C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Summit Point Redeaux

Old 07-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default Summit Point Redeaux

I'm back at Summit Point again today and tomorrow terrorizing the Porsches, a McLaren 570, and a few other guys. I decided to run the OEM Cup 2s again today to see how fast I could get with them and the result was that I was pretty easily able to get in the mid to upper 1:16s but couldn't beat a 1:16.46. That's about 1.5s slower than my best so far in this car on the Pirelli scrubs. The good news is that the Cups show no signs of delaminating and the didn't seem to fall off as much as I remember before but they are getting really torn up on the outside shoulder so I'm going back to Pirelli scrubs for tomorrow. I think that running the tires for a couple of sessions and them putting them away at the last even really helps with the longevity of these tires.

I complained a lot about the high speed understeer in the car at my last outing and my first couple of sessions today felt the same. However, I went and looked at the data and in most of the places I was pushing I was also running 2-3 MPH faster so I may just be overdriving the car. I've backed it down a touch and worked on technique and to be honest I no longer notice the understeer and am still able to get close to my best from this morning. I still think getting the DSC Sport controller in this car and dialed in is going to be the hot ticket.

Temps got as high as 87 today and for the heck of it I did my last session with the A/C on. I have to admit it was really nice and I was just out there clicking off laps in the mid to upper 1:17s in the groove with the A/C blasting. The A/C seems to add about 5 degrees to the coolant and engine temps compared to previous sessions without it. I saw 226F coolant and 280F oil at the end of that session and the temps looked to be stabilized. I didn't notice any lack of performance in the car and I may just run this way all the time.

I posted a video of me chasing down a trio of 991 GT3 cars in another thread but here's the session where I set my new PB on Cup 2 tires.

The following 8 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
CPhelps (07-19-2018), DebRedZR1 (07-27-2018), HorsePowerAddicts (07-19-2018), ilkSurfer (07-18-2018), Palantirion (07-19-2018), Telepierre (07-22-2018), WilliamCall (07-18-2018), zhopper05 (07-21-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Nice write up Sean. Always a pleasure reading your track reports.

Did you add the CAI to your car? What’s your thoughts?

I'm really anxious to get the new update from Mike for the DSC Controller... according to him it’s going to knock our socks off... the waiting is killing me.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Questar
Nice write up Sean. Always a pleasure reading your track reports.

Did you add the CAI to your car? What’s your thoughts?

I'm really anxious to get the new update from Mike for the DSC Controller... according to him it’s going to knock our socks off... the waiting is killing me.
Thanks. Mike was supposed to be here yesterday but was tied up at the office. I'm hoping to see him out here today.

I put the RVK intake on my car before it was even broken in so I can't really compare A/B.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:18 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Hi Sean,

Just got DSC installed late last week at TPC. Mike and I were talking about your phenomenal car and setup. You've been tremendous in your support to all of us. This is with respect to the calibration and setup to say the least.

Now, it's up to me with regard to get tutuored on how to change the different suspension parameters. With DSC installed, I cannot wait to storm track days. I will be going back to Summit Point Main on 9/7 with FATT. Should be a good validation test of the DSC unit. My previous track day at SP was this last May with MRC update (see below). There was a lot of traffic and could not push.

Other data from the entire session -

Just wanted to drop in and say THANK YOU!

Last edited by Checkmate1; 07-19-2018 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (07-19-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I have to say that by the end of the second day I am really happy with how this car is handling, especially on the Pirelli scrubs. The balance felt great and could run consistent 1:15's without feeling like I had to push myself and the car in to the uncomfortable area.

Another thing I forgot to mention from Day 1 was that I decided to splurge on the 100 octane to see if it had any noticeable effect on performance. I first ran the tank nearly dry on track and then I put in 17 gallons of 100 octane. The ambient temp was 87F and I ran two separate sessions on this tank. The bottom line is that I saw no difference in top speed, laptime, or power running the 100 octane over the 93 octane at the track. To be honest I'm kind of glad because I really don't want to be putting in $150+ to fill up the tank each time at the track.

Here's the last session I ended up running on day 2. As you can see it was 6 laps of 1:15's. On the last lap you might notice the brakes go to the floor heading in to T10. That's the first time I've ever had that happen but it was clear once I got back to the paddock. I knew my rear pads were about done but I wasn't really paying attention to the fronts. When I came back from that session both front and rear pads were backing plates on rotors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
DebRedZR1 (07-27-2018), desmophile (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 PM
Questar
Pro

Are these the factory CC brakes still or the AP Racing setup?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:30 PM
Questar
Pro

Did you get to try the new DSC firmware update? How was it?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:32 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Couple of little wiggles in the beginning! ;)

Thanks! Understeer or Oversteer - nope none of that. I was punting when you called that! And Pobst...
Old 07-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Are these the factory CC brakes still or the AP Racing setup?
AP Racing. It's the first time I've ever boiled Castrol SRF but I imagine without any pad material to dissipate heat and metal to metal it put a lot of extra heat in the system.

Did you get to try the new DSC firmware update? How was it?
Nope. I have another test box that I just put my car today. So far PTM is working after several restarts so we'll see how it goes this week.

One more observation. It appears we are back to puking trans fluid everywhere just like the two C7 Z06s. I'm going to clean it up and change the fluid and see what that does.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 07-21-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I have to say that by the end of the second day I am really happy with how this car is handling, especially on the Pirelli scrubs. The balance felt great and could run consistent 1:15's without feeling like I had to push myself and the car in to the uncomfortable area.

Another thing I forgot to mention from Day 1 was that I decided to splurge on the 100 octane to see if it had any noticeable effect on performance. I first ran the tank nearly dry on track and then I put in 17 gallons of 100 octane. The ambient temp was 87F and I ran two separate sessions on this tank. The bottom line is that I saw no difference in top speed, laptime, or power running the 100 octane over the 93 octane at the track. To be honest I'm kind of glad because I really don't want to be putting in $150+ to fill up the tank each time at the track.

Here's the last session I ended up running on day 2. As you can see it was 6 laps of 1:15's. On the last lap you might notice the brakes go to the floor heading in to T10. That's the first time I've ever had that happen but it was clear once I got back to the paddock. I knew my rear pads were about done but I wasn't really paying attention to the fronts. When I came back from that session both front and rear pads were backing plates on rotors.
https://youtu.be/r2hilUj35hQ
Do you think you have hit the limits of a car of this weight with current tire technology on that track? or 99% and change anyway?
Old 07-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

Do you think you have hit the limits of a car of this weight with current tire technology on that track? or 99% and change anyway?
The data shows that mid to low 1:14s are possible if I can do everything right. Once we get the DSC controller in and tuned that'll be good for some more time as well. Also, remember that I'm running slicks that other people are getting rid of because they are past their prime so new slicks will be faster *if* I can adjust my driving to take advantage of it. Does that get us in to the 13's? Possibly but I really become the limitation there.

For perspective, they had a TransAm team testing at SP a couple weeks back and it was turning mid 1:13s. Everyone likes to complain about the weight of this car and how we're at the limits of the front engine layout but the reality is that we have performance that is on par with many purpose built racecars. The biggest downside I see to the weight is just the consumables cost.
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
desmophile (07-21-2018), Lavender (07-21-2018), Newton06 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

The data shows that mid to low 1:14s are possible if I can do everything right. Once we get the DSC controller in and tuned that'll be good for some more time as well. Also, remember that I'm running slicks that other people are getting rid of because they are past their prime so new slicks will be faster *if* I can adjust my driving to take advantage of it. Does that get us in to the 13's? Possibly but I really become the limitation there.

For perspective, they had a TransAm team testing at SP a couple weeks back and it was turning mid 1:13s. Everyone likes to complain about the weight of this car and how we're at the limits of the front engine layout but the reality is that we have performance that is on par with many purpose built racecars. The biggest downside I see to the weight is just the consumables cost.
That’s awesome
Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree with that. Most of the people whining about the weight dont even track. With NASA, the fastest laps are from dedicated track cars at 1:13.7 for an unlimited car and 1:14.1 for a TT1 car. For you to be able to buy some scrubs and be within a whisker after a couple of days on track in a tires only ZR1 is a real testament. Guys like me had to spend 10's of thousands to make cars that fast. Straight off the showroom is a treat and I occasionally have a bout of jealousy thinking about how much work it took for me to get there. Get you some aftermarket pads. Pagid makes good ones and PFC even better ones. Pagid yellows were run on cup cars for the 24 at Daytona some years back, they would last a whole season on my TT when it was a 3650 lb street car and I was out running 6 and 7 GT3's for whole sessions.
Lavender (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Sure, it's fine very stiff and kept flat! ;)

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I agree with that. Most of the people whining about the weight dont even track. With NASA, the fastest laps are from dedicated track cars at 1:13.7 for an unlimited car and 1:14.1 for a TT1 car. For you to be able to buy some scrubs and be within a whisker after a couple of days on track in a tires only ZR1 is a real testament. Guys like me had to spend 10's of thousands to make cars that fast. Straight off the showroom is a treat and I occasionally have a bout of jealousy thinking about how much work it took for me to get there. Get you some aftermarket pads. Pagid makes good ones and PFC even better ones. Pagid yellows were run on cup cars for the 24 at Daytona some years back, they would last a whole season on my TT when it was a 3650 lb street car and I was out running 6 and 7 GT3's for whole sessions.
We will see.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-21-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. It was pretty nice clipping off a bunch of 1:15s with the AC on the seat blower going

I run Ferodo DS 1.11 pads and really like them. It's amazing you were getting that kind of longevity out of brake pads in a car that was equally heavy.
desmophile (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:42 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

How many days did you get out of the Ferodo? I just went back to look and those particular pads are getting rave reviews from the Porsche guys too.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:07 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Which PTM mode were you running the Pirelli scrubs on?

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point Redeaux

Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Funny! ;)

I agree with that. Most of the people whining about the weight dont even track.
'on my TT when it was a 3650 lb street car'
Less AWD I get 3,208lb+the safety equip. for us Babies!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-21-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Race! VID!? ;)

Originally Posted by desmophile
Which PTM mode were you running the Pirelli scrubs on?

Old 07-21-2018, 11:06 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

AP Racing. It's the first time I've ever boiled Castrol SRF but I imagine without any pad material to dissipate heat and metal to metal it put a lot of extra heat in the system.
I boiled my SRF last year in T1 at VIR due to low pad material.

The result was a nasty encounter with the T10 tirewall.

Glad you escaped unscathed,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summit Point Redeaux