C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

The factory touched up a ding on my fender and a detailer found it

Old 07-27-2018, 12:04 PM
bandctaylorare
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The factory touched up a ding on my fender and a detailer found it

I had a ceramic pro coating put on and while the installer was doing the paint correction he found a spot on the front fender. I thought maybe the dealership fixed it from transport damage but they told me that didn't happen.
They didnt try to spray the whole fender but just spot sprayed. I never noticed but after he showed me it was obvious. It had some tape lines and a little over spray. I called the dealer and they are going to take a look and determine if indeed it was from the factory and and respray the fender.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This is not something that the factory would allow. It appears that the installer got too aggressive on the "paint correction."

I would ask the installer what process he used to correct the paint.
The following users liked this post:
KnightDriveTV (08-16-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 12:52 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Ouch and sorry , what Adam said ^^^ The new paint looks so great I would hesitate any paint correction as things like this can happen. Ceramic Pro has been great on my Z but debating on my ZR.

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 07-27-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

I’ll put my money on that’s the installers handiwork. Even the dealer would do better than that.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:29 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree with everyone else. That doesn't look like the clear was missed or sprayed over, it looks like it was removed. I seriously doubt that would have been missed by everyone at the dealership during inspection PDI and prep or yourself at the time of delivery/purchase.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,754 Likes on 3,174 Posts

yep. i concur... detailer tried to hard to REMOVE something that wasn't there or was too embedded in the paint (or panel imperfection) and burned through. hopefully you are made whole.. things happen brother. it will work out.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Absolutely agree with the others. I'm betting your paint correction dude taped the headlights, and 'corrected' right through your clear coat into the base with a wool pad on a DA orbital, then pulled the 'look what I just noticed...must've happened at the dealership'.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Paint correction? More like paint destruction.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:10 PM
llesswon
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's overspray, a clay bar will start to pull up the excess and you will be left with clear coat underneath - you could try it on a small spot. It's difficult to tell just looking at the one picture, but it sure looks like they burned through the clear.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 PM
bandctaylorare
Heel & Toe

It was definitely NOT the detailer. He saw the difference immediately when he started wet sanding the area and called and sent pictures before he ever found the spot that was fixed. He doesn't us a "DA sander". Only wet sanding and buffing as he is the best at what he does. This was done at the factory. The area that you see the different color is whats left of the new paint that was spayed over the original paint , he left that to show the dealership. I saw the tape lines around the headlight with some over spray and it was OBVIOUS it had been touched up.

Last edited by bandctaylorare; 07-27-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:33 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I don’t think that happened at the factory. I can’t imagine they would let that go through QC like that. And if your detailer didn’t do it, that leaves the transport driver or the dealer and in either case there, the dealer would have touched it up. Do you believe everything the dealer tells you?
Old 07-27-2018, 09:07 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,323 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
I don’t think that happened at the factory. I can’t imagine they would let that go through QC like that. And if your detailer didn’t do it, that leaves the transport driver or the dealer and in either case there, the dealer would have touched it up. Do you believe everything the dealer tells you?
You might be surprised about what gets through QC.
olivine28 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bandctaylorare
It was definitely NOT the detailer. He saw the difference immediately when he started wet sanding the area and called and sent pictures before he ever found the spot that was fixed. He doesn't us a "DA sander". Only wet sanding and buffing as he is the best at what he does. This was done at the factory. The area that you see the different color is whats left of the new paint that was spayed over the original paint , he left that to show the dealership. I saw the tape lines around the headlight with some over spray and it was OBVIOUS it had been touched up.
He had already started wetsanding? The edges of every panel is where the clearcoat is thinnest, we would have to see the picture of the headlight taped first as well. From this picture we all think this is where your detailer burned throught the clear. This is 100% burnt through clearcoat on the edges, especially where the picture was taken as well. Clear is where you can see a reflection and the base/primer is the dull part where you see no reflection. I HIGHLY doubt the factory would of painted a car and burnt through the edges The truck hauling the car could not do this either, nor the dealership unless they touched the car with sandpaper or held a rotary to the paint there for a longg time. The detailer may of also tried to touch it up.

The problem here is that it looks straight up like burnt clearcoat. Good luck to you man in getting it fixed and you will, either through the dealer or detailer.

Edit: Also it does not matter if it is a DA or palm sander or wetsanding by hand. They can all burn CC, the higher the numerical number the less likely. What I want to know, why was he wetsanding a new C7Z? To get rid of Orange Peel? That Orange Peel is part of you clear coat because that tells you your clearcoat is still thick, you get rid of the orange peel, you are now left with a thin layer of clear that you better protect with a strong coating, PPF, or both.

Last edited by Innovate; 07-27-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Ding fender detailer

Ok just my opinion! Two things happened. First dealer saw something and tried to fix then hide! Question, did you even look at the car? Was it there already? If not, paint correction guy did it!1...2 if paint correction guy did it and tried to hide it, it means he burned thru again...
Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 PM
bandctaylorare
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Innovate
He had already started wetsanding? The edges of every panel is where the clearcoat is thinnest, we would have to see the picture of the headlight taped first as well. From this picture we all think this is where your detailer burned throught the clear. This is 100% burnt through clearcoat on the edges, especially where the picture was taken as well. Clear is where you can see a reflection and the base/primer is the dull part where you see no reflection. I HIGHLY doubt the factory would of painted a car and burnt through the edges The truck hauling the car could not do this either, nor the dealership unless they touched the car with sandpaper or held a rotary to the paint there for a longg time. The detailer may of also tried to touch it up.

The problem here is that it looks straight up like burnt clearcoat. Good luck to you man in getting it fixed and you will, either through the dealer or detailer.

Edit: Also it does not matter if it is a DA or palm sander or wetsanding by hand. They can all burn CC, the higher the numerical number the less likely. What I want to know, why was he wetsanding a new C7Z? To get rid of Orange Peel? That Orange Peel is part of you clear coat because that tells you your clearcoat is still thick, you get rid of the orange peel, you are now left with a thin layer of clear that you better protect with a strong coating, PPF, or both.
Its not burnt clear coat. It was wet sanded and the dull is some of the cover up paint left on the car. wet sanding with 2000 grit paper will barley remove any clear coat.

Last edited by bandctaylorare; 07-27-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:24 PM
bandctaylorare
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by carsnpars
Ok just my opinion! Two things happened. First dealer saw something and tried to fix then hide! Question, did you even look at the car? Was it there already? If not, paint correction guy did it!1...2 if paint correction guy did it and tried to hide it, it means he burned thru again...
Of course i looked at the car, i didn't see where it had been touched up because it blended in very well. Only the wet sanding showed the paint difference,
Old 07-27-2018, 10:30 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Its not burnt clear coat. It was wet sanded and the dull is some of the cover up paint left on the car. wet sanding with 2000 grit paper will barley remove any clear coat.
If he sanded with 2k it should be more uniform and not spotty with clear in amongst the dull. 2k can definitely remove clearcoat. Once you start any wetsanding, you are in the realm of more than "barely" removing clearcoat.

Get notified of new replies

To The factory touched up a ding on my fender and a detailer found it

Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 PM
bandctaylorare
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Innovate
If he sanded with 2k it should be more uniform and not spotty with clear in amongst the dull. 2k can definitely remove clearcoat. Once you start any wetsanding, you are in the realm of more than "barely" removing clearcoat.
Um no.........you're wrong. Whats left on the car is the spray from the touch up and there is no way in hell you can burn clear coat wet sanding with 2000 grit paper.

Last edited by bandctaylorare; 07-27-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Um no.........you're wrong. Whats left on the car is the spray from the touch up and there is no way in hell you can burn clear coat wet sanding with 2000 grit paper.
OP...sometimes we don’t want to accept an answer...unfortunately I agree with those who say it was the detailer who appears to have gotten too aggressive in his correction...you are new here, I promise you this community is not one that will unnecessarily attack you nor tolerate it...there may be a SLIM chance this came from the factory like this but I sincerely doubt it...

The fact that this can happen is why I put my own Ceramic Pro coating on my Z06 and why I will do the same on my ZR 1 myself...

Good luck in getting this resolved...

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 07-28-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:55 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 391 Posts

I had a ceramic pro coating put on and while the installer was doing the paint correction he found a spot on the front fender. I thought maybe the dealership fixed it from transport damage but they told me that didn't happen.
They didnt try to spray the whole fender but just spot sprayed. I never noticed but after he showed me it was obvious. It had some tape lines and a little over spray. I called the dealer and they are going to take a look and determine if indeed it was from the factory and and respray the fender.
In my opinion, and I'm no body man, but the grey area that people are saying was buffed thru still looks mottled or like orange peel, leading me to believe the OP is correct that it is overspray.
If it had been sanded and buffed out, it would be smoother than that.
The round spot that is "burned thru" is clearly visible below what appears to be overspray.

Bummer, man, but you'll get it fixed.
Good luck.
djnice (07-28-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The factory touched up a ding on my fender and a detailer found it