C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Summit Point Shenandoah Track Day Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Yeah, it's much easier to play with the limit in slower speed corners. I definitely wouldn't mess with T3 at VIR - just ask Jan Magnusson.

LOL! I'm quite certain that would be a big disappointment for everyone with me driving.
Im sure I’d have lots of company watching your PDR of it.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:53 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 120hrs in his first C7 ZO6! ;)

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Dude, you live at the track? Envious!!!
His motor was done!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-01-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

We lowered the front 3/8", the owners manual recommends a 1/2". Honestly this is the only track where it's been an issue and the Karousel is very extreme case.
How many turns of the adjuster did it take to get it to lower 3/8”?
thanks, Bob
Old 08-02-2018, 02:18 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll be back on the main course 8/11-12 with Chin. Come on by!
PM Sent.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:21 AM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Holy closing speeds batman...lol.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U
How many turns of the adjuster did it take to get it to lower 3/8”?
thanks, Bob
I believe it was 3 full turns.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
In before the keyboard jockeys/roll race disciples nuke the thread with blabber about how much GM sucks and the ZR1 can't hold a candle to the C7Z or C6 ZR1. Either that, or armed with real-world facts from an experienced owner/driver, this thread is so toxic to their arguments that they don't dare to engage...
^+++

But, but, it got its a** handed to it by the [Huracan, GT2RS, 720S, insert cars costing 2x - 3x which you will NEVER see on track] in this [YouTube video, auto rag review]...

Sean, Questar & other have repeatedly proven that the ZR1 is in its element on a road course (duh), and does offer the improvements GM claims over the Z06.

'nuff said
desmophile (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Tighter than CMP? CMP is fairly tight, and the surface is old and rough, so sliding is expected. The only really hairy areas are the kink and maybe turn 3, otherwise it's a great track for car control exercise. Lots of runoff in most places too as long as you don't go inwards towards the trees that is. In that regard its similar to Summit.
I just don't feel the love for CMP and respectfully disagree about runoff. Yes in the back carousel section you can play, but drivers have been killed running off track there (T8/9), and T3 has zero forgiveness. If and when they repave, I may consider returning, but I much prefer VIR.

Sean you are right about T3 at VIR. I forgot that I've almost thrown it away there on more than a few occasions, usually taking an inside PB...
Old 08-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Originally Posted by nch209
PM Sent.
Shoot I did not see them on the VIR calendar.

I was planning on instructing for TrackDaze & NASA later this month.

Need to see if I can get my ducks in a row in time for Chin. I had all 4 Cup 2 tires delaminate after my last VIR stint and am working on getting the replacements.

You should be able to lay some awesome track times since Chin is the fastest group I've ever driven with & you rarely (if ever) get held-up by slower drivers/trains. In fact, they usually black flag/demote you if you hold a faster driver up anywhere. Lot's of racers (both am & pro) usually attend Chin for those reasons. Mario Andretti and the ALMS teams were out running with Chin earlier this year - they are FAST.

Last edited by Newton06; 08-02-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
I just don't feel the love for CMP and respectfully disagree about runoff. Yes in the back carousel section you can play, but drivers have been killed running off track there (T8/9), and T3 has zero forgiveness. If and when they repave, I may consider returning, but I much prefer VIR.

Sean you are right about T3 at VIR. I forgot that I've almost thrown it away there on more than a few occasions, usually taking an inside PB...
Farily sure same thing happened at Summit, in fact a couple of years ago in the same week at the respective tracks. I think that was trees as well. Some groups refused to go back until it was addressed at Summit. You can, and usually do, slide all over CMP. Like I said turn 3-4 straight, turn 8 I believe is where the incident happened and the kink are the places you need to be careful the others are too slow to get in trouble. Just my opinion.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​
Newton06 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Bob U
Drifting

I believe it was 3 full turns.
thanks.
Sounds like each turn is worth 1/8”.
Did you lower the rear any?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Bob U
Drifting

You mentioned in your first post that you started running the wing in the higher angle of attack position.
How did that change effect the handling?
Thanks Bob
Old 08-02-2018, 10:54 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Super vids as always!! Wow 5 second delta VS your C7 Z06 with Pirelli scrubs / upgraded suspension. Soooo glad the ZR1 corrected high AIT temp issues with extra supercharge cooling. It shows you must have been pulling timing and power loss with your C7 Z06 compared to your ZR1?? Not that much difference in suspension but greater down force that requires extra HP/TRQ.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Farily sure same thing happened at Summit, in fact a couple of years ago in the same week at the respective tracks. I think that was trees as well. Some groups refused to go back until it was addressed at Summit. You can, and usually do, slide all over CMP. Like I said turn 3-4 straight, turn 8 I believe is where the incident happened and the kink are the places you need to be careful the others are too slow to get in trouble. Just my opinion.

​​
The Summit Point fatality I am aware of was on Jefferson Circuit but I'm not saying there weren't others. I know T9 on main was notorious for bad wrecks and they recently moved the tire wall back and took out a bunch of trees. The issue used to be cars hitting the berm and launching in to the trees.

thanks.
Sounds like each turn is worth 1/8”.
Did you lower the rear any?
No change to the rear.

You mentioned in your first post that you started running the wing in the higher angle of attack position.
How did that change effect the handling?
Thanks Bob
I didn't notice much of an effect on Shenandoah as it's such a tight technical track. I believe it helped some with putting the power down on corner exit which was my goal. Interestingly, the car seems to decel more on the highway today when I drove it to work. I need to put the wing back to the lower angle.

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
Super vids as always!! Wow 5 second delta VS your C7 Z06 with Pirelli scrubs / upgraded suspension. Soooo glad the ZR1 corrected high AIT temp issues with extra supercharge cooling. It shows you must have been pulling timing and power loss with your C7 Z06 compared to your ZR1?? Not that much difference in suspension but greater down force that requires extra HP/TRQ.
In fairness, the last trip to Shenandoah was two years ago and I have been working on my driving skills so some of that is driver mod.

Originally Posted by Newton06
Shoot I did not see them on the VIR calendar.

I was planning on instructing for TrackDaze & NASA later this month.

Need to see if I can get my ducks in a row in time for Chin. I had all 4 Cup 2 tires delaminate after my last VIR stint and am working on getting the replacements.

You should be able to lay some awesome track times since Chin is the fastest group I've ever driven with & you rarely (if ever) get held-up by slower drivers/trains. In fact, they usually black flag/demote you if you hold a faster driver up anywhere. Lot's of racers (both am & pro) usually attend Chin for those reasons. Mario Andretti and the ALMS teams were out running with Chin earlier this year - they are FAST.
The Chin event in a week is at Summit Point and I get lots of open track at the driver's club events there. I am likely going to the HOD event at VIR October 4/5 now. My September is just packed with non-car things.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 08-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:47 PM
ashmostro
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Ha! Poor-Sha... we met at the event in the morning on Sunday. I introduced myself and complimented you on your gorgeous ZR-1. I've got the '18 GS in Ceramic Matrix Grey. I was camped out by the back of the Cafe and man, every time you pulled onto the back straight my spine tingled from the sound of WOT goodness

Looking forward to looking at the videos more closely when I get home. Just wanted to say hi and connect the screen name to the face.

-Ash
Poor-sha (08-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Summit Point Shenandoah Track Day Report