C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Let this be a lesson GM. Dump superchargers and TURBO

Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
Turbos have lag and, more importantly, ruin sound.
check out the engine on a Ford GT - twin turbo of the 3.5L v6 in a F150 truck... 647/ 550... P 918 Spyder time at Willow Springs. No lag. Tell me how it sounds:

If Ford can do it...

Last edited by Parcival; 08-19-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

check out the engine on a Ford GT - twin turbo of the 3.5L v6 in a F150 truck... 647/ 550... P 918 Spyder time at Willow Springs. No lag. Tell me how it sounds:
https://youtu.be/dOOp4GDBILY

If Ford can do it...
- It does have throttle lag, and sounds like crap compared to what it could sound like. The latter is one of the most common complaints about the GT. If you really want to hear bad sounding turbos go drive a new BMW M3, 4 or 5. BMW engines used to sound sweet and distinctive, now they are either too quite or with aftermarket exhaust they sound like diesel tractors (some of that is the DI).
The following users liked this post:
Bad_AX (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 02:00 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Palantirion
- It does have throttle lag, and sounds like crap compared to what it could sound like. The latter is one of the most common complaints about the GT. If you really want to hear bad sounding turbos go drive a new BMW M3, 4 or 5. BMW engines used to sound sweet and distinctive, now they are either too quite or with aftermarket exhaust they sound like diesel tractors (some of that is the DI).
If the video I linked doesn’t sound good to you, That is a fair opinion.

However, your two comments make me call BS: “ Most common complaints”, which guys say when they haven’t surveyed anything, then you jump to discussing Bimmers, which people (including me) have already discussed on this forum sounds like “crap” but has nothing to do with my 2017 Ford GT comment... including those are twin turbo v8 that sound so bad BMW advertises they have to pipe enhanced fake exhaust sound into the driver cabin through the stereo.

please cite some real experts (MT, R&T, C&D... or at least Jalopnik or Demuro or the Top Gear guys) who say the 2017 Ford Gt has significant turbo lag or a “crap” exhaust note and i’ll come back with more saying the exact opposite (doubt u will). Maybe you will kindly prove I was completely wrong with a pic of a GT VIN plate showing u have one...And I’ll come back with one (admittedly, my family member’s) and then we’ll have a real critical discussion. Hate to see some loose comments made abt one of the greatest performance cars out of America.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-20-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:26 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

If the video I linked doesn’t sound good to you, That is a fair opinion.

However, your two comments make me call BS: “ Most common complaints”, which guys say when they haven’t surveyed anything, then you jump to discussing Bimmers, which people (including me) have already discussed on this forum sounds like “crap” but has nothing to do with my 2017 Ford GT comment... including those are twin turbo v8 that sound so bad BMW advertises they have to pipe enhanced fake exhaust sound into the driver cabin through the stereo.

please cite some real experts (MT, R&T, C&D... or at least Jalopnik or Demuro or the Top Gear guys) who say the 2017 Ford Gt has significant turbo lag or a “crap” exhaust note and i’ll come back with more saying the exact opposite (doubt u will). Maybe you will kindly prove I was completely wrong with a pic of a GT VIN plate showing u have one...And I’ll come back with one (admittedly, my family member’s) and then we’ll have a real critical discussion. Hate to see some loose comments made abt one of the greatest performance cars out of America.
1) Go read or watch any review of the GT. It will have a negative comment about the exhaust note, usually comparing it's lack of interest to the competition.

2) My turbo comment was regarding your statement "No lag." There is no turbo engine that has "no lag", it is a physical impossibility. I have yet to experience a modern turbo engine that didn't have a slight, but irritating, lag off-idle.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:04 AM
Parcival
Drifting

please cite some real experts (...) who say the 2017 Ford Gt has significant turbo lag or a “crap” exhaust note ...
1) Go read or watch any review of the GT. It will have a negative comment about the exhaust note, usually comparing it's lack of interest to the competition.
thanks for all the citations! Well. there’s always somebody who won’t like something, no doubt you’ll only love the Ford GT350 note, or the ZR1 which you’re always posting abt.

but it’s hard to say, even for a Master- d-Bator that u clearly r, “any review “ will be bad on the exhaust note!

heres one counterexample specifically on the exhaust:
https://carbuzz.com/news/the-ford-gt...hypercar-elite
“ Luckily the noise that it made was as sweet as you’d expect from a rare supercar.“

or for the “lack of interest to the competition” (Motortrend):
” This is a supercar like no other.“

2) My turbo comment was regarding your statement "No lag." There is no turbo engine that has "no lag", it is a physical impossibility. I have yet to experience a modern turbo engine that didn't have a slight, but irritating, lag off-idle.
no sh*t, fair enough, my fault for exaggerating clearly with Richard Feynman. ok, let me backtrack from “no lag” to my second statement of “no significant lag” (which i already clarified for u to answer)...Or maybe, “ world class leading turbo in a GTLM Le Mans winner with 0 to 3000rpm torque time of sub-second (Vs most turbos of >1s) using their anti-lag system” for the lawyers... but I’m afraid you’ll still notice it with your Lewis Hamilton -like skills or when you get to drive it one day for the Chip Ganassi team!

Last edited by Parcival; 08-20-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

.Or maybe, “ world class leading turbo in a GTLM Le Mans winner with 0 to 3000rpm torque time of sub-second (Vs most turbos of >1s) using their anti-lag system”
Different Ford GT, not the street legal version.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Different Ford GT, not the street legal version.
Yep that’s fair - like lumping C7.R GTLM in with a vette even if the tech is related...

the statement only needs to remove that part:
Street legal version is” world class leading turbo with 0 to 3000rpm torque time of sub-second (Vs most turbos of >1s) using their anti-lag system (in Track mode)” and add “ running similar time (1:23.6) by Motortrend /same driver at Willow as 918 Spyder “. which btw was what ZR1 put up and is less $ to boot!

f GT: gotta admit that’s impressive for a V6 engine coming from the most popular pickup truck in America!

Last edited by Parcival; 08-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Well. there’s always somebody who won’t like something, no doubt you’ll only love the Ford GT350 note, or the ZR1 which you’re always posting abt.

- Actually as a life-long Ford fan I hate the sound of the new Mustang GTs and GT350, and the XK for the same reason: too much faked burble and a lack of tone. I like, but don't love, the C7 ZR1's exhaust note and plan to x-pipe mine once I get it to smooth it out. The C7 Grand Sport with Corsa exhaust sounds amazing! And since I know you are wondering: My cell's notification ringtone is a 2nd-gear pull of a GT-40 MkI, perhaps the best sounding Ford smallblock. The best sounding automotive engine of all time is the 1954 BRM V16.

Last edited by Palantirion; 08-20-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 PM
Parcival
Drifting

- Actually as a life-long Ford fan I hate the sound of the new Mustang GTs and GT350, and the XK for the same reason: too much faked burble and a lack of tone. I like, but don't love, the C7 ZR1's exhaust note and plan to x-pipe mine once I get it to smooth it out. The C7 Grand Sport with Corsa exhaust sounds amazing! And since I know you are wondering: My cell's notification ringtone is a 2nd-gear pull of a GT-40 MkI, perhaps the best sounding Ford smallblock. The best sounding automotive engine of all time is the 1954 BRM V16.
I’ve only heard GT40 mk1 and BRM in videos (eg, Goodwood Revival) and they sound great!

I had the pleasure of hearing a 2006 Ford Gt cranked from the garage. The V8s no doubt sound better than the current version but it’s not bad.

I saw a BRMV16 restoration in the last Indy race at sonoma last year but unfortunately it wasn’t cranked.

For a turbo, I like the Ferrari F40 engine sound.

PS i like your bmw artwork!

Last edited by Parcival; 08-20-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
With Turbos I don't think you will ever get that instant low rpm grunt the LT4 has. The LT4 and LT5 both have ridiculous amounts of torque at 1000 rpm and I suspect getting the same result from a Turbo setup would be challenging at best. The chief advantage of the Turbo always has been it is more efficient. It uses waste engine heat to produce more power while the supercharger consumes crankshaft power to make more power. However, at low just off idle rpms the waste heat isn't sufficient to drive as much boost as the supercharger can at those rpms. Maybe GM will provide an electrically driven Turbo that will bring the blower up to speed at low engine rpms and phase out as engine rpms increase to where it can be driven by exhaust gases.

Bill
That's what Audi does..just means more complication and thus more expense. Still like my supercharged '16 Audi SQ5 a lot - surprise for some Ram Drivers!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:16 AM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

I’m sure people can see the similarities between the attitude and type of responses of some of the posters here and the anchors of some of the news outlets (hence my fox news example).

”Cant comment on it, unless you own it”. Probably the most short sighted and arrogant attitude I have seen here. I will probably never own a Corvette, the ZR1 reviews was an eye opener for me. Its not some disappointing car by any means, it just made me realize the market for it, which I am not part of, is completely different.

GT350 offers a far more raw and harsh driving experience than a corvette. And thats what I want. I gave up an M5 for it precisely because luxury, comfort, and features were things I didnt care for. I want raw intoxicating driving experience. I want an engine that makes me work hard, a car that is easy to toss around and doesnt try to kill you. NONE of those things will ever work in a corvette because they simply wont make a naturally aspirated track focused lightweight car. Superchargers or forced induction in a car like this is just against all the things I am looking for in a car.
So did I, which is why I bought a '17 Shelby GT350. I was enamored of the VooDoo engine, the intoxicating exhaust, excellent transmission. Not so enamored anymore. I saw someone on one of the forums is tracking engine failures that are reported from a pretty small group of owners from two or three forums and the blown engine count now exceeds 60, with some owners having had TWO engines fail. Two out of five of my friends who bought these have had engine failures one on track, the other street driving. I have not had a failure. Innumerable stories of high oil consumption to the point you are advised to check oil almost at every fuel fill-up. Car & Driver last reported their long term test Shelby as quaffing large amounts of oil. The rear bumper sections of these cars are notorious for quickly sagging and leaving kit car size bumper gaps. Ford saying consuming 1 quart of oil every 500 miles can be considered normal with aggressive driving. Clearly the 5.2FPC motor was a great idea on paper, maybe in reality it is just too large of a displacement for an FPC. Not to mention widespread A/C failures. Not exactly what I was hoping for in a $61k MSRP car that Ford dealers were trying and sometimes ripping off customers for thousands over MSRP.. I did buy mine for MSRP. And it is going out the door 10 days to be replaced by a '19 Z06. If Ford had made the Shelby what it could have been and should have been, I would not be getting rid of the car.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
So did I, which is why I bought a '17 Shelby GT350. I was enamored of the VooDoo engine, the intoxicating exhaust, excellent transmission. Not so enamored anymore. I saw someone on one of the forums is tracking engine failures that are reported from a pretty small group of owners from two or three forums and the blown engine count now exceeds 60, with some owners having had TWO engines fail. Two out of five of my friends who bought these have had engine failures one on track, the other street driving. I have not had a failure. Innumerable stories of high oil consumption to the point you are advised to check oil almost at every fuel fill-up. Car & Driver last reported their long term test Shelby as quaffing large amounts of oil. The rear bumper sections of these cars are notorious for quickly sagging and leaving kit car size bumper gaps. Ford saying consuming 1 quart of oil every 500 miles can be considered normal with aggressive driving. Clearly the 5.2FPC motor was a great idea on paper, maybe in reality it is just too large of a displacement for an FPC. Not to mention widespread A/C failures. Not exactly what I was hoping for in a $61k MSRP car that Ford dealers were trying and sometimes ripping off customers for thousands over MSRP.. I did buy mine for MSRP. And it is going out the door 10 days to be replaced by a '19 Z06. If Ford had made the Shelby what it could have been and should have been, I would not be getting rid of the car.
What was the nature of the engine failures?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Exaggaration is what this engine failure is.

i have 30,000 miles on my gt350. Its daily driven including snow and ice. Saw sub 0 temperatures consistently for 2 winters. No failures. The only time the car went to a dealer in 30,000 miles was for A/C fix around 8,000 miles. Oil consumption is 1,500 miles/1 qt which is normal (my m5 had a TT and it needed 1 qt every 2,000 miles). I owned BMWs before for a decade (all Ms) and this GT350 has required far less dealer visits (just 1 in 23 months/30,000 miles) than all of my previous cars. Its built like a tank.

people’s car fail because MAJORITY of them dont understand how to take care of their car:

- NEVER idle a car when its cold (most think they are “baby”ing it). The WORST thing you can do is having that 50 weight oil circulate for several seconds/minute. ALWAYS drive away right away.
- ALWAYS shift at 3500 rpm until oil is at least 160F. Then at 4500 rpm until its 180F.
- Tape off the front grill leaving small entry point for air when its cold otherwise the oil temp NEVER exceeds 160F for hours/miles
- Change oil every 3500-4000 miles

Majority of those 60 failures are I m sorry but people who dont understand cars. Who dont check oil levels. Who dont understand oil pressure and cold vs warm oil. That engine becomes a ticking time bomb if you are not careful.

I will drive mine even when the doors fall off. It has so much power for naturally aspirated and so much torque that it feels like turbo charged. It sounds incredible and so unique that even after 30,000 miles I still turn heads and get thumbs up consistently. Z06 is just another push rod v8 with a truck engine that sounds exactly the same the last several decades. They are everywhere. I live in tri state area and the number of times I have seen a gt350 is 3 (THREE) total in these 23 months of ownership. I saw more than 3 Z06s this week alone.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 390 Posts

All due respect, I have never seen one turbo car built properly make LESS TORQUE at 2000rpm and up.
What people call turbo lag is simply the perception that the car makes so much more power as it climbs the rpm range, that it feels soft at low rpm, when in fact it is actually making more torque than a similar stock NA engine at all RPM.
Again, not talking about a T88 Supra but a properly built street-oriented turbo setup.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 390 Posts

i have 30,000 miles on my gt350. Its daily driven including snow and ice. Saw sub 0 temperatures consistently for 2 winters. No failures. The only time the car went to a dealer in 30,000 miles was for A/C fix around 8,000 miles. Oil consumption is 1,500 miles/1 qt which is normal (my m5 had a TT and it needed 1 qt every 2,000 miles). I owned BMWs before for a decade (all Ms) and this GT350 has required far less dealer visits (just 1 in 23 months/30,000 miles) than all of my previous cars. Its built like a tank.

people’s car fail because MAJORITY of them dont understand how to take care of their car:

- NEVER idle a car when its cold (most think they are “baby”ing it). The WORST thing you can do is having that 50 weight oil circulate for several seconds/minute. ALWAYS drive away right away.
- ALWAYS shift at 3500 rpm until oil is at least 160F. Then at 4500 rpm until its 180F.
- Tape off the front grill leaving small entry point for air when its cold otherwise the oil temp NEVER exceeds 160F for hours/miles

Majority of those 60 failures are I m sorry but people who dont understand cars. Who dont check oil levels. Who dont understand oil pressure and cold vs warm oil. That engine becomes a ticking time bomb if you are not careful.

I will drive mine even when the doors fall off. It has so much power for naturally aspirated and so much torque that it feels like turbo charged. It sounds incredible and so unique that even after 30,000 miles I still turn heads and get thumbs up consistently. Z06 is just another push rod v8 with a truck engine that sounds exactly the same the last several decades. They are everywhere. I live in tri state area and the number of times I have seen a gt350 is 3 (THREE) total in these 23 months of ownership. I saw more than 3 Z06s this week alone.
The possibility does exist that the Z06 is simply the more popular car.....

Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

If you have to baby the car when it's cold, or short shift it when it's cold, or tape up the grille or any of that other nonsense then clearly the engine is not robust. Period, full stop. It's laughable that you attribute failures to "people who don't understand cars". Because it's only the enlightened people, like you, who really know how to handle such an incredible machine as a 526 hp GT350 (that's really not much more powerful than the 2018 GT's now).
It's funny what a troll you've turned into over the last several months. You came here under the pretense that you were "going to buy a ZR1", and once exposed, you've gone full on turd. But honestly, I think we're all really impressed with your $58k GT350 that's really just a gussied up $25k Mustang with a FPC engine and some suspension/brake upgrades.
S.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by vrybad
All due respect, I have never seen one turbo car built properly make LESS TORQUE at 2000rpm and up.
What people call turbo lag is simply the perception that the car makes so much more power as it climbs the rpm range, that it feels soft at low rpm, when in fact it is actually making more torque than a similar stock NA engine at all RPM.
Again, not talking about a T88 Supra but a properly built street-oriented turbo setup.
Bingo. My LPE twin turbo C5's had NO lag. Very small turbo's that spooled up very fast. Big turbo's usually have more lag. Think Buick GN.

Get notified of new replies

To Let this be a lesson GM. Dump superchargers and TURBO

Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

https://youtu.be/dOOp4GDBILY

If Ford can do it...
Can't speak for the Ford GT, but the other 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost engines are total crap. They go down like flies.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:35 AM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
What was the nature of the engine failures?
Hard to say, some are replaced because they are burning so much oil (more than a quart every 500 miles) that even Ford admits that is too much. Some just fail completely with little or no warning either on the street or track. When a failed engine is replaced, Ford refuses to let Ford dealership do anything to determine the causes. They are required to ship the motor back to Ford, and a replacement engine from Ford is installed. Everything is "hush hush" from Ford about the increasing number of complete engine failures. For those who had their engines replaced, the original VIN number is not re-stamped on the new block - definite hit to value.

And I call "BS" on blaming it mostly on the owners. That was an original tactic used by some before it became obvious that there are an ever growing list of failures. Speculation runs rampant that the cause is lack of consistency of assembly quality, perhaps poor quality components from sub-contractors - in fact no one knows because Ford has the Omerta policy. Of course this is not happening to every car, but it is happening to an ever increasing number of cars. Well over 60 failures drawn from members of a few Ford forums whose GT350 population is very small by Corvette forum standards as in hundreds, not thousands of people. So much so, that even some of the more ardent Ford adherents are asking questions. Failures are documented on '16. '17, and '18 cars.

Personally, as I mentioned earlier, I wonder if 5.2 liters is just too big of a displacement for a FPC engine for an everyday street car. Ford quickly stopped using the FPC in their GT4 mustangs, went back to cross plane crank, and will use cross plane crank in the upcoming GT500. Maybe that says something... Damn shame that these issues are plaguing this car and the Shelby name. But personally, like many others I know - have decided to move on...
Old 08-21-2018, 10:27 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
If you have to baby the car when it's cold, or short shift it when it's cold, or tape up the grille or any of that other nonsense then clearly the engine is not robust. Period, full stop. It's laughable that you attribute failures to "people who don't understand cars". Because it's only the enlightened people, like you, who really know how to handle such an incredible machine as a 526 hp GT350 (that's really not much more powerful than the 2018 GT's now).
It's funny what a troll you've turned into over the last several months. You came here under the pretense that you were "going to buy a ZR1", and once exposed, you've gone full on turd. But honestly, I think we're all really impressed with your $58k GT350 that's really just a gussied up $25k Mustang with a FPC engine and some suspension/brake upgrades.
S.
Why cant you guys actually respond a post without insulting the poster? I have noticed this about this forum and you guys are extremely aggressive. You seem to not be able to come up with a counter argument and instead insult the poster about his/her finances and so on.

Corvette, any version of it, is much more of a “masses” car than GT350 is. Corvette is much less raw and much more about refinement and “GT” in a true sense. GT350 is a lot closer to metzger GT3 is than any version of corvette. There is nothing special about taking a pushrod engine and making low end torque and gobs of power. Its so brute force and not elegant. Its so much like jeep wrangler being the World War era army jeep still being the brute force off roader it is today. Do you get it or you dont get it?

Tie my eyes and I wont be able to tell apart c6 z06 from a c7 stingray from a c7 zr1 (except supercharger whine). Every single one of them have the bla bla bla bla pushrod burble and WOT resonated sound.

You need to sit in a GT350 at WOT. Show me a corvette that revs 8250 rpm. Show me a corvette that actually has an engineering masterpiece in it thats not put together for marketing reasons. Corvette smells marketting and profit from a to z. You are just completely talking out of your ***.

the same level of “care” is required for any high revving high compression naturally aspirated engine. All GT porsche engines. All BMW NA engines. What the hell are you talking about?

The tape is for sub zero weather. There is nothing wrong with doing it. Show me a track car whose cooling isnt an issue in sub 0 weather.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let this be a lesson GM. Dump superchargers and TURBO