C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:20 PM
TransAmRacer
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZR1 test drive...

Have been a Porsche owner for over 30 years. In the ZR1 Chevrolet has finally made a sports car I want to own. The problem is I can't seem to arrange a test drive. I won't put 140 LARGE down own a car I haven't even sat in. Anyone got an answer?

Last edited by TransAmRacer; 08-02-2018 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-05-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

At this relatively early point in the game, no dealer worth their salt is going to let you test drive the car. Not in the least. Specially when it's key to break the car in properly, and test drives rarely do that. So I wouldn't hold your breath trying to find such a dealer. Don't worry: Chevrolet will sell the ZR1 you won't buy.

Now, that said: perhaps there's a near-by friend, or someone else that happens to own one. As far as test drives go, that's pretty much your only shot.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-02-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 PM
TransAmRacer
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jvp
At this relatively early point in the game, no dealer worth their salt is going to let you test drive the car. Not in the least. Specially when it's key to break the car in properly, and test drives rarely do that. So I wouldn't hold your breath trying to find such a dealer. Don't worry: Chevrolet will sell the ZR1 you won't buy.

Now, that said: perhaps there's a near-by friend, or someone else that happens to own one. As far as test drives go, that's pretty much your only shot.
Wow. Thanks for the response. Seems kind of ridiculous. I remember when the Dodge Viper came out a a dealer here town had no problems letting me take it for a spin. I would assume that's the cost of doing business. Might try the, "racing," experience in Vegas. Too bad Chevrolet talks about, "listening," to their customers. I love my Duramax pickups (I have two '06's). Maybe I'll call Porsche and see if they'll listen.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:35 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Test drive a Z06 with the same transmission. If you like that the you should love the ZR1. Lot of stuff is the same in both cars. The front end is the main difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3 Z06ZR1:
CorvetteBrent (08-05-2018), CorvettoBrando (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 PM
TransAmRacer
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Test drive a Z06 with the same transmission. If you like that the you should love the ZR1. Lot of stuff is the same in both cars. The front end is the main difference.
Wow again...thank you so much for the insight. I believe you're correct. 'Have read articles and watched reviews saying Corvettes are a bit the same until you mash the throttle. Still, seems silly that Chevrolet will let you drive a Cobalt and not their flagship. I will not give up...
Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmRacer
Wow again...thank you so much for the insight. I believe you're correct. 'Have read articles and watched reviews saying Corvettes are a bit the same until you mash the throttle. Still, seems silly that Chevrolet will let you drive a Cobalt and not their flagship. I will not give up...
I wouldn't want to buy a car that someone else had hammered, prior to breakin, on a test drive. Would you?

Spring Mountain racetrack has more than a dozen ZR1's, already broken in, that you can hammer to your heart's content, if you can demonstrate that your are a good enough driver to handle that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
CorvetteBrent (08-05-2018), CorvettoBrando (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 PM
TransAmRacer
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I wouldn't want to buy a car that someone else had hammered, prior to breakin, on a test drive. Would you?

Spring Mountain racetrack has more than a dozen ZR1's, already broken in, that you can hammer to your heart's content, if you can demonstrate that your are a good enough driver to handle that.
That's cool...no problem. I race a Trans Am GT1 Mustang. I'll certainly check out Spring Mountain. where are they located? Never mind...got it. Vegas. Many thanks to all responders. You guys have been very helpful.

Last edited by TransAmRacer; 08-02-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

While I see your point, it’s not any different than when McLaren launched the 675LT...or Porsche launched the GT2RS. With low production numbers, it’s highly unlikely a dealer will have a demo model for every swinging Dan to go fiddle with. Hell, there’s A LOT of Chevy dealers that will never even see a ZR1.

As a ZR1 and Z06 owner, I agree that driving the Z06 will give you a pretty good idea. The ZR1 is just a big step up.
ZoratZ06 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Seriously doubt in this point in the game there is a dealer with an un-sold ZR1 on their lot.

Spring mountain you can spend two days on a race track in the ZR1, that should be a great evaluation of the car.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:44 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

That's cool...no problem. I race a Trans Am GT1 Mustang. I'll certainly check out Spring Mountain. where are they located? Never mind...got it. Vegas. Many thanks to all responders. You guys have been very helpful.
TransAmRacer...Where are you located?

Also I hate to burst everyone’s bubble even further but from what I understand unless you own a ZR 1 you can’t drive one at Spring Mountain...I could be wrong but that’s what I heard...
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
The only problem with that is you have to be a ZR1 owner before you can drive one of the Spring Mountain cars.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
The only problem with that is you have to be a ZR1 owner before you can drive one of the Spring Mountain cars.
+1 that is accurate .
Doubt any Dealers or Chevy are worried about people upset over test drive issues. Long waiting list for the ZR. Driving a Z06 gives you an idea but ZR has many differences in handling, shifting, acceleration etc. Good luck.

dgerstel (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:40 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Seriously doubt in this point in the game there is a dealer with an un-sold ZR1 on their lot.

Spring mountain you can spend two days on a race track in the ZR1, that should be a great evaluation of the car.
You'd probably be surprised how many dealers have them sitting on the lot, just waiting for that sucker born every moment customer. It's the same dealers that have a $25k - $50k markup on the window. There are several dealers around us that have one in stock, some already up to 45 days old!

I believe GM owns the ZR1 cars at SMMR and as far as I know, you aren't allowed to drive them without being in the ZR1 owners school, which requires purchasing a ZR1.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Where you live, I am sure there is an owner near you. As said a Z06/Z07 is pretty close in several ways if you can find one of those. I never sat in or test drove a Corvette, even my first in 86' , saw it drove it off the lot, that was my first time driving a Corvette, did the same thing with my first Porsche 86' 911 turbo. ordered it and drove it off the lot, first time I had ever driven a Porsche too.
desmophile (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
Just to be clear...

The ZR1's currently at Spring Mountain aren't actually "theirs" they are GM cars and as such they can ONLY be used for the ZR1 Owners School course, at this point. Rick told me that they are going to be getting their own inventory of ZR1's (school owned) like the rest of the corvette models they have, and once that happens they will be able to offer these cars to "non-ZR1 owners". I discovered this when I tried to book one of the "Private Sessions" with the ZR1. I'm in the upcoming ZR1 owners school and wanted to add a 3rd day as Private track time one on one... but they couldn't do it... not in a ZR1... not until they get their own ZR1's to replace the ones they currently have on site.
The following 2 users liked this post by Questar:
DebRedZR1 (08-03-2018), Nyvetteguy007 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

You might want to consider Exotic Racing in LAS also. You can drive a Z06 on a track and compare it same day to a variety of other cars. Since the ZRI is going to be a lot like the ZO6, certainly at least compared to any other car in the world, it would be a good test. A drive on the track in my opinion is worth 1000x more than a drive on the street if you are assessing track performance. I am assuming you are not just looking for only a DD/cruiser. If you were, the Stingray would be a great choice and half the money. Since you race the GT1 Mustang it isn't like you need a fancier car to impress your friends.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
You'd probably be surprised how many dealers have them sitting on the lot, just waiting for that sucker born every moment customer. It's the same dealers that have a $25k - $50k markup on the window. There are several dealers around us that have one in stock, some already up to 45 days old!

I believe GM owns the ZR1 cars at SMMR and as far as I know, you aren't allowed to drive them without being in the ZR1 owners school, which requires purchasing a ZR1.
SoCal dealers are the worst for this. They want them to generate foot traffic. They'll sell it to any sucker who's ready to blow an extra 25+ over sticker for 'market adjustment'

There's less than 1000 of these on the road so far. Once the pre-order backlog gets cleaned up more will become available as inventory. Very few dealers will offer a test drive unless they get a used one on the lot. A vast majority of the people walking into a Chevy dealership can't afford a Z06, much less a ZR1.

You'll stand a better chance of getting that test drive if you pull up in your new GT2 or enough car to confirm you're serious. I'll never forget the Mercedes dealer that immediately tried to push us to the used small sedans because he decided the moment he saw us we couldn't afford what we were asking for, but my wife sure enjoys her new CTS.

Last edited by WaxWeekly; 08-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 test drive...

Old 08-03-2018, 12:37 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I would NEVER buy a vehicle without test driving it.
I do feel this "no test drive" mentality is bull crap. I do believe the dealer should pre-qualify you to verify that you can afford a ZR1, but it boggles my mind to know that I can go into a Porsche, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc dealer and test drive pretty much any vehicle, even those costing much more than a ZR1 just by giving them a copy of my drivers license.

If there are any questions, giving your Social Security number to the finance manager will prove that you can afford it or not. If you have a personal relationship with your banker, you can also have them call the banks branch manager to verify your financial cabilities.

If I was really serious about buying a specific model car and the salesman said "no test drives", I would speak to the sales manager and finance manager. If they still say "no", then I find another dealer. It's only a Corvette....not some one off never to be built again vehicle worth 20 million dollars.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:44 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I would NEVER buy a vehicle without test driving it..
That's funny. I've never test driven any of the 6 Corvettes I have purchased. I was always a Corvette fan since I was a little kid. I just knew I wanted them, no need to test drive (for me at least).

Last edited by vetteb_96C; 08-03-2018 at 12:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vetteb_96C:
427Z0SX (08-03-2018), desmophile (08-03-2018), Oskee (07-31-2019)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:21 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

You would really prefer to give this personal information (in bold) for the privilege of test driving a vehicle? As it stands right now, you probably are not going to get to test drive a new ZR1.......that's just how it is. I personally would never spend ZR1 kind of money to BUY a car that has been used for test drives. I'm pretty sure that dealers know that many people that spend that kind of money, feel exactly as I do. Give it some time and the situation (supply more than demand, C8 released, dealer has some sitting on lots, used vehicles, etc) will change and you will indeed be able to drive one before buying.

I do understand that you are/were coming from a different brand and would like to know how the car drives and fits. I'd say that most of the early buyers already have or had C7 Corvettes. Again, driving a Z06 is a great alternative, as you will be driving on the street at mostly legal speeds and they are very similar cars. Again, I like you, would prefer a test drive, just not in THE car that I would buy. Different strokes for different folks and know that many people are perfectly happy with buying cars that have been used for test drives.

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I would NEVER buy a vehicle without test driving it.
I do feel this "no test drive" mentality is bull crap. I do believe the dealer should pre-qualify you to verify that you can afford a ZR1, but it boggles my mind to know that I can go into a Porsche, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc dealer and test drive pretty much any vehicle, even those costing much more than a ZR1 just by giving them a copy of my drivers license.

If there are any questions, giving your Social Security number to the finance manager will prove that you can afford it or not. If you have a personal relationship with your banker, you can also have them call the banks branch manager to verify your financial cabilities.

If I was really serious about buying a specific model car and the salesman said "no test drives", I would speak to the sales manager and finance manager. If they still say "no", then I find another dealer. It's only a Corvette....not some one off never to be built again vehicle worth 20 million dollars.

Last edited by m3incorp; 08-03-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: ZR1 test drive...