C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick

WINNER in my book: the Lambo Huracan - it's naturally aspirated so it sounds and drives the best, it looks the best, it did not ride on the cheater tire, and it will absolutely destroy the others in worse conditions (too cold, too hot, wet, low grip asphalt, bumpy, etc)
Ya, but Lambo no have a sticky for shifty!
The following users liked this post:
CPhelps (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 02:22 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Ya, but Lambo no have a sticky for shifty!
Indeed. No stick, no buy. I will admit that when it comes to automatic cars I only like reading about them, don't care to drive them one bit. Speaking of which, the Aston branded AMG will presumably come in stick next year.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 09-26-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Indeed. No stick, no buy. I will admit that when it comes to automatic cars I only like reading about them, don't care to drive them one bit. Speaking of which, the Aston branded AMG will presumably come in stick next year.
+1......
Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
hitting high speeds on the straights doesnt make it a fast speed track. The corners are all low speed corners. It just makes it drag turn drag turn drag race.
You need to drive Laguna. Only 3 turns are "slow speed" turns. Almost all the other turns are high speed 3rd or 4th gear turns. That's why the average speed is so high, because outside of the front straight, there isn't really ANY high speed straights. Turns 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 are all VERY fast for typical track standards.

For it to average 85mph without any long sweepers means it is FAST.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:00 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427
The ACR lap record was also driven by Pobst though,
Pobst is the guy to make the records at LS. I think he has the record in a bunch of cars, Corvettes, Vipers and now Porsche.
My point was the 1:28 time was a factory backed time doing who knows how many laps dialing the car in. The GT2RS's 1:28 time was done during a magazine comparison. They didnt have unlimted tires or laps. I think a factory done time by Porsche would have gotten 1:27 or even faster.

Its not a knock on the ACR's time, I love the Viper and love mine dearly. I'm just being a realist. Both cars have done 1:28. One was done with a factory backed effort. thats all.
TARANTULA (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
Pobst is the guy to make the records at LS. I think he has the record in a bunch of cars, Corvettes, Vipers and now Porsche.
My point was the 1:28 time was a factory backed time doing who knows how many laps dialing the car in. The GT2RS's 1:28 time was done during a magazine comparison. They didnt have unlimted tires or laps. I think a factory done time by Porsche would have gotten 1:27 or even faster.

Its not a knock on the ACR's time, I love the Viper and love mine dearly. I'm just being a realist. Both cars have done 1:28. One was done with a factory backed effort. thats all.
You make good points, however there are some caveats.
A factory Porsche driver pretty certainly goes faster than low 1:28. But I don't think the gap will be huge. Yes Dodges ACR effort was full on race team support and multiple sets of tires and setup changes at the track. When they sent the car for the head to head competition later on without all that, it only ran 1:30.

I think the reason the Porsches time will not be far off with a factory effort is because mag testing has come a long way since then. Look at Shanks thread when he was invited on the day of testing. It's basically gotten to the point of factory support for the top dogs at these tests. Engineers on hand, several sets of tires, you name it.

For the two car head to head test, SRT already had the lap record and it's likely they didn't care. Probably sent a car on worn tires or the tires got worn on the subjective portion, drag, skid, 60-0, 0-60 etc before setting hot laps. Those Viper tires are not very good for very long.

​​​​​

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-27-2018 at 02:22 PM.
serpent (10-02-2018)

Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2