C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:09 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Or: Road Atlanta is a track that better plays to the ZR1's strengths, where the two out west do not? I'm not 100% sure of that, but I'll bet that has something to do with it.
Yes, but I still think for the most part that it's heat/timing related. Being 3 seconds slower on the exact same track with the exact same pro driver in 35 or whatever degrees hotter speaks major volumes.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
The Porsche's smaller wheelbase and RWS will make it great in tight corners. The Porsche has almost 10 inches less wheelbase and the RWS will make it even quicker in tight rotation areas.

The ZR1 performed poorly, there is no other way to put it.
The ZR1 performed VERY poorly. The Porsche's shorter wheelbase, lightweight and rear engine design can give it a small advantage, but not 4 second's worth.

Last time I was at Laguna Seca, I had my BMW MZ4 Coupe, my buddy has his BMW 340i. He had more power and torque, I had a shorter, tighter chassis. Both on street tires, he's on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I'm on $75 per tire Federals (RSR-R). My car IS lighter by about 200 lbs, but he had significantly more torque and slightly more power. Our clean lap times were no more than 1/2 second apart. Had I brought my slicks I probably would have been about 2 seconds faster.

Not 4 seconds. That's a freakin' eternity on track. That's almost getting your @ss lapped in a 30 minute sprint difference.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:05 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
nowadays. Not really. With proper air pressure, the sidewalls on these tires are so stiff that the runflat portion of it doesnt matter. Theres a reason they look so damn similar, they are the same compound.
Not even close bruh. Theres a reason every mag has been swapping to the Rs for the track and Cup 2 Ns for the street. Im pretty sure that even the Cup 2 Ns are faster than the ZPs on the Corvettes lol.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The HACK
The ZR1 performed VERY poorly. The Porsche's shorter wheelbase, lightweight and rear engine design can give it a small advantage, but not 4 second's worth.

Last time I was at Laguna Seca, I had my BMW MZ4 Coupe, my buddy has his BMW 340i. He had more power and torque, I had a shorter, tighter chassis. Both on street tires, he's on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I'm on $75 per tire Federals (RSR-R). My car IS lighter by about 200 lbs, but he had significantly more torque and slightly more power. Our clean lap times were no more than 1/2 second apart. Had I brought my slicks I probably would have been about 2 seconds faster.

Not 4 seconds. That's a freakin' eternity on track. That's almost getting your @ss lapped in a 30 minute sprint difference.
The Cup R are worth a couple of seconds as well. Manthey Racing, Porsches European factory team picked up 4 seconds at spa on their modded GT2 RS just going from Cup 2 to cup R.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:45 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Per Shank, all of the cars had multiple sets of tires an engineers. Porsche just had faster ones. I'm thinking Randy on kill mode might be a bit faster. Say, if Porsche hired him for a private test. I get your jist, the tires have been secret sauce and by the time the public has them to evaluate and compare, the GT2 and GT3 RS's will have over performed in all the mag that tests. As of last I checked, owners can't even get the tires yet.

Tire tides change, it's part of the game. Porsche had fastest in the early 2000's wihh the first streetable factory rcomp cup tires. Then Nissan had some sneaky fast ones, then Corvette on the C6 ZR1 and Z07/Carbon, then Ferrari and Camaro with Trofeo R, then Viper with Khumo V720 and now Porsche again. It's cyclical. Someone will always have a tire advantage. I have no explanation for why they had two different sets of tires. But all the rumors point to these CupR being extremely fast. We know the Viper tires are Hoosier fast for sure, at least for a few laps. If it's faster than those, it says a lot.

Speaking of which, beating the ACR at VIR on lesser tires is quite an accomplishment. Not quite the drubbing Mero gave the Acr on the main course, but impressive nonetheless.​​​
Bringing 2 different sets of tires is probably going to be the how manufacturers will be handling mag tests in the future im guessing. I hope im wrong on this one. You've made a great point about it not too long ago: What is going to happen when people put Hoosiers on their GT2 RS or a ZR1 or w/e the hell it is that they're driving.

As for the R being as fast or faster than the ACR Kumhos....I'll be damn if thats actually the case lol.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

The Cup R are worth a couple of seconds as well. Manthey Racing, Porsches European factory team picked up 4 seconds at spa on their modded GT2 RS just going from Cup 2 to cup R.
Even without that, the car is just brutally fast. Here's an Evo test where all cars had the Cup 2 (non R) and the GT2 RS smoked everything.

https://www.evo.co.uk/features/16996...ested-on-track for reference.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Even on cup 2 the GT2 RS is beating most everything everywhere. On cupR its almost untouchable. Lap record pretty much guaranteed.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 AM
retailpharmaindia
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for this wonderful post really!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Even on cup 2 the GT2 RS is beating most everything everywhere. On cupR its almost untouchable. Lap record pretty much guaranteed.
R&T is testing the Senna as part of their PCOTY test. That's the only car that can dethrone the GT2 RS.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
Not even close bruh. Theres a reason every mag has been swapping to the Rs for the track and Cup 2 Ns for the street. Im pretty sure that even the Cup 2 Ns are faster than the ZPs on the Corvettes lol.
Here is the Sport Cup 2 ZP:

Here is the Sport Cup 2 R:

Here is the Sport Cup 2:

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Even without that, the car is just brutally fast. Here's an Evo test where all cars had the Cup 2 (non R) and the GT2 RS smoked everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsv4u2rwj0c&t=806s

https://www.evo.co.uk/features/16996...ested-on-track for reference.
i am not quite sure they knew what they were talking about. Since the AMG GTR also came with Cup 2 ZPs. So who knows what kind of cup 2s actually came on each tire.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-20-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:22 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Cup R are not Cup 2. You cannot see compounds.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:27 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1
R&T is testing the Senna as part of their PCOTY test. That's the only car that can dethrone the GT2 RS.
The Senna should just about rape anything (street legal) on a track, including the GT2RS. It's 200 lbs lighter, at least 100hp more and of course more downforce. McLaren doesn't mess around, and with the Senna name I'm sure the car will deliver. Imagine P1/918 fast in a straight line but can actually take a turn as well...Should be BRUTALLY fast. IMHO.

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 09-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Here is the Sport Cup 2 ZP:

Here is the Sport Cup 2 R:

Here is the Sport Cup 2:

i am not quite sure they knew what they were talking about. Since the AMG GTR also came with Cup 2 ZPs. So who knows what kind of cup 2s actually came on each tire.
So we have pictures of tires...thats great. So what now? Are you going to decode the compound underneath over the picture?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:10 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Yes, but I still think for the most part that it's heat/timing related. Being 3 seconds slower on the exact same track with the exact same pro driver in 35 or whatever degrees hotter speaks major volumes.
Are you suggesting that the ZR1 is that slow due to HEAT?

Laguna Seca, located just a few miles off shore in Monterey, CA, RARELY gets above 80º even on the hottest of days. In fact, I've been to the track in the middle of July and you have to wear jackets in the morning. It warms up to mid 80s on occasion, and can have drastic weather changes (I was there one time where it went from fog, to rain, to HAIL, to blistering sunshine all within 35 minutes, and different parts of the track had different weather, i.e. SUNNY on one side, raining on the other).

If HEAT is affecting the ZR1's track time, it's more likely that it's too COLD if it's an early morning session where the tires needed heat to grip. IF you're saying the ZR1 was pulling timing due to heat? Then we should all be afraid, because I can virtually guarantee you that the ambient temps never got above 85º.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:54 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Laguna Seca, located just a few miles off shore in Monterey, CA, RARELY gets above 80º even on the hottest of days. In fact, I've been to the track in the middle of July and you have to wear jackets in the morning. It warms up to mid 80s on occasion, and can have drastic weather changes (I was there one time where it went from fog, to rain, to HAIL, to blistering sunshine all within 35 minutes, and different parts of the track had different weather, i.e. SUNNY on one side, raining on the other).

If HEAT is affecting the ZR1's track time, it's more likely that it's too COLD if it's an early morning session where the tires needed heat to grip. IF you're saying the ZR1 was pulling timing due to heat? Then we should all be afraid, because I can virtually guarantee you that the ambient temps never got above 85º.
Its not. Laguna seca is a low speed track and the extra aero makes negligible gains. Really the 0.5 gain was the extra horsepower. That's it.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:11 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Its not. Laguna seca is a low speed track and the extra aero makes negligible gains. Really the 0.5 gain was the extra horsepower. That's it.
I respectfully disagree......even if the aero is helping on the front straight over turn 1, it is helping keeping the *** end down and allowing the car to brake even later coming into turn 2 due to the rear wing. I'd venture that anytime that car is over 80 mph the aero is taking time off the clock.....is it hundredths or tenths at each corner, IDK.

It would be interesting to compare what the max speed attained on the front straight between a C7 Z06 versus this C7 ZR1 is.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

100 extra hp is worth more than half a second. Something was not right with that zr1. Better stated, that cannot be the best a zr1 can do there. I would say more than a second.

​​​​​​

Several other tests have shown heat to be an issue. If they did subjective testing first and got components heated, it's possible. Or if they did a lot of laps. Any number of things can contribute to heat accumulation.

Edit:
See this quote from Motor Trend.

We were ready to lap the ZR1 at the end of day one at WeatherTech Raceway, but the Chevyteam begged for a morning run in the cool, dense air.
Now ask yourself why that would be the case?

Clearly they had driven the car most of the day already doing subjective testing. The car would have been hot enough to dial back timing at EOD.

The gun is smoking heavily.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2

Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

100 extra hp is worth more than half a second. Something was not right with that zr1. Better stated, that cannot be the best a zr1 can do there. I would say more than a second.

​​
Depends. Going from 300 to 400hp is a big difference. Going from 650hp to 750hp isn't such a big difference, especially when it comes with such a weight penalty. You're also getting to the point where the tires are the limiting factor and the weight location (not distribution) is really limiting things from both dynamics and tires. It's getting close to 4000lbs, lots of downforce and lots of power. Also, while I'm sure these are very good drivers, many magazine testers can't take advantage of 750hp, at least not with limited laps. To make things worse, The tires probably aren't lasting long enough for the driver to really get a few good laps in. It's really hard to get a good lap in when you have drastically different (and decreasing) grip every lap. I doubt they're getting 3 sessions in with each car.

I'm guessing the result is a combination of all these things.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
So we have pictures of tires...thats great. So what now? Are you going to decode the compound underneath over the picture?
This pictures do not show CUP 2 R. The one in the middle "described" as CUP 2 R is actually a CUP 2 (N0).

CUP 2 R tires have the capital R after CUP 2 clearly "boldened". The street-able version of the tire is still not available on this side of the pond...

Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Telepierre
This pictures do not show CUP 2 R. The one in the middle "described" as CUP 2 R is actually a CUP 2 (N0).

CUP 2 R tires have the capital R after CUP 2 clearly "boldened". The street-able version of the tire is still not available on this side of the pond...

**** you're right. It's impossible to find a picture of it..

Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2