C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is ZR1 power limited until 500 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 AM
robmypro
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 55 Posts

More details...i did quite a few pulls from a slow rolling start in 1st gear all the way to about 4500 rpm. This was at 5000 feet. The car had 300 miles on it. During none of those runs did the rear break traction. The next day i took it out with my goal of getting to 500 miles. I was mostly driving over 7000 feet. At 490 miles i did another short pull and the rear wheels broke loose easily. At 500 miles i did it again and it broke loose and stepped out easily, and the engine just felt a lot stronger. Sort of caught me off guard.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Why are people still discussing this? There are videos of dyno pulls below 500 miles and after 500 miles with NO difference. Case closed.
The following users liked this post:
Ninetres (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 PM
robmypro
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Why are people still discussing this? There are videos of dyno pulls below 500 miles and after 500 miles with NO difference. Case closed.
As bad as you might think this thread is, it can’t be worse than pricing/what’s my car going to be worth tomorrow. I can’t speak for everyone, but in my case i had never even considered that it made less power during break-in. It was only after i witnessed it first hand that i tried searching to see if anyone else had experienced what i did. I am not saying it could not have been some other factor, but temps were close and i was 3000 feet further up, which seems like a strange time for the engine to wake up.

I am happy so that is all that matters.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:06 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
More details...i did quite a few pulls from a slow rolling start in 1st gear all the way to about 4500 rpm. This was at 5000 feet. The car had 300 miles on it. During none of those runs did the rear break traction. The next day i took it out with my goal of getting to 500 miles. I was mostly driving over 7000 feet. At 490 miles i did another short pull and the rear wheels broke loose easily. At 500 miles i did it again and it broke loose and stepped out easily, and the engine just felt a lot stronger. Sort of caught me off guard.
It could be that you were more judicious with throttle application until after 500 miles. Cooler air would certainly give it more kick. The fury of 755/715! Time to update your avatar Rob. 👍

Last edited by bcmarly; 08-25-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:28 PM
robmypro
Drifting

Originally Posted by bcmarly
It could be that you were more judicious with throttle application until after 500 miles. Cooler air would certainly give it more kick. The fury of 755/715! Time to update your avatar Rob. 👍
Yeah Bob, i need to do more testing. What is wrong with my avatar lol?
bcmarly (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 PM
msdunkel
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Am I the only one scratching my head and going "hmmm" to see a representative from a company that sells performance upgrades on the C7 who calls the 4500 RPM redline a myth? Especially when he posts a picture showing a 4500 RPM redline? Am I just missing some insider joke here?

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
I've been saying this was a myth since the Z06s... I had my C7 within the first couple of months of them being out, so I never could remember on that one. But my ZR1 did not have any redline restrictions when picking it up. You can see here with just 77mi on the odometer, that redline is still 6500 RPMs on the maiden voyage home from Detroit. Does anyone have a pic showing otherwise? I was calling in favors (and being told NO LOL) before ordering asking for the PCM to be unlocked and the car could be built without 4G wifi and could have the warranty voided off the line. Not going to lie, when my 4G and NAV didn't work the entire drive home, I had high hopes! LOL But I can indeed show you at least mine had no lower redline.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:29 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Some of you guys simply lack information and experience with this car. There is no power difference before and after 500 miles. There has NEVER been a mass production that did similar visual pre and post break-in on the dashboard which had power limitation. I have owned several similar cars including the ZR1, multiple generation M3s, multiple generation M5s.

Factually speaking I have pretty good understanding of how some of these cars are tuned, how software tuning works, and I can tell you without tremendous testing and extra risk, there is no way to implement this. There is no piece of software that works like “hey give me a number X and I will limit power to that level X and below”. Simply because there are so many different levels of expressing power X. There is boost pressure, timing, fuel pressure, list goes on. And for each of those, there are EPA considerations, there are insurance as well as legal ramifications. Can you guarantee that some edgecase when boost pressure is half of normal value will not result in some engine fire?

You see? Its never that simple. And whats simple is spreading misinformation and rumors.

Even after 8 years of original release, there are people in the M5 post who still argue your point - that M5 has less power before 1200 miles. Its simply not true.

I have owned 3 M5s. I bought them brand new, I broke them all same. I did a lot of testing and zero changes before and after break-in. Same with M3s. Same with ZR1s.
BearZ06 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I also can attest that there is no power limitations before 500 miles. Neither my 16 Z06 or my 19 ZR1 had any trouble making full power before 500 miles.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:00 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 685 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Some of you guys simply lack information and experience with this car. There is no power difference before and after 500 miles. There has NEVER been a mass production that did similar visual pre and post break-in on the dashboard which had power limitation. I have owned several similar cars including the ZR1, multiple generation M3s, multiple generation M5s.

Factually speaking I have pretty good understanding of how some of these cars are tuned, how software tuning works, and I can tell you without tremendous testing and extra risk, there is no way to implement this. There is no piece of software that works like “hey give me a number X and I will limit power to that level X and below”.
There actually have been vehicles with a “break in” tune from the factory. From GM even.

Pretty much predates the internet and it’s not like there’s any of these really still sitting around brand new, so a quick google search didn’t find me anything. But I do know that GM ECMs from like the 80’s had something in their MEMCAL/EEPROM that was called, I wanna say, E CELL. In a nutshell, it was an fuel enrichment for break in purposes that was active for a number of miles or hours.

I’ve been working on cars for a little over 20 years, so this is stuff I’ve never had to deal with because it really predates my career too. But from instructors I had, and what I’ve seen hooking up scan tools to some of those pre OBD2 cars, I know it existed.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:58 AM
robmypro
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
There actually have been vehicles with a “break in” tune from the factory. From GM even.

Pretty much predates the internet and it’s not like there’s any of these really still sitting around brand new, so a quick google search didn’t find me anything. But I do know that GM ECMs from like the 80’s had something in their MEMCAL/EEPROM that was called, I wanna say, E CELL. In a nutshell, it was an fuel enrichment for break in purposes that was active for a number of miles or hours.

I’ve been working on cars for a little over 20 years, so this is stuff I’ve never had to deal with because it really predates my career too. But from instructors I had, and what I’ve seen hooking up scan tools to some of those pre OBD2 cars, I know it existed.
If they can limit hp in a Hellcat depending on the key you use, I see no reason why they wouldn't put in a little code to de-tune the engine during break-in.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:13 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 763 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

Factually speaking I have pretty good understanding of how some of these cars are tuned, how software tuning works, and I can tell you without tremendous testing and extra risk, there is no way to implement this. There is no piece of software that works like “hey give me a number X and I will limit power to that level X and below”. Simply because there are so many different levels of expressing power X. There is boost pressure, timing, fuel pressure, list goes on. And for each of those, there are EPA considerations, there are insurance as well as legal ramifications. Can you guarantee that some edgecase when boost pressure is half of normal value will not result in some engine fire?

You see? Its never that simple. And whats simple is spreading misinformation and rumors.

Even after 8 years of original release, there are people in the M5 post who still argue your point - that M5 has less power before 1200 miles. Its simply not true.

I have owned 3 M5s. I bought them brand new, I broke them all same. I did a lot of testing and zero changes before and after break-in. Same with M3s. Same with ZR1s.
They could easily change the rev limiter to 4500 for the first 500 miles to coincide with tach.

With that said, I don't think they did anything other than change the display.
.gearhead. (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
Am I the only one scratching my head and going "hmmm" to see a representative from a company that sells performance upgrades on the C7 who calls the 4500 RPM redline a myth? Especially when he posts a picture showing a 4500 RPM redline? Am I just missing some insider joke here?
He is absolutely right. The 4500 rpm mark is NOT a redline rev limiter. The actual rev limiter is still at the normal 6500 rpm as noticed by the thicker red line. The 4500 is just suggested and is nothing more than a graphic.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 08-26-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:40 PM
.gearhead.
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

On my drive home from Ohio to Illinois in my new ZR1, I made three blasts out of the toll booths with around 300 miles on the odometer. I can say with great confidence that no stricter limit existed that day than exists today with over 1000 miles. Myth...
Old 08-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I know that we have beat this horse to death, but thought I would simply share a small piece of other data. I usually keep my ins cluster on the Tour setting, but lately I've been watching my TPMS sensors a little closer so I've kept it in Track. And in Track it shows the " redline " as lower until it comes up to regular temps. Even in 90 degree days the redline/yellow line starts off at around 4K or in that ballpark. And, no, the performance isn't limited it's just showing you that it isn't up to full temp yet and you may want to keep the rpms a little lower until it comes up.

Quick Reply: Is ZR1 power limited until 500 miles?