C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Any update on Ring Times for the ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 PM
blown5.0
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any update on Ring Times for the ZR1?

I have not seen or heard anything regarding this over the last few months. Has anyone heard an update?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:09 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Nope, I wouldn’t worry about it. I think GM is done with the Ring.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM
blown5.0
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks. So nothing official ever came out? The only unofficial time I had heard was 7:12, and that the Chevy team was working on a time. Then radio silence. That's a bit disappointing as i'm sure the ZR1 would post a great time.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:27 AM
sjjames
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
I would agree. I doubt an "official" GM time will ever happen at this point in the game.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:35 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

7:12 is probably a plausible time. If I was GM, I went there to do a sub 7 min lap and potentially take the #1 spot but I saw Porsche lapping 6:47 and 6:56 with GT2RS/GT3RS and realized the tire and weight limitations of the car and said I’d rather not post any time than to post a time that didnt make the headlines and subsequently beat by Porsche. Now that we have seen other lap times by magazines (willow and laguna seca) relative to other cars (as well as z06) and also the figure 8 performance of ZR1 all indicate that 7:12 time was probably plausible.

Car is way too heavy where that weight has significant penalties in a track like nurburgring. Because of that heavy weight the tires also dont perform in such a long track. Any intelligent person can put 2 and 2 together on this one.

Its still a great car but its great at making you think its a fast car at the fraction of the price of other expensive cars which is true except it cant really beat some of the true track oriented sports cars.

I actually think this is all fine. This car was never meant to be a GT2RS or GT3RS competitor. GM didnt build it to be as such. This car was a 488 or mclaren 650 competitor and it does a pretty good job at that.

Its just that americans have no car that can truly compete with porsche in a track that everyone including myself got overly excited and hoped corvette would be that car. I dont think we will ever have a true porsche GT car competitor.
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
7:12 is probably a plausible time. If I was GM, I went there to do a sub 7 min lap and potentially take the #1 spot but I saw Porsche lapping 6:47 and 6:56 with GT2RS/GT3RS and realized the tire and weight limitations of the car and said I’d rather not post any time than to post a time that didnt make the headlines and subsequently beat by Porsche. Now that we have seen other lap times by magazines (willow and laguna seca) relative to other cars (as well as z06) and also the figure 8 performance of ZR1 all indicate that 7:12 time was probably plausible.

Car is way too heavy where that weight has significant penalties in a track like nurburgring. Because of that heavy weight the tires also dont perform in such a long track. Any intelligent person can put 2 and 2 together on this one.

Its still a great car but its great at making you think its a fast car at the fraction of the price of other expensive cars which is true except it cant really beat some of the true track oriented sports cars.

I actually think this is all fine. This car was never meant to be a GT2RS or GT3RS competitor. GM didnt build it to be as such. This car was a 488 or mclaren 650 competitor and it does a pretty good job at that.

Its just that americans have no car that can truly compete with porsche in a track that everyone including myself got overly excited and hoped corvette would be that car. I dont think we will ever have a true porsche GT car competitor.
Are you speaking from experience ?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:16 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Agree 100 percent.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Maybe GM is waiting on Ford to release times on the GT first, so then they can beat it like at VIR.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a22787431/ford-gt-nurburgring-testing/
Old 08-22-2018, 03:04 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Certainly as far as the C7 goes...

For a Manufacturer, publishing a Ring Time is all about selling cars.
The C7 was a sales success long ago...consequently there wasn't a pressing business reason to publish a Time for the seventh gen.

Perhaps the C8 will get a Time, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Ruz
Race Director

Received 265 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
For a Manufacturer, publishing a Ring Time is all about selling cars.
I would completely disagree with this statement. A Ring time has nothing to do with selling cars...it is just validation that you have produced a world-class all around performance machine. Do you really think Porsche has any trouble selling cars (and that is why they reveal times)?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:59 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Certainly as far as the C7 goes...

For AN AMERICAN Manufacturer, publishing a Ring Time is all about selling cars.
The C7 was a sales success long ago...consequently there wasn't a pressing business reason to publish a Time for the seventh gen.

Perhaps the C8 will get a Time, but I wouldn't count on it.
Fixed it for you. Big difference between GM/Corvette and Porsche.

Porsche didnt need any lap times to sell gt2rs or gt3rs. Their waitlists were full beginning 2-3 years ago.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 08-22-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruz
I would completely disagree with this statement. A Ring time has nothing to do with selling cars...it is just validation that you have produced a world-class all around performance machine. Do you really think Porsche has any trouble selling cars (and that is why they reveal times)?
You don't think Porsche would like to sell more cars? Even if they don't end up selling more of the specific models that did well at the Ring, it helps the brand.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:14 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
You don't think Porsche would like to sell more cars? Even if they don't end up selling more of the specific models that did well at the Ring, it helps the brand.
You need to do some reading up on Porsche’s financials. It is one of the most profitable car brands. They dont need any ring times to sell more cars.

It is Corvette who needs ring times to be taken seriously as some of the other competitors.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 08-22-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You need to do some reading up on Porsche’s financials. It is one of the most profitable car brands. They dont need any ring times to sell more cars.
Is that how it works, in business? A company says, "We're making good money, we're not interested in making any more"?

Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Ruz
Race Director

Received 265 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
You think Porsche sells more Cayman's because the GT2 is a bad-*** at the Ring?

And conversely, how do you think it looks for Chevy when there were comments out there that they were developing the ZR1 to be a sub-7 minute car at the Ring, and the best they could post is a 7:12? Don't think for one minute that they haven't made public an official Ring time because "they don't need to sell more cars".
Old 08-22-2018, 10:38 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

It is Corvette who needs ring times to be taken seriously as some of the other competitors.
Except the majority of corvette owners and potential buyers could care less about the ring time. Sure it would be great to see a sub 7min time (which I think we will see at some point from GM or an independent source) but does it really matter? NO. GM would be wasting time, money, and resources by chasing a ring time when it does VERY LITTLE to sell more corvettes. Setting the VIR record, etc. is absolutely good enough to gain the respect the ZR1 deserves. Those of you (UE for example) who bash the ZR1 as not being able to compete at the supercar level are all delusional. BTW, you should be pointing the finger at Ford for not spending millions developing your mustang at the ring (since you care about ring times) as the ZL1 and Z28 set very fast lap times and the stang clearly cant keep up
Lavender (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:01 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

IMHO... if you have a sport car that you advertise as "Track Ready" having a ring time is somewhat important. When Chevy came out with the ZL1 1LE they wasted no time in publishing a ring time. They did that because it was a very respectable time, no ZR1 time is because that time was nothing to write home about. They may think that publishing it might impact their sales or image of the car... do the buyers of the ZR1 actually care what it did at the ring may be a topic for a different conversation.

Last edited by snow; 08-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Rodbuster56 (08-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Any update on Ring Times for the ZR1?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ruz
You think Porsche sells more Cayman's because the GT2 is a bad-*** at the Ring?
Absolutely!!
Porsche is a "prestige" brand, and everything contributes. Heck, I still remember my times bar-hopping between night clubs, when there could be value in slapping a Porsche key fob down on the bar, even if the person who did that didn't own one. If some gal asked to see the Porsche, there would be some lame (but sufficient) excuse, like, "I just got here from California, and it's still in storage back there". A Mercedes key fob could get similar results. But beyond a one-night stand, who cares about women like that? They are not "keepers".
Originally Posted by Ruz
And conversely, how do you think it looks for Chevy when there were comments out there that they were developing the ZR1 to be a sub-7 minute car at the Ring, and the best they could post is a 7:12?
I don't recall GM posting any times at all. There were some times taken by bystanders during various phases of testing.
It's pretty inexpensive for Porsche to make almost unlimited runs at the Ring, and put up their best time when ideal circumstances happened to come along. GM isn't set up for that.

Ask Lou, if you want to understand some of the expenses and challenges of getting a car from the US to Germany, and hoping to have it there within a good weather window.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-update.html
It rains quite a bit at the Nurbergring.

Porsche has a testing and development center at that track.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-22-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:07 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Last week at the Heritage Center, Harlan Charles was giving a talk on the new ZR-1 and someone asked him about 'Ring times. He said they wouldn't post a time until they had full video of the entire run. There are rules at the 'Ring prohibiting an OEM from posting videos if any other OEM's car can be seen and GM doesn't have a full run video that doesn't show another OEM's car.

Take that for what it is worth...that's what the man said.

Last edited by 4XLR8N; 08-22-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:30 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

^^^ Blame someone else answer.
Rodbuster56 (08-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Any update on Ring Times for the ZR1?