C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 on Motor Trend Ignition (subscription required)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
We've got a badass over here.
Just someone with experience in both cars is all. Interpret it as you will.
The following 3 users liked this post by jvp:
DebRedZR1 (08-24-2018), DoctorV8 (08-27-2018), Lavender (08-26-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

Grapeman, please don't confuse us with facts and common sense! Paul
The following 3 users liked this post by DSOMDream:
GrapemanZR1 (08-23-2018), keagan (08-25-2018), Lavender (08-26-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:21 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by GrapemanZR1

Says who? I am expressing my opinion as an owner of this car, and I’m comparing it to others I’ve owned. I drove a DBS for two years. It was beautiful, but honestly, I think this car is as well built. To me, it’s a great value. You obviously have a different opinion, and I respect that. I’m just saying this is my experience, based on my real experience.
I'm expressing my opinion as someone who works in a car factory making 50k cars and 110k cars back to back. You'd be surprised about the facts. Yes, factories have employed a 3rd party to double check the higher models but there really isn't any different treatment down the assembly lines.

​​​​

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 08-23-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:44 AM
GrapemanZR1
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm expressing my opinion as someone who works in a car factory making 50k cars and 110k cars back to back. You'd be surprised about the facts. Yes, factories have employed a 3rd party to double check the higher models but there really isn't any different treatment down the assembly lines.

​​​​
I don't see how we're disagreeing at all. You're talking about how it's made. I'm talking about how it turns out. If they can produce such a quality product on the Bowling Green line, well, then I think they're running a pretty damn good factory! Elon Musk should take note.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
The 991 GT3 isn't even close to the ZR1 on track. Need me to go dig up some video to prove it? I could easily run them down in the Z06.
It is on the Hot Wheels track that he plays with in mom's basement...
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 176 Likes on 47 Posts

The fit and finish of a zr1 is likely the same as a 60k stingray. The interior is the same. The paint is the same.

The zr1 has performance and features. Fit and finish are bottom of the list.

you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about
Old 08-25-2018, 12:56 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Leadfoot01

you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about
He does. Is he wrong? Is ZR1 made by different assembly line by different workers? Does it have different interior material, dashboard, doors, buttons, etc? No. As much as my shelby has the piece of **** $28,000 eco boost quality, zr1 has the $49,000 stingray quality.

I agree with people who say zr1 is what z06 should have been. Not worth $140,000.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:17 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

He does. Is he wrong? Is ZR1 made by different assembly line by different workers? Does it have different interior material, dashboard, doors, buttons, etc? No. As much as my shelby has the piece of **** $28,000 eco boost quality, zr1 has the $49,000 stingray quality.

I agree with people who say zr1 is what z06 should have been. Not worth $140,000.

The base Stingray yes does have a lot of different materials than a 3 lz ZR1 . Steering wheel, dash,seats are all different materials. Major differences in the cars,
engines, suspension etc. Base cars gets shocks no mag ride.
You down grade the Corvette then compare it to the Shelby but you need to figure out 1 is sports car. 1 is regular Mustang. Then you try to compare the interior quality? Nothing compares
between the too. Ford MUSTANG? Ford build's a great nothing! Easy on me I get sore from the constant laughs you provide. You try to downgrade the Corvette while being totally clueless!
I guess you also didn't know the ZR starts at 121,000

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-25-2018 at 02:14 PM.
desmophile (09-11-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Has it occurred to you that the "big *** push rod old school engine with a supercharger" has proven to be quite competitive?
The compact and powerful LT4 and LT5 are top engines EVER made for any Corvette. Ford has no engines that compare! 2 years ago I rented a Ford pick up.drove it 3500 miles.
Than rented another Ford pick up both brand new with a few thousand miles drove another 3500. Then I drove a new GM truck a few miles a few weeks later I bought a GM!
No comparison FORD sucks hind tit to to GM everytime!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:15 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The base Stingray yes does have a lot of different materials than a 3 lz ZR1 . Steering wheel, dash,seats are all different materials. You are a doozy! You down grade the Corvette then compare it to the Shelby but you need to figure out 1 is sports car. 1 is regular Mustang. Then you try to compare the interior quality? Nothing compares
between the too. Ford MUSTANG? Ford build's a great nothing! Easy on me I get sore from the constant laughs you provide. You try to downgrade the Corvette while being totally clueless!
I guess you also didn't know the ZR starts at 121,000
I dont know if its a coincidence that majority of zr1 owners have poor English grammar and comprehension.

I am not comparing ford mustang to corvette. I am merely making the point that whatever my gt350 is to a base ecoboost or 911 GT2RS to base 911 Carrera, your zr1 is to a stingray. Seats being different is more of a specific component being different (i.e wheels being different or spoiler being different). But the core of the car, chassis, cabin, dash are all same. They have the same material. They are put together by the same union workers.

I always tell myself that I am driving a $30,000 mustang with a better driveterrain. No harm in that. Zr1 is way too much money, the cost differential between the base car and zr1 is over 2.5 times. And its not like base corvette is of the quality base 911 is. Have you sat in a $80,000 911? Even the most basic trim with plastic just feels better than $140,000 zl3 trim. The buttons, door handles, the liners, trunk itself, everything is crappier in the zr1. Zr1 should have been the z06. It is literally the same car with the cooling z06 should have had in the first place.

One way to price the zr1 would have been to make ALL carbon fiber pieces optional with ztk package and make that package cost some absurd amount. There is nothing worth $40,000 in this upgrade. Majority of that $40,000 is for the RD cost GM incurred which I believe but it was their own stupidity with z06. They should have known by then and come to the conclusion that they will need more front opening, more coolers etc.
rb185afm (09-17-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 02:22 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

I dont know if its a coincidence that majority of zr1 owners have poor English grammar and comprehension.

I am not comparing ford mustang to corvette. I am merely making the point that whatever my gt350 is to a base ecoboost or 911 GT2RS to base 911 Carrera, your zr1 is to a stingray. Seats being different is more of a specific component being different (i.e wheels being different or spoiler being different). But the core of the car, chassis, cabin, dash are all same. They have the same material. They are put together by the same union workers.

I always tell myself that I am driving a $30,000 mustang with a better driveterrain. No harm in that. Zr1 is way too much money, the cost differential between the base car and zr1 is over 2.5 times. And its not like base corvette is of the quality base 911 is. Have you sat in a $80,000 911? Even the most basic trim with plastic just feels better than $140,000 zl3 trim. The buttons, door handles, the liners, trunk itself, everything is crappier in the zr1. Zr1 should have been the z06. It is literally the same car with the cooling z06 should have had in the first place.

One way to price the zr1 would have been to make ALL carbon fiber pieces optional with ztk package and make that package cost some absurd amount. There is nothing worth $40,000 in this upgrade. Majority of that $40,000 is for the RD cost GM incurred which I believe but it was their own stupidity with z06. They should have known by then and come to the conclusion that they will need more front opening, more coolers etc.
I thought it was pretty clear, and accurate, the first time. I've never seen a group of people so defensive about an inanimate object. Originally I came here with hopes that the ZR1 was a game changer, but now that I know it clearly isn't, I keep returning to watch the fireworks. Quite entertaining.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Like your ENGLISH is worth writing home about. Whats a driveterrian? HAHA! The 80k 911 gets left in the weeds by even the Z06 for less money next point? HAHA!
The Mustang qualifies you as a expert on sports cars? RIGHT! Carry on don't forget to get the homework done and don't forget put the Hot wheels away over the weekend!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Like your ENGLISH is worth writing home about. Whats a driveterrian? HAHA! The 80k 911 gets left in the weeds by even the Z06 for less money next point? HAHA!
The Mustang qualifies you as a expert on sports cars? RIGHT! Carry on don't forget to get the homework done and don't forget put the Hot wheels away over the weekend!
I just dont know how to talk to you. Unfortunately ignorance and burying your head in the sand have become extremely common in our country (hence the last election, something if you asked people 20-30 years ago they would laugh back actually happened because of that specific pattern of behavior being so common) that it just feels extremely sad seeing this type of behavior.

Sure believe in what you want my friend. ZR1 is the bargain of the century. What do I know because I drive a GT350. I’m sure you also believe in witch hunts.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 08-25-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:11 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

I just dont know how to talk to you. Unfortunately ignorance and burying your head in the sand have become extremely common in our country (hence the last election, something if you asked people 20-30 years ago they would laugh back actually happened because of that specific pattern of behavior being so common) that it just feels extremely sad seeing this type of behavior.

Sure believe in what you want my friend. ZR1 is the bargain of the century. What do I know because I drive a GT350. I’m sure you also believe in witch hunts.
All you have now in your mind is your specific pattern of name calling! I don't own a ZR1 but there is nothing to buy in the price range that compares.
I actually prefer the biggest bargain in the world the car that you can tune the Z06! So I bought two of those! Seems your incredibly jealous of the Corvette owners but don't have the means to play! So if you cannot beat them TROLL them! Then you are talking about BEHAVIOR???? What about yours???? Enjoy the Magazine racing and your fantasy land with your Mustang !

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-25-2018 at 03:31 PM.
desmophile (09-11-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 03:38 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Dude, why are you up in arms over the ZR1? We all know you won't buy one, you prefer a GT3, then why are you here bashing others for their purchase? At some point you just gotta give it a rest man. Most of us here, are corvette fans, you coming here to talk about the ZR1 not being worth the price is kind of silly. We could be on a number of other sports car/ super car forums arguing the same, but people buy what they want, not what a forum member dictates.

Last edited by keagan; 08-25-2018 at 03:39 PM.
D'ZR1 Messiah (09-19-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Serious question, what would you change in the ZR1 to make the interior more befitting a car in this price range? Mine has alcantara center console, dash, door rests, partial door panels, A-pillars, and headliner. The seats are a nice leather with color stitching as it most other interior pieces that aren't alcantara. The dash surround is a high gloss real CF and the seat pass throughs are also CF. The wheel is a mixture of alcatara and CF. Yes, there are a few parts that are plastic but they have a reasonable feel to them and from what I can see are no different than any other high-end car I've been in. I just don't get what all the complaining is about. Perhaps they could have gone with the high gloss paint on the remaining plastic but honestly that stuff is horrible as it is easily scratched.

As far as the overall cost of the ZR1, yes it is higher than I had hoped but a lot of that cost is a result of the decision to use book matched real CF from so much of the exterior. The way the weave aligns along the splitter, hood, SC cover, roof, and wing was no small feat and isn't cheap. I bet they could have knocked at least $10K off the car cost had they gone with painted CF or composite.
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
CorvettoBrando (09-04-2018), DebRedZR1 (08-26-2018), desmophile (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:41 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Porscha, the plastic on the center console for sure. However my bigger gripes are not with the materials or the feel. My gripe is with the noises that show up within 30k miles and fit issues:
my top stow hook made clicking noises.
The center console grab handle makes very loud clicking noises depending on temp outside.
no matter how well I clean the wheel mating surface, that clicking sound comes back when start and stopping.
My door and center console foams are dented from my arm and the "leather" is rippling again, this car is always stored in the shade.
​​​​​​My trunk takes effort to close (doesn't have the auto pull down)
panel fitment
​​​​​Roof creaking
​​​there is dirt under my base coat layer in some spots but since this is what I do for a living, I know it's impossible to repair without getting deep into it.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 08-25-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 on Motor Trend Ignition (subscription required)

Old 08-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Porscha, the plastic on the center console for sure. However my bigger gripes are not with the materials or the feel. My gripe is with the noises that show up within 30k miles and fit issues:
my top stow hook made clicking noises.
The center console grab handle makes very loud clicking noises depending on temp outside.
no matter how well I clean the wheel mating surface, that clicking sound comes back when start and stopping.
My door and center console foams are dented from my arm and the "leather" is rippling again, this car is always stored in the shade.
​​​​​​My trunk takes effort to close (doesn't have the auto pull down)
panel fitment
​​​​​Roof creaking
​​​there is dirt under my base coat layer in some spots but since this is what I do for a living, it's impossible to repair without getting deep into it.
Thanks. I can't say I've found my vettes any worse in that area than my BMW or Porsches but I live on some pretty bad roads so I have low expectations.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:46 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Thanks. I can't say I've found my vettes any worse in that area than my BMW or Porsches but I live on some pretty bad roads so I have low expectations.
Although I don't track my $20k Mazda 3 and twist the car's frame. It has absolutely zero creaks, or any other reason to take it to the dealer. Both are from 2014 generation and both have 30k miles. My brother also has a 2016 mustang GT with the same number of miles, tracks it like me, and has not had a single creak, noise, weirdness, or problem.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:33 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by dsevo
I thought it was pretty clear, and accurate, the first time. I've never seen a group of people so defensive about an inanimate object. Originally I came here with hopes that the ZR1 was a game changer, but now that I know it clearly isn't, I keep returning to watch the fireworks. Quite entertaining.
^^^ This coming from a Viper owner.
The following 3 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
CorvettoBrando (08-27-2018), Lavender (08-26-2018), trooper (08-26-2018)

Quick Reply: ZR1 on Motor Trend Ignition (subscription required)