C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Shipping help for the 2019 ZR1 to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:45 AM
YeloZ06
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Shipping help for the 2019 ZR1 to Hawaii

Aloha all,
The dealer contacted me on Thursday that my ZR1 build is going to be entered and built in 6-8 weeks. I placed the order in June with a deposit. I have an 02 supercharged Z06 and an 89 coupe. I live in Hawaii and am having trouble finding a way to ship the car. I am planning on a museum delivery that way I can take the mats and other items out of the car so they don’t get stolen at the port. I need to get the car from Bowling Green to a port in California and then containered to my house. The two quotes I got were 15 an 17 thousand dollars. That’s crazy. I shipped four cars here and a house and business and it wasn’t this crazy. Any ideas or contacts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:07 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Wow! That's a long journey home. Good luck with all the logistics, I'm sure someone will chime in and assist.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 AM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

I shipped my Porsche Turbo both directions on Pasha or Matson, can't remember which, with zero issues. Right around $1k from Long Beach. Aside from being a little dirty, not sure why you'd require a container for a ZR1, seems like a waste of money.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 AM
tstad9i1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Skip museum delivery and courtesy delivery to a Chevy dealer in Hawaii instead if possible. Not sure if this option is available outside of the 48 but worth a shot. Lots of posts with questions about courtesy delivery including what the local dealers have charged for this. I'm planning to use courtesy delivery to AZ and have seen others have done this as well.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

As stated previously, RO/RO (Roll on/Roll off) options are going to be cheaper than containerized cargo however much less protection for the car. Personally, if you are doing R8C delivery, I’d drive it to California! Drove mine back to Houston from BG and had a blast! Otherwise use Reliable, United Road (enclosed) or for a premium service, The Finest Carrier. All three are good options for over-the-road transport. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by tstad9i1
Skip museum delivery and courtesy delivery to a Chevy dealer in Hawaii instead if possible. Not sure if this option is available outside of the 48 but worth a shot. Lots of posts with questions about courtesy delivery including what the local dealers have charged for this. I'm planning to use courtesy delivery to AZ and have seen others have done this as well.
I agree. Skip museum delivery and have it shipped to a local dealer. Floor mats are cheap and easy to replace if they go missing.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:56 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

have you looked into container shipping straight from Bowling Green?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 PM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Call Plycar or JP Logistics. Both are experts at shipping exotics and are endorsed/used by several of the high-end manufacturers. They're licensed carriers and not brokers. As a couple others have stated you probably should use the roll on/roll off service because you're only going to Hawaii (short trip). If you were shipping to Japan I could see using a container.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:21 PM
YeloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by dsevo
I shipped my Porsche Turbo both directions on Pasha or Matson, can't remember which, with zero issues. Right around $1k from Long Beach. Aside from being a little dirty, not sure why you'd require a container for a ZR1, seems like a waste of money.
when I moved here my Z06 and another car went in a container. They were perfect when they arrived. Matson lost my 89 Corvette for a month. They claimed they had no clue where the car went. Long story made short, the car had 50 miles on it more than when it was dropped off, the battery was dead (new battery installed prior to shipping) and they cliamed they put it in a container and the car behind it came loose and banged into mine the entire ride over. We also shipped my wife’s Jeep and they tore a hole in the soft top.

The ZR1 is much nicer and I’m a little hesitant to let someone recreate Ferris Buellers Day Off!
Old 08-26-2018, 04:22 PM
YeloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
Call Plycar or JP Logistics. Both are experts at shipping exotics and are endorsed/used by several of the high-end manufacturers. They're licensed carriers and not brokers. As a couple others have stated you probably should use the roll on/roll off service because you're only going to Hawaii (short trip). If you were shipping to Japan I could see using a container.
Thank you. I will give them a call.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:26 PM
YeloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by zhopper05
have you looked into container shipping straight from Bowling Green?
Yes. That’s a $17,000 estimate. I have to get the car in a container. It’s too low to drive in. Then I have to secure it down. Then they put it on a rail and send it to Long Beach. Once it arrives here in Hawaii I have to get it out of the container. I take all the liability loading and securing. I have never been to the Corvette museum so I thought I would go and check it out.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:29 PM
YeloZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
As stated previously, RO/RO (Roll on/Roll off) options are going to be cheaper than containerized cargo however much less protection for the car. Personally, if you are doing R8C delivery, I’d drive it to California! Drove mine back to Houston from BG and had a blast! Otherwise use Reliable, United Road (enclosed) or for a premium service, The Finest Carrier. All three are good options for over-the-road transport. Good luck!
I would love to drive it from the museum to California but my family and I were going to checkout the museum. I can’t leave them. I also have a crappy back so the drive would be amazing it would also be very painful. I do have some great info from everyone’s posts. Thank you!!

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping help for the 2019 ZR1 to Hawaii

Quick Reply: Shipping help for the 2019 ZR1 to Hawaii