C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Dragtimes racing ZR1 vs Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

nope. not delusional. i'm asking for these cars to have angle of the wing checked. or let's try a non ztk car and check the speed out.. the zr is supposed to have LESS drag than the Z that plus 100hp and 60tq over it... yetis only trapping marginally better? not buying it.. unless it's pulling timing for crap cali gas or wing is slowing it up...

don't forget that video of the gm car at the mile event where the driver caught sh** for pulling the ztk and ran 8 or 9mph quicker.... the difference on my Z06 above 100 to 150 is pronounced when the stage III is on vs Stage I... like feels like 100hp different..
Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
nope. not delusional. i'm asking for these cars to have angle of the wing checked. or let's try a non ztk car and check the speed out.. the zr is supposed to have LESS drag than the Z that plus 100hp and 60tq over it... yetis only trapping marginally better? not buying it.. unless it's pulling timing for crap cali gas or wing is slowing it up...

don't forget that video of the gm car at the mile event where the driver caught sh** for pulling the ztk and ran 8 or 9mph quicker.... the difference on my Z06 above 100 to 150 is pronounced when the stage III is on vs Stage I... like feels like 100hp different..
Motor trend tested ZR1 with a Corvette engineer present. I m sure the car was tested in the most optimum settings.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Sort of not surprising.
The active aero on the GT provides a pretty solid advantage. Vmax mode tucks in all of the deployable aero and lowers the car for maximum speed. Plus the GT is about 200# lighter.
So the additional horsepower of the ZR1 balances it out and they are pretty much dead even. You have to look at the speeds. Roll racing is VERY, VERY heavily effected by whoever gets the jump because in cars this powerful, that small advantage is a big difference in outcome.
S.
whiners, whiners, whiners You guys have a great car stop making excuses. If I had one and was doing 1/4 or 1/2 miles or roll races, first thing I would do is take that silly wing off.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jstewart
whiners, whiners, whiners You guys have a great car stop making excuses. If I had one and was doing 1/4 or 1/2 miles or roll races, first thing I would do is take that silly wing off.
What kind of stupid response is this?
Who is whining?
S.
The following users liked this post:
jstewart (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

If we are going to run that by Farmer, we should get all other cars same treatment. If Motor Trend tests GT2RS, FGT, 720S, and ZR1 and ZR1 traps 131 while FGT trapping 130.5, while GT2RS trapping 10mph more, do you think Bill Farmer’s perfect hero runs really count here? Because if he ran 136 i m sure he wont be running 130 in FGT, do you not agree?

You see, again its a “i bury my hand in the sand” mentality in this forum. You guys want to see what you want to see.

Some hero run doesnt matter. Motor trend took all of these cars and ran them back to back in the same place by the same driver. Their results and more importantly the RELATIVE DELTA of what each car trapped mean much more than Bill Farmer’s hero run.

Bottom line is FGT and ZR1 trap dead even although ZR1 has a pretty good 150 hp advantage (equal weights).
So this is what I don’t get, both trap speeds look low to me and the ZR1 looks way off. I ran my 2011 Z07 at Maple Grove in PA, 1500 ft at a 40mph Roll, 180’ more than the quarter, however at the time it was stock, maybe a laying down 450 hp and it trapped at 133.14. How the heck can a 650 RWHP car be trapping at 128.6? This makes no sense at all.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

That particular ZR1 needs the driver mod; however no amount of skill is going to make up for the underwhelming straight line performance. The FGT is severely disappointing in that regard as well, evidently... The trap speeds are the ultimate lie detector.

The fact that so many or happy to accept - and in some cases vehemently defend - this level of performance mediocrity is somewhat baffling to me.
The following users liked this post:
keagan (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 01:41 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AHP
That particular ZR1 needs the driver mod; however no amount of skill is going to make up for the underwhelming straight line performance. The FGT is severely disappointing in that regard as well, evidently... The trap speeds are the ultimate lie detector.

The fact that so many or happy to accept - and in some cases vehemently defend - this level of performance mediocrity is somewhat baffling to me.
Bingo!
Old 08-30-2018, 04:16 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AHP
What I find baffling is why anyone gives a **** about a roll race with this car......might as well bitch about towing capacity or lack of clearance for mudder tires.
The following 4 users liked this post by redzone:
DebRedZR1 (08-30-2018), jstewart (08-31-2018), keagan (08-30-2018), Questar (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 05:26 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Questar

Those of us who own them DON’T take notice to or care about his comments... what’s annoying is that the other forum members waste time and space arguing with the moron... and it fills the forum Threads with useless BS. That then wastes my time getting past it.

I hate using the Ignore List... have only done it once before... but it’s time to add this troll to the list. I only wish the rest of you would do so as well.
best thing I ever did on this forum was add "man-handlederection" to the ignore list
Old 08-30-2018, 05:51 PM
AHP
Pro

Originally Posted by redzone
What I find baffling is why anyone gives a **** about a roll race with this car......might as well bitch about towing capacity or lack of clearance for mudder tires.

Case in point.. deflection/defense

I bet if this car was walking all over everything it lined up against, you wouldn't be making the same statement.

I'm not judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree. Acceleration is a fundamental attribute of any performance car; the attributes you called out aren't.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AHP
Case in point.. deflection/defense

I bet if this car was walking all over everything it lined up against, you wouldn't be making the same statement.

I'm not judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree. Acceleration is a fundamental attribute of any performance car; the attributes you called out aren't.
And you would consider the performance of a bone stock car on stock tires that went from 0'-1320' ~3/10ths of a second faster than the avatar you proudly display as "poor".
Got it.
S.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:16 PM
AHP
Pro

And you would consider the performance of a bone stock car on stock tires that went from 0'-1320' ~3/10ths of a second faster than the avatar you proudly display as "poor".
Got it.
S.

Interesting attempt to make some kind of point, there; it didn't quite land.. Your assumption (you know what they say about assumption) of 'pride' is in reality simply just complacency --- that avatar image is about as old as this account, and I haven't put a thought into it until now (since you brought it up).

Keeping things on-topic --- what's the current M7 ZR1 record in the 1/4 mile?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AHP
Interesting attempt to make some kind of point, there; it didn't quite land.. Your assumption (you know what they say about assumption) of 'pride' is in reality simply just complacency --- that avatar image is about as old as this account, and I haven't put a thought into it until now (since you brought it up).

Keeping things on-topic --- what's the current M7 ZR1 record in the 1/4 mile?
I see.
To my point, a stock ZR1 on stock tires in worse air is .3 and ~3mph faster than your modified C6 ZR1 on drag radials from ~5 months ago. Mediocre performance for sure.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596735176
S.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:28 PM
AHP
Pro

I see.
To my point, a stock ZR1 on stock tires in worse air is .3 and ~3mph faster than your modified C6 ZR1 on drag radials from ~5 months ago. Mediocre performance for sure.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596735176
S.

This is hilarious; typical cheerleaders..! Firstly, you very conveniently disregarded my direct question, so I'll pose it again for you or anyone else in the peanut gallery: What is the current M7 ZR1 record? It's obvious why you dance around it.

What do the times I ran in a car not at all even in the context of this discussion have to do with validating your feelings, my opinions, etc.. on the topic? Because you found an example of a time I ran that's slower than your one and only hero car example, that somehow invalidates my opinion? Interesting logic.. FWIW, I've run quicker/faster (with a manual trans, no less) than the one auto trans ZR1 you and the other sympathizers continually (proudly) parrot. So what, though...?

Speaking of pride... Those C6 ZR1 passes put me #1 on the fast list for "Bolt-Ons without Internal Engine or Boost Modification" with the only mods being gutted cats and a tune (that basically only turned off the CEL's). I am actually somewhat proud of that. Enough about me. I don't see your name on any of the fast list..? What's your quickest/fastest drag pass with a manual trans?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:35 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando
best thing I ever did on this forum was add "man-handlederection" to the ignore list
Which reminds me...
Old 08-30-2018, 07:45 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by AHP
This is hilarious; typical cheerleaders..! Firstly, you very conveniently disregarded my direct question, so I'll pose it again for you or anyone else in the peanut gallery: What is the current M7 ZR1 record? It's obvious why you dance around it.

What do the times I ran in a car not at all even in the context of this discussion have to do with validating your feelings, my opinions, etc.. on the topic? Because you found an example of a time I ran that's slower than your one and only hero car example, that somehow invalidates my opinion? Interesting logic.. FWIW, I've run quicker/faster (with a manual trans, no less) than the one auto trans ZR1 you and the other sympathizers continually (proudly) parrot. So what, though...?

Speaking of pride... Those C6 ZR1 passes put me #1 on the fast list for "Bolt-Ons without Internal Engine or Boost Modification" with the only mods being gutted cats and a tune (that basically only turned off the CEL's). I am actually somewhat proud of that. Enough about me. I don't see your name on any of the fast list..? What's your quickest/fastest drag pass with a manual trans?
StreetSpeed717 ran 10.94 @ 133.72MPH in his M7 ZR1 on the stock tires... Im pretty sure someones gone faster than him too.

​​​​​​
Old 08-30-2018, 09:06 PM
AHP
Pro

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
StreetSpeed717 ran 10.94 @ 133.72MPH in his M7 ZR1 on the stock tires... Im pretty sure someones gone faster than him too.

Yep, I'm aware of his times. Those passes were certainly redeeming after the first time that car hit the track. However, even with the great DA (~400') those trap speeds are what further spurred my disappointment... 133MPH for a 670WHP car in good conditions is... ..underwhelming.

If there's a quicker M7, on any tire, I can't find it (or really any others for that matter).

Get notified of new replies

To Dragtimes racing ZR1 vs Ford GT

Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by AHP
Yep, I'm aware of his times. Those passes were certainly redeeming after the first time that car hit the track. However, even with the great DA (~400') those trap speeds are what further spurred my disappointment... 133MPH for a 670WHP car in good conditions is... ..underwhelming.

If there's a quicker M7, on any tire, I can't find it (or really any others for that matter).
Well your comment about it being underwhelming is pretty subjective and doesn’t take into account the weight and drag coefficient of the ZR1. I think amateur drivers making 10sec passes BONE STOCK is pretty impressive for this platform. Bottom line is arguing over 1/4 mile times is useless. The car was not designed for the drag strip and I highly doubt anyone buys it for that exclusively.

Back to the topic of this thread, this video proves one thing. The high wing ZR1 (highest drag obviously) hangs with the FGT in its lowest drag setting even when driven poorly. The VIR laps (and other records) prove the ZR1 is faster around a road course. Not to mention the ZR1 is MUCH more practical and comfortable than the FGT. How can anyone argue the FGT is a better car? And for 3x the price? LOL no thanks...
Old 08-30-2018, 10:16 PM
AHP
Pro

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver

Well your comment about it being underwhelming is pretty subjective and doesn’t take into account the weight and drag coefficient of the ZR1. I think amateur drivers making 10sec passes BONE STOCK is pretty impressive for this platform. Bottom line is arguing over 1/4 mile times is useless. The car was not designed for the drag strip and I highly doubt anyone buys it for that exclusively.

Back to the topic of this thread, this video proves one thing. The high wing ZR1 (highest drag obviously) hangs with the FGT in its lowest drag setting even when driven poorly. The VIR laps (and other records) prove the ZR1 is faster around a road course. Not to mention the ZR1 is MUCH more practical and comfortable than the FGT. How can anyone argue the FGT is a better car? And for 3x the price? LOL no thanks...

It's all subjective..

Weight, drag, aero, etc.. I completely get all of that. I've been doing the straight line weekend warrior thing across multiple platforms at various power levels for long enough to have some... ..opinions/expectations. I firmly disagree that arguing/debating 1/4 mile performance is useless. Aside from maybe the Demon, no off-the-lot car was designed for drag racing, and clearly almost no one buys any car specifically for that purpose. However, for any performance-oriented car the 1/4 mile is one of the key benchmarks that provides a lot more usable insight/data than I guess is apparent at face value to most. The drag strip is the true lie detector for both man and machine; at least the most readily accessible. Acceleration performance carries over into all aspects of performance, and is one of the most tangible, in terms of general ownership experience, IMO.

As for the ZR1 vs FGT --- in the context of this comparo both have had a disappointing showing, IMO. The fact that the ZR1 hung with FGT is disappointing on both sides --- at least one of them should be 'fast'..!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by AHP
It's all subjective..

Weight, drag, aero, etc.. I completely get all of that. I've been doing the straight line weekend warrior thing across multiple platforms at various power levels for long enough to have some... ..opinions/expectations. I firmly disagree that arguing/debating 1/4 mile performance is useless. Aside from maybe the Demon, no off-the-lot car was designed for drag racing, and clearly almost no one buys any car specifically for that purpose. However, for any performance-oriented car the 1/4 mile is one of the key benchmarks that provides a lot more usable insight/data than I guess is apparent at face value to most. The drag strip is the true lie detector for both man and machine; at least the most readily accessible. Acceleration performance carries over into all aspects of performance, and is one of the most tangible, in terms of general ownership experience, IMO.

As for the ZR1 vs FGT --- in the context of this comparo both have had a disappointing showing, IMO. The fact that the ZR1 hung with FGT is disappointing on both sides --- at least one of them should be 'fast'..!
I understand where you are coming from however the 1/4 mile performance of the ZR1 did not factor one bit into my decision to buy one. And if it were 3 tenths faster down the strip it wouldn’t change my ownership experience at all. Just not what I want out of the car and couldnt care less. I expect most ZR1 buyers feel the same, otherwise a demon would be sitting in their garage. As far as the 1/4 mile being an indicator of performance, that is undeniable however far from the “end all be all” benchmark. Basing an opinion of a car on one test is pretty shortsighted IMO. Especially when the car is designed, and optioned in this case, for a different purpose and those options hinder its ability to perform the test.

Quick Reply: Dragtimes racing ZR1 vs Ford GT