C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New article w/GT2 RS and 720S

Old 09-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
You can name the manufacturer, and there will be a list of flaws due to poor design noted over the years.
Yup.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-02-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
I agree Porsche make a good product but it's far from perfect. My good friend here in Colorado was the lead person in setting up the meeting with Porsche U.S. headquarters in Atlanta regarding the finger follower issue. Porsche acted like they didn't know about the issue despite many, many documented engine failures. Ultimately they handled the issue but lost a lot of goodwill as many owners had to park their cars for months until Porsche acknowledged the problem.
The 2014 and 2015 model years were effected and I'm fortunate that I was in a hurry to replace my 2007 Z06 and chose not to wait on the GT3 as I would have bought a 2014. Instead I bought a 2013 991S X51 which I owned until 2017. At the time of purchase it was the most powerful NA car in the Porsche lineup. It was a fun car but sorely under powered at 430/325. My car had squeaks and rattles following 12 months of ownership which the dealer couldn't fix. The dealer experience was so-so. The best thing about my Porsche was the PDK transmission and the cup holders.
Last summer my son and daughter rented me a Z06 for my birthday. Following that exhilarating experience I placed a for sale ad in autotrader. A few days later I got a call from my Porsche dealer offering me 50% of the retail price of my 911. My car was only 4 years old with low miles. What an insult. The only Porsche cars that hold their value are the GT cars.
Two weeks later I negotiated a trade in for a brand new 2017 Z07 3LZ M7. This car is in a totally different league. I still hang with my Porsche GT3 buddies with whom I made friends years ago and not once when we go for entertaining drives do I wish I had waited for the 991.2 GT3.
I love my 991.2GT3, agreed. However, the Corvettes are nothing to shake a stick at... great cars as well! I'm sure I'll be back in a Corvette in the near future, but enjoying these GT cars for now, with a new RS a few months away.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-02-2018, 05:23 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
I love my 991.2GT3, agreed. However, the Corvettes are nothing to shake a stick at... great cars as well! I'm sure I'll be back in a Corvette in the near future, but enjoying these GT cars for now, with a new RS a few months away.

Best Regards,
Dave
Understood

The following users liked this post:
Dave Schotz (09-02-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 02:14 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Good read, thanks.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:39 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Good read. Tried to keep my "geek head" out of it at least for the things that do not count... writer does his best to keep everybody happy...but for the important stuff... could not!..(again: good read):

1. GT2RS makes the "700" club by DIN standards.. don't mind the least but then the ZR1 is 768 DIN vs 755 SAE
2. ZR1 with A8 Weight: 3560. Incorrect; that is the weight of a base ZR1 with manual. Tested car with A8 is more.
3. GT2RS weight 3241: Incorrect; that is declared DIN dry weight. Base "street" US curb is 3465.
4. GT2RS massive Michelin Sport Cup 2 R tires, essentially the same compound as the Corvette wore.... Nice semantic play with "essentially" but incorrect. CUP 2 R tires so far have only been fitted to GT cars for marketing tests. Porsche GT OEM cars are still fitted with "regular" CUP 2s.. I tried to purchase CUP 2 Rs directly from Michelin (they do not exist yet) AND Porsche a month ago and was told first quarter next year (maybe)...

Render unto Caesar

Palantirion (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:46 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

That was a good read! A breath of fresh air than all the nonsense currently on this forum. Thanks OP!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:56 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

The weights quoted are heavily incorrect. GT2RS does not weigh 3200 lbs and neither does the ZR1 they got at 3560 lbs. We now know 3560 lbs is for manual. Furthermore, GM curb weight includes full tank of gas vs porsche quotes DIN dry weight with no gas. As a result, we also know GT2RS weighs 3400 lbs. The weight delta between two cars is more like 250 lbs (or 150 lbs with manual).

Depending on how you look at it though:

- GT2RS isnt as light as people think....
- Or even with all that weight and only 700hp and only 553 torque....

On that note, I am actually thinking maybe motor trend should have been given the manual car for their test. I think it may have lapped faster. 100 lbs of difference is no joke here in manual vs auto.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 09-04-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:53 PM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
Very nice article overall. I'm glad to see the cars described on their own terms.

"He set the lap record in a manual-gearbox car." Iiiiiiinteresing.

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
On that note, I am actually thinking maybe motor trend should have been given the manual car for their test. I think it may have lapped faster. 100 lbs of difference is no joke here in manual vs auto.
I agree, even if the auto is faster at Laguna Seca or Big Willow where MT tested the ZR1. They did the test with the car that they had for the Best Driver's Car competition and GM had to cost themselves several places in the finishing order (maybe not though, we will see when they release the results this month) by sending the less driver oriented car. The three-pedal option is unique to the ZR1 in this segment making it the most desirable one to me (no matter how perfect the 720S is or how fast the GT2 RS is on the 'ring or any other track).
Old 09-04-2018, 11:27 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Nice find OP! But, obviously these clowns never consulted with UnhandledException...
Great one Glenn!
Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I've been sitting on this info not sure how private it was but Mike Levitas and his son Harris are in Germany right now taking delivery and tuning a GT2RS. They drove it straight to the ring, had the setup tweaked by Lucas Luhr, and now are at Spa. Mike also has already put a DSC controller in it. Those guys are awesome!
https://rennlist.com/forums/european...new-gt2rs.html

I'm hoping they bring it to the track in October and we can play a bit. Another SPDC member just picked up a 720S and is bringing it to the track next week on Hoosiers. I'm hoping I can make it out for a day to play. If I do I'll make sure I put video up on my channel no matter how the ZR1 fares. What a great time to be a car enthusiast.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDS...IkweraNN2199tg
The following 6 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
DebRedZR1 (09-05-2018), desmophile (09-08-2018), DoctorV8 (09-05-2018), Lavender (09-05-2018), Palantirion (09-05-2018), Telepierre (09-05-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I've been sitting on this info not sure how private it was but Mike Levitas and his son Harris are in Germany right now taking delivery and tuning a GT2RS. They drove it straight to the ring, had the setup tweaked by Lucas Luhr, and now are at Spa. Mike also has already put a DSC controller in it. Those guys are awesome!
https://rennlist.com/forums/european...new-gt2rs.html

I'm hoping they bring it to the track in October and we can play a bit. Another SPDC member just picked up a 720S and is bringing it to the track next week on Hoosiers. I'm hoping I can make it out for a day to play. If I do I'll make sure I put video up on my channel no matter how the ZR1 fares. What a great time to be a car enthusiast.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDS...IkweraNN2199tg
- One of these days I want to figure out how to shake your hand and buy you a beer.
Poor-sha (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

On Rennlist a guy just had an awesome comparison between a GT2 RS and Porsche cup with factory driver Bryan Sellers at the wheel of each. Track was Road America. They still don't have the unobtanium CupR available for purchase so he couldn't get any so they ran it on Trofeo R. Box stock with factory alignment. Did a 2:17.0. He said it was quite lively at the limit with quite a bit of oversteer. But that time is fast!

Levitas can drive BTW. If you can keep up with him in one, you can keep up with anybody in one.

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-05-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
On Rennlist a guy just had an awesome comparison between a GT2 RS and Porsche cup with factory driver Bryan Sellers at the wheel of each. Track was Road America. They still don't have the unobtanium CupR available for purchase so he couldn't get any so they ran it on Trofeo R. Box stock with factory alignment. Did a 1:17.0. He said it was quite lovely at the limit with quite a bit of oversteer. But that time is fast!

Levitas can drive BTW. If you can keep up with him in one, you can keep up with anybody in one.
1:17...
It just seems a little bit too fast.....
Just making sure you did not "fat finger" that number?

Cheers

Old 09-05-2018, 06:14 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been following the story on Rennlist and as an additional point of interest the GT2 RS burned through 1/3 a tank (extended) of gas and an entire tank of water in 5 laps. It exhibits a lot of oversteer when pushed hard through a corner. The 2RS was characterized as really well sorted out for street driving but a little less on the track. (It's all relative) Looking forward to Poor-sha's head to head.

Last edited by bcmarly; 09-05-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:22 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Telepierre (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:15 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Telepierre
1:17...
It just seems a little bit too fast.....
Just making sure you did not "fat finger" that number?

Cheers
Fixed
2:17.....lol

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-05-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

- No, Saleen's were not aftermarket, they were bespoke and made in-house like most of the serious parts of the S7. The ones on my BMW are made by Ground Control, and they have a very long history of making sway bars for BMW, Porsche and the like. Their products are, in many ways, superior to the OEM versions - that's why they are used.

Are the ones on your track car teflon-lined? Dinan was starting to make teflon-lined monos for their front control arm replacements. They were quiet longer than regular mono, but I don't know for how much longer.
They might have come on an OEM car, but they were more than certainly bought. Saleen wasn't manufacturing their own solid ball joints.

Get notified of new replies

To New article w/GT2 RS and 720S

Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by village idiot
They might have come on an OEM car, but they were more than certainly bought. Saleen wasn't manufacturing their own solid ball joints.
- Like they didn't make their own engines in house? Oh, but they did. Besides since no OEM directly manufactures most of the parts that go on their car so there is no logic in assuming quality levels between major and minor manufacturers based on your fallacious implication.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bcmarly
I've been following the story on Rennlist and as an additional point of interest the GT2 RS burned through 1/3 a tank (extended) of gas and an entire tank of water in 5 laps.
- That was at Road America? If so then that translates to 8 laps at Willow, which if we estimate 1.34 minutes per lap (running 1:20s) it would mean that it would run out of gas in 32 minutes. So it could finish a single 25min session but with little reserve and hopefully no low-tank fuel starvation in 2 or the Omega. Geez, I thought the ZR1 was thirsty, but it can at least do a full session AND drive to town for gas and lunch.

I would love to see someone test the GT2-RS with and without the misters to see how much its performance falls off. It's only a little quicker than the ZR1 when the magazines are topping off the misters and controlling tests to reflect unrealistic tracking conditions.I must presume the German will fair poorly if lap times were taken 1/2 way through (or at the end of) a full session.

Last edited by Palantirion; 09-06-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:58 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

- That was at Road America? If so then that translates to 8 laps at Willow, which if we estimate 1.34 minutes per lap (running 1:20s) it would mean that it would run out of gas in 32 minutes. So it could finish a single 25min session but with little reserve and hopefully no low-tank fuel starvation in 2 or the Omega. Geez, I thought the ZR1 was thirsty, but it can at least do a full session AND drive to town for gas and lunch.

I would love to see someone test the GT2-RS with and without the misters to see how much its performance falls off. It's only a little quicker than the ZR1 when the magazines are topping off the misters and controlling tests to reflect unrealistic tracking conditions.I must presume the German will fair poorly if lap times were taken 1/2 way through (or at the end of) a full session.
Not directly comparable as the very long straights at WOT are gonna suck more gas at Road America. You don't spend nearly as much time at WOT at Willow, most of the time is spent feathering through steady state turns. Road America \is basically all straights with a few turns mixed in. The GT2 was hitting near 170 mph multiple times. The front straight is a big hill climb too. The higher the speed, the more gas being sucked. Neither are fuel efficient, but I would take a car that performs at peak and runs out of gas quicker than one that slows down significantly in various conditions. Once you introduce traffic at a DE your fuel consumption will actually go up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New article w/GT2 RS and 720S