C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Initial ZR1 impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Initial ZR1 impressions

Ok, so I picked up my ZR1 the past Saturday from Mike Furman at Criswell, the experience with Mike as always was second to none. This the third Vette I’ve gotten from Mike and I love the fact that it’s about 250 miles from my house to Criswell which helps me burn through half of the break in miles on the way back home with my brand spanking new Vette.

The car I traded in was a 2017 MN7 Z06.

My ZR1 is an MN7 with the ZTK package and the GM Cold Air box was installed at PDI.

On the trip back to NY I took the time to vary speeds, gears, rpms etc..the comical thing to see at times is a minivan pass me but I take the time to break the car in, some would argue not necessary, me, I’d rather be safe than sorry.

It’s now Wednesday and I am going to break 500 miles today and have made an appointment for the first oil change tomorrow.

First the fit and finish:

The difference in paint is striking comparing my Z06 to the ZR1, little to no orange peel, the body panels fit together perfectly, even gaps etc, and the car just looks gorgeous! With that said I’d be remiss to not mention that there is a teeny...tiny...imperfection on the lower passenger side front fascia that got trapped in the paint, don’t think I’m going to complain about it because I think to fix it would be more trouble than it’s worth but just wanted to be transparent about the car.

Now to my initial pre broken in driving impressions:

One other thing to note, I had the DSC shock controller in my Z06 which was a great addition and significantly improved the handling of the Z06 (which I removed and sold prior to trade in).

As I mentioned, the drive home was pretty pedestrian and at times slower than I would ever drive normally...but...this car feels different...the times I have driven it more “spiritedly” it feels like the road is a magnet and the car is a piece of steel.

The ZR1 just feels so planted to the road, even better than the Z06 with the DSC Controller...acceleration is more responsive and it feels like everything is just designed to be the pinnacle of what the C7 platform can do.

I didn’t track the Z06, but this car I will, I also plan minor mods here and there, but overall this is the best Vette I’ve had yet (it’s my 6th Vette).

I will video the tach breaking me free from the rev warning and break in period and will update as I’m able to drive this car like it should be.

The immortal words of former Corvette Chief Engineer Dave McLellan when speaking of the C4 ZR-1 certainly apply to this iteration of the ZR1 more than they did then...”ZR-1 is Corvette, only more so".

The following 18 users liked this post by Nyvetteguy007:
Bigeasyvette (09-05-2018), billiam01 (09-13-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-07-2018), DebRedZR1 (09-05-2018), dmaxx3500 (09-08-2018), GrapemanZR1 (09-05-2018), HotHonda (09-07-2018), ilkSurfer (09-05-2018), Lavender (09-06-2018), LoveTwoFly (09-05-2018), Oskee (09-05-2018), Palantirion (09-05-2018), Racerdj (09-10-2018), Runnn (09-05-2018), tractman (09-06-2018), trooper (09-06-2018), tstad9i1 (09-05-2018), zhopper05 (09-08-2018) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:34 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats on your new ride!
The following users liked this post:
Nyvetteguy007 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:42 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Thanks for sharing. The more I know I won't be gifted with a ZR1 the more I read these feedback posts...
Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Congratulations! I am very curious about the differenced between your ZO6 and ZR1!! Pictures please!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Kinsale
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Follow up

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Ok, so I picked up my ZR1 the past Saturday from Mike Furman at Criswell, the experience with Mike as always was second to none. This the third Vette I’ve gotten from Mike and I love the fact that it’s about 250 miles from my house to Criswell which helps me burn through half of the break in miles on the way back home with my brand spanking new Vette.

The car I traded in was a 2017 MN7 Z06.

My ZR1 is an MN7 with the ZTK package and the GM Cold Air box was installed at PDI.

On the trip back to NY I took the time to vary speeds, gears, rpms etc..the comical thing to see at times is a minivan pass me but I take the time to break the car in, some would argue not necessary, me, I’d rather be safe than sorry.

It’s now Wednesday and I am going to break 500 miles today and have made an appointment for the first oil change tomorrow.

First the fit and finish:

The difference in paint is striking comparing my Z06 to the ZR1, little to no orange peel, the body panels fit together perfectly, even gaps etc, and the car just looks gorgeous! With that said I’d be remiss to not mention that there is a teeny...tiny...imperfection on the lower passenger side front fascia that got trapped in the paint, don’t think I’m going to complain about it because I think to fix it would be more trouble than it’s worth but just wanted to be transparent about the car.

Now to my initial pre broken in driving impressions:

One other thing to note, I had the DSC shock controller in my Z06 which was a great addition and significantly improved the handling of the Z06 (which I removed and sold prior to trade in).

As I mentioned, the drive home was pretty pedestrian and at times slower than I would ever drive normally...but...this car feels different...the times I have driven it more “spiritedly” it feels like the road is a magnet and the car is a piece of steel.

The ZR1 just feels so planted to the road, even better than the Z06 with the DSC Controller...acceleration is more responsive and it feels like everything is just designed to be the pinnacle of what the C7 platform can do.

I didn’t track the Z06, but this car I will, I also plan minor mods here and there, but overall this is the best Vette I’ve had yet (it’s my 6th Vette).

I will video the tach breaking me free from the rev warning and break in period and will update as I’m able to drive this car like it should be.

The immortal words of former Corvette Chief Engineer Dave McLellan when speaking of the C4 ZR-1 certainly apply to this iteration of the ZR1 more than they did then...”ZR-1 is Corvette, only more so".

I didn't have the opportunity to adhere to the recommended break in on the way home after picking up my car in Austin. From Austin to Dallas, approximately 160 miles, the speed of the day was 85-95 with some over 100. On I-35, you either keep up with the traffic or get run over or worse yet someone with a gun takes aim at you. With that said, I don't think it hurt it and it performed without hesitation. To second the poster's remarks, the paint is flawless with no orange peel. I had a Bentley once and I think the paint is very close to that. Maybe a little thin in spots, but overall outstanding. With 670 miles on the car, nothing to complain about, nothing wrong with the car and the car is very tight. Now to the second ZR1 that I picked up used with almost 10,000 miles. I changed the tires to the Super Sport Michelins for less than $1500 out the door. I am changing the black carbon flash wheels to the pear nickel. Had an oil change and inspection and again I nothing to say about the car. Between the two, they both feel the same, drive the same, look the same, big wing on one vs little wing on new one. The used one is just as tight, just as clean and the used one has 8 coats of ceramic and one little ping that is not noticeable. The only problem on both is scraping the splitter, unavoidable!

Old 09-05-2018, 08:41 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Congratulations and awesome review!!!! Good to see a comparison from a M7Z to M7ZR!
Noticed paint improvement right away when my TR 16Z was parked next to Friends TR ZR!!!

Cant wait for more updates! Pictures
Old 09-05-2018, 08:43 AM
magnetx
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinsale
I didn't have the opportunity to adhere to the recommended break in on the way home after picking up my car in Austin. From Austin to Dallas, approximately 160 miles, the speed of the day was 85-95 with some over 100. On I-35, you either keep up with the traffic or get run over or worse yet someone with a gun takes aim at you. With that said, I don't think it hurt it and it performed without hesitation. To second the poster's remarks, the paint is flawless with no orange peel. I had a Bentley once and I think the paint is very close to that. Maybe a little thin in spots, but overall outstanding. With 670 miles on the car, nothing to complain about, nothing wrong with the car and the car is very tight. Now to the second ZR1 that I picked up used with almost 10,000 miles. I changed the tires to the Super Sport Michelins for less than $1500 out the door. I am changing the black carbon flash wheels to the pear nickel. Had an oil change and inspection and again I nothing to say about the car. Between the two, they both feel the same, drive the same, look the same, big wing on one vs little wing on new one. The used one is just as tight, just as clean and the used one has 8 coats of ceramic and one little ping that is not noticeable. The only problem on both is scraping the splitter, unavoidable!
Beautiful..Good luck
Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Jack-TX
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Beautiful ZR1, love the blue calipers on a black car!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:25 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Initial ZR1 Impressions

Nyvetteguy007

"First the fit and finish:
The difference in paint is striking comparing my Z06 to the ZR1, little to no orange peel, the body panels fit together perfectly, even gaps etc, and the car just looks gorgeous! With that said I’d be remiss to not mention that there is a teeny...tiny...imperfection on the lower passenger side front fascia that got trapped in the paint, don’t think I’m going to complain about it because I think to fix it would be more trouble than it’s worth but just wanted to be transparent about the car."
________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ____________
I too find the quality of the overall paint finish better on the C7 ZR1 vs. C7 Z06. Upon close inspection I was disappointed that there are several small dull spots in the hood clear coat and small circular sanding scratches beneath the color coat. They are not blemishes that appear to be the kind that would yield to buff and polish because they may have been aggravated by machine polishing as evidenced by the polishing swirls. There is also a small dust blemish in the roof halo. The big concern to me is a blemish or scrape in the CF front spoiler end cap that has exposed fiber without clear coat. Since the dealer denies any buffing, polishing or finishing during delivery preparation, I can only surmise that the nine day delay before I called Bowling Green about the delay in advancing from 3800 status was caused by a QA hold. I am trying to determine what steps that will be taken to correct these issues. I still love the car and continue with the belief that quality continues to improve as the Corvette model progresses.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Anthony D'Aloisio
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Shocked with all the quality expectations! I had a few hic cups with quality however the folks in the Green made it right! Agree with all, best vette I’ve owned.......
Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I'm envious......
Old 09-06-2018, 06:26 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racerdj
Congratulations! I am very curious about the differenced between your ZO6 and ZR1!! Pictures please!
Pics later today...
DebRedZR1 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:18 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Congratulations on the beautiful new cars. The C7 (especially ZR1) along with a couple of past gen cars have iconic lines that will never grow old. I've never heard or read of the quote from Dave McLellan referenced in post 1 ”ZR-1 is Corvette, only more so", however it seems worthy of being subtly badged indiscreetly somewhere on/in the car...possibly in engine bay or as a message that briefly appears on display at startup. If indeed this is the last FE Corvette, IMO GM is making a mistake.
Nyvetteguy007 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 11:12 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I really thought long and hard about the ZR1 but it was hard to find and lots of $$ so I went M7 Z06 for a little more then half the price. You own a true supercar, enjoy!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06
I really thought long and hard about the ZR1 but it was hard to find and lots of $$ so I went M7 Z06 for a little more then half the price. You own a true supercar, enjoy!
Thanks...I loved my ‘17 Z06...you also have a great car!
Old 09-08-2018, 07:23 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Congratulations on your new ZR1.
Nyvetteguy007 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Kinsale
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default You are correct

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06
ZR1 vs Z06, you are probably much wiser to purchase and enjoy your Z06 vs paying for a ZR1. I have had both and we all know the ZR1 is overpriced for what you get. As far as I can tell is 1. you get 100hp more and 2. a different hood and front end. Is it worth the extra price? NO. I would be just as happy with my old (2017) Z06 and kept more money in my bank account. Looking back on the purchases, I don't have buyers remorse, but I have a hard time justifying paying approximately $500 per hp.

Get notified of new replies

To Initial ZR1 impressions

Old 09-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kinsale
ZR1 vs Z06, you are probably much wiser to purchase and enjoy your Z06 vs paying for a ZR1. I have had both and we all know the ZR1 is overpriced for what you get. As far as I can tell is 1. you get 100hp more and 2. a different hood and front end. Is it worth the extra price? NO. I would be just as happy with my old (2017) Z06 and kept more money in my bank account. Looking back on the purchases, I don't have buyers remorse, but I have a hard time justifying paying approximately $500 per hp.
Alas opinions are like....opinions
The ZR1 is an incremental improvement over the Z06 yes and I can see your points, but I love the design changes and the additional power etc...I for one am glad I have what to this point is the pinnacle of what Corvette is and couldn’t be happier with the purchase...
Racerdj (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:25 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,274 Likes on 793 Posts

Great car, congratulations ! but do you know the price of a ZR1 in France ? it's not imported officially in UE by GM, so juste one in France and to the standardization to do : 250 K€...I let you convert, not sure a lot of in Europe at this price and all the taxes , fees by this by this government of thieves in France
Nyvetteguy007 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Nesch18
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Great car, congratulations ! but do you know the price of a ZR1 in France ? it's not imported officially in UE by GM, so juste one in France and to the standardization to do : 250 K€...I let you convert, not sure a lot of in Europe at this price and all the taxes , fees by this by this government of thieves in France
in Germany you can buy them for around 190000 Euros all set and done, ready to register.
Nyvetteguy007 (09-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Initial ZR1 impressions