C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

MT's Best Driver's Car is here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr
There's no launch control, but F1 steering wheels include a race start display, mostly an rpm display (low, high, or "good to go") to let the drivers use the throttle to rev the engine up to the ideal rpm (as chosen by the team). The end result is some drivers out launch other drivers due to clutch and throttle inputs, but you rarely see launch issue collisions (usually it's turn 1 issues depending on the track).
How right you are' thanks! Two summers ago I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with Lewis and we talked specifically about the challenges relating to the start of of a GP. I could have sworn he referred to launching the car as launch control but he must have said "launching", not launch control.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Depends on which driving mode you're in. You really need to get more experience with the PTM/ Active Handling on the C7Z, including the various modes.

Maybe Randy wasn't very well informed about it either, if he couldn't get the 10% slip he wanted unless it was deactivated. Like I said before, maybe he was in "wet" mode (which is very conservative), and didn't know it.

With about 10 different modes available, remembering them all, what they do (and how to access all of them) can get confusing, even for those of us who own and drive them regularly.
No I don't, I'm trying to be a better driver, not a worse one.

If Randy, or any other pro level driver felt that power cut that Mero experienced in turn 1 on race mode, he would have cut it off immediately. You can tell from the video that the system responds differently in different turns. No predictability equals no Bueno. And it still slows you down way too much when it does kick in. And that's Mero who has thousands of laps with it on.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I like the fact that Corvette gives us all the ability to use or not use programming as we see fit. After all, for that much money I think everyone can expect their own personal satisfaction. Some see a wart, others see a mole and some might even see a beauty mark. Personally, I can't wait to get mine on the track and try every thing that the engineers put into it, find out what offers me the most and what I like to fit my driving style. And, in the final analysis, I suppose that is what the engineers were shooting for.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:32 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I like the fact that Corvette gives us all the ability to use or not use programming as we see fit. After all, for that much money I think everyone can expect their own personal satisfaction. Some see a wart, others see a mole and some might even see a beauty mark. Personally, I can't wait to get mine on the track and try every thing that the engineers put into it, find out what offers me the most and what I like to fit my driving style. And, in the final analysis, I suppose that is what the engineers were shooting for.
Absolutely correct. The ability to chose what works best for you and your goals at the track is the ultimate point. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
No I don't, I'm trying to be a better driver, not a worse one.

If Randy, or any other pro level driver felt that power cut that Mero experienced in turn 1 on race mode, he would have cut it off immediately.
Which "race" mode?
There are about six different configurations of "track" mode.

Dude, the more you post, the more you demonstrate how little you know. Would you consider giving it a break, until you learn a little more?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-25-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:58 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Which "race" mode?
There are about six different configurations of "track" mode.

Dude, the more you post, the more you demonstrate how little you know. Would you consider giving it a break, until you learn a little more?
How am I supposed to know that? How does anyone know other than the driver oher than what's sometimes displayed on the screen?

Is it not a reasonable assumption that Mero chose the one that gave him the best lap time? Keep nitpicking, but make sure to post lap times next to your observations since you're the PTM expert.

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-25-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

How am I supposed to know that? How does anyone know other than the driver oher than what's sometimes displayed on the screen?
Most of it's in the owners manual.

It wouldn't be any surprise if most test drivers haven't read all the way through it. Lots of owners haven't either.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-25-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Most of it's in the owners manual.

It wouldn't be any surprise if most test drivers haven't read all the way through it. Lots of owners haven't either.
Oh, no I've read up on the modes. You aren't running lap records in Wet, basic dry mode, sport 1 or sport 2 I've driven sport 2 and it's far too restrictive. The only mode left is race and off as far as I know.

My point is that you aren't setting any lap records unless you are in race mode. On Mero's video, he's in race mode, it says it right there on the screen.

So my point is, you can clearly see the PTM cut in and cost time in one corner, and then miss to the point of losing time in a another. PTM at its most racy mode.
​​​​​​

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-25-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:16 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

On Mero's video, he's in race mode, it says it right there on the screen.

So my point is, you can clearly see the PTM cut in and cost time in one corner, and then miss to the point of losing time in a another. PTM at its most racy mode.
​​​​​​
Which video? Link? I'll check it out.
How did you determine that PTM cost time in those corners?

Old 09-26-2018, 05:23 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Which video? Link? I'll check it out.
How did you determine that PTM cost time in those corners?
When your speed decreases momentarily exiting a corner, you are losing time. This happens multiple times in the first few corners on this lap. One due to PTM interruption, the ohher due to the back end stepping out and then either a resultant lift or late PTM interruption. These are only worth a tenth or 2 each because they don't lead onto long straights but time lost nonetheless.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

When your speed decreases momentarily exiting a corner, you are losing time. This happens multiple times in the first few corners on this lap. One due to PTM interruption, the ohher due to the back end stepping out and then either a resultant lift or late PTM interruption. These are only worth a tenth or 2 each because they don't lead onto long straights but time lost nonetheless.
LOL, some throttle modulation and corrections are going to be needed when driving that fast, whether done by the driver, or by PTM. It's faster than "drifiting" through a corner, or running off the track, right?
Backing off the throttle because you went in a little too hot, or to regain traction when you've put in a combination of forces which exceed the traction available from the rear tires, is a normal part of exploring the limits of an automobile. Yes, he might have been a little faster if he'd gotten everything perfect and hadn't needed to do that. Which might have also resulted in not getting the full potential of the car in other corners. It's a constant dance between over-driving and under-driving the car.

Note that Mero set this track record in race mode with PTM (and Active Handling?) enabled, and not with all the driver assists turned off. Why do you suppose he chose that? Are you contending that he would have been faster with everything turned off?

As mentioned earlier, the reason F1 cars don't use those things any more is because the rules prohibit it, and not because they are faster without them,

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-26-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

I agree but I think you and I are minority. There is a reason why this car is offered with chrome wheels and has a convertible option. There is also reason the stick shift has 7 front gears instead of 6.

We need to take the car for what it is and be happy with it. I highly doubt GM will make a true GT350R/ACR-E/GT3RS competitor. They just dont see any business case for it.
i was with you until u threw in the GT350R comparison... that’s like Z51 c7 level, maybe a touch better... sounds great and drives better than any other Stanger on the track but doesn’t run that fast.

back to MT, I can understand the M5... but can anyone explain to me why they included a Civic and Kia Stinger? Show me a real driver who dreams of sporting these bad boys

Last edited by Parcival; 09-26-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

i was with you until u threw in the GT350R comparison... that’s like Z51 c7 level, maybe a touch better... sounds great and drives better than any other Stanger on the track but doesn’t run that fast.

back to MT, I can understand the M5... but can anyone explain to me why they included a Civic and Kia Stinger? Show me a real driver who dreams of sporting these bad boys
My guess is because not everyone can afford an expensive car.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:27 AM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TARANTULA

My guess is because not everyone can afford an expensive car.
Follow the money.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:29 AM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

LOL, some throttle modulation and corrections are going to be needed when driving that fast, whether done by the driver, or by PTM. It's faster than "drifiting" through a corner, or running off the track, right?
Backing off the throttle because you went in a little too hot, or to regain traction when you've put in a combination of forces which exceed the traction available from the rear tires, is a normal part of exploring the limits of an automobile. Yes, he might have been a little faster if he'd gotten everything perfect and hadn't needed to do that. Which might have also resulted in not getting the full potential of the car in other corners. It's a constant dance between over-driving and under-driving the car.

Note that Mero set this track record in race mode with PTM (and Active Handling?) enabled, and not with all the driver assists turned off. Why do you suppose he chose that? Are you contending that he would have been faster with everything turned off?

As mentioned earlier, the reason F1 cars don't use those things any more is because the rules prohibit it, and not because they are faster without them,
Wait for it. lol
Old 09-26-2018, 11:44 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

It's called best DRIVERS car! Not FASTEST car. Or BEST lap time car. Go drive a Subaru BRZ or Toyota GT86, and then tell me that a C7 drives better. It doesn't. Faster, yes, better driving, NO!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:56 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by meadowz06
It's called best DRIVERS car! Not FASTEST car. Or BEST lap time car. Go drive a Subaru BRZ or Toyota GT86, and then tell me that a C7 drives better. It doesn't. Faster, yes, better driving, NO!
Subaru BRZ/Yota '86...Sorry I haven't laughed that hard in a few weeks. Seen a few fanbois of platform on here lately...Prob how many in the UN felt yest with "accomplished more than almost any other administration." I will say it must be a tough little platform for running high altitude rally under low O2 conditions, as Travis Pastrana broke the Pikes Peak record in one.

Matter of preference, but at that hp, I would say a '99 '986 Boxster or '01 BMW E46 drives better for less $

Srsly, there are four for sale privately in my neighborhood, if you want one cheap; i've met two of them at my gym who endorsed trading to Stingrays.

Last edited by Parcival; 09-26-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To MT's Best Driver's Car is here!

Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

​​​​​​

LOL is right. I'm not going to explain it to you.

My simple point is that now I can see why no independent testing has verified PTM is faster than a pro driver. I can also see why Randy doesn't like it. I can also see why C&D turned off all the drivers aids for lightning lap. There is no mystery now or me just trusting Randy's unbiased opinion.

I think a driver of Mero s caliber would be faster with it off. But you don't honestly think he has a choice do you? With all the effort GM has put in to convince people it's faster, you think he would actually even try to show otherwise? He may not have even done laps with PTM off that day.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:09 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Subaru BRZ/Yota '86...Sorry I haven't laughed that hard in a few weeks. Seen a few fanbois of platform on here lately...Prob how many in the UN felt yest with "accomplished more than almost any other administration." I will say it must be a tough little platform for running high altitude rally under low O2 conditions, as Travis Pastrana broke the Pikes Peak record in one.

Matter of preference, but at that hp, I would say a '99 '986 Boxster or '01 BMW E46 drives better for less $

Srsly, there are four for sale privately in my neighborhood, if you want one cheap; i've met two of them at my gym who endorsed trading to Stingrays.
Just hope you never meet up with Meadow on the track. I have run with him in the past. You won't be laughing.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Just hope you never meet up with Meadow on the track. I have run with him in the past. You won't be laughing.
Thanks- good to know... but I couldn't care less if it were Travis Pastrana or Jonny Lieberman/Randy Pobst ganging up.

It's just one man's amateur opinion but I test drove the cars he's talking abt, own the two i mentioned, and have a '17 C7Z M7 and just sold '17 C7GS A8. It's also the wrong forum to basically ask if the Subaru BRZ is the car we truly want to marry, or just the one we have some fun with in dark restaurants but don't introduce to our parents in Birmingham (Note: i'm also from the deep south).

In my best fake NJ Italian accent: "Forgedd Suba-who?"

Last edited by Parcival; 09-26-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: MT's Best Driver's Car is here!