C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
That is HUGE and means COLLECTIBILITY.
Nope. It won't. Its value will tank just as fast as any other Corvette when the next generation car comes out. That's not a dig against the ZR1 in any way; just an observation. It'd be a bit foolish to believe otherwise.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
3 Z06ZR1 (09-27-2018), NytmereZ (10-30-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:24 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Nope. It won't. Its value will tank just as fast as any other Corvette when the next generation car comes out. That's not a dig against the ZR1 in any way; just an observation. It'd be a bit foolish to believe otherwise.
You are missing my point. I do not expect the ZR1 to appreciate immediately, even if they ceased production today, nor did I buy my car with that expectation. It will depreciate but hold value very well as not every corvette or car enthusiast is interested in a ME car. I know because I am one of them.

What’s foolish is to believe the ZR1 is not a collectors car down the road. As beloved as the front engine corvette is, and for this to be the last iteration, cmon man how can you argue against that?!

Last edited by HTXSkydiver; 09-27-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:28 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
Color me dumb L.B.R?
Light- Brown-Red-
Old 09-27-2018, 09:58 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Not sure where you got that information of 200#s for another 50hp on the C4 LT5. The LT4 was a great engine, probably underrated for its power rating, but the LT5 could easily have gotten another 50hp without any additional weight. The LT5 had an aluminum block, but with its 4 cams, big plenum it was a pretty heavy engine.

The last DOHC LT5 engine was built in 1993, its development stopped before that (after GM had a 475hp version of it) because of emission certification costs.
Page 234 of 'Corvette from the inside' by Dave Mclellan:

"The planned future LT5 engine with its even more complex valve train would have been 205 pounds heavier than the Al. Gen III. Thus, a Corvette designed around the Gen III Al. engine would weigh around 405 pounds less than the same car designed too use the LT5. As a result, the LT5 engine would have had to generate 55HP more than the Gen III, simply to compensate for the heavier car. With the Gen III generating 405HP and the future LT5 estimated at 475 net HP, the effective power gain would have been a mere 15 horsepower."
Old 09-27-2018, 12:11 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
The reality is that it won't matter much in terms of long term value. Even a run of 2,000 cars isn't considered rare by anyone's standard. Maybe 40-50 years down the road, but many current ZR1 owners likely won't be around then
They dont even have to live that long, who is going to keep their car for even 10 years? Will they drive it or save the car for the next guy? I'm sure they will have storage for their car too. Too many considerations and I'm willing to bet most owners maybe like 95% will sell the car when the next latest and greatest comes out.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
They dont even have to live that long, who is going to keep their car for even 10 years? Will they drive it or save the car for the next guy? I'm sure they will have storage for their car too. Too many considerations and I'm willing to bet most owners maybe like 95% will sell the car when the next latest and greatest comes out.
Do you believe 95% of the C1 283” Fuelie owners sold to buy a C2? . 95% of the 327 C2 fuelie owners sold to buy a C3? take any previous C series highest performance car abd ask the same. The thing that make the C7 ZR1 even more special is that its the last of an era. Im as excited, if not more so, than anyone about the C8. However this is the most hyped new car in Corvette history, albeit not done so intentionally. As most other once in a lifetime things have shown us, the C8 will have to be completely “over the moon” or it will be somewhat of a dissappointment. If you think that the so-called “camaro taillights” of the C7 were controversial in its early days, wait till you see what scrutiny comes with the ME. It will prove to be great car I am almost certain. It will however, take some time, to become so. In that process, it will eventlually make FE Corvettes, especislly the more exclusive versions of the FE Corvette, surely the C7 ZR1, even more desirable than if the ME hadn’t come along.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:11 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Page 234 of 'Corvette from the inside' by Dave Mclellan:

"The planned future LT5 engine with its even more complex valve train would have been 205 pounds heavier than the Al. Gen III. Thus, a Corvette designed around the Gen III Al. engine would weigh around 405 pounds less than the same car designed too use the LT5. As a result, the LT5 engine would have had to generate 55HP more than the Gen III, simply to compensate for the heavier car. With the Gen III generating 405HP and the future LT5 estimated at 475 net HP, the effective power gain would have been a mere 15 horsepower."
The comparison Dave made was between the LT5 and the LS1, not comparing the 405HP LT5 to the 475HP LT5! The iron block LT4 was almost as heavy as the LT5. What killed the LT5 was the cost of meeting the new emission standard and certifying it. It was cheaper to produce the LS1. The additional weight reduction came from the C4 to C5 change.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:20 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Again, p.234. Not a mention of emissions but rather the weight of car to weight and hp of engine. You had hp, the weight, in the 90's, was extra weight to other portions of vehicle on a one to one. With the development of the LSX on the way the decision to drop the extra HP of the LT5 was one of weight/hp ratio - engine and car. Not my words, the words of Dave Mclellan, the chief engineer at the time.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:11 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

I was looking at Boardwalk Chevrolet's website on the ZR1 page and one of the bullet points stated "Limited 1-year run". Not sure why they would advertise this is if not true.
The following users liked this post:
duanesZ06 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 06:32 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET
I was looking at Boardwalk Chevrolet's website on the ZR1 page and one of the bullet points stated "Limited 1-year run". Not sure why they would advertise this is if not true.
I have heard that said by someone at GM I think, just can't remember who. But I am thinking that is the case.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:33 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

I bet once the car comes it they will market it as such to sell it to someone who doesn’t know any better.

Although I believe that to be true, it just haven’t been confirmed yet.

Last edited by D'ZR1 Messiah; 09-27-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hopefully enough units to back replacement parts. One-off items get to be expensive in the maintenance area.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:37 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Again, p.234. Not a mention of emissions but rather the weight of car to weight and hp of engine. You had hp, the weight, in the 90's, was extra weight to other portions of vehicle on a one to one. With the development of the LSX on the way the decision to drop the extra HP of the LT5 was one of weight/hp ratio - engine and car. Not my words, the words of Dave Mclellan, the chief engineer at the time.
Dave has described in his book how the C5 was designed around the aluminum LS1 engine which resulted in much less weight. The iron block LT4 was NOT 200#s lighter than the aluminum LT5. Nowhere he said what you said:
​​
IIRC, it was determined that to add another 50hp to the '95 LT5 would require another 200#'s added weight so they went with the LT4 instead. It was sort of like 6 to one or half dozen to the other. I love my '96 LT4. (However, I do need room in the garages if anyone is interested)
You did not find the LT5 engine in 1996 because what I said.
My 1995 ZR1 weighed 3420lbs. How much does your 1996 weigh?

Last edited by range96; 09-27-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by range96
The comparison Dave made was between the LT5 and the LS1, not comparing the 405HP LT5 to the 475HP LT5! The iron block LT4 was almost as heavy as the LT5. What killed the LT5 was the cost of meeting the new emission standard and certifying it. It was cheaper to produce the LS1. The additional weight reduction came from the C4 to C5 change.
Although we are really getting off the subject of this thread according to Dave what killed the LT5 was not emissions but rather weight compared to the new Gen III lsx series engines. The higher hp LT5 would have weighed 205#'s more than the LSX and would have required another 200#'s elsewhere on the vehicle ("Studies based on a large population of modern cars have given us the standard relationship between engine weight and total vehicle weight. Increasing an engine's weight by one pound means that the total car's weight will likely increase by two pounds." - p.234.)

Dave titled the last paragraph on page 233; "Why the Gen III doomed the LT5"

You ought to get the book. It is very informative about much of the development of all vehicles, vettes in particular.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:42 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
The intel on this goes back and forth. There was a run of the car that does not exist during the time frame my ZR was being built. Last info leaning towards C7 ending in March, time will tell.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:07 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Although we are really getting off the subject of this thread according to Dave what killed the LT5 was not emissions but rather weight compared to the new Gen III lsx series engines. The higher hp LT5 would have weighed 205#'s more than the LSX and would have required another 200#'s elsewhere on the vehicle ("Studies based on a large population of modern cars have given us the standard relationship between engine weight and total vehicle weight. Increasing an engine's weight by one pound means that the total car's weight will likely increase by two pounds." - p.234.)

Dave titled the last paragraph on page 233; "Why the Gen III doomed the LT5"

You ought to get the book. It is very informative about much of the development of all vehicles, vettes in particular.
I read that book long time ago. Dave did a superb job in it to promote the C5 and explain to the critics why the LS engines (built in-house) were selected over the LT5. My information came from another source, but over the decades I forgot from where, otherwise I would have shared it. I always thought the LT4 was a test bed for the new LS engines without the weight saving of aluminum. The matching of existing LT5 power, 405hp (not the 475hp that was already developed) wasn't until the LS6. Only the high revving 7 liter LS7 (with many fatal flaws) did the LS platform exceeded the LT5's capabilities. The extra weight came from the 4 overhead cams and chains, big heads and plenum. The dual-mass flywheel (to protect the transmission) also contributed to the weight. Some specs include that in the quoted figures... It's been great to revive these historical tidbits with you, what's interesting is that these topics will surely resurface again during the C8 release with the new DOHC designs.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:25 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Default One-off CF pieces

Does anyone have info on the one-off CF pieces the ZR1 has? Did GM commit to source them for a single model year from its suppliers? I'm thinking of the front splitter, hood, cowl, rocker panels, spoilers. Someone here should know this and that will tell us if the ZR1 is being killed by the end of March 2019!

Get notified of new replies

To Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?

Old 09-29-2018, 02:50 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

My intel tells me C7 is dead and all 2020 models will be C8/ME. March 2019 is the end of ZR1 C7 production, those with a manual ZR1 will have a rare car. The C7 ZR1 will be the last high powered FE corvette with a manual option ever produced. How many manuals sports cars are being produced with over 700 HP today, shrug can you say rare.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-29-2018 at 03:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Racerdj (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 04:26 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
My intel tells me C7 is dead and all 2020 models will be C8/ME. March 2019 is the end of ZR1 C7 production, those with a manual ZR1 will have a rare car. The C7 ZR1 will be the last high powered FE corvette with a manual option ever produced. How many manuals sports cars are being produced with over 700 HP today, shrug can you say rare.
Another opinion...Agree with above.
Sadly, in the camp of Spring ‘19 ZR1 end, Fall C7 end...Rumblings from Canadian exec sources at GM.
I’d keep the C7 ZR1 if I had one...last FE RWD, highest HP ever...but expect it would depreciate.
On a different note, it will be interesting to see how GM advertises/markets the C8. A HUGE CELEBRATE ME campaign - which should be the case - could have a more significant impact on C7 values.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

No one can predict the future values with certainty. I sold my MT 2007 F430 and put money in my business during the recession. Still the right thing to have been done, but I have since then three times tried to buy it back. Look at the premiums of MT F-430 over the F-1 transmissions for sale. Having one of the last MT Corvettes is one of my current goals.

Quick Reply: Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?