C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:41 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by D'ZR1 Messiah

But I’m speaking specifically the dealer. One of the forum members said he didn’t trust salesmen in regards to allocations. I know Rick had a line of people waiting to buy and all of his allocations are spoken for. The other dealer got his allocations cut by half and he no longer has any allocations left. So if those dealers no longer have allocations available, how would it benefit them to state that GM may not fulfill the allotted allocations across the nation? It doesn’t make sense.
Maybe, just maybe, the other dealer sold 3 of his allocation for more money... The scarcity of the CF pieces affecting allocation may be a valid reason for delay, but to stop building them 2 years sooner? GM built well over a thousand units already...
Old 10-17-2018, 12:55 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

The latest info I got from my Chevy dealer is that they are expecting the C7 ZR1 to continue next year and the C8 unveiling will be at the New York auto show next April.

The HP bump has not been confirmed yet.

Last edited by range96; 10-17-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:59 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
the C8 unveiling will be at the New York auto show next April.
No chance in hell of this. It's Detroit or bust for a new generation Corvette.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I agree... Detroit will not let NY steal the thunder. This is Corvettes biggest reveal in history.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
The latest info I got from my Chevy dealer is that they are expecting the C7 ZR1 to continue next year and the C8 unveiling will be at the New York auto show next April.

The HP bump has not been confirmed yet.
You need to stop stirring **** up
Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

"The latest info I got from my Chevy dealer is that they are expecting the C7 ZR1 to continue next year . . ."

Dealers generally know less than anyone about these things so his guess is no better than anyone else's. But for the umpteenth time no one really knows!

Last edited by BearZ06; 10-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BearZ06:
2019 ZR1 (12-11-2018), DebRedZR1 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:41 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp

I've seen hell freeze over and pigs fly in my lifetime.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

You need to stop stirring **** up
Ok, Ok, the HP bump is pure unsubstantiated WAG!
Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Carbon Fiber Not a real reason

I keep hearing the carbon fiber part shortage, due to a lack of production capacity, as a reason why Chevrolet can't fill prior and future allocations. I think this is just a red herring put out there to keep the issue of production confused. I feel it is just propaganda and not a legitimate reason to cut production or end production. With the number of large carbon fiber part supplier firms worldwide supplying parts for the automotive, aircraft and marine industries you don't think GM could readily reach out and contract with another provider to meet project production and future demand? If it is an actual problem, I think it is a logistical matter GM/Chevrolet could solve in a "heartbeat."
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
I keep hearing the carbon fiber part shortage, due to a lack of production capacity, as a reason why Chevrolet can't fill prior and future allocations. I think this is just a red herring put out there to keep the issue of production confused. I feel it is just propaganda and not a legitimate reason to cut production or end production. With the number of large carbon fiber part supplier firms worldwide supplying parts for the automotive, aircraft and marine industries you don't think GM could readily reach out and contract with another provider to meet project production and future demand? If it is an actual problem, I think it is a logistical matter GM/Chevrolet could solve in a "heartbeat."
I've been waiting 5 months for a replacement front splitter. If they are making this up they sure are taking it to extremes.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Even if CF stuff is true, it still means GM cant make more than 1500/year meaning even at the best case scenario of 3 years, you are still looking at less cars than porsche built GT3RSs alone (.1 and .2). Thats still fantastic for us.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:00 AM
cartester
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I've been waiting 5 months for a replacement front splitter. If they are making this up they sure are taking it to extremes.
It is because of this that I am torn as to whether or not I would see March 2019 as the last date of ZR1 production as a good thing. If they stop making cars then will they (GM suppliers) also stop making replacement parts, especially carbon fiber parts? Further, I bought my car to drive and enjoy. If it becomes a rare collector's item then I will see every mile I put on it as an expensive luxury rather than as a fun experience.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:02 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by cartester
It is because of this that I am torn as to whether or not I would see March 2019 as the last date of ZR1 production as a good thing. If they stop making cars then will they (GM suppliers) also stop making replacement parts, especially carbon fiber parts? Further, I bought my car to drive and enjoy. If it becomes a rare collector's item then I will see every mile I put on it as an expensive luxury rather than as a fun experience.
All valid points, but a healthy GM will provide replacement parts for the ZR1 into the future, IMO. They should be more available once current production demand ceases (back to the initial opinions on that topic)... additionally, for the dedicated trackrats among us, I believe we will see several opportunistic aftermarket suppliers start offering replacement parts: possibly functional painted fiberglass splitters that will make shaving those 1/10’sseconds on the curbings not quite so costly.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

All valid points, but a healthy GM will provide replacement parts for the ZR1 into the future, IMO. They should be more available once current production demand ceases (back to the initial opinions on that topic)... additionally, for the dedicated trackrats among us, I believe we will see several opportunistic aftermarket suppliers start offering replacement parts: possibly functional painted fiberglass splitters that will make shaving those 1/10’sseconds on the curbings not quite so costly.
I see Weapon-X has already posted that they are working on a larger replacement front splitter. I'm going to get one of those and keep my replacement factory splitter if it ever arrives in storage. This car needs more front DF to balance the wing in the high position and I'm worried about the supplied that can't deliver now going under. Yeah, it sucks if it becomes a collector car but I look at these barn finds that are rusted out still fetching big money so I'm going to just keep tracking mine and then see what it's worth if/when I decide to sell.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:51 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

In reply to the OP's question................................ ........................................ ........................................ . #FACT .......................carry on the speculation....................
2019 ZR1 (12-11-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:57 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
In reply to the OP's question................................ ........................................ ........................................ . #FACT .......................carry on the speculation....................
I'm still speculating on a certain used 2019 ZR1 in Torch Red, 7-speed, ZTK from Michigan (or a new 2020 ZR1). If you drive it down to PA for me to buy it I'll drop you in Jacksonville on my way to South Florida!
DebRedZR1 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:59 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I see Weapon-X has already posted that they are working on a larger replacement front splitter. I'm going to get one of those and keep my replacement factory splitter if it ever arrives in storage. This car needs more front DF to balance the wing in the high position and I'm worried about the supplied that can't deliver now going under. Yeah, it sucks if it becomes a collector car but I look at these barn finds that are rusted out still fetching big money so I'm going to just keep tracking mine and then see what it's worth if/when I decide to sell.
That's my way of thinking!

Get notified of new replies

To Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?

Old 10-20-2018, 07:21 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Default If I had a crystal ball

All my local Chevy dealers say the same thing, no more allocation, no info from GM, but they all expect the 2020 ZR1 to show up next year (along with the C8). I did find a dealer in a neighboring state with an allocation that they are ordering one with the SODP. Originally, I was looking for Torch Red, Sebring Orange being second choice. Now, I'm on the fence to make the decision. My mind says wait 'till next May when I could actually enjoy the car and deal with the logistics (I spend the winter in Florida, but don't have a garage there). I would have to fly back to take delivery and store the car in my garage until the spring. If I did that and the 2020 ZR1 rolls off the assembly line I'm guaranteed to instantly loose $30K. I have the cash, but I worked hard for it. If I pull the trigger on this I feel that my conviction for the 2020 ZR1 was all in vein. I still can't fathom GM killing the goose that lays the golden egg next March. If it was my call I certainly wouldn't do it.

Originally, I had planned to wait for the C8 ZR1, but an AWD hybrid would not be my choice. Also, likely we won't see that for another 4-5 years. I could just keep my '10 ZR1...

I hate to belly ache about a car purchase that most people can only dream about, but wanted to share what goes through my mind. I know I'll get a dozen offers to pick up the car while I'm in Florida, break it in gently, wash and wax it weekly until I come home next spring.

But seriously, does anyone have any real intel on the future of the C7 ZR1?
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

There is no C7 ZR1 beyond March 31.

But

EVEN IF there is, considering Chevy only makes 1600/year. What are you worried about?

Porsche makes TWICE as many GT cars a year and they sell for MSRP at best for a long time.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:25 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
There is no C7 ZR1 beyond March 31.
Do you have any proof of this or is it just your opinion?
DebRedZR1 (10-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Is March the end of the C7 ZR1?