C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

The ZR1 is a flop

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
Looks like pretty even match up with a car that cost $180k more.... Great driving, enjoyed the video!
More like $220K more, but heck what's another $40K.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

IMO definitely not a flop but if anyone thought that it would be faster than a GT2 RS they are naive. I knew all along that the GT2 RS would be and still is the king, been saying this even before the ZR1 came out.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Wow, fanboys vs realists.....

Can't wait for the post where the A/T vs M7 comes into the discussion....kinda like.....

Khabib vs McGregor

Old 09-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I think that my Z06 is a 100% better looking than the ZR1 especially with the BIG AZZ WING but even I understand that the ZR1 is the fastest and new king of the hill for now when it comes to Corvettes.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Only thing? It killed the Z06 VIR time by 5 seconds.
we're all gonna have to chip in and get you a math tutor....

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 09-21-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

The zr1 can turn lap after lap without loss of power or the dreaded limp mode. Its not a drag car, look at all the aero it has. ZR1 is basically the maximum effort vette with the current design.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Lavender
So you went from someone spinning a C7Z = more hp than the chassis can handle to a GT3 that hooks under power in a way a Corvette could only dream of.

That makes a lot of sense. No...actually it doesn't.

Ive driven a .1 GT3 around a track and that car will have its hands full with a C7 GS w/ Z07. .
Have you also driven a Z on track? Are you telling me you didn't notice how much more diligent you have to be while rolling into the throttle in the Z? really? ... You must not be driving fast enough.

I wasn't making a faster lap times argument. I was talking about hooking up under power. I would argue the gs could use that horsepower bump we are talking about, because the chasis could take it.

Doesn't the ZR1 make more power than the gt2rs? Would you argue the zr1 has a better chasis? ... Do you know how different the gt2rs chasis is from a normal Carrera? They didn't just give it another 300 horsepower and call it good like GM did turning the gs into the zr1. Oh and they fixed the overheating problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place and added a spoiler.

The zr1 is to super cars what every other Corvette is to their competitors. Often performance is on par or better than for half the price.

I don't really agree it is a flop. They will sell as many of them as they make. I just wish more changed for the extra $90k

Last edited by theplatinumog; 09-21-2018 at 11:11 PM.
spinkick (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:50 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
Have you also driven a Z on track? Are you telling me you didn't notice how much more diligent you have to be while rolling into the throttle in the Z? really? ... You must not be driving fast enough.

I wasn't making a faster lap times argument. I was talking about hooking up under power. I would argue the gs could use that horsepower bump we are talking about, because the chasis could take it.

Doesn't the ZR1 make more power than the gt2rs? Would you argue the zr1 has a better chasis? ... Do you know how different the gt2rs chasis is from a normal Carrera? They didn't just give it another 300 horsepower and call it good like GM did turning the gs into the zr1. Oh and they fixed the overheating problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place and added a spoiler.

The zr1 is to super cars what every other Corvette is to their competitors. Often performance is on par or better than for half the price.

I don't really agree it is a flop. They will sell as many of them as they make. I just wish more changed for the extra $90k
The current chassis is at its limit. I was surprised to see them add more power to it, with the z06 pretty much overpowering it as it is. You watch Randy Probst white knuckle the z06 and then turn around and talk about how easy the Zl1 is to run around the track, it makes you think. The mid-engine I think is the change you are looking for.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:38 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by spinkick
The current chassis is at its limit. I was surprised to see them add more power to it, with the z06 pretty much overpowering it as it is. You watch Randy Probst white knuckle the z06 and then turn around and talk about how easy the Zl1 is to run around the track, it makes you think. The mid-engine I think is the change you are looking for.
Right. That is what I am trying to explain to Lavender
Old 09-22-2018, 02:46 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by IRMB
That's pretty much what they were saying in the test.
Exactly, and that’s why the mid engine Corvette is nearly upon us.

I, like many here, have no issue with the ZR1. I wish I had one (or two!) but I also think that it has reached its practical limits as a street car, that’s just my opinion.

At this point I’m just an interested observer waiting to see what Chevrolet and the future have to offer. On one hand I’m really looking forward to the C8, on the other I’m a bit concerned that a mid engine Corvette will have such limited utility and such a compromised ease of entry and exit that it will be little more than a $75,000+ toy good for nothing more than the occasional canyon run and a Saturday morning cars & coffee. On the other hand the C8 could be the real deal, the practical, semi affordable mid engine beast (in a good way) that so many of us hope it will be. If they decide to drop the C7 in the near term I’d be in a bit of a bind deciding between a heavily discounted C7 GS and a price inflated C8 Z51.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 09-22-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:54 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Only thing? It killed the Z06 VIR time by 5 seconds.
Yeah OP seems to pick cherries and not the good kind either...

Ha. Fanboys always so butthurt when their team doesn't win.

This is me and my car, btw. I love it.

if OP is really a GS owner, I’m glad I traded mine in, because this was a pretty sorry attitude.

Last edited by Parcival; 09-22-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM
BHS.SWM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I appreciate reading comments here from people who have the actual experience & knowledge about the Z & Porsches. A "flop " compared with what? If Chevrolet would build a $320k Corvette (& I hope they don't) we would have to compare it to Bugatti Veyrons...My base Corvette can probably smoke 97% of the cars out there & is perfectly adaquate and a hellUVA lot of fun...
duanesZ06 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Obvious Troll is OBVIOUS. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
CorvettoBrando (09-30-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:34 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I'm just not a fanboy. I think the GS is a great track car. But right now I think the ZL1 1LE is GM's best overall track car. the FI C7's have issues and aren't worth the money.

I knew posting here the fanbois would be butthurt. Cause that's what fanbois do. Totally expected.
Oh, come on now. You wanted to start a sh&tshow and you accomplished your mission. Enthusiast sites (you know, like THIS one) are ALWAYS going to protect the object of the site. You, of course, KNOW THIS, but still had to play the TROLL ROLL and then when you got push back, you played the ever popular "Fanboy" answer.
Tell you what:
Go on Rennsport and tell them the GT3 is overated
Go on FerrariChat and tell them the 488 is POS because it's FI
Go on....nevermind, you KNOW what you're doing and WHY you're doing it. Just seems strange to need attention from total strangers on the internet.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-30-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 AM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to agree. The viper ACR, which had more than 100 hp less than the zr1, still is faster in multiple tracks and still hangs with the GT2 RS. At Laguna and big willow, the viper is less than half a sec slower than the GT2 RS and is still faster than both the Huracan performance and 720s at those tracks, and the thing had a friggin 6 speed manual. ACR is a monster and I was hoping the zr1 would be the next viper ACR which would break multiple track records (which GM I assumed marketed it would do) but nope. Too heavy and the platform is already at it's limit which is why they are going to mid engine.

P.S. the viper's MSRP was lower than the zr1's, so you can't use argue how cheap the zr1 is.
cplabaunza (09-25-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,836 Likes on 660 Posts

I'm just not a fanboy. I think the GS is a great track car. But right now I think the ZL1 1LE is GM's best overall track car. the FI C7's have issues and aren't worth the money.

I knew posting here the fanbois would be butthurt. Cause that's what fanbois do. Totally expected.
Do you enjoy coming off as a massive tool or are you just not very self-aware?
CorvettoBrando (09-30-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:14 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

C7 ZR1 is the last of the FE Corvettes for the near future. Who would of thought 15 years ago even 5 years ago we would be discussing that GM produced a Corvette with over 700 hp. I think that is very cool, Especially for us who had to go through the 1970 to late 1980”s with those laughable choices of low power sports cars. Tadge and Bob Lutz even in the last Autoline Video posted on this forum said the FE C7 was at its max grip capabilities. All the downforce wings are not going to solve traction problems. My loaded out c7 Z06 had issues with handling the torque and keeping it on the ground, the ZR1 must be a handful to drive. Lutz in that video even said unless its a high HP long strait type track that a Z06 will be pretty close in times with comparable driver behind the wheel. This is another reason GM is moving to a Rear Mid Engine agriculture, the ZR1 as an FE is maxed out. I do feel it will be a collector car if my first statement stands true that the FE is dead and ME is it. Answer to the ? Is it a flop, Well the Corvette ZR1 Crushes Ford GT in Car & Driver Lightning Lap.

I say not completely it’s just an overpowered FE which makes it hard to contain in most drivers hands, I prefer a balanced approach to my track weapons.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-22-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The ZR1 is a flop

Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BMadden
Do you enjoy coming off as a massive tool or are you just not very self-aware?
I need to use this in real life. Hahaha.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:36 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fasttoys
C7 ZR1 is the last of the FE Corvettes for the near future. Who would of thought 15 years ago even 5 years ago we would be discussing that GM produced a Corvette with over 700 hp. I think that is very cool, Especially for us who had to go through the 1970 to late 1980”s with those laughable choices of low power sports cars. Tadge and Bob Lutz even in the last Autoline Video posted on this forum said the FE C7 was at its max grip capabilities. All the downforce wings are not going to solve traction problems. My loaded out c7 Z06 had issues with handling the torque and keeping it on the ground, the ZR1 must be a handful to drive. Lutz in that video even said unless its a high HP long strait type track that a Z06 will be pretty close in times with comparable driver behind the wheel. This is another reason GM is moving to a Rear Mid Engine achriculture, the ZR1 is maxed out. I do feel it will be a collector car if my first statement stands true that the FE is dead and ME is it.
Hell. The z06 is maxed out, power wise at least, on the track. It cant even cool itself properly which is what the Zr1's main feature is all about. They had to stick giant downforce on the car, and it still feels like it wants you to die to get 9/10ths out of it. This is strictly what I see with experienced track guys
fasttoys (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Who here remembers Peter MJ? Because OP sounds a lot like him LOL

Quick Reply: The ZR1 is a flop