C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

It's Delivered, Driven and Modified...Initial Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 PM
pibohmark
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default It's Delivered, Driven and Modified...Initial Thoughts

Took Delivery of #1057 after what seemed an eternity!

My dealer was Pat O'Brien Chevrolet in Vermillion Ohio and they performed the PDI and installed the rear diffuser you see in the pictures from Ivan Tampi which really looks sharp in my opinion. The dealer also was required to do the update a previous poster discussed to correct a flame issue from the exhaust.

My initial impressions of the car met and in many cases exceeded my expectations starting with fit and finish. My first 240 miles were driving the car to Cincinnati to meet with Ben from Weapon X for some basic mod's. More about that to come.

My drive down the car seemed to want to wander a bit under moderate acceleration. Not really what I would call a pull to the left or right but more of a side to side wiggle. This could be attributed to the car possibly being slightly out of alignment which from my understanding this is not uncommon on many cars. The acceleration to the extent I was able to do so with the 500 mile red line in effect, was stunning.

I did notice that when driving in the sport mode the exhaust when not under acceleration load seemed to revert to "quiet" mode until I would accelerate and then would return to its throaty roar. There is a setting the guys at Weapon X showed me that you can open the exhaust to "Track Mode" manually to alleviate this.

Arrived at Weapon X and met with Blake who explained the procedures they were going to perform which included a baseline Dyno Pull and compression checks of each cylinder.

I stayed about 5 minutes away at the Springhill Suites and Blake was nice enough drop me off and pick me up upon the completion of the work. The initial baseline Dyno pull was 759 which was a few more HP more than Ben's personal ZR-1 in stock form and this was most likely due to having the Cold Air Intake Factory Installed.

I opted for the replacement pully (grooved for less slippage), the Corsa Crossover pipe which deleted the secondary cats, and the improved cold air intake tube along with the ported & polished throttle body exchange.

The post-modification

Dyno pulls resulted in a corrected HP of 849....I can tell you that once you get to this level or performance you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can deliver additional HP at less than $50 per hp! Great Job Weapon X

I will be at Barber in November to track the car and then off to Daytona seeking to break the sub 2:00 min mark. Further reports and video to come.
The following 2 users liked this post by pibohmark:
Ben@WeaponX (10-04-2018), ilkSurfer (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Congrats!

Please explain how your car has more RWHP than the 755 FWHP that the car comes with? The SAE RWHP for a stock ZR1 should be in the 650-670 range depending on A8 or M7.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:48 PM
ilkSurfer
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Congratulations. Can you pls post more photos of the diffuser when you can. Tnx
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by pibohmark
Took Delivery of #1057 after what seemed an eternity!

My dealer was Pat O'Brien Chevrolet in Vermillion Ohio and they performed the PDI and installed the rear diffuser you see in the pictures from Ivan Tampi which really looks sharp in my opinion. The dealer also was required to do the update a previous poster discussed to correct a flame issue from the exhaust.

My initial impressions of the car met and in many cases exceeded my expectations starting with fit and finish. My first 240 miles were driving the car to Cincinnati to meet with Ben from Weapon X for some basic mod's. More about that to come.

My drive down the car seemed to want to wander a bit under moderate acceleration. Not really what I would call a pull to the left or right but more of a side to side wiggle. This could be attributed to the car possibly being slightly out of alignment which from my understanding this is not uncommon on many cars. The acceleration to the extent I was able to do so with the 500 mile red line in effect, was stunning.

I did notice that when driving in the sport mode the exhaust when not under acceleration load seemed to revert to "quiet" mode until I would accelerate and then would return to its throaty roar. There is a setting the guys at Weapon X showed me that you can open the exhaust to "Track Mode" manually to alleviate this.

Arrived at Weapon X and met with Blake who explained the procedures they were going to perform which included a baseline Dyno Pull and compression checks of each cylinder.

I stayed about 5 minutes away at the Springhill Suites and Blake was nice enough drop me off and pick me up upon the completion of the work. The initial baseline Dyno pull was 759 which was a few more HP more than Ben's personal ZR-1 in stock form and this was most likely due to having the Cold Air Intake Factory Installed.

I opted for the replacement pulley (grooved for less slippage), the Corsa Crossover pipe which deleted the secondary cats, and the improved cold air intake tube along with the ported & polished throttle body exchange.

The post-modification

Dyno pulls resulted in a corrected HP of 849....I can tell you that once you get to this level or performance you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can deliver additional HP at less than $50 per hp! Great Job Weapon X

I will be at Barber in November to track the car and then off to Daytona seeking to break the sub 2:00 min mark. Further reports and video to come.

Happy to hear it Mark! A little backstory, he reached out to us, eager as could be expected with his new ZR1 in-bound! Ironically, it's nearly identical to mine, right down to the SOD package! We hit the rollers with just 250 mi on it and it laid down some respectable numbers. But post mods, the car really picked up! This had the basis of our X850 package with our intake tube, WEAPON-X Griptec pulley in the OEM size for less static slip and the ease of future change, and the Corsa x pipe which usually nets about 20whp, so this further validates the benefits of our intake tube and ported TB!

His mods were as simple as can be with:
WXM Intake Tube (GM air box was installed previously and on the baseline dyno)
WXM 95mm Ported Throttle Body
Corsa X pipe
WXM OEM Size Griptec Pulley

The results are just incredible considering the Z06 needs heads/cam/pullies etc to get into this range With the realized approx 15% drivetrain loss, this puts him right at the 850HP mark! Amazing picking up nearly 100 HP from intake, x pipe, TB, and slip proof pulley!

Video coming soon
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Nice car!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JMB
Congrats!

Please explain how your car has more RWHP than the 755 FWHP that the car comes with? The SAE RWHP for a stock ZR1 should be in the 650-670 range depending on A8 or M7.
simple conversion to BHP since very few are modding and thus the OP is correlating to this vs WHP output by the dyno.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:43 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

What’s involved in changing out the pulley?

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 10-04-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
The results are just incredible considering the Z06 needs heads/cam/pullies etc to get into this range With the realized approx 15% drivetrain loss, this puts him right at the 850HP mark! Amazing picking up nearly 100 HP from intake, x pipe, TB, and slip proof pulley!
- That is very hard to believe. 13%+ HP gain just from reducing airflow restriction. I am hard pressed to believe GM left that much on the table.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-05-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
Old 10-05-2018, 06:11 AM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
- That is very hard to believe. 13%+ HP gain just from reducing airflow restriction. I am hard pressed to believe GM left that much on the table.
WeaponX seems to have their #$it together, so sign me up, I guess I'm heading to Ohio....Its over 500 miles so that's a good first trip.
Thanks for posting the results.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 AM
pibohmark
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Congrats!

Those numbers were HP at the engine both pre modification and post...according to Ben, they extrapolate using 15% as the conversion.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Very cool!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 AM
txoutdoors
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 64 Posts

Just ordered the parts I needed to complete Ben's X950 package. Already had the CAI, throttle body, and intake tube installed. Plan to dyno with existing mods and again after the install of the remaining parts. So excited (especially after seeing this post!) to see the end numbers. Very happy with the Weapon X parts already installed. Will post the video when done.

To the OP - congrats on the car and upgrades. Yours is identical to mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by txoutdoors:
Ben@WeaponX (10-05-2018), pibohmark (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:34 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
simple conversion to BHP since very few are modding and thus the OP is correlating to this vs WHP output by the dyno.
Thanks for clarifying Ben, so what was the actual SAE corrected Dyno number before you converted the number back to FWHP?
Old 10-05-2018, 10:24 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Nice! Looking forward to how you do in Daytona. What event are you running ? Good luck !
The following users liked this post:
Thomasmoto (10-08-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JMB
Thanks for clarifying Ben, so what was the actual SAE corrected Dyno number before you converted the number back to FWHP?
Ah that pic was before they were up on the screen, I'll need to get back to the tower to take a pic of the actuals but if I recall, the HP was 720 vs 673 maybe?
Old 10-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Was this with the stock thermostat?
Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Congratulations on a stunning car!!
Ben@WeaponX (10-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To It's Delivered, Driven and Modified...Initial Thoughts

Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

She's set on kill. I got nine long days till my TPW. I have the gm cold air intake & your intake tube in the garage waiting.

*Hey Ben, can you or one of your guys have the capability of welding titanium?
Ben@WeaponX (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 PM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 830 Likes on 368 Posts

"The results are just incredible considering the Z06 needs heads/cam/pullies etc to get into this range With the realized approx 15% drivetrain loss, this puts him right at the 850HP mark! Amazing picking up nearly 100 HP from intake, x pipe, TB, and slip proof pulley! "

Let's not forget that the Zr1 runs 14 psi stock... Compared to the Z06 that is only 9, so with a tune, same boost and mods, it'd be a pretty close comparison no?

Last edited by chubbs6350; 10-05-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by chubbs6350
"The results are just incredible considering the Z06 needs heads/cam/pullies etc to get into this range With the realized approx 15% drivetrain loss, this puts him right at the 850HP mark! Amazing picking up nearly 100 HP from intake, x pipe, TB, and slip proof pulley! "

Let's not forget that the Zr1 runs 14 psi stock... Compared to the Z06 that is only 9, so with a tune, same boost and mods, it'd be a pretty close comparison no?
Not to me, boost is irrelevant because the cars aren't the same. I can put these same mods on a Z06 and you're still down 100 HP, just like the OEM BHP

But you do bring up a good point though because the Z06 puts down about 10-10.5 PSI we see at 20k blower RPMs making 650 BHP. ZR1 puts down about 14 PSI at 16k blower RPMs making 755 BHP. The ZR1 blower moves about 50% more air per revolution than the Z06 blower; however, with 4k blower RPMs less, the car makes 4 PSI more and 105 BHP more. It just goes to show you, there is a LOT more on the table once you get in. I've ran nearly 20* and an extra 3 PSI to make my 800whp and this is not "fine tuned" by any means LOL. I've tested a lot of what we call in-house "f*ckery" haha playing around with this.

Mark my words, when we get access, this blower setup will make 1000whp with heads/cam/E/ported blower/20 PSI and I have the parts sitting here waiting and going to test our dimple ported (think golf ball) heads since they really shine with port injection to reduce the port wall drag.

I have enough head room at the moment to port the blower, so that might be happening very soon as is too.
DocScott (12-02-2018)

Quick Reply: It's Delivered, Driven and Modified...Initial Thoughts