C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What do you suppose they do with a ZR1 like this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
Default What do you suppose they do with a ZR1 like this?

This ZR-1 was on display in the auto show at the State Fair of Texas that runs for three weeks. Since the car is unrestricted, the interior probably gets more wear and tear from people in and out than most other ZR-1's would get in a couple of years or more. And I already noticed some fine scratches on the exterior. More than likely, what would become of a display car like this?

Last edited by Guitarking1; 10-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:56 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

My guess is that it will go back to the dealership, totally detailed, and put up for sale..
Old 10-11-2018, 05:58 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

If GM owns it, auction. If dealer owns it, like post #2 says, clean up and over the curb.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 PM
JNorthstar
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

My Stingray was built for the auto show(s) with GM listed as the "dealer to whom delivered" on my original window sticker. That said, it was on display at the local auto show, prior to the local dealer purchasing the car. It was definitely detailed and disclosed to me that this was originally an auto show car. It was delivered to me without any visual flaws that I have noted.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:44 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,000 Posts

GM has display cars of different makes and models throughout the country being used in car shows and different events. They also have fleets of vehicles they use in sponsored events such as golf tournaments etc. as courtesy cars. These are normally eventually sold to local dealers and carry a very favorable discount. Any cars that do not get allocated to dealers will usually be sold at a closed GM Auction as a used vehicle.

Over the years I purchased and sold hundreds of these cars, particularly Cadillacs. Although many of them were used in high volume shows they generally had little noticeable wear and tear other than people continuously stealing small parts off them. Their use was made known to the purchaser and they received a substantial discount. I cannot remember having any customers dissatisfied with their purchase and to the contrary often had people wanting the same deal on another one a couple of years later.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd be a little worried about the wear and tear on the interior, along with the impact on the structural integrity of the seats after so many entries and exits, since a Vette is low to the ground and many people of various sizes and weights have a hard time getting into them. I went on a day and time where the traffic was relatively light, but there was still a number of people waiting to get into it.

Last edited by Guitarking1; 10-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by hope2
If GM owns it, auction. If dealer owns it, like post #2 says, clean up and over the curb.
Hey, a little 800 or 1700 dollar detail from that other thread, and it'll be BE YOO TEE FULL, and the buyer won't know the difference! It probably will get some "attention" and come out looking pretty good, or good enough to fool some of the folk, some of the time. Or long enough to get sold.

Oh yeah, with full disclosure of course.

Last edited by AORoads; 10-11-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

When I ran a VIN check on my 04, it had some sort of sequence that indicated it was a display car. I can't remember what the code was. I guessed it was taken somewhere like inside a mall, or a track or some other place where it was pawed on.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I bought a 2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Nismo Offroad which saw the beginning of life parked at the FL State Fair.
I got a great deal. It had not been detailed when I bought it.
When I drove off the lot it was spot less. Less than two hours later.
One of the best trucks I have ever owned.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 586 Likes on 517 Posts

If its corporate owned.. Crush it.

-Josh
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

There’s a preproduction Warkins Glen Gray ZR1 with manual trans on auto trader (seems like a real post by a dealer in WA) that is VIN 0038 I think. Has over 11k miles and was likely used as a test car of some kind. As low volume as the ZR1 will be I’m sure very few see the crusher unless mandated by law.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 PM
AZ Car Guy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
If its corporate owned.. Crush it.

-Josh
this is my understanding of what happens to preproduction cars, media cars, test cars, mules, etc. Crush them.

on the other hand:

when Jeep did a special edition Red Rock, originally displayed at Sema, the original Red Rock had all the ‘red rock’ accesssoriees and badging taken off and sold at auction as a regular Jeep rubicon. Granted, this Jeep was never really driven.

When the ford Raptor first came out we got to go to an event where you could drive the Raptors on an off-road track and literally jump them. All four tires over a foot in the air multiple times per driver. Each raptor had a window sticker in the window and we were told they would be available to buy as new the following week at the respective dealerships. I passed on that... I was surprised dealerships were okay with this.

Last edited by AZ Car Guy; 10-11-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you suppose they do with a ZR1 like this?

Quick Reply: What do you suppose they do with a ZR1 like this?