C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How many C7 ZR1's will be made?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts
Default How many C7 ZR1's will be made?

Rick “Corvette” Conti will give his thoughts on it soon..
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I have heard 2000 is the target.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikelj
I have heard 2000 is the target.
I think you are spot on. If true, pretty cool when the $1/2 mil Ford GT target is 1000...
Old 10-16-2018, 09:42 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

I dont think they will make more than 1500 if they are around 1100 right now. The month of december is very slow production and January as well. I think the main problem is the amount of custom carbon fiber pieces that are hand crafted. Even after purchasing their own CF plant, BMW had production shortages of something as simple as a CF roof (its a flat piece, not very complex). The hood of ZR1 must take a lot of time to make and if you consider GM has a supplier for this and they dont make it in house, its not hard to imagine they may have issues.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
I dont think they will make more than 1500 if they are around 1100 right now. The month of december is very slow production and January as well. I think the main problem is the amount of custom carbon fiber pieces that are hand crafted. Even after purchasing their own CF plant, BMW had production shortages of something as simple as a CF roof (its a flat piece, not very complex). The hood of ZR1 must take a lot of time to make and if you consider GM has a supplier for this and they dont make it in house, its not hard to imagine they may have issues.
Tj
This is a bit of selfish wishful thinking I hesitate to even write, but if your 1500 total production estimate proves to be accurate, I can almost guarantee you the C7 ZR1 will actually turn out to be a good investment in addition to being a fun driver.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
The current production numbers extrapolated to include all 13 months of 2019 MY production would put the total number of units right at 2000. If the production slow-down you mention is correct, which is very plausible considering holidays, weather, etc., you may be right at 1500 total units. That would also explain the several reports of GM cancelling promised allocations to dealers. If I'm not mistaken, the initial target was 2000-2500 units for 2019 and I am pretty sure the individual allocation numbers provided to dealers in early Dec 2017 were based on that target.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:27 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

Tj
This is a bit of selfish wishful thinking I hesitate to even write, but if your 1500 total production estimate proves to be accurate, I can almost guarantee you the C7 ZR1 will actually turn out to be a good investment in addition to being a fun driver.
Its just basic math. They are able to produce about 150 units per month. We are in october, considering there is going to be 1 month of very low to no production you have maybe 600 more cars at the most being produced but I guarantee you they wont hit that because they are going to lose time preparing for C8 etc early next year. So maybe 1750 units at the most.

That is less than the amount of GT3RSs produced for 991.1 generation which is considered rare. That is also less than how many GT350Rs produced (around 2000 I think). I’m sure this car will be very valuable in 10 years considering how overengineered it is across the board and there doesnt exist another car like it built by anyone ever.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

The question should be - How many will be made in 2019? Since they will start over and make nearly the same amount in 2020.

Last edited by vetteb_96C; 10-16-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C
The question should be - How many will be made in 2019? Since they will start over and make nearly the same amount in 2020.
Oh boy, here we go again... ZR1 is a "one and done" model. All C7 production is done in Spring of 2019...
Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C
After speaking to various dealers who indeed are connected with GM and has seen tangible material (powerpoint slides in some meeting), I am confident ZR1 is done this march. It is too much custom work for them (especially the CF bits) to support it alongside of C8. They are better of focusing on C8.
The following users liked this post:
HTXSkydiver (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I would say they will make as many ZR1 as they have orders for 2019.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
Oh boy, here we go again... ZR1 is a "one and done" model. All C7 production is done in Spring of 2019...
In all seriousness can you provide any proof of this or are you just speculating?
serpent (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
In all seriousness can you provide any proof of this or are you just speculating?
Cannot/will not reveal sources. Take a look around the forum on similar threads. This issue has been beaten to death and its very clear from all the corroboration what the case will be. Look at UE's post above as well. GM is not trying to generate interest by feeding rumors that the car will be a single model year, the fact is the C8 is coming and that will be the focus. They initially set out to sell 2000-2500 ZR1s in 2019. If productions numbers hold, 2000 is possible but unlikely. They have sold virtually, if not 100% of the allocations and have even pulled promised allocations from some dealers as they will not meet the demand... You can believe what you want at this point as its all "hypothesis", but there is some pretty substantial evidence behind it.

I believe the most impactful piece of evidence the C7 is in its final year is the fact that GM is struggling to sell all non ZR1 models. Corvette sales on the whole have been declining over the last two model years and the market for the Stingray/GS/Z06 is very soft with the C8 lurking just over the horizon. Tons of 2017s were sitting on dealer lots at massive discount when the 2019 MY started production... Why would GM continue to produce a dying model while taking production resources from what is sure to be a smash hit in the C8? Doesn't make sense.
duanesZ06 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Lol, all these early adopters clinging on to the ZR1 being a collectible. Hate to break it to you guys, you need to buy two of these cars. One to drive around and enjoy, the other to keep in a car cover in a climate controlled garage keeping it under 100 miles.

The real question is, do you have space to store car for X amount of years before you see an increase in value?
The following 2 users liked this post by serpent:
tooold2race (11-20-2018), vtecwagon (04-29-2019)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Cannot/will not reveal sources. Take a look around the forum on similar threads. This issue has been beaten to death and its very clear from all the corroboration what the case will be. Look at UE's post above as well. GM is not trying to generate interest by feeding rumors that the car will be a single model year, the fact is the C8 is coming and that will be the focus. They initially set out to sell 2000-2500 ZR1s in 2019. If productions numbers hold, 2000 is possible but unlikely. They have sold virtually, if not 100% of the allocations and have even pulled promised allocations from some dealers as they will not meet the demand... You can believe what you want at this point as its all "hypothesis", but there is some pretty substantial evidence behind it.

I believe the most impactful piece of evidence the C7 is in its final year is the fact that GM is struggling to sell all non ZR1 models. Corvette sales on the whole have been declining over the last two model years and the market for the Stingray/GS/Z06 is very soft with the C8 lurking just over the horizon. Tons of 2017s were sitting on dealer lots at massive discount when the 2019 MY started production... Why would GM continue to produce a dying model while taking production resources from what is sure to be a smash hit in the C8? Doesn't make sense.
In other words, no proof. You could have just said you were speculating and leave it at that.

There are people on both sides who have their "sources" which means absolutely nothing. The fact is no one knows at this point and this is all conjecture.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
tooold2race (11-20-2018), vtecwagon (04-29-2019)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:28 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
In other words, no proof. You could have just said you were speculating and leave it at that.

There are people on both sides who have their "sources" which means absolutely nothing. The fact is no one knows at this point and this is all conjecture.
Agreed, but the several people I have talked to have what I consider reliable evidence. Thats more than speculation but again, believe what you want to believe. We will all know soon enough.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:33 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by serpent
Lol, all these early adopters clinging on to the ZR1 being a collectible. Hate to break it to you guys, you need to buy two of these cars. One to drive around and enjoy, the other to keep in a car cover in a climate controlled garage keeping it under 100 miles.

The real question is, do you have space to store car for X amount of years before you see an increase in value?
Why do you care why people buy the cars they do? I didn't buy mine for collectibility, nor did I buy it on the premise that it would be a single model year car. Looks like I'm just getting lucky. Mine has 5000+ miles on it, has been to the drag strip, several autocrosses, and a track day at COTA so far. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and once I'm done (likely when C8 performance model comes out) it will likely get put away for hope of it becoming collectible. BTW, anyone who thinks the 2019 ZR1 will not be a collector car at some point is kidding themselves...
jc-zr1 (10-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To How many C7 ZR1's will be made?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Why do you care why people buy the cars they do? I didn't buy mine for collectibility, nor did I buy it on the premise that it would be a single model year car. Looks like I'm just getting lucky. Mine has 5000+ miles on it, has been to the drag strip, several autocrosses, and a track day at COTA so far. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and once I'm done (likely when C8 performance model comes out) it will likely get put away for hope of it becoming collectible. BTW, anyone who thinks the 2019 ZR1 will not be a collector car at some point is kidding themselves...
I couldn’t agree more about driving and enjoying the car as it was intended to be used. Doesnt mean flogging it like a rented mule, but not babying it either. I’ve done that with all my “machines”..regardless of how many wheels they've had. If things align so the value of the ZR1 stays healthy, that is only frosting on the cake. In the meantime, like you, Im enjoying the cake ..👍
Old 10-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Under 2000 sounds about right. Number 1000 was just produced a couple of weeks ago and delivered to it's owner last week. It was custom-ordered for a customer by Mike Furman at Criswell.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

This sounds just like before when "there won't be a C7 ZR1... it'll be a Z06X" or whatever... Where do people come up with this stuff? Dealers are the worst informed of anybody when it comes to speculation of anything. Anyways, with that being said, I agree with there will be a 2020 model and I have no evidence of that except "GUT". The 2 new colors are just coming out and they are only available for 5 or 6 months? Doesn't make much sense to introduce new colors for such a short period, and it's not very cost effective for all the R&D that went into the ZR1 to only be 1 model.
Just my $0.02 which ain't worth much.

Mark

Quick Reply: How many C7 ZR1's will be made?