C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 build quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
Why is ZR1 quality dramatically different than the non ZR1 C7’s? Do the line workers see the build sheet is going to have a bigger supercharger and then paint the car and screw the panels with more precision?
Some panels are different such as the halo hood. Not saying there are problems with the fit of C7 panels, just that there are some different panels between the two. Personally, panel fit has become much, much better since the C5. Even my C4 ('96) has excellent fit of panels compared to my C5Z. But I love my C5Z, too. It is exactly what I was looking for with road course work! If you want excellent fit of everything on the car perhaps you might want an S model Mercedes instead of a sports car. Just don't try to change the windshield wipers at home (Seriously!). Can't wait for my ZR1 to arrive. (I need more garage space....)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
Why is ZR1 quality dramatically different than the non ZR1 C7’s? Do the line workers see the build sheet is going to have a bigger supercharger and then paint the car and screw the panels with more precision?
Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
All the C7 quality is equal. These sorts of posts are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo transparent. Go back to your mustang forum.
He was making a positive comment why do you want to jump on him?

Bill
Old 10-19-2018, 11:00 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Sorry if I misread. With all the constant negativity IMO it came across differently.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Sorry if I misread. With all the constant negativity IMO it came across differently.
You are a moderator, you should be able to discern the difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by vrybad:
blb078 (10-20-2018), fleming23 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:34 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by vrybad

You are a moderator, you should be able to discern the difference.
I am not the only one who perceived it that way.
The following 3 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
2019 ZR1 (10-27-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-22-2018), Lavender (10-20-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys, this bickering will get this thread closed. Please stay on topic. People make honest mistakes everyday. Sometimes posts are misread....easily! Let's give each other a break and stay on topic, please.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:27 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,215 Posts

The OP claimed mismatched panel gaps and orange peels. That is contrary to what has been experienced by C7 ZR1 buyers. Unless pictures are presented by the OP, this post has no merit. The only mismatch is the optional winglet on the front spoiler for the ZTK. The wing is completely a subjective item, you either like it or you don't.
DebRedZR1 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by SublimeZ06
So I have been eyeballing the ZR-1s....

Went to a large local dealer to see it up close in person. A couple of comments:

1. The wing is hideous (although I understand that it is very functional on the track).

2. The example that I saw in person had horrible mismatched panel gaps and orange peel everywhere.

There is no way Chevy can justify charging 150k for this car.

Disappointed.
I agree. I wanted the performance suspension and benefits of the ZTK package so I relented and accepted that I had to buy the obnoxious big wing that makes the car look like a ricer-mobile. I know, I know, the big wing provides some of those ZTK aero benefits for track use. I still don't like it although the wing quality and finish is good. I thought the huge $400 plus million investment in the new BG paint shop was supposed to improve the paint quality and fit/ finish problems. My C6 2013 427 and C7 Z06 have far better paint and finish on the body panels than my 2019 ZR1. Even my Gen6 ZL1 is better. When I took delivery the hood had obvious clear coat and color coat problems although Chevrolet denies any repair work in QA was performed during a ten day delay after production. The problems with dented panels appeared on my rear hatch adjacent to the glass. The roof halo has impurities in the clear, possibly the color coat. The front CF splitter has exposed fiber and "burrs" in visible areas where the CF was lapped. Amazingly, according to my dealer, Chevrolet reps deny fault by saying "they" do not paint any CF parts or panels. That does not make any sense since practically the whole body is CF and that statement does not coincide with what development engineers presented at the "bash" April 2018. The car is a great performer but the appearance issues and Chevrolet's lack of concern regarding resolving these issues negates the overall ability of the ZR1 to be considered in the same class of many other ultra- performance vehicles. I really hate to say this because I have been a very loyal customer and proponent for Chevrolet vehicles for fifty years. (Let the hate begin......)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:24 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Oooooo Rob sorry to hear this:/ What is the current status of getting these things addressed ? ☹️
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
He was making a positive comment why do you want to jump on him?

Bill
Not really. It was insulting to the workers to think they pay less attention to their work for different cars at the plant. At least I would certainly be insulted.
The following 3 users liked this post by SouthernSon:
CorvettoBrando (10-22-2018), DebRedZR1 (10-19-2018), Lavender (10-20-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

I am very impressed with the build quality of my ZR1.
DebRedZR1 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:58 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U
I am very impressed with the build quality of my ZR1.
I am too...#574... no imperfections I have been able to find. Oh.. needed to get the little seat belt retention clips from Sandyeggo Designs. I will say the short throw shifter in my Callaway C6 GS is better than the C7 ZR1 7M shifter. Its not just shorter throw, theres more positive engagement. I may get one installed in the ZR1 if I can find someone near me who is qualified to do it right.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:45 AM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone take a breath. No need to be so defensive and emotionally invested.

I was simply making some observations on the ONE representation of the ZR-1 that I’ve seen in person. I have owned a 2008 Z06 that I bought new and have absolutely loved and to my eyeball the panel fit and finish is roughly the same between the two. There is no question that the ZR-1 is the ultimate Corvette. I was just hoping for a little better fit/finish for the price.

Last edited by SublimeZ06; 10-20-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SublimeZ06
Everyone take a breath. No need to be so defensive and emotionally invested.

I was was simply making some observations on the ONE representation of the ZR-1 that I’ve seen in person. I have owned a 2008 Z06 that I bought new and have absolutely loved and to my eyeball the panel fit and finish is roughly the same between the two. There is no question that the ZR-1 is the ultimate Corvette. I was just hoping for a little better fit/finish for the price.
Got some pics to share or are you just the latest C6 troll in this section?
DebRedZR1 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Are you sure you were looking at a ZR1? This FAKE NEWS ZR bashing is beyond juvenile. There is A DRAMATIC difference in paint. I had my pre new paint shop Z next to a new paint shop ZR and easy to tell.
Pictures or another Unicorn ��

Yep it was a ZR1 -- and if you carefully read my post -- I said "This Example" I did not say all were like this. I am sure yours is perfect because you are meticulous and you would not have accepted your car if it was anything less then perfect. I did not take pictures and if I did I am not going to post pictures and call this owner and his car out. Panel fitment on "This example" was not acceptable -- it was like a 1970's era Mopar. if I would have ordered the car I would not have accepted it. But then again - you can look at the misalignment as a charm of the car, and move on. - maybe this one will be worth more in the future because less of them are made with imperfections.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:22 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Not really. It was insulting to the workers to think they pay less attention to their work for different cars at the plant. At least I would certainly be insulted.
Exactly how many took the post ;(

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Yep it was a ZR1 -- and if you carefully read my post -- I said "This Example" I did not say all were like this. I am sure yours is perfect because you are meticulous and you would not have accepted your car if it was anything less then perfect. I did not take pictures and if I did I am not going to post pictures and call this owner and his car out. Panel fitment on "This example" was not acceptable -- it was like a 1970's era Mopar. if I would have ordered the car I would not have accepted it. But then again - you can look at the misalignment as a charm of the car, and move on. - maybe this one will be worth more in the future because less of them are made with imperfections.
Mine and others have had issues that the Dealerships are taking care of but nothing compared to those stated by someone who saw something that someone saw that a friend of someone may have saw but no pictures exist. Sorry the I'm not calling the owner out doesn't cut it. Does said owner have a restraining order on posting pics? Is he/she even going to see them and/or know it's their car? Had a Friend not pointed out the issue with mine I may have never seen it.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Mine and others have had issues that the Dealerships are taking care of but nothing compared to those stated by someone who saw something that someone saw that a friend of someone may have saw but no pictures exist. Sorry the I'm not calling the owner out doesn't cut it. Does said owner have a restraining order on posting pics? Is he/she even going to see them and/or know it's their car? Had a Friend not pointed out the issue with mine I may have never seen it.
you must be a lawyer using words like restraining order.

leave yours alone if you wouldn’t have noticed the imperfections if a friend wouldn’t have pointed it out. Your friend might not be a friend needling you on imperceptible imperfections getting under your skin. You may be asking for more problems in the long run when the dealer starts monkeying with something that’s not that bad. Post some pictures of your problems and get advice from all the experts here on whether or not you should have these problems fixed by the dealer.

get a 1970 superbird big winged car to keep your zr1 company.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-20-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 build quality

Old 10-20-2018, 04:58 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Yep after thinking long and hard about it there's no doubt that the $47,000 1 LT gets the same treatment as the $150,000 ZR on that assembly line.

did they look at it longer afterwards? Who knows?

and the same people looking at the $47,000 stingray are looking at the $150,000 ZR1 probably.

and just like anything else looking at a hundred a day you start to miss stuff because you become overloaded with the sight of it.. used to it.

we've seen the Quality variations of each color and every model by now. It happens. They're not hand inspected to the degree that we wish they would be. Is what it is. And if the car was 5 or 10k everyone would bitch if it were for a longer QC period mi matter what everyone says now..

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-20-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:28 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Yep after thinking long and hard about it there's no doubt that the $47,000 1 LT gets the same treatment as the $150,000 ZR on that assembly line.

did they look at it longer afterwards? Who knows?

and the same people looking at the $47,000 stingray are looking at the $150,000 ZR1 probably.

and just like anything else looking at a hundred a day you start to miss stuff because you become overloaded with the sight of it.. used to it.

we've seen the Quality variations of each color and every model by now. It happens. They're not hand inspected to the degree that we wish they would be. Is what it is. And if the car was 5 or 10k everyone would bitch if it were for a longer QC period mi matter what everyone says now..
exactly correct. Heck I have seen 45k base c level benzes with better quality fit and finish then the top of the line s classes stickering Over 120k., a lot of what you get is luck of the draw and maybe your better off picking through dealer stock and eye balling the best car (which is not easy to do on the more limited zr1 run). You order it and you get what you got.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-20-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:34 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

You are supposed to be a moderator, not an instigator.
You're one of the most divisive people on this forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by vrybad:
Boba Fett (10-22-2018), Kurac (10-23-2018), TARANTULA (10-20-2018)

Quick Reply: ZR1 build quality