C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Modifying new ZR1 if it’s a 1 year only model

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:03 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Default Modifying new ZR1 if it’s a 1 year only model

I absolutely love the new zr1. I have a 10 zr1 now that is heavily modified and that I plan on selling to pick up a new one. However, I don’t plan on leaving it stock and that is where my concern is. Tuning aside if this car is only made for one year are manufacturers going to skip on making performance parts for them since it is such a limited audience? If this is the case it honestly would deter me from purchasing. I’m curious to hear thoughts on this. Those that question why I would need more power need not reply.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ss2z06
I absolutely love the new zr1. I have a 10 zr1 now that is heavily modified and that I plan on selling to pick up a new one. However, I don’t plan on leaving it stock and that is where my concern is. Tuning aside if this car is only made for one year are manufacturers going to skip on making performance parts for them since it is such a limited audience? If this is the case it honestly would deter me from purchasing. I’m curious to hear thoughts on this. Those that question why I would need more power need not reply.
From what I last heard, there is a 3 year production plan for these. 1 year's ROI from GM wouldn't make sense, plus they're apparently carrying over the C7 till 2021 while the C8 starts to bridge the gap with the front engine purists. We'll see whether that's legit or not though. Quite frankly, I'd have rather seen a Zora halo car on the Ford GT level and kept the Corvette as is as well in a Grand Touring type like the FE Ferraris for example. But, Chevy can always be the hero reviving the front engine Corvette down the road too.

That being said, the LT5 has the same basic architecture as the LT4 as it is, with the exception of factory port injection (a good thing) and the LT5 supercharger. So, we already make pulleys, intake, heat exchangers in the works, etc from our signature line and beyond that, most of the Z06 parts will work once tuning is gained as well. We already have 3 camshaft designs for these cars, dimple ported cylinder head ports for the port injection, so once HP Tuners hacks the E99, I have no doubt this car will make 1000whp with E85, pulleys, heads/cams etc. I'm already at 800whp as it is now with our X950 package and this is on a dyno that reads 650whp where a recent Hennessey #800 car came in with a 699whp dyno sheet

The following users liked this post:
WzUpDoc (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 05:20 PM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
From what I last heard, there is a 3 year production plan for these. 1 year's ROI from GM wouldn't make sense, plus they're apparently carrying over the C7 till 2021 while the C8 starts to bridge the gap with the front engine purists. We'll see whether that's legit or not though. Quite frankly, I'd have rather seen a Zora halo car on the Ford GT level and kept the Corvette as is as well in a Grand Touring type like the FE Ferraris for example. But, Chevy can always be the hero reviving the front engine Corvette down the road too.

That being said, the LT5 has the same basic architecture as the LT4 as it is, with the exception of factory port injection (a good thing) and the LT5 supercharger. So, we already make pulleys, intake, heat exchangers in the works, etc from our signature line and beyond that, most of the Z06 parts will work once tuning is gained as well. We already have 3 camshaft designs for these cars, dimple ported cylinder head ports for the port injection, so once HP Tuners hacks the E99, I have no doubt this car will make 1000whp with E85, pulleys, heads/cams etc. I'm already at 800whp as it is now with our X950 package and this is on a dyno that reads 650whp where a recent Hennessey #800 car came in with a 699whp dyno sheet

Ben, I understand the ECM on the ZR1 is the same as the ECM on other GM products and they can not crack into those after a year or so of trying. Have you been told they are close or is close still years or months away?
Old 10-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by kutlow
Ben, I understand the ECM on the ZR1 is the same as the ECM on other GM products and they can not crack into those after a year or so of trying. Have you been told they are close or is close still years or months away?
They have cracked into the LP5 truck PCM now for late model GM trucks, but they said the E99 is completely different. I do know they are actively working on it though, so while I cannot say how long, I would expect something by spring I hope! Having had a C8 reserved for 4 years now, I am hoping sooner than later as I had planned on the ZR1 being a short term project car. I've been back and fourth as to whether to sell it before winter here since it will be in the garage for the next 5 months unless it's at the shop for R&D.
WzUpDoc (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:54 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Thank you for chiming in. I really hoped you would. You seem to be the most interested vendor when it comes to this car. It’s definitely reassuring. I figured 1000rwhp would be very doable on these. Hopefully by the time I get one the ecm is cracked!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:04 PM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

They have cracked into the LP5 truck PCM now for late model GM trucks, but they said the E99 is completely different. I do know they are actively working on it though, so while I cannot say how long, I would expect something by spring I hope! Having had a C8 reserved for 4 years now, I am hoping sooner than later as I had planned on the ZR1 being a short term project car. I've been back and fourth as to whether to sell it before winter here since it will be in the garage for the next 5 months unless it's at the shop for R&D.
totally agree. I have a home in Charleston Wv. Winters are brutal with cold ,ice and road salt
Ben@WeaponX (10-21-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2z06
It will be a one year car, but I am still sending mine to Ben.

Get notified of new replies

To Modifying new ZR1 if it’s a 1 year only model

Quick Reply: Modifying new ZR1 if it’s a 1 year only model