C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How will C7 ZR1 be affected by the C8?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:04 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

What many of you are discounting is how the new car will be so different than the old one. Let me elaborate.

You guys have been taking the intoxicating pushrod engine and the noise it makes for granted. The sound this car makes is out of this world. Many people when they hear a twin turbo v8 are amazed how bad a turbo charged v8 sounds. Best way to explain it is imagine someone who just lost his/her voice due to common cold and that person is trying to sing. Its horrible.

I can imagine many, many, MANY, hard core corvette owners will stick to these C7 cars.

Also, coming back from one of the most advanced twin turbo v8s with a lot of tech (the new M5s) with built in pretensioners to build up boost in any rpm, I can tell you I hated how artificial turbo charged engines build up power. It is extremely unnatural. First, there is always lag. Its scientifically not possible even if you pretension the turbos. Second, the turbo results in a very steep and flat torque curve that hits a wall towards the end of the rpm range. Wait till you drive one.

For all its faults, I love how the character of this car is. The sound, the engine power band, the transmission, differential, they are all so well put together. I doubt the new car will be able to communicate with my soul like this car does.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:18 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
What many of you are discounting is how the new car will be so different than the old one. Let me elaborate.

You guys have been taking the intoxicating pushrod engine and the noise it makes for granted. The sound this car makes is out of this world. Many people when they hear a twin turbo v8 are amazed how bad a turbo charged v8 sounds. Best way to explain it is imagine someone who just lost his/her voice due to common cold and that person is trying to sing. Its horrible.

I can imagine many, many, MANY, hard core corvette owners will stick to these C7 cars.

Also, coming back from one of the most advanced twin turbo v8s with a lot of tech (the new M5s) with built in pretensioners to build up boost in any rpm, I can tell you I hated how artificial turbo charged engines build up power. It is extremely unnatural. First, there is always lag. Its scientifically not possible even if you pretension the turbos. Second, the turbo results in a very steep and flat torque curve that hits a wall towards the end of the rpm range. Wait till you drive one.

For all its faults, I love how the character of this car is. The sound, the engine power band, the transmission, differential, they are all so well put together. I doubt the new car will be able to communicate with my soul like this car does.
Good to hear that you like your car now.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
DebRedZR1 (04-09-2019), duanesZ06 (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:24 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by punky
Good to hear that you like your car now.
I have always stated that if I got a car without these issues, I would never sell this car. The core of the car, driveterrain, is out of this world. The noise, the power, the handling is amazing. I have never said anything to the contrary. My issues have always been with the build quality and fit and finish.

For example I have the opposite problem with BMW M cars of late. I have owned all kinds of variants. They have amazing build quality but they suck at sheer emotional connection. All the areas Corvette is simply amazing at.

I would not have bought this car if I didnt want it. Nobody put a gun to my head. I drove many Z06s at length so i had a pretty good idea what to expect driving experience wise (only better obviously).

Maybe they will fix my issues and make it right and I will be so happy with this car that I will keep it for 10 years.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:52 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,194 Posts

I have always stated that if I got a car without these issues, I would never sell this car. The core of the car, driveterrain, is out of this world. The noise, the power, the handling is amazing. I have never said anything to the contrary. My issues have always been with the build quality and fit and finish.

For example I have the opposite problem with BMW M cars of late. I have owned all kinds of variants. They have amazing build quality but they suck at sheer emotional connection. All the areas Corvette is simply amazing at.

I would not have bought this car if I didnt want it. Nobody put a gun to my head. I drove many Z06s at length so i had a pretty good idea what to expect driving experience wise (only better obviously).

Maybe they will fix my issues and make it right and I will be so happy with this car that I will keep it for 10 years.
Are you saying the Z06 build quality is better than the ZR1's? Or you just expected much better build quality on the ZR1? If you think the build quality is bad on (only) your ZR1, why not get a good one? You said you like the car itself. If you have real issues with the car, I'm sure you could lemon law it or have GM offer you another one (without loss of money). I think you just nit-picking on minor imperfections. Most likely no one would even notice the things you mentioned. If I scrutinized my AMG's as much as you do your ZR1, I could give you a list of "inexcusable" problems as well. I think you should appreciate the car for what it is, not what it is not. If you have a 1/32" gap between the front bumper cover and the fender, how is that affect the esthetics or functionality of the car? Same thing with the up and down "play" on the steering columns. Does it create a sloppy steering effect? Comparing the C7 ZR1 against the C6 ZR1 build quality I see major improvements.

Last edited by range96; 04-09-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by range96
Are you saying the Z06 build quality is better than the ZR1's? Or you just expected much better build quality on the ZR1? If you think the build quality is bad on (only) your ZR1, why not get a good one? You said you like the car itself. If you have real issues with the car, I'm sure you could lemon law it or have GM offer you another one (without loss of money). I think you just nit-picking on minor imperfections. Most likely no one would even notice the things you mentioned. If I scrutinized my AMG's as much as you do your ZR1, I could give you a list of "inexcusable" problems as well. I think you should appreciate the car for what it is, not what it is not. If you have a 1/32" gap between the front bumper cover and the fender, how is that affect the esthetics or functionality of the car? Same thing with the up and down "play" on the steering columns. Does it create a sloppy steering effect? Comparing the C7 ZR1 against the C6 ZR1 build quality I see major improvements.
I have not seen a Z06 with as many issues as my car. No corvette I have seen has as bad panel alignment inside and outside.

My dashboard is not aligned with the door by as much as 3/4”. And this misalignment is not on the door’s side which is easier to fix, its on the dashboard. The alcantra on my dashboard is also sticking out all the way to the air vent. The trim piece below the climate control buttons has a gap of 3/8” between itself and the right most dashboard piece.

My front bumper is so badly misaligned, you can even tell it standing from 6’ away. The gap around the headlight is flush in some places, and there is 3/8” gap in other. The outer most tips of the front bumper sticks out (i.e as if they are curved up).

The roof creaks and incredible amount. Roof also leaks (could be related).

The loose steering column is something I feel every time I turn with the vehicle in a somewhat sporty fashion. If i use the telescope feature of the steering column, the more I extend the, the worse it gets. At 50% extension, it is more than twice loose. It is so bad that when driving the car and car goes over bumps, you can see the column move (when extended).

The rear bumper and rear quarter panels and rockers are all off alignment. If you look at the wing mount holes of the bumper. One side the mount has less than 1/8” gap, on other side there is almost 1” of gap. So bumper is way off alignment.

There are even more problems. I am not “nit picking” these are all very obvious problems.

If they can find me a car without these issues, I ll take it. But then I m out $6500 on xpel which I would have to redo again. I am not doing that on my own dime.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:06 PM
vetteheadracer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

New C8 is a going to be a replacement to the equivalent C7 Stingray.

Some will rush out and buy one because it is "new" but the smart people will wait until GM bring out the Z06 version probably a year later and then possibly a Grand Sport version after that and then a ZR1 version which might beat the horsepower of the current C7 ZR1 in about 2022.

I would be at least 3 years older by that time or possibly dead so no I don't think it would affect my decision to purchase a C7 ZR1 if I was thinking of buying one.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (04-12-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:19 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

I would run to your nearest dealer with a performance turbo v8 engine and drive a car before even entertaining this C8 idea. The engine dynamics will be totally different.

Watch mclaren 720s videos in fact even mclaren senna videos. The car sounds terrible. You hardcore corvette fans will go nuts with that engine.

The only thing good about turbo charging is weight reduction and also tuning potential. No more pulley swaps. No more massive engines with big superchargers on top. But its not my cup of tea.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

I have not seen a Z06 with as many issues as my car. No corvette I have seen has as bad panel alignment inside and outside.

My dashboard is not aligned with the door by as much as 3/4”. And this misalignment is not on the door’s side which is easier to fix, its on the dashboard. The alcantra on my dashboard is also sticking out all the way to the air vent. The trim piece below the climate control buttons has a gap of 3/8” between itself and the right most dashboard piece.

My front bumper is so badly misaligned, you can even tell it standing from 6’ away. The gap around the headlight is flush in some places, and there is 3/8” gap in other. The outer most tips of the front bumper sticks out (i.e as if they are curved up).

The roof creaks and incredible amount. Roof also leaks (could be related).

The loose steering column is something I feel every time I turn with the vehicle in a somewhat sporty fashion. If i use the telescope feature of the steering column, the more I extend the, the worse it gets. At 50% extension, it is more than twice loose. It is so bad that when driving the car and car goes over bumps, you can see the column move (when extended).

The rear bumper and rear quarter panels and rockers are all off alignment. If you look at the wing mount holes of the bumper. One side the mount has less than 1/8” gap, on other side there is almost 1” of gap. So bumper is way off alignment.

There are even more problems. I am not “nit picking” these are all very obvious problems.

If they can find me a car without these issues, I ll take it. But then I m out $6500 on xpel which I would have to redo again. I am not doing that on my own dime.
Your best approach to your predicament is to work out a deal with GM for a replacement car. The xpel cost you'll have to eat...
Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

No one really knows how GM will obtain the 1,000 HP we anticipate. So before some of you start doging the ZR1 C8 or whatever it will be called. Lets give GM a chance to finish what they have begun. They have done great things with Corvette. I do not believe they will disappoint, it's still the best sports car for the money and to me the ZR1 is quite special.
serpent (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
No one really knows how GM will obtain the 1,000 HP we anticipate. So before some of you start doging the ZR1 C8 or whatever it will be called. Lets give GM a chance to finish what they have begun. They have done great things with Corvette. I do not believe they will disappoint, it's still the best sports car for the money and to me the ZR1 is quite special.
Every ZR1 is special for sure. Comparing this to a regular C8 is pointless. GM will purposely limit the C8. They will try to make it sound like it is the next best thing, but it will not hold a candle to the ZR1. ZR1 performance numbers wont happen until we see a C8 Z06.
duanesZ06 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 PM
MarkP
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
Every ZR1 is special for sure. Comparing this to a regular C8 is pointless. GM will purposely limit the C8.
Incorrect.

Like they have done with previous generations, GM will start off with a base model, and possibly a Z51 ride and handling package. Then roll out a Z06 / Grand Sport the following year, and then an ultra-high performance version down the road. This isn't "purposely limiting the C8". There is a method behind the madness for gradually rolling out various models over the years and just about every automotive manufacturer follows this same pattern of introduction.

They will try to make it sound like it is the next best thing, but it will not hold a candle to the ZR1.
And you know this how?

If you're comparing the first year of the C8 to the ZR1, and all you care about is bragging rights in terms of who has the bigger set of ***** under the hood, then yeah, chances are, the mid-engine won't compare to the ZR1 as it relates to horsepower and torque. However, don't be surprised, if the first year C8 Corvette will be able to out-handle and out-brake the ZR1.

Unless you're part of the Corvette Development Team and have first-hand access to all of their data for the C8, you're in no position to make blanket statements like this.

ZR1 performance numbers wont happen until we see a C8 Z06.
Huh?

Last edited by MarkP; 04-10-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Hib Halverson
Safety Car
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
I like your enthusiasm and understand where it's coming from, but no way, no how a 700 ci, 1050hp NA V8 will be offered in the C8. Other than that, I think you're spot on...
Apparently you did not detect my humor.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:25 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Would be nice to see a Halo car like the "Zora" in extremely limited numbers and then a lightweight, mid-engined base C8 with 500 NA HP on a car that weighs a tick over 3,000 pounds with a DCT and M7 option. Z06 to follow a year later and then a ZR1 model a couple years after that.
serpent (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:31 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Apparently you did not detect my humor.
I knew you wouldn't be serious after a few beers! I was just agreeing with you. Eventually, GM will reach that 1,000 hp level with the hybrid version, weighing 3,800 lb.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:35 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

The only way to make money is the car game is volume. I firmly believe C7 and C8 will not co-exist for long if at all. It simply does not make financial sense.

Before I bought my Z06 I paid full pop to do the Spring Mountain School. I came away with two conclusions. 1.) The Z06's performance threshold on the track was incredible, very impressive. 2.) There is no sane way to approach the performance threshold on the street.

A turbo version is just a rumor, I wouldn't dwell on it. I do agree that a turbo just does not sound good. I don't think there has to be lag, technology has gotten around a lot of that. BUT it does not have the down low torque of the supercharged V8's, the torque is nuts.
I am interested in the C8, the talk of it actually drew me into a C7.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

take 30 grand in cash... and light it on fire. You get to keep the rest. That's how its resale value going to be affected

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-12-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
take 30 grand in cash... and light it on fire. You get to keep the rest. That's how its resale value going to be affected
Based on what period of time?

Get notified of new replies

To How will C7 ZR1 be affected by the C8?

Old 04-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

I would say by next June. And I dont say if because of the performance, i say it because of the looks of the c8... i believe we are highly fooled on what the rear area of the car looks like. Perhaps im wrong, but there is potential this thing could look amazing.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM
2500 hd
Race Director

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I would say by next June. And I dont say if because of the performance, i say it because of the looks of the c8... i believe we are highly fooled on what the rear area of the car looks like. Perhaps im wrong, but there is potential this thing could look amazing.
I hope you are right, because the way it looks now with all the wrapping , I don't think it look's that good.
Mikec7z (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,732 Likes on 873 Posts

pretty much, but you always have the option to keep your money in the bank and die a rich man.
Mikec7z (04-12-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How will C7 ZR1 be affected by the C8?