C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Closing Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:29 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

The new 911 difference seems to be in the GT3 it is an 'Always On' (Active Handling) chassis intervention.

And in the RS's it is just 'Always On!' plus $4000 worth of one lap tires!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-06-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:48 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Heavy, how about? ;)

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Thats more like it......

Because no one outside of GM employees or owners who drank the kool-aid are that sold on PTM. I've mentioned I don't trust any manufacturers claims until really and independently proven in real life. I took me less than half a lap at Road Atlanta to not like PTM. Just the simple fact that it makes drivers worse by teaching them to completely abandon proper driving technique and lean on TC is enough for me not to like it. I don't like DCT, autos or rear wheel steer either. That's just me, I'm old school and believe in driver development over vehicle development. The latter has taken over in recent years, even in pro racing. I hardy watch any of it, because guys in suits decide who wins, no the best drivers.

Back to PTM, there is no arguing that it teaches improper muscle memory. Just turn and floor it and let PTM sort it out is a crash in most any other car (including Porsche whom you inaccurately want to compare drivers aids) . If GM wants to sacrifice all of its owners driving skill for track cred, then I don't support that. Never will. And outside of GM's clearly paid for tests, there is no proof it's actually faster.

​​
A C7 Corvette FME has better corner entry (Gs), and a 911 RE has better corner exit, but, they both need help...C8...RSR...chassis!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:21 PM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
With a spotting car up ahead we were allowed to slide the cars through the turns. Many things I was able to do I felt I would have put my Callaway into a wall or off a cliff.
These are the things you can't quantify on a stat sheet which most yokels won't understand.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:29 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
And thanks Heavy for bringing up the 911. The Ring first ground breaking run was in the GT3 as a PDK and auto trail braking PTV-Plus:
Do I really need to explain to you the difference between PTM and PTV? Not even remotely the same concept. Yes, all nannies, all cars now are ridden with them. But not the same at all.

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-06-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:17 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Okay, you can fill in some things! ;)

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Do I really need to explain to you the difference between PTM and PTV? Not even remotely the same concept. Yes, all nannies, all cars now are ridden with them. But not the same at all.
First of all, I think they both have to do with an always on locking differential, which locks on the straights.
The RS Porsche's at a minimum use brakes at corner entry.
The Vette's just tap on the diff. all the way through, and apply T/C (Tire Calibration) exiting in 'Race Mode' to minimize wheel spin.

What am I missing Heavy?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-07-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Don't we already have enough threads debating the ZR1 vs GT2RS and PTM vs other nannies?
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
CorvettoBrando (11-06-2018), jvp (11-06-2018), Lavender (11-08-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:05 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Excuse us Poor-sha! ;)

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Don't we already have enough threads debating the ZR1 vs GT2RS and PTM vs other nannies?
We still haven't really seen this clearly succeed. Arguably Car and Driver, but, that's not PDR, Clear.
This was supposed to be about a counterpart VID like yours here!
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:10 PM
wdwinder
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '24

I was watching the friction circle. Pretty impressive, especially under braking
Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wdwinder
I was watching the friction circle. Pretty impressive, especially under braking
Yeah, I was looking at some data yesterday and was seeing 1.45G under braking in to T1. Crazy.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:04 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Damn good driver you are!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:22 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
First of all, I think they both have to do with an always on locking differential, which locks on the straights.
The RS Porsche's at a minimum uses brakes at corner entry.
The Vette's just tap on the diff. all the way through, and applies T/C (Tire Calibration) exiting in 'Race Mode' to minimize wheel spin.

What am I missing Heavy?
Who cares about diffs locking? That can be done mechanically. It's called an Lsd. The Porsche uses ptv in front to help rotate the car and cover for the inherent to 911 understeer mid corner. Same for RWS. These are handling aids. They are not there to keep you from crashing or auto pilot you through the corner. They may nullify your ability to trail brake some but they won't set you up to crash when you drive a car without them.

You are using marketing fluff to describe PTM, don't beat around the bush.

I'll tell you what. Go floor a PTM enabled Corvette through the corner and let the motor cut throttle all the way through to keep you on track and then go floor a PTV/RWS GT2RS through a corner and you can bet you behind the outcome will be completely different. PTM is more comparable to PSM than PTV anyways. You can't spin it any other way.

That being said, let Sean have his thread back. No that you are typing in English, I'll answer your posts, just take it elsewhere.

​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
CorvettoBrando (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:43 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

You are moving along well poorsha...

how much time have you shaved off your best time from, say, 2 months ago?

also, see if you can complain to Tadge that the G Meter needs to read higher on the circle. It is frustrating not being able to see in real time video the real G's the cars are pulling. Chevy should offer a software update to take it to 1.5 g circle/readout for those who can actually drive.

Last edited by RoxyCarter; 11-07-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:21 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by RoxyCarter

also, see if you can complain to Tadge that the G Meter needs to read higher on the circle. It is frustrating not being able to see in real time video the real G's the cars are pulling. Chevy should offer a software update to take it to 1.5 g circle/readout for those who can actually drive.
... and fix the PDR quality problem.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RoxyCarter

My repeated best is a 1:55.9 in traffic and theoretical best is a mid 1:54 at VIR. So it's looking like the ZR1 is easily 3s a lap faster than the Z06. Unfortunately, I didn't really get a chance for a flyer in cool weather to compare apples to apples.

The friction circle doesn't bother me because I just load everything up in Pi Toolbox and look at the data.

Originally Posted by range96
... and fix the PDR quality problem.
I know that's been escalated to Cosworth and I've sent them some data files. No news so far though.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:28 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Why steel

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
AP Racing Radi-Cal endurance kit with 372mm rotors front and their rear kit as well.
u may have addressed this before but i thought that the carbon brakes were a great advantage over steel? I’m using the stoptech st60/40 setup on my c6z w/SRF fluid and feel like the carbon c7z is significantly outbraking me. Did u switch cause of $ savings? Sorry if this is a repeat question for u.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by urslooow
u may have addressed this before but i thought that the carbon brakes were a great advantage over steel? I’m using the stoptech st60/40 setup on my c6z w/SRF fluid and feel like the carbon c7z is significantly outbraking me. Did u switch cause of $ savings? Sorry if this is a repeat question for u.
Consumable costs and better pedal feel.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Great driving as usual Sean.

Man the speed you are carrying now into T14 is astounding. I liked on that last lap where you pushed it a bit harder and bobbled the line a bit on the entry because you came in hotter and were right at threshold braking from what I could tell. Not a criticism; it's what happens when we push ourselves and you clearly were.

The best I've managed in that section is 161, and I bobbled that time as well.

Looks like my skid marks are still there in T5b as well as a few new ones...
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (11-12-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Scarpia
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely done Poor-sha; thanks for sharing. Smooth is Fast...
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Scarpia
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Rico; as with Poor-sha, smooth, superb driving.

Quick Reply: Closing Speeds