C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

GT2RS vs. ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:30 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
I won't. BTW, there is another Z06 video showing a GT2RS in difficulty...but for now I'll simply refer to them as real world. Like stated, let's see if more of these real world videos show up and then catch up...
The video of the miata passing the ZR1 is also real world. No amount of twisting this is gonna result in the ZR1 being considered faster or the Z06 competitive.

I started to post this yesterday but post got too long. For the real world (and I mean drivers, not forums). Get a coach, learn to really analyze data, practice proper driving fundamentals and get lots of track time. Do all of the above and do driving at a DE, a ZR1 will be mostly frustrating overkill. You don't need that much car to dominate most DE's. Go out there with your magazines tucked into your center console telling you how fast the car is and you'll get passed by everything from BMW's to Mustangs to miatas.

DE is almost ALWAYS about the driver. Very rarely do equally matched drivers meet up in equally matched cars.
The following users liked this post:
Boba Fett (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Now you are talking!

Too bad I was talking cars and not racers.

Car x passes Car y = Driver x better Driver y
Car x passes Car y = Car x better Car y
Car x passes Car y = Car x better than Driver y better
Car x passes Car y = Car x worse than driver y worse

And on and on..

So back to the video. You attribute the GT2RS lackluster on the poor driving. How do you discern (in this video) driver limitation from car limitation?
Old 11-18-2018, 03:07 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Now you are talking!

Too bad I was talking cars and not racers.

Car x passes Car y = Driver x better Driver y
Car x passes Car y = Car x better Car y
Car x passes Car y = Car x better than Driver y better
Car x passes Car y = Car x worse than driver y worse

And on and on..

So back to the video. You attribute the GT2RS lackluster on the poor driving. How do you discern (in this video) driver limitation from car limitation?
Braking, corner entry, apex, throttle application. After studying data and video for years you can see when someone drives a better line. It's even easier when a car is behind them driving a better line with a video camera on them. The GT2 had significantly less grip. The Vette was on better or fresher tires no doubt. The GT2 missed lots of apexes and drove a DE line. The Z was driving a race line, which is far smoother (and faster) . "smooth is fast" is what most people say. That was the biggest difference.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for the explanation. The other video with Z06 chasing GT2RS same thing.. Z06 on GT2RS butt and grip goes..but of course without video right now is speculation..not going there.
At one point it is less grip due to tires vs less grip due to inherent car limitation....for another time..

Again, thank you.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't get why people simply refuse to believe a Z06/ZR1 is just as capable as an uber expensive/exclusive GT2 RS. The other video posted here by the German Magazine Auto Bild shows how a properly driven Z07 is only 1 second off a GT2 RS.

Hell, we all know what the $120k Viper ACR did with respect to destroying laptimes set by +$1M Hypercars.

GT2 RS is good for what it is but at +$450K, it's mechanical prowess is one where most folks would never exploit in light of its value.

The problem here is Chevy has never been able to take the C7's out in anger at the ring due to the fact that Pratt and Miller's GTLM drivers are not allowed to develop the car. The Vettes are driven and developed by GM test engineers not their race car drivers. The only time GTLM drivers are even allowed to drive the cars are during press junkets.

Porsche on the other hand have their young FIA/WEC/GTLM drivers take the wheel and light up the track setting insane lap times which translates to great marketing and bragging rights.

I agree that all manufacturers have some great cars. We live in a great time for folks with money to buy one of these toys. As for me, I firmly believe I will become a better and faster driver over time in a Z06/ZR1 because I don't have the need to be precious with it. Doesn't take a lot of commitment to get these toys fast.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 11-18-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:03 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
I don't get why people simply refuse to believe a Z06/ZR1 is just as capable as an uber expensive/exclusive GT2 RS. The other video posted here by the German Magazine Auto Bild shows how a properly driven Z07 is only 1 second off a GT2 RS.

Hell, we all know what the $120k Viper ACR did with respect to destroying laptimes set by +$1M Hypercars.

GT2 RS is good for what it is but at +$450K, it's mechanical prowess is one where most folks would never exploit in light of its value.

The problem here is Chevy has never been able to take the C7's out in anger at the ring due to the fact that Pratt and Miller's GTLM drivers are not allowed to develop the car. The Vettes are driven and developed by GM test engineers not their race car drivers. The only time GTLM drivers are even allowed to drive the cars are during press junkets.

Porsche on the other hand have their young FIA/WEC/GTLM drivers take the wheel and light up the track setting insane lap times which translates to great marketing and bragging rights.

I agree that all manufacturers have some great cars. We live in a great time for folks with money to buy one of these toys. As for me, I firmly believe I will become a better and faster driver over time in a Z06/ZR1 because I don't have the need to be precious with it. Doesn't take a lot of commitment to get these toys fast.
Well first, a Z06 isn't as capable as a ZR1, so don't group them together. Secondly the GT2 RS and ZR1 are close enough where the better driver will pull away. To keep up in Z06, you have to be significantly better as a driver and/or have better tires, as we saw in that video. You quote one mag test where it's still slower, which would amount to a lot of gap over a whole session. But what about when we have other tracks where the GT2 RS is upwards of 4 seconds faster?

I agree that GM hasn't gotten the most out of the Z06/ZR1 at the ring. But that doesn't mean it would pick up the dozens of seconds of gap. Mero is no regular DE driver. He's not that far off an optimal time.

You act like Z06's and ZR1's are cheap. Lol. Hardly. Better have track insurance for any of them. Plenty of C7 drivers light footing it for fear of a crash as well. That won't make you a better driver.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:21 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1

Well, if becoming a better and faster driver is the goal, consider starting with a lesser car where you actually have to be a good driver to get decent results.
Arguing that the ZR1 is better because it's less expensive is kind of silly considering the GS is even less expensive and an old C4 is downright cheap while there are plenty of Porsches that are less expensive than a ZR1. The better argument would be that the ZR1 is the car you want to drive and that's just it.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:39 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Out of curiosity, how many GT2RS's is selling/year here in the USA?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:56 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Out of curiosity, how many GT2RS's is selling/year here in the USA?
I don't know exact numbers, but I think they're bigger than people realize. I've seen several in Dallas.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by dsevo
I don't know exact numbers, but I think they're bigger than people realize. I've seen several in Dallas.

How many 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS will be made?

The big news from Germany is that Porscheis only building 1,000 examples of the new 911 GT2 RS, according to an article by AutoBild. If your air-cooled cruiser needs a rebuild, maybe its time to update your collection. However, every example has been spoken for, and they will arrive with 700 horsepower and 553 lb-ft of torque. Launch mode in the PDK transmission will have you at 100 kph (62 mph) in 2.9 seconds, but it’s the only transmission offered. Making use of carbon fiber body panels and limited insulation, a curb weight of 3,300 lbs is light for any twin-turbo car. Those who opt for the Weissach package will save an additional 44 lbs thanks to titanium and magnesium goodies.
Source: DuPont Registry

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 12-02-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:27 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

How many 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS will be made?

The big news from Germany is that Porscheis only building 1,000 examples of the new 911 GT2 RS, according to an article by AutoBild. If your air-cooled cruiser needs a rebuild, maybe its time to update your collection. However, every example has been spoken for, and they will arrive with 700 horsepower and 553 lb-ft of torque. Launch mode in the PDK transmission will have you at 100 kph (62 mph) in 2.9 seconds, but it’s the only transmission offered. Making use of carbon fiber body panels and limited insulation, a curb weight of 3,300 lbs is light for any twin-turbo car. Those who opt for the Weissach package will save an additional 44 lbs thanks to titanium and magnesium goodies.
Source: DuPont Registry
That's an old article and the numbers do not jive with the consensus at Rennlist or the number of allocations the dealers I've visited have had. I'd be willing to bet worldwide production is well over 2k. But even 1,000 isn't all that rare.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:32 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Now Porsche has released the GT2 RS clubsport which is the real track version of the car. Only just over 3000 lbs.

Only 478k :/
Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by dsevo
That's an old article and the numbers do not jive with the consensus at Rennlist or the number of allocations the dealers I've visited have had. I'd be willing to bet worldwide production is well over 2k. But even 1,000 isn't all that rare.
I was concerned about the “age” of the article. Thanks for the added info. Wouldnt it be a hoot if it turned out more RS2’s are built than ZR1’s? If the RS2 ends up getting built for several years while the ZR1 turned out to a one year car, its more than just possible....
Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If Porsche is selling 1000-ish GT3s a year (see rennlist) in the USA and with historical RS rates well below the ten percent how in the world is the 1000 GT2RS already sold out extrapolated?

Fake News?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

If Porsche is selling 1000-ish GT3s a year (see rennlist) in the USA and with historical RS rates well below the ten percent how in the world is the 1000 GT2RS already sold out extrapolated?

Fake News?
Blame duPont Registry..
Old 12-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

AutoBild...
Old 12-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Here's the latest GT production car stats from Rennlist:

991.1 GT production was ~11,300.
It is expected 991.2 Worldwide GT production will be ~17k with ~6,250 being destined for N.A.
Current estimates assume production through March.

First Category Total / 2nd Category NA cars

Speedster - 1948 / 650
GT2RS - 2750 / 1000
GT3RS - 3950 / 1500
Base GT3 - 8350 / 3100[

Best Regards,
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To GT2RS vs. ZR1

Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Here's the latest GT production car stats from Rennlist:

991.1 GT production was ~11,300.
It is expected 991.2 Worldwide GT production will be ~17k with ~6,250 being destined for N.A.
Current estimates assume production through March.

First Category Total / 2nd Category NA cars

Speedster - 1948 / 650
GT2RS - 2750 / 1000
GT3RS - 3950 / 1500
Base GT3 - 8350 / 3100[

Best Regards,
Dave
so if we consider global production on the GT2 RS vs C7 ZR1, it could be a near certainty there will be more GT2’s than ZR1 if the later is a one year car. That is really a shocker IMO...
Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

The difference between GM and Porsche is that Porsche actually puts a cap on production numbers ie 1000 for NA but GM just builds whatever they can and hence makes the car feel less special (marketing speaking). Porsche's marketing is just genius!! I wonder what would the ZR1's sell for if GM came out from the beginning saying only 1000 units for 2019 model?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:32 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

so if we consider global production on the GT2 RS vs C7 ZR1, it could be a near certainty there will be more GT2’s than ZR1 if the later is a one year car. That is really a shocker IMO...
Are you saying your are shocked? That one I believe...

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs. ZR1