Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Registering my out-of-state ZR1 in California

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Registering my out-of-state ZR1 in California

Old 12-29-2018, 12:39 AM
SoCalC7
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
I use a private company that handles all the DMV dealings and file all paperwork and are electrically tied into DMV so they can issue registrations, etc. They know the laws, rules and have a specific people that they deal with at DMV so the answers are always the same.
interesting. What should I google to ensure I find a service in OC that does this?

Last edited by SoCalC7; 12-29-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:33 PM
TrackAire
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoCalC7 View Post

interesting. What should I google to ensure I find a service in OC that does this?
The company I've used for years out of Sacramento is All Vehicle Registration Services......I can't vouch for the companies on the list I'm posting below but you can see there are a lot in your area:
https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=reg...e+County%2C+CA

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2019, 02:00 AM
RacerX632

Excellent summary of the actions required. I recently went through the same thing.....Mine came in from Michigan. After being frustrated and failing the Smog Test as you described, I took an early morning drive toward San Diego, crossed the 500 mile threshold and successfully passed smog.....
The Following User Says Thank You to RacerX632 For This Useful Post:
cartester (01-02-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM
blackvetterzo6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cartester View Post
I finally was able to register my new Corvette ZR1 in California today after buying it from out of state. The reasons for buying it out of state were compelling. California dealers didn't seem to have very many allocations nor were they willing to sell at MSRP. For the ZR1 the dealer markups I saw ranged up to $25,000.

Having decided to buy out of state the preferred delivery method would have been to do an in-state courtesy delivery. These are usually available for $500 to $1,000 and allow you to take delivery from a California dealer who will register the car for you as part of the delivery process. That is far and away the best way to go. However, my selling dealer, MacMulkin Chevrolet in New Hampshire, advised me that for this particular car with the complexity of carbon fiber parts arriving separately from the car and requiring dealer installation that my experience would be better having the car shipped directly to me from New Hampshire using a company like Interstate Auto Transport. The fee for the transport was just over $2,000 for a ZR1 coming all the way from New Hampshire to Los Angeles.

I did not try to set up a local courtesy delivery but read on the Corvette forum that many California dealers would not agree to cooperate for the ZR1 perhaps to preserve their relationships with those customers who did pay the dealer markup. It occurs to me that there may also be liability issues with any potential mishaps or issues with the car as received by the in-state dealer but sold by another out-of-state dealer which may lead California dealers to deny this service.

Registering a new out-of-state car in California yourself means jumping through a number of bureaucratic hoops. California dealers are exempt from many of these requirements.

First, you have only 20 days to register the car after it touches down in the State. Since no car can be driven on the public streets without some kind of registration, MacMulkin provided me with a temporary New Hampshire tag good for about three weeks which at least let me legally drive the car upon receiving it. If you need more time, which I did, you can get a temporary California tag good for about a month as long as you pay the California registration and license fees that amount to something over 9% of the sales price of the car. Show your out-of-state temporary tag at the DMV to get this California tag. Simply paying the fees is not enough to allow you to register the car, you must ask for the temporary tag. The registration fees you paid should include this temporary tag.

By the way, the Auto Club (AAA) will be completely useless to you during this process. They do not process registrations of new cars coming into California. California considers any car less than 2 years old or having fewer than 7,500 miles to be a new car.

Here is what you need to register a new out-of-state car in California:

1. Fill out a registration application (REG 343) form
2. Pay the registration fees
3. Provide the original certificate of title (Manufacturers Statement of Origin, MSO) signed by the selling dealer over to you.
4. Provide a Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form filled out by an authorized vehicle inspector (usually a DMV employee)
5. Show proof of insurance
6. Provide a smog certificate

Item 1 can be downloaded here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...rms/reg/reg343

Item 2 must be done at the DMV. They don't take credit cards.

Item 3 should have been sent to you express overnight from the selling dealer after paying for the car.

Item 4 requires that a DMV employee (or some others empowered to do so like peace officers) examine your car and make sure that it was built for California and that the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the title. This means that you should have included the California emissions equipment option to the selling dealer when you ordered the car or that the car you are buying was already built to conform to California regulations.The MSO you receive may have a section declaring that the car has a 50-State emissions system. The Corvette order code for this is YF5. There is also an order code specifically for California, NUE. The examiner looks for the emissions sticker under the hood and it has to say that the car meets California emissions. Without the word "California" on the sticker, forget it! Also, allow plenty of time for this inspection. Even with a DMV appointment I had to wait over two hours before it was my turn.

Item 5 is up to you to make sure your car is insured even with any insurance grace period that may exist. It is covered by the transport company during shipping but once off the truck it's up to you to make sure it has coverage.

Item 6 is the worst saved for last. This is the reason why I needed that time extension beyond the 20 days. You would think that a brand new built-for-California car would simply fly through an emissions test, but no! All GM cars including the Corvette as well as some other makes have a California approved catalyst break-in period. To pass the SMOG test the "post catalyst oxygen sensor diagnostics must report an Inspection/Maintenance System Yes (O2S/HO2S Monitor Complete - Yes" to pass the test. But they do not do so until after the preset catalyst break-in has been completed. This means that your new very low mileage car will probably fail the SMOG test and cannot yet be registered in California. It may take at least 400 miles and can take up to over 1,000 miles of driving before those monitors report Yes to the SMOG test equipment. The California temporary tag is a one-time permit, is not normally renewable, and may expire before you can drive enough miles to get those monitors to show ready. If you want to read more details about this go to this California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) document and find GM technical bulletin 15-NA-010 incorporated therein:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Chec...ll_Version.pdf

Fortunately there are things you can do to legally get that SMOG certificate even if the monitors are not yet ready.

First thing though is to see if you even have this problem. If you have an On-board Diagnostics (OBD) scan tool that reads car computer error codes you can see for yourself if the monitors are ready. The tool will show a green LED (as opposed to yellow or red) when you turn on the car's ignition. The tool's manual will explain how to use this function.

If you do have a problem, and you probably will at very low mileage, you can simply drive more miles. There is also a vehicle break-in deceleration maneuver procedure you can perform to try and get the monitors to show ready. That is described in the GM bulletin 15-NA-010.

If you don't have a scan tool to know when the monitors are ready or you don't want to drive a bunch of miles just to pass an emissions test you can get a waiver from the BAR Smog Check Referee Program. They have the authority to issue a SMOG certificate even though the monitors are not yet ready. A normal SMOG check station cannot do this. You can make an appointment by calling (800) 622-7733. These days it takes about three weeks to get an appointment so call them soon after you get your car. They also don't care if your temporary tags are expiring, They only have a limited number of stations so you may have to go far out to get an appointment that allows you to subsequently go to the DMV and finally get your car registered. The same is true for DMV appointments, it can take weeks to get a convenient appointment at an office near you.. You can just walk in to a DMV office and do the long sit and wait but that's miserable.

What happened to me is an outstanding example of Murphy's law in action. My monitors at a few miles on the car were of course not ready so I made a three week hence appointment with the BAR referee. This meant that I had to get that California temporary tag. Fortunately it became active after my New Hampshire tag expired so I had lots of time, or so I thought. I showed up at my referee appointment only to be told that an underground electrical fire that morning had resulted in all power being cut off to the building and that I would have to make another appointment. The referee was sympathetic but there was nothing he could do. He told me to drive my car as many miles as it took until the monitors showed ready. I immediately got on the phone to make another appointment but the first available was also three weeks hence, two days before my one-time California temporary tag was to expire. I also had to find a DMV office where I could make an appointment for the next day after that. I tried to do it online but for some reason the DMV website returned nothing but blank screens whenever I tried to verify a date and time. I had to use their telephone system with a two and a half hour call back waiting period.

Not real happy about cutting things so close I just drove the vehicle break-in miles and did that deceleration procedure described in the GM technical bulletin. After 550 miles the monitors finally showed ready on my scan tool and I just went to a regular SMOG check station and got my SMOG certificate.
I would of torched the car and walked away, what a friggin joke.......lol
Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM
449er
CF Senior Member

Cali certainly doesn't make it easy to purchase an out of state car, do they? Talk about jumping through hoops!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 PM
ss2z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 449er View Post
Cali certainly doesn't make it easy to purchase an out of state car, do they? Talk about jumping through hoops!
There are definitely extra steps but itís not that big of a deal especially because you usually save thousands going out of state.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Rinaldo Catria
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss2z06 View Post
There are definitely extra steps but itís not that big of a deal especially because you usually save thousands going out of state.
. Save even more if you donít return.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 PM
ss2z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria View Post
. Save even more if you donít return.
To each his own. I like it here for the most part. Some of the laws are ridiculous but overall I'd rather still be here.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 AM
aaslanmd
CF Member

Hi Phil,
Description of where CA sticker is and/or photo? Thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 AM
ss2z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by aaslanmd View Post
Hi Phil,
on the side of the hood (passenger side if I remember correctly)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:41 AM
TOO Z MAXX
CF Member

California is a fn joke. I bought my Vette in Montana and registered it there at my family's place. No way was I going to go through that crap.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Rinaldo Catria
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX View Post
California is a fn joke. I bought my Vette in Montana and registered it there at my family's place. No way was I going to go through that crap.
It will get even more diffucult after secession happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rinaldo Catria For This Useful Post:
Runnn (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Varmit
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I only had to get m y Z07 smogged prior to taking to the DMV to get it registered. I bought the car from Hendricks in Ga. Picked it up at the museum and drove it home. I paid the cali tax and dmv fees through Hendricks. Showed the the supplied documentation...done deal
The Following User Says Thank You to Varmit For This Useful Post:
aaslanmd (03-12-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 04:37 PM
ss2z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Varmit View Post
I only had to get m y Z07 smogged prior to taking to the DMV to get it registered. I bought the car from Hendricks in Ga. Picked it up at the museum and drove it home. I paid the cali tax and dmv fees through Hendricks. Showed the the supplied documentation...done deal
Thats really what it boils down to. Itís not that big of a deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to ss2z06 For This Useful Post:
aaslanmd (03-12-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Rjhctrapp
CF Senior Member

California is the biggest political money grab state of all 50. The thought of that ridiculousness coming here to wa state makes me angry. Sound Transit up here snuck a bill through and duped us voters. They use a bloated system to value cars and charge a ST3 tax. That means a 2016 Z06 costs $906 or so to tab. I live outside that ridiculous tax line. We wont be duped again. You guys in Cali take it in the shorts everytime you bend over. So in my city for my grand sport, it cost me $63 to register my vette. Washington is as of now super easy, but if the Cali crooked politicians move up here, they will ruin this state just like they have Cali. Hopefully the rain and snow keeps them down south. We dont need that riff raff moving here.

sorry for the attitude, im just sick of all of our pockets being emptied for BS bills and so called climate change/global warming.
Global warming= we had record snow fall and temps below freezing. Go figure. Must be because of opioids, oh, wait, wrong crisis.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:38 PM
SoCalC7
CF Senior Member

Attitude is justified. The liberal wackos here have made daily life almost untenable. TX and FL are on my radar.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
aaslanmd
CF Member

Hi Phil,

Just got my ZR back from PPF/tint/ceramic - found sticker on passenger side of hood. Thanks much!
​​​​​​​Now to rack up those first 500 miles...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Registering my out-of-state ZR1 in California

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: