Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Florida, a Corvette's paradise !

Old 12-05-2018, 04:07 PM
propete
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Florida, a Corvette's paradise !

Living in Florida we basically get to play with our toys 365 days out of the year. I can't imagine living where you are confined to maybe six months out of the year for your ZR1 due to snow and salt on the roadways. Snow in Florida? No way! Maybe a hurricane ever now and then but its definitely a corvette's paradise. How cold is it where you are? Do you have snow limiting your fun with the ZR1?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:28 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Its between 77-88 here most days in Belize. I'll say it is farely Florida like.
The following 2 users liked this post by keagan:
propete (12-05-2018), ViperFan1 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 04:45 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

Here in Michigan my ZR1 is only on the road for about 5 months.
The following users liked this post:
propete (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:09 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,732 Likes on 873 Posts

Heat everyday? Living and sleeping with A.C? Not ever experiencing a deep breath of crisp, cold, dense oxygen of a winters night? I would hang myself. But of course by February its Caribbean vacation time.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob62:
ladder13 (01-05-2019), propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 08:20 PM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Toronto Canada currently below zero and dry , I have snows and will be driving it all winter on dry days,
It almost killed me parking the Z06 for 5-6 months . I'm not go through that again . The turbo s did not solve the problem
propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by propete
Living in Florida we basically get to play with our toys 365 days out of the year. I can't imagine living where you are confined to maybe six months out of the year for your ZR1 due to snow and salt on the roadways. Snow in Florida? No way! Maybe a hurricane ever now and then but its definitely a corvette's paradise. How cold is it where you are? Do you have snow limiting your fun with the ZR1?
I just spent the greater part of two months in Florida and it rained nearly every damn day I arrived. I am sure this was triggered by the hurricane that passed by in early September, but it did not touch land. Is this normal weather? Because as many sunny days there were, there was also an equal amount of rainy days.

(Unless you live in a rain free zone?)
The following 2 users liked this post by WICKEDFRC:
propete (12-06-2018), ViperFan1 (12-15-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 PM
JBHunter
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I live in St. Petersburg...the forecast highs for Fri, Sat, and Sunday are 73, 76, and 74...it is fair to say you can daily drive your sports car here...Temps can get colder...New Years Day can see anywhere from around 30s to 70s depending on what Canada sends the US via cold fronts.
The bottom line is that weather in Tampa Bay and South of here is very Sports Car friendly. Also, there is no state income tax here...so that may help some to decide to at least visit Florida...Visit in January, or in February...when it is colder North of here...if you do, look me up. It would be a pleasure to meet and visit.

I came from suburban St. Paul in 1995...and I am happy I moved...
propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I agree with you 100%, I live in a west suburb of Chicago and my cool cars are grounded at least 4.5 months a year and it SUCKS!! BUT, in about 2 to 3 years the wife and I are going to get out of Dodge for most of winter and start living life year round, (b/c this life is just too short dealing with winter conditions for almost 5 months, and having your fun, go fast, make me feel good cool cars grounded b/c of winter road conditions)! If it wasn't for my career and family I would have moved to FLA years ago, or AZ or even southern CA (but too liberal for me, I also love my 2nd Amendment rights, so FLA or AZ is for me)!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-06-2018 at 01:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mopar Jimmy:
dee zed (12-06-2018), propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:56 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm envious of you Florida guys. If I lived there, I'd be doing most every HPDE at Daytona that I could. That track is a blast to drive in a Grand Sport, I can only image the thrill in a ZR1.
propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:37 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

Well I guess it depends on where you live in Florida. Yes you can drive the cars nearly year round, but in places like Naples in season, the traffic is ridiculous. There are intersections and traffic lights about every thousand feet as most of these places are nothing but a continuous grid work of streets that they continue to widen to compensate for the traffic.. There are enough curves or hills in the entire area to count on five fingers. So it’s stop light to stop light to another stop light which is great to practice shifting technique. In all the traffic it’s hard not to go out in the course of a day and witness rear end collisions at lights with all these boneheads that are texting, or someone that’s way too old to drive. I guess we should also take in to account all of the uninsured drivers here, and a good amount of them don’t even have drivers licenses. Corvettes were designed for curves and open driving, so it kind of defeats the purpose when your driving from light to light. Most of the time it’s too damn hot to take the top off unless you like broiling in the sun. My boat is better as at least I have a T top on that. So most of the time you are driving your car, you are in air conditioning exactly like you are when you are at home. More times than not, the only time I enjoy driving around here is at night when at least the traffic is down and the sun is not baking you. Get your ride all polished up and the drive around and there’s always some mistimed irrigation water all over the street so you can reclean it when you get home. And then there’s the rainy season with oppressive heat humid and constant rain, which of course I am long gone by that time which is a good thing. So yeah, I guess it’s paradise, but take everyone’s air conditioning away for one day and you hear people around here crying like a bunch of monks in a whorehouse. A few months of this and I just can’t wait to get back up north. To each his own I guess.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie2blue:
iw172 (12-06-2018), propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 AM
propete
Instructor

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
I just spent the greater part of two months in Florida and it rained nearly every damn day I arrived. I am sure this was triggered by the hurricane that passed by in early September, but it did not touch land. Is this normal weather? Because as many sunny days there were, there was also an equal amount of rainy days.

(Unless you live in a rain free zone?)
I have lived in the panhandle of Florida my whole life and yes we seem to get rain on occasion, sometimes for a couple of days in a row. Its basically the normal rains one would get in any state. For the most part we have very pleasant weather year round. I usually don't drive in the rain or at least I don't drive the corvette in the rain. Its just that I can't comprehend not being able to drive for six months or so due to snow, which we don't get. Sorry the rain messed up your stay in Florida, please come back agin, we would love to have you!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 AM
propete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
I agree with you 100%, I live in a west suburb of Chicago and my cool cars are grounded at least 4.5 months a year and it SUCKS!! BUT, in about 2 to 3 years the wife and I are going to get out of Dodge for most of winter and start living life year round, (b/c this life is just too short dealing with winter conditions for almost 5 months, and having your fun, go fast, make me feel good cool cars grounded b/c of winter road conditions)! If it wasn't for my career and family I would have moved to FLA years ago, or AZ or even southern CA (but too liberal for me, I also love my 2nd Amendment rights, so FLA or AZ is for me)!
Yes, I know what you mean, I hope you can at some point move to Florida, we would love to have you and you can have a blast driving your ZR1. Good luck to you my friend!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Glad somebody pointed out the hurricanes and rain in Florida. 365 days maybe San Diego but for me all those people would be pure hell. Can’t wait to be a snow bird myself. 4 years.
propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Well I guess it depends on where you live in Florida. Yes you can drive the cars nearly year round, but in places like Naples in season, the traffic is ridiculous. There are intersections and traffic lights about every thousand feet as most of these places are nothing but a continuous grid work of streets that they continue to widen to compensate for the traffic.. There are enough curves or hills in the entire area to count on five fingers. So it’s stop light to stop light to another stop light which is great to practice shifting technique. In all the traffic it’s hard not to go out in the course of a day and witness rear end collisions at lights with all these boneheads that are texting, or someone that’s way too old to drive. I guess we should also take in to account all of the uninsured drivers here, and a good amount of them don’t even have drivers licenses. Corvettes were designed for curves and open driving, so it kind of defeats the purpose when your driving from light to light. Most of the time it’s too damn hot to take the top off unless you like broiling in the sun. My boat is better as at least I have a T top on that. So most of the time you are driving your car, you are in air conditioning exactly like you are when you are at home. More times than not, the only time I enjoy driving around here is at night when at least the traffic is down and the sun is not baking you. Get your ride all polished up and the drive around and there’s always some mistimed irrigation water all over the street so you can reclean it when you get home. And then there’s the rainy season with oppressive heat humid and constant rain, which of course I am long gone by that time which is a good thing. So yeah, I guess it’s paradise, but take everyone’s air conditioning away for one day and you hear people around here crying like a bunch of monks in a whorehouse. A few months of this and I just can’t wait to get back up north. To each his own I guess.
Going between Florida and Michigan there is no one good place. It all depends when and where you are. West Michigan has great weather a few months a year. Lots of Car events on both the West and East side of the state. Starting that car in Spring is almost as good as getting a new car. Florida has more construction, crazy drivers and traffic. There are frosty days like today or rain so no cup tires. Good roads can be found outside the city Make the best of where you are and enjoy the car Many people would love to have it no matter where they are at!

The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
propete (12-06-2018), yogi11 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

Deb, you put it better than I. Yikes , that pic of your Z is about the best pic I have seen yet among all that I have seen. Talk about stance and attitude! Nice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie2blue:
DebRedZR1 (12-06-2018), propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Nesch18
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

2 days ago it was 40 here and I took her out with the top down. I don't care about the cold and as long it is dry the salt wont do anything.
propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:46 AM
propete
Instructor

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Going between Florida and Michigan there is no one good place. It all depends when and where you are. West Michigan has great weather a few months a year. Lots of Car events on both the West and East side of the state. Starting that car in Spring is almost as good as getting a new car. Florida has more construction, crazy drivers and traffic. There are frosty days like today or rain so no cup tires. Good roads can be found outside the city Make the best of where you are and enjoy the car Many people would love to have it no matter where they are at!
Deb, did you ceramic coat your torch red ZR1? Its gorgeous !

Get notified of new replies

To Florida, a Corvette's paradise !

Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Deb, did you ceramic coat your torch red ZR1? Its gorgeous !
Thank you so much , it's Hrydrosilex Ceramic coating . I like it better than the Ceramic pro, gives the car a more wet shine. Will see how long it lasts
propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Six months a year in southern Ontario and six months in SW Florida. Best of both worlds.

Spring, summer and fall in Ontario... all great driving seasons. Then “winter” in Florida, after hurricane season has ended, temps are a bit cooler than the humid, rainy season of summer and fall.

Best set of both worlds.
The following 2 users liked this post by Questar:
DebRedZR1 (12-09-2018), propete (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Bigeasyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 573 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
I'm envious of you Florida guys. If I lived there, I'd be doing most every HPDE at Daytona that I could. That track is a blast to drive in a Grand Sport, I can only image the thrill in a ZR1.
i drove an event there this past weekend sponsored by Audi Club North America, and that track in combination with a new ZR1 is the most fun I have had driving in the last 5 years of track events.
ZR1 could eat that track up......

propete (12-06-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Florida, a Corvette's paradise !