C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Totaled ZR1 #6

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

yes Dave...and I’d add the list of off track excursions by professional drivers on not fully warmed up tires is too long to list.... many of them at speed but also happening either before the race started, during yellow flags, or slow speeds exiting the pits. Common denominator: uber powerful cars... it’s the excitement that draws us all to them. Danger just comes along for the ride. Good luck with the new build Sean....and mostly, so happy no one was injured.
Agreed!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

Sucks for the car, but really glad to read that everyone is OK!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:38 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Michelin's are the most dangerous tires cold. Sorry to hear, and really appreciate the life lesson that many of us can hopefully take away from it. I've made my fair share as well.

Look forward to seeing you back on track soon!

Best Regards,
Dave
​​​​Nah, pirellis are the most dangerous cold. Had shitty pirelli pzero zero grip tires in my 2013 Mustang and 2015 Viper. Switched to michelins and both do a hell of a lot better than the pirellis. Michelin Super Sport and Pilot Sport 4S are better for street driving than the Pirelli Corsa and Pzero grip tires.

I do fine in my Viper with the PS4S tires, and the outside temps are around 37F in the morning on the way to work.

Last edited by serpent; 12-10-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Sorry to hear man. I've only been on this "community" for a very short while and even I recognize you're one of the great contributors. It's always a GUT PUNCH to hear or see an experienced driver have an incident.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 831 Posts

Sorry to hear! that was a big hit! Amazing it is possible to 'walk away' from hits like that in a factory-built car....

Time for a true track car?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Sean,

Truly sorry about what happened. I am glad you are OK. The car definitely took one for the team.

Look forward to seeing you drive again another C7 again and this time in anger.

Cheers!
Poor-sha (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 03:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,142 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Luke42_02
Ok, there are probably more than 6, but I know there are 6 that I have seen. I have been slacking lately.
Does anyone else find it somewhat morbid that folks are actively seeking this stuff out and posting it on the 'net? Good grief, man. The phrase "Get a Life" comes to mind, but hey, that's just my opinion.
Monkey D. Luffy (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:39 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,210 Posts

^^^
I think he monitors some auction site specializing in (rebuildable?) ZR1 wrecks.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

For all those being lured into a false sense of security, thinking switching from Cups to Super Sports, let this be a lesson. ��When I see something like this happen to an expert driver ��Sean, appreciate you sharing this painful sad experience. Reminds many of us........
TopSpeedNeed (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 AM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Sean, I have never met you but enjoy reading and watching your posts. I was at a DE where a driver got killed, not something you easily forget. I am glad your okay, and look forward to your future posts. Again, like everyone else has said, look at the damage and your still alive, as well as BEZ06, says allot about the safety of our C7's
Poor-sha (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Again thank you all for the kind words and support, I'm floored. I've really enjoyed being a part of this community through the Z06 and ZR1 and it's this community that has me determined to stay with a C7 in whatever I do next.

Conventional wisdom is always not to discuss these things publicly but I'll give a brief description of what happened now and then like I said, I'll try to break it down more so others can learn from my incident later. I was at a DE on Shenandoah and was mostly there just to hang out with my friends. I drove up on the Super Sports and was taking a guest for a ride. It was a cool morning and I thought the tires had enough heat but I crested a hill and had too much throttle which spun the tires and turned the car. There was no room or traction to save it and I hit the wall.
thank god everyone was ok. The c7 platform protected the occupants quite well. Do you think the E-diff contributed to the problem? — similar to Another members crash on the quarter mile drags —

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

WOW !!!!! Glad you're OK and that the car design did exactly what it was intended to do and protect the occupants.
Poor-sha (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
^^^
I think he monitors some auction site specializing in (rebuildable?) ZR1 wrecks.
Fair enough. I see these threads pop up every so often and just think to myself, "How morbid."
Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
thank god everyone was ok. The c7 platform protected the occupants quite well. Do you think the E-diff contributed to the problem?
No. It was cold, it had snowed a few days prior (track was cleaned, but...), and those things don't generally mix well with a torquey vehicle on summer tires. Even the Super Sports. This had nothing to do with anything mechanical on the car.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:05 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Sorry to hear this

So sorry to hear about this Sean. Glade both of you are ok after the incident, this is always my greatest reservation about passengers. Glad I got the opportunity to ride with you at VIR to improve my knowledge of the track.
Poor-sha (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Sad and upset when I look at that. Glad you are okay.

Sean you are one of the best driver's I have had the opportunity to share the track with and will again. This can happen to anyone.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:09 AM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 542 Likes on 191 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by jvp
Does anyone else find it somewhat morbid that folks are actively seeking this stuff out and posting it on the 'net? Good grief, man. The phrase "Get a Life" comes to mind, but hey, that's just my opinion.
Sorry man, I’m looking for a ZR1 to rebuild. There are really only two places a car like this will go when totaled so it’s not very hard to find them. When I find them I post them here for two reasons. First, we talk a lot about how easy it is for this car to get away from you. I think the pictures help reinforce that. Second, this ZR1 may be a legendary car if there are only 1500-2000 made. We often wonder just how many of the legendary cars remain and the data is gone once the car goes through auction. I post it here in case anyone ever wants to go back and see.

That being said, it was a very bad mistake to put an exclamation point in my subject line. I was excited because this was the first salvage MT car I had come across. I tried to change it, but of course you can’t edit the subject. Sorry for those I offended, and thank you Poor-sha for understanding and not sicking the folks on me. That certainly would have been understandable.

Last edited by Luke42_02; 12-12-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Totaled ZR1 #6

Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Sorry man, I’m looking for a ZR1 to rebuild. There are really only two places a car like this will go when totaled so it’s not very hard to find them. When I find them I post them here for two reasons. First, we talk a lot about how easy it is for this car to get away from you. I think the pictures help reinforce that. Second, this ZR1 may be a legendary car if there are only 1500-2000 made. We often wonder just how many of the legendary cars remain and the data is gone once the car goes through auction. I post it here in case anyone ever wants to go back and see.

That being said, it was a very bad mistake to put an exclamation point in my subject line. I was excited because this was the first salvage MT car I had come across. I tried to change it, but of course you can’t edit the subject. Sorry for those I offended, and thank you Poor-sha for understanding sicking the folks on me. That certainly would have been understandable.
It is easily perceived as you deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others.

If you are truly concerned about the historical significance of your information why don't you contact the National Corvette Museum?

If you think the project is of interest to anyone here I'm not sure why you just wouldn't wait until it was complete or at least in process? Right now you're just somebody seeking out and posting up pictures of cars that people have wrecked.

I may very well be speaking only for myself but I don't think anyone here needs to be reminded of how easily these cars can get away from you.

What happened to Sean was a very unfortunate mishap, an anomaly and more to do with conditions than the car. Just happy he and his passenger were okay.

jvp (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 542 Likes on 191 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Racingswh
It is easily perceived as you deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others.

If you are truly concerned about the historical significance of your information why don't you contact the National Corvette Museum?

If you think the project is of interest to anyone here I'm not sure why you just wouldn't wait until it was complete or at least in process? Right now you're just somebody seeking out and posting up pictures of cars that people have wrecked.

I may very well be speaking only for myself but I don't think anyone here needs to be reminded of how easily these cars can get away from you.

What happened to Sean was a very unfortunate mishap, an anomaly and more to do with conditions than the car. Just happy he and his passenger were okay.
Thank you for your feedback. I'll take it under advisement.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

That being said, it was a very bad mistake to put an exclamation point in my subject line. I was excited because this was the first salvage MT car I had come across. I tried to change it, but of course you can’t edit the subject. Sorry for those I offended, and thank you Poor-sha for understanding sicking the folks on me. That certainly would have been understandable.
Mods can edit your subject, all fixed. Mixed feelings, no one wants to see a wrecked car, the facts surrounding the incident are often valuable learning for some. Hate when it’s one of our own members , especially one who contributes so much.