C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How are the Sport Cup 2 tires??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
How I feel when I see another color that makes me second guess my choice.
there are no bad colors in this car IMO.. I changed my mind 3 times before my deadline came and went... or I would have probably changed more times. Haha. My C6 Grand Sport was a one and done decision: 1LT GS Torch Red convertible. The only decision on the car was the color. NO OPTIONS. (but then it went to Callaway)
The following users liked this post:
rob62 (12-09-2018)
Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

own #574... ZTK M7. Took delivery in June. had same Cup 2’s concerns as you.. Bought MPSS through Discount Tires Direct... shipped to dealer prior to cars delivery. Dealer swapped the tires and did balance so if there was a rim scratch Id be covered. Sent my Cup 2’s to buyer (Forum member). Drove car home 700 miles on Pilot SS’s and had 1st oil change done at 500 mi on trip home. Would do it again. Personally dont believe Cup 2’s are safe in heavy rain and only improve grip at the limit once they are hot. Most street driving situations the MPSS will be better and they wont be continually throwing small stones up on your car. I have had MPSS’s on my C6 GS Callaway SC606 for several years now and really like them. Safe tire in heavy rain. Slow down a bit is all. If you are a track rat and will spend more time there than the street, keep the Cup 2’s. Otherwise, swap them out new IMO.
What size did you use for the rear? I cant find the Pilot Super Sports in P335/25ZR20
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1
I'm not going to be tracking my ZR1 and won't be using it as a daily driver. I'm just wondering if these tires are going to be okay for street driving?? Unless I notice that they grip better I will probably run them for a season and get the Michelin Super Sports. What's everyone's thoughts on this??
- I just finished my first road trip in my ZR1 and had the SC2s on for it (car is barely 500 miles old). It rained more of the time, and this is on poor-draining SoCal freeways and PCH and some poorly maintained back roads. The SC2s tracked really well, zero stability issues. They also would break loose very easily with any provocative throttle. They do not like cold.. But the ZR1 seems pretty easy to catch and control. I'd have no concern driving these tires in the rain in the future, they are also ok going over light mud and gravel btw. But they are loud, even new. And that's the main reason I'm shopping for a second set of wheels and PSSs now.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 PM
malexand123
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I love my SC2 on my Stingray. I do track it tho. And 3 seasons out of the year, they stay on the car. For the winter, I have a set of all seasons.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Flybyu2
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
What size did you use for the rear? I cant find the Pilot Super Sports in P335/25ZR20

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/mich.../p/tv060002430
Nyvetteguy007 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

For those wondering about the Pilot Sport 4S, they are decent in cold sub 40F weather. Just drive sensibly and not mash throttle in middle of corner. I have them on my Viper and have taken the car out in mornings around 37F. PS4S tires are great street tires with normal driving in mind. If you want the best tire for performance on the street that can handle power, then you need the Toyo R888R.

Originally Posted by B-Reiter
1303 has PDI done. Thinking of taking delivery Monday. It will be 50* Monday. Safe to drive it at 55 for 20 mile to my garage? Concerned about hearing the thread replies.
Dang this is the first ZR1 that ive seen that confused me. I thought it was a regular C7 till I saw the fender vent and wheels. I thought the ZR1s had two wing options, is there a wing delete option as well?

Last edited by serpent; 03-20-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Cups are Spectacular in the Sand too.
The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
2019 ZR1 (03-20-2019), CW4L (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

^ Do you trailer the Z from Michigan to Florida, or drive it?
Old 03-20-2019, 12:04 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by serpent
^ Do you trailer the Z from Michigan to Florida, or drive it?
Enclosed via Tri Logistics
Old 03-20-2019, 01:20 PM
B-Reiter
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It has the big wing, That was just the pic before it had PDI done . This is after PDI. #1303
DebRedZR1 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 01:22 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by b-reiter

it has the big wing, that was just the pic before it had pdi done . This is after pdi. #1303
gorgeous
B-Reiter (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 PM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1

Cups are Spectacular in the Sand too.
HMMM a new 4x4 version Deb. Dont get stuck in the sand, lol. Although isn't it fun to drive the vette on the nice hard sand. I'm sure lots of attention too. You love it.

To the OP on Tires, I love the MPSS and the A/S3+ the sport cups I'm not really into but they do grip better than the rest but I changed mine out after wore the first set out fast.

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Last edited by CW4L; 03-20-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

I don't have a ZR1 (I have a lowly 2016 ZO6 with ZO7 package). My car came with the Cup 2's. I put 7500 miles on them before I replaced them. I drove the car in the rain and didn't crash. I just put the car in wet mode, slowed down and didn't treat the gas pedal as an on and off switch. I even drove the car when the temp was below 50, it was February when I purchased the car and drove it home with 8 miles on the clock, at night and didn't crash.

I had no problem getting the tires up to temps (cold 29 psi to warm 32psi)on curvy mountain roads.

At 7500 miles I replaced them with MPSS and the MPSS are on the car now, however I have purchased another set of stock wheels and will put cup 2's on the other set. At the end of April I will put the cup2 back on the car and will leave them on all summer and in late fall put the MPSS back on.

YES the MPSS is far and away the better tire in the rain !! , However the cup 2 is far and away the better tire on dry roads. Don't believe me??? Read below.

the 2019 Corvette ZR1 set a production-car lap record on the 4.1-mile Grand Course West at Virginia International Raceway with a time of 2:37.25.

Along with a harness bar and track seats with five-point harnesses, the record-setting stock ZR1 coupe was equipped with the available paddle-shift eight-speed automatic and ZTK Performance Package, which includes an adjustable carbon-fiber High Wing, a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning.

“The Corvette ZR1’s lap record at VIR, arguably America’s most challenging road course, is a testament to its supercar status,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “On the racetrack, the ZR1 can compete with any supercar — at any price.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy
I don't have a ZR1 (I have a lowly 2016 ZO6 with ZO7 package). My car came with the Cup 2's. I put 7500 miles on them before I replaced them. I drove the car in the rain and didn't crash. I just put the car in wet mode, slowed down and didn't treat the gas pedal as an on and off switch. I even drove the car when the temp was below 50, it was February when I purchased the car and drove it home with 8 miles on the clock, at night and didn't crash.

I had no problem getting the tires up to temps (cold 29 psi to warm 32psi)on curvy mountain roads.

At 7500 miles I replaced them with MPSS and the MPSS are on the car now, however I have purchased another set of stock wheels and will put cup 2's on the other set. At the end of April I will put the cup2 back on the car and will leave them on all summer and in late fall put the MPSS back on.

YES the MPSS is far and away the better tire in the rain !! , However the cup 2 is far and away the better tire on dry roads. Don't believe me??? Read below.

the 2019 Corvette ZR1 set a production-car lap record on the 4.1-mile Grand Course West at Virginia International Raceway with a time of 2:37.25.

Along with a harness bar and track seats with five-point harnesses, the record-setting stock ZR1 coupe was equipped with the available paddle-shift eight-speed automatic and ZTK Performance Package, which includes an adjustable carbon-fiber High Wing, a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning.

“The Corvette ZR1’s lap record at VIR, arguably America’s most challenging road course, is a testament to its supercar status,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “On the racetrack, the ZR1 can compete with any supercar — at any price.
. Not all of us are able to get our tires up to track temps on the street. In the dialog between “Skydiver” and Randy Pobst, Skydiver pointed out that autocross guys (timed events) found PSS superior to Cup 2’s because they are not able to get the Cup 2’s hot enough. I have had instructors tell me that unless Cup 2’s are pushed very hard on the track they do not grip better than PSS even there. CUP 2’s are super tires. They will be the tires to use for the fastest possible lap times when compared to the MPSS... but I respectfully disagree they are a better or grippier street tire than the MPSS even on dry streets.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

[QUOTE=Rinaldo Catria;1599092960]. Not all of us are able to get our tires up to track temps on the street. In the dialog between “Skydiver” and Randy Pobst, Skydiver pointed out that autocross guys (timed events) found PSS superior to Cup 2’s because they are not able to get the Cup 2’s hot enough. I have had instructors tell me that unless Cup 2’s are pushed very hard on the track they do not grip better than PSS even there. CUP 2’s are super tires. They will be the tires to use for the fastest possible lap times when compared to the MPSS... but I respectfully disagree they are a better or grippier street tire than the MPSS even on dry streets.[/QUOTE]

agree 100%, you wouldn't be able to get cup 2s up to temp at an autocross

we agree to disagree about the cup 2s being grippier on the street.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:17 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

My only experience with PSSs on track was when I had them on my blown Z4 M Coupe, which was a pretty damn quick car. The PSSs sucked. Their grip level was ok to begin with, but they handled heat very poorly compared to NT-01s that I usually would run for track duty. And their outer edges scalloped badly even without being overdriven. Notice my past tense, this was the first gen of PSSs some years back. Perhaps they are different now. But I do would not tend to consider them capable of track duty on a fast car with a fast driver.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:19 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Palantirion
My only experience with PSSs on track was when I had them on my blown Z4 M Coupe, which was a pretty damn quick car. The PSSs sucked. Their grip level was ok to begin with, but they handled heat very poorly compared to NT-01s that I usually would run for track duty. And their outer edges scalloped badly even without being overdriven. Notice my past tense, this was the first gen of PSSs some years back. Perhaps they are different now. But I do would not tend to consider them capable of track duty on a fast car with a fast driver.
The PSS on the ZR1 non ZTK are 3rd gen.. the 4th gen (PSS)Pilot 4S which is available in 325/25/20 has more grip yet according to tests In tire shootouts. Michelin has told me they have plans to replace all 3rd gen PSS sizes with the 4th gen Pilot 4S “eventually”. At Spring Mountain on 1/25 & 26, our ZR1’s wore PSS’s the first day and Cup’s the 2nd.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 03-24-2019 at 03:47 AM.

Quick Reply: How are the Sport Cup 2 tires??