C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

R&T says ZR1 bests McLaren Senna!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 04:15 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
I was lucky not to have been hurt by a 911. The 4th time my last one swapped ends on me was enough to convince me it was time to part with that albatross.
All kidding aside I’m glad you didn’t get hurt. That wasn’t the intention of my post.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:01 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
All kidding aside I’m glad you didn’t get hurt. That wasn’t the intention of my post.
He's either basing his opinion on 1970-1990 911's, is being dramatic, is an impressively bad stick, or a combination of all of the above, because I have a ton of seat time in Porsche's and have never spun one, let alone 4 times. Give me an f'n break. This forum kills me.
The following users liked this post:
serpent (12-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 07:39 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA

Thanks Man. I have no problem acknowledging that I was a terrible driver with little or no idea how to drive a sports car and am honestly only a little better now. You guys that track cars are in another league than most of us here. I've got about 400 passes on 1/4 drag strips over the last 35 years or so.
TARANTULA (12-16-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:11 AM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

I am sure this will get the sh__ rolling but to me the Porsches need a new look they have had those same headlights for 25 years maybe more. The ZR1 look's so much more up to date big wide low to the ground beast with great lines let's face it the C7 is a badass looking car put them side by side take the names off and I bet 9 out 10 average people chose the ZR1. Now let the duanes zo6 bashing begin. For you defiantly know where my loyalty is that's why I buy, drive and have three Corvettes and this is the Corvette Forum where I defend the only real American sports car CORVETTE!!!!!!!!!
FringbirdAloha (06-04-2019)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:53 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
I am sure this will get the sh__ rolling but to me the Porsches need a new look they have had those same headlights for 25 years maybe more. The ZR1 look's so much more up to date big wide low to the ground beast with great lines let's face it the C7 is a badass looking car put them side by side take the names off and I bet 9 out 10 average people chose the ZR1. Now let the duanes zo6 bashing begin. For you defiantly know where my loyalty is that's why I buy, drive and have three Corvettes and this is the Corvette Forum where I defend the only real American sports car CORVETTE!!!!!!!!!
Even the most rabid Porsche humper knows that this is an accurate statement. The 911 has come a long way appearance wise in the past decade or so but still has the same old bug eyed front end. The C7 is in another league as styling goes
FringbirdAloha (06-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
Porsche keeps improving its traditional design and it is like an Airstream travel trailer when you see on the road you know what brand it is. Each generation of Corvette is different because that is how GM can bury its past mistakes and start fresh. Go to a cars and coffee and compare how many of the next generation of buyers do not even look at C7's and head for the exotics.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
Porsche keeps improving its traditional design and it is like an Airstream travel trailer when you see on the road you know what brand it is. Each generation of Corvette is different because that is how GM can bury its past mistakes and start fresh. Go to a cars and coffee and compare how many of the next generation of buyers do not even look at C7's and head for the exotics.
I will have to differ on that statement I show both on my cars and most of the time they are the main attraction and I show with Ferrari 488 Acura NSX and many many more believe me the ZR1 Gets every bit as much attention and I believe even more than any other car at the car shows.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
There is no Porsche that could ever be considered a "value".
Don't know how you can say that, just sold one of my two GT2RS's for 70k more than I paid, never made money on any of my 13 Corvette's so far.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Don't know how you can say that, just sold one of my two GT2RS's for 70k more than I paid, never made money on any of my 13 Corvette's so far.

I have always lost money on the vettes I have sold but i may not be doing enough volume ? LOL . Thats awesome on your P car. Hit a home run.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:55 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

i bet General Motors cumulatively paid road and track more in ad money then all the other manufacturers combined to say these sweet nothings. in the end 122k is a lot of money. But it is less then 300k to a million bucks it would cost to buy these other cars so the value is certainly there.

But the guys who could afford to pay and are willing to pay 300k to 1 million bucks for the mcclaren or Ferrari or Porsche feel the same about your zr1 as you feel about a Honda Civic R or Ford Focus RS offered for 2019.
You can't compare a ZR1 to the Honda and Ford with a straight face! Is the Ford Focus RS is even 'offered' for 2019???
Old 06-03-2019, 06:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
You can't compare a ZR1 to the Honda and Ford with a straight face! Is the Ford Focus RS is even 'offered' for 2019???
You know, I think you and I have enough experience to appreciate the drivers that get the most out of whatever they bring to the track. Lordy, do I ever love it (and I know you do, too)!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
You know, I think you and I have enough experience to appreciate the drivers that get the most out of whatever they bring to the track. Lordy, do I ever love it (and I know you do, too)!
Yes, we both know it's pretty much the driver, no doubt. However, here we're comparing cars, not drivers.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Serious question: could any of us on this forum other than you have had a chance to get the GT2 for the price you paid for it? What is your relationship to the dealer, because the ones that I checked on were already priced at huge markups at the dealership, which is why you were able to get 70 grand more than you paid for it. The party who bought it from you didn’t have your “connection”. Your dealer could have sold it for a lot more to someone else as well.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Some fun facts about the Senna vrs ZR1, the Senna out accelerated an A8 ZR1 by 3.8 seconds between T10-T12 at COTA. Just playing with some of my data simulations...I can race the cars via AIM data and actually will recheck this against my M7 ZR1.

I recently piloted two Senna’s at full tilt on track for 2 days, then came home and hopped in my M7 ZR1 for some comparison testing. I can tell you that the ZR1s acceleration sensations are greater than the Senna, which really put a smile on my face and made me appreciate that LT5 beast. BUT the P1 feels like a ZR1 with 2500 more RPMs, and pulls DAMN hard with low air pressure and heat in the tire lol. The Senna’s highspeed stability is indescribable, you can really place the car and move it around once the aero is activated, really lean on it. Both are sweet cars...duh

Fast forward some:

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 06-03-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:20 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
Serious question: could any of us on this forum other than you have had a chance to get the GT2 for the price you paid for it? What is your relationship to the dealer, because the ones that I checked on were already priced at huge markups at the dealership, which is why you were able to get 70 grand more than you paid for it. The party who bought it from you didn’t have your “connection”. Your dealer could have sold it for a lot more to someone else as well.
I have ZERO relationship to any Porsche dealerships, in fact my five Porsche's all are from different dealerships, what I did do was order these cars a year ago at sticker at two different dealerships with the hope of getting one, didn't think I could get both, but neither dealership tried to screw me or change the deal, both required healthy deposits when orders were accepted, but I find this common on these type cars these days. Now I am looking to see what they do with the 992 gt2rs, the new body, and the answer is yes of course I am. I like all cars that go fast.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

I have ZERO relationship to any Porsche dealerships, in fact my five Porsche's all are from different dealerships, what I did do was order these cars a year ago at sticker at two different dealerships with the hope of getting one, didn't think I could get both, but neither dealership tried to screw me or change the deal, both required healthy deposits when orders were accepted, but I find this common on these type cars these days. Now I am looking to see what they do with the 992 gt2rs, the new body, and the answer is yes of course I am. I like all cars that go fast.
I believe you.. and tip my hat to you for being on top of that. You obviously know what you are doing. I honestly didn’t believe there was a chance in h*ll to get one from a dealership that you weren’t buying a new Panamera or such from every year. On the subject Vette values, as you say, current production models don't act like the Gt2 or Ford GT. IMO, the C7 ZR1 does has the greatest chance to retain value better once FE production ceases. Having a manual, I’m talking my own book by saying I think they have an advantage over the A8, but its based on lower production numbers and the likelyhood of no manual in the C8. BUT.. resale value expectations had NO part of my decision to buy it. I just love to drive it. I haven’t had it for a year yet, it was winter stored for over 6 months here in snow country and I still have over 4600 miles on her. 3/4 of them on twisty N Wis two lane country roads. Buy it to drive it has always been my plan with all my cars.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 06-04-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
I believe you.. and tip my hat to you for being on top of that. You obviously know what you are doing. I honestly didn’t believe there was a chance in h*ll to get one from a dealership that you weren’t buying a new Panamera or such from every year. On the subject Vette values, as you say, current production models don't act like the Gt2 or Ford GT. IMO, the C7 ZR1 does has the greatest chance to retain value better once FE production ceases. Having a manual, I’m talking my own book by saying I think they have an advantage over the A8, but its based on lower production numbers and the likelyhood of no manual in the C8. BUT.. resale value expectations had NO part of my decision to buy it. I just love to drive it. I haven’t had it for a year yet, it was winter stored for over 6 months here in snow country and I still have over 4600 miles on her. 3/4 of them on twisty N Wis two lane country roads. Buy it to drive it has always been my plan with all my cars.
All 13 of my Corvette's have been manuals, but that sounds like it maybe about to end, but maybe the new trans will be just like the PDK, but most likely not. I think the ZR1 will do ok in the long run and kind of hold it's price depending on the C8 prices, and maybe people wanting the last front engine Corvette.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

All 13 of my Corvette's have been manuals, but that sounds like it maybe about to end, but maybe the new trans will be just like the PDK, but most likely not. I think the ZR1 will do ok in the long run and kind of hold it's price depending on the C8 prices, and maybe people wanting the last front engine Corvette.
There is an element about the change from FME to RME that I haven’t heard discussed: the “fun to drive” factor. The looks and performance statistics will be what most people focus on in the short run, but in the longer run, its the driving experience. The C8 may very well hit it right out of the park in that respect. But, personally I believe it has some pretty big shoes to fill; especially following the ZR1, but the other C7s as well. It’s hard to figure how the RME layout could possibly be as “daily driver friendly” as the FME IMO.

Quick Reply: R&T says ZR1 bests McLaren Senna!