C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

R&T says ZR1 bests McLaren Senna!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

i bet General Motors cumulatively paid road and track more in ad money then all the other manufacturers combined to say these sweet nothings. in the end 122k is a lot of money. But it is less then 300k to a million bucks it would cost to buy these other cars so the value is certainly there.

But the guys who could afford to pay and are willing to pay 300k to 1 million bucks for the mcclaren or Ferrari or Porsche feel the same about your zr1 as you feel about a Honda Civic R or Ford Focus RS offered for 2019.
Get to the track much? Those Ferrari and Porsche drivers get passed often by some of those lowly little front wheel beaters. Of course, if they simply drive their expensive imports to the country club on sunny days or formal social events and read articles about what great cars they have then, yeah, they probably look down on those little four bangers. Personally, I think it might put a crick in their neck to bend their noses down out of the clouds to look down.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I don't see any Honda Civic Type R or Ford Focus RS passing ZR1's, Porsches or Ferraris on the track. Different league.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by range96
I don't see any Honda Civic Type R or Ford Focus RS passing ZR1's, Porsches or Ferraris on the track. Different league.
You can and I have at HPDE's on a few occassions. It is a fact. Of course, I am talking drivers with experience. And it stands to reason that the guys/gals driving those track prepared little four bangers probably get a lot of experience at the track. I have seen drivers of vehicles north of $300K come to the track without a clue or any desire to wring it out. The type of driver that would be of the opinion that lesser cars have inferior capabilities is the driver that would get his butt handed to him at the track with someone experienced. I would think you would know that.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Get to the track much? Those Ferrari and Porsche drivers get passed often by some of those lowly little front wheel beaters. Of course, if they simply drive their expensive imports to the country club on sunny days or formal social events and read articles about what great cars they have then, yeah, they probably look down on those little four bangers. Personally, I think it might put a crick in their neck to bend their noses down out of the clouds to look down.
my point exactly. But I rather be driving the mcclaren or Ferrari on the track getting passed by a focus rs — then a guy in a focus rs passing a Ferrari or mcclaren.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:07 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

my point exactly. But I rather be driving the mcclaren or Ferrari on the track getting passed by a focus rs — then a guy in a focus rs passing a Ferrari or mcclaren.
I understand your point. I look it from a little different perspective. The driver in the focus is having one hell of a good time!
Old 12-14-2018, 04:13 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
You can and I have at HPDE's on a few occassions. It is a fact. Of course, I am talking drivers with experience. And it stands to reason that the guys/gals driving those track prepared little four bangers probably get a lot of experience at the track. I have seen drivers of vehicles north of $300K come to the track without a clue or any desire to wring it out. The type of driver that would be of the opinion that lesser cars have inferior capabilities is the driver that would get his butt handed to him at the track with someone experienced. I would think you would know that.
Driver experience is big, no doubt. I'm not familiar with 'green' groups as I always run with advanced drivers.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:45 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
And if a frog didn't have back legs, he'd bump his *** when he jumps....
Speaking of frogs and their cousin the toad I couldn’t help but feel there was more than a little foreshadowing in the Road & Track article when the author described the outdated looks of the Porsche. Kinda like they were sending a message to the boys from Stuttgart that the time has come to update their look.
On a different note, if you are a Corvette owner or aficionado you just had to smile at the end of this article when the ZR1 was named the victor. Anyway you slice it this was a tremendous achievement for the Corvette Team led by Tadge Juechter. Just go back and read the comments of the C6 ZR1 in the various car mags and you get my drift. I know as a 4 time Corvette owner with a C7 Stingray I am immensely proud of Corvette and what they have accomplished. Keep up the great work and may the C8 continue this ever moving upward trajectory of a true American icon.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:28 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Door dings and bad weather is what my kia all wheel drive Sorento is for. For the mclaren owner that’s what his Land Rover or Porsche suv is for.
That wasn't my point. Sorentos, Land Rovers and Porsche SUV's can still get dents from other people's doors. I've never had that happen on any Corvette I've owned.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 AM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
Much of the victory is price related and user friendliness for daily use. If at equal cost which would you rather have? Do not think many will choose the Chevy.

I think saying equal price might be making it too hard to not choose the pricier car . Just because. However I have wanted a Lambo or a Ferrari since i was a kid , like most kids I guess. I actually saw where a Huracan was hanging with a ZR1 on You tube and in some cases faster. So I thought I should scrap plans of getting a ZR1 and get the Huracan. So last Monday I head to the Lambo dealer. He had an Orange LP610-4 Huracan 2015 with 8K miles on it. Very clean very nice car. Beautiful inside and out. I took it for a little test drive. It is a neat car. Not the car for me. I also have an Audi R8 that is my daily on nice weather days. I wanted to use the Huracan the same way. The Huracan was noisier in the cabin and just seemed more brash. I have opted to keep the R8 and buy the ZR1 . I bought a ZO6 in 2015 and drove it a lot of miles (30K miles in 2 years before we started modifying it to go much faster). The ZO6 is a nice car that can be daily driven and has great performance. I expect more of the same from the ZR1. Keep in mind I am not a track guy so I like a car I can enjoy driving to work , taking a little trip, etc. I guess in all my rambling it depends on what you want to do with the car. I also looked at a lot car faxs on the Huracan. A lot of people keep one right at a year. not many miles put on these cars. They are dependable good cars but I think more of a track type car not something that begs to be driven frequently , I think once the new wears off you jump in the wife's MB or the pickup to go to dinner. Kind of funny now that I am a little older and can buy what I want within reason I am still buying a corvette. Maybe you cant get above your raising . Just my 2 cents. I am hoping the mid engine GT corvette comes to fruition, A really quiet comfortable hot rod until you mash the gas. Thats what all of us old guys need.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by moon2605
I think saying equal price might be making it too hard to not choose the pricier car . Just because. However I have wanted a Lambo or a Ferrari since i was a kid , like most kids I guess. I actually saw where a Huracan was hanging with a ZR1 on You tube and in some cases faster. So I thought I should scrap plans of getting a ZR1 and get the Huracan. So last Monday I head to the Lambo dealer. He had an Orange LP610-4 Huracan 2015 with 8K miles on it. Very clean very nice car. Beautiful inside and out. I took it for a little test drive. It is a neat car. Not the car for me. I also have an Audi R8 that is my daily on nice weather days. I wanted to use the Huracan the same way. The Huracan was noisier in the cabin and just seemed more brash. I have opted to keep the R8 and buy the ZR1 . I bought a ZO6 in 2015 and drove it a lot of miles (30K miles in 2 years before we started modifying it to go much faster). The ZO6 is a nice car that can be daily driven and has great performance. I expect more of the same from the ZR1. Keep in mind I am not a track guy so I like a car I can enjoy driving to work , taking a little trip, etc. I guess in all my rambling it depends on what you want to do with the car. I also looked at a lot car faxs on the Huracan. A lot of people keep one right at a year. not many miles put on these cars. They are dependable good cars but I think more of a track type car not something that begs to be driven frequently , I think once the new wears off you jump in the wife's MB or the pickup to go to dinner. Kind of funny now that I am a little older and can buy what I want within reason I am still buying a corvette. Maybe you cant get above your raising . Just my 2 cents. I am hoping the mid engine GT corvette comes to fruition, A really quiet comfortable hot rod until you mash the gas. Thats what all of us old guys need.
I spent some time in an LP610 last weekend because my friend just bought one. My opinion is Lamborghini hit it out of the park with that car. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior styling, but it's growing on me, and it's definitely better looking in person. The transmission and motor are a masterpiece.

All that being said, I certainly wouldn't want to daily drive a Huracan. Not because the car can't do it or isn't comfortable, but because that would ruin the specialness for me. But throw me both keys for a special occasion, and I know what car I'd drive 100 times out of 100.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:18 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by moon2605
This is a very refreshing post indeed. You obviously get it. A Z06 that can now be acquired new for less than 70K in some cases will do 98% of what all those overpriced Euro hot rods will. We have all known the loser with a wallet who buys into a Lambo or Ferrari while making a pathetic attempt to validate himself. These cars are perfect for those guys and as you state, the novelty wears off quickly.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:54 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
This is a very refreshing post indeed. You obviously get it. A Z06 that can now be acquired new for less than 70K in some cases will do 98% of what all those overpriced Euro hot rods will. We have all known the loser with a wallet who buys into a Lambo or Ferrari while making a pathetic attempt to validate himself. These cars are perfect for those guys and as you state, the novelty wears off quickly.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:47 AM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

It’s all relative to many things really... I’ve owned Corvettes, Porsche’s, and Mclaren’s. I currently have a Mclaren that I love! I also have a Porsche I love. I loved my last Corvette, but it’s not the same kind of love I feel for my current cars. Let’s look at this differently just for a second. Compare a C7 ZR1 to a C7 Z06... marginally the ZR1 will prevail in most every category, but for an extra $20-$30k better? Not to me. I’d take a Z06 10 ot of 10 times all day everyday over a ZR1 for personal reasons. Point blank I don’t like the front end on the ZR1 (looks like a catfish) and the wheels... Seriously ?!?! Heinous! But I love love love the look of the Z06 and with just a few tweaks or even a drivermod it’s right there with big brother.

Everyone wants their car or brand to be the best... truth is, most if not all cars have major drawbacks to them. Nothing is perfect. Had they compared the ZR1 to a 720S they’d have much closer price ranges, and the 720 is the faster car period! Drawback to daily driving an exotic is people want to be up in your business while driving and it can be distracting if not at times dangerous. It’s perceived as “arrogance” by many people when an exotic driver try’s to elude fender lizards or kids wanting selfies or videos driving down the road, when in reality the driver is just trying to get somewhere.

I love the “overpriced euro imports” comments because they’re narrow minded in regards to build materials and importing a car from the other side of the world costs. I have owned said cars and each cost what they cost for a reason, trust me. Not looking for an argument, just offering a different perspective.

All things being said, the ZR1 is a wonderful car, very high performer, but let’s get real... it’s not a bargain car regardless of which brand you’re comparing it to.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:45 PM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by C7BB
It’s all relative to many things really... I’ve owned Corvettes, Porsche’s, and Mclaren’s. I currently have a Mclaren that I love! I also have a Porsche I love. I loved my last Corvette, but it’s not the same kind of love I feel for my current cars. Let’s look at this differently just for a second. Compare a C7 ZR1 to a C7 Z06... marginally the ZR1 will prevail in most every category, but for an extra $20-$30k better? Not to me. I’d take a Z06 10 ot of 10 times all day everyday over a ZR1 for personal reasons. Point blank I don’t like the front end on the ZR1 (looks like a catfish) and the wheels... Seriously ?!?! Heinous! But I love love love the look of the Z06 and with just a few tweaks or even a drivermod it’s right there with big brother.

Everyone wants their car or brand to be the best... truth is, most if not all cars have major drawbacks to them. Nothing is perfect. Had they compared the ZR1 to a 720S they’d have much closer price ranges, and the 720 is the faster car period! Drawback to daily driving an exotic is people want to be up in your business while driving and it can be distracting if not at times dangerous. It’s perceived as “arrogance” by many people when an exotic driver try’s to elude fender lizards or kids wanting selfies or videos driving down the road, when in reality the driver is just trying to get somewhere.

I love the “overpriced euro imports” comments because they’re narrow minded in regards to build materials and importing a car from the other side of the world costs. I have owned said cars and each cost what they cost for a reason, trust me. Not looking for an argument, just offering a different perspective.

All things being said, the ZR1 is a wonderful car, very high performer, but let’s get real... it’s not a bargain car regardless of which brand you’re comparing it to.

C7BB - I am not sure i agree that everyone wants their car to be the "best" or thinks its the best - maybe they do . I think it comes down to what do you want to do with it. I have not had the pleasure to drive a McLaren yet but if the 720 was about $50K cheaper I would have seriously considered it. It is killing everyone with performance and looks. It is crazy watching the 720 destroy everything. I was running a modified C7 ZO6 this spring at WGF Dallas . Running 175 MPH in the half. A stock 720 was right behind me at I think 173. Saw a 720 run 197 at the Texas Mile a few months ago. I also was not trying to bash exotics at all. As I stated I want a car that can be driven more comfortably ( within reason - sports cars here) . As the price on the 720 comes down I am sure I will check it out. If it is relatively quiet and tame in "street" mode i may need one. I also agree the ZR1 is not the best bargain compared to the ZO6. One of the guys said he would prefer the Huracan but only drive on special occasions to keep it special. for $215K for a used one i will be driving it more often. That's my opinion only. I am sure there are a lot of guys on here who feel exactly opposite. I buy them to drive them. I don't track them so most of my enjoyment is driving where I need to go. I could easily get by with the ZO6 , but in a standing mile you will get about 175mph out of a stock ZO6. The guys from Car and Driver hit 190 on a standing mile with a stock ZR1. Just coming out of a modded car I wanted as much performance as I can get and be able to have the car serviced at the dealer ( no Mods) . 190 in a stock car is cooking for this price point. 197 is better but cost $300K. I personally think almost all cars are cool in their own way. I am glad we are living in a time where you can go buy a 750hp plus stock car. that is awesome. I am also glad we have so many choices that lead to so many debates. As far as the front end of the ZR1 looking like a catfish I was put off by it to start with but liking it more all of the time. Maybe its only a face a mother could love.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Anyone who would make an excuse for the front end appearance of a ZR1 has never looked at a 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
duanesZ06 (06-03-2019), FringbirdAloha (06-04-2019)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:59 AM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone who would make an excuse for the front end appearance of a ZR1 has never looked at a 911.
That too, is a matter of opinion. Especially since I’ve owned a 911 Turbo S.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:54 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you talking about waxers and polishers that only drive on fair weekend days? Which, BTW, there is nothing wrong with that. However, if you are talking about us owners that love to track our vehicles to the limit, we find great beauty in CF panels that lighten weight, plenty of cooler openings to keep things in check, big wings to provide plenty of aero and huge, ugly brakes to enable stopping on a dime (60-0 in 88'). Yeah, we find great beauty in the function of the total design of the ZR1! Personally, I believe the design and engineering folks were trying to satisfy us track junkies more than the waxer folks. I admire and love the way they succeeded!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by SouthernSon:
FringbirdAloha (06-04-2019), fruitsalad (12-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To R&T says ZR1 bests McLaren Senna!

Old 12-16-2018, 01:26 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by C7BB

That too, is a matter of opinion. Especially since I’ve owned a 911 Turbo S.
Yes, have owned a couple 911s also but back in the day when they were REALLY ugly. Turbo 911s with all the scoops, wide body, tail, etc.,doesn't come off like a jacked up Punch Buggy.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Last edited by TARANTULA; 12-16-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA

I was lucky not to have been hurt by a 911. The 4th time my last one swapped ends on me was enough to convince me it was time to part with that albatross.

Quick Reply: R&T says ZR1 bests McLaren Senna!