C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What's everyone's thoughts on the Sport Cup 2 tires for every day driving??

Old 12-23-2018, 02:07 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Default What's everyone's thoughts on the Sport Cup 2 tires for every day driving??

I'm trying to decide if I should order the Pilot Super Sport ZP tires. I'm not going to track my car but I was thinking if they will get better traction on the street I will leave the cup 2 tires on it.. I was actually impressed with the Sport ZP tires on my Z06 when it was stock.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I run Super Sports on the street and use my Cup 2’s for my track days. Have a second set of rims so switching is easy.

The Cup 2’s will not give you any noticeable improvement on the street (99% of the time) but will suck in the rain, sucking cooler weather and will deteriorate quickly (3,000 - 6,000 miles). The SS tires will excel on the street and are pretty good at the track as well, especially on damp track days.

Just my 2 cents worth.
The following 2 users liked this post by Questar:
2019 ZR1 (12-24-2018), Newton06 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Repo Pilot:
2019 ZR1 (12-24-2018), Newton06 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Questar is correct.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:28 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

Bad idea. Get them off for street use in my opinion. I didn’t like them on my C6 ZR1 for many of the reasons mentioned above.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:36 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Hmmmmm depends on weather. I love the Cups, but if you plan to do a lot of driving on temps below 45 or rain no. I’ve drove them in the cold just not stomping on it Super Sports can get away from you in the cold and rain too so don’t be lured into a false sense of security.
The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
2019 ZR1 (12-24-2018), Repo Pilot (12-25-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:26 AM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Michelin AS 3+ on second set of wheels for non track use. Although I am told Spring Mountian uses them in the track as well.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:15 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Thanks everyone!! I won't be driving in the rain or cold temps. I think I will just run them this summer then get the regular ones the following summer...
Old 12-24-2018, 07:52 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I had two sets of wheels with MPSSs on one set and SC2s on the other. Ran the SC2s in the dry summer. Did that for 2 years and gave up and sold the extra set of wheels and SCs. They simply pick up too much crap and ride to harshly compared to the MPSSs which themselves have complaints. So my recommendation would be go to the MPSS ZPs and keep or sell the SC2s.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

I am wondering how long it will take for Michelin to make the PS4S that fits the ZR1. I put them (oversized) on my C7 Z51 and they were fantastic tires. I can live without the run-flat. But I'm told the anti-skid system in the ZR does not respond well to oversized tires.

Has anyone tried these tires on a ZR?

Thanks

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 12-25-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The Cup2 tires will work fine in the rain when they are new but as the tread wears down they will be more likely to hydroplane when driving in hard rain storms. I took delivery of my Z06/Z07 on the last day of November and drove home from Raleigh, NC to Charlotte a distance of 167 miles. It was pouring rain all the way home with ambient temps in the mid 40s when I started and down to the low 40s by the time I got home. Not a single misstep from the tires. Put car in Weather Mode set cruise for 70 mph and drove home. Varied engine rpms along the way by shifting to different gears. I didn't get rid of the Cup2s until after I had 5500 miles and a couple of track days on them. Their tread depth was 2/32 in the major grooves and did give me some problems in heavy rain so I sold them to a buddy who wanted to use them on the track. I have been using the PSS ZPs since then.

As for the PS4S there is no indication they reach the same or better performance level of the PSS ZP since they don't have the same rubber compound as the PSS ZP. Michelin states they are better than the PSS based on the rubber compound but the PSS ZP doesn't have the same compound as the PSS. I seriously doubt the PSS ZP has less performance potential than the PS4S. To somebody who doesn't come close to the performance limits of a tire the difference in handling may not be all that obvious.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
2019 ZR1 (12-26-2018), DebRedZR1 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
T. Michelin states they are better than the PSS based on the rubber compound but the PSS ZP doesn't have the same compound as the PSS. I seriously doubt the PSS ZP has less performance potential than the PS4S. To somebody who doesn't come close to the performance limits of a tire the difference in handling may not be all that obvious.
Bill
Hey Bill, I can only tell you from my experience with them was that the PS4S on my C7-Z51 rode and tracked a whole lot better than the factory ZP's and under-steered less (wheel angle) than the original ZP's did plus seemed to handle more power sooner on exit than the factory ZP's did.

Maybe you don't know that the ZR does not have a weather mode available like your Z06/07 does - but I did love it on the Z51 driving through Florida Torments leaving standing water of an inch plus on the road. And then there are those transitions after the torments from damp asphalt roadways to concrete overpasses with standing water that had not drained off ... another situation I would rather not be in with Cup 2's for shoes.

My question was really about using one-size up tires on the ZR and going to the PS4S. About whether it would mess up the anti-skid or any other system that use revolutions/per/mile as a calculation.

All the best...
Old 12-26-2018, 10:26 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

The more I drive the more I am loving these Cups Have not experienced rain but lots of cold in Michigan. No weather mode in ZR but I rarely used it in the Z. Drive for the conditions of the road ...
The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
2019 ZR1 (12-26-2018), IZR1 (06-05-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

I have about six years of experience with the original Cup and now the Cup 2 on our 2012 ZO6/ZO7.

They offer a significant improvement in traction on dry roads as long as the ambient temp is over 60°F. Below they began to suck and below 40° they really suck. In the wet, they are like racing on a wet track on a set of intermediates. On the highway in the wet, during anything more than light rain, slow down and stay out of standing water.

As for tread life, in both cases, my first set of Cups and my current Cup2s, I've been more than satisfied with the longevity of Cup tires.

There have been times, like the 2014 Corvette Caravan and my recent trip from Michigan to California, where I've had PS2s on the car.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 12-26-2018 at 05:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
2019 ZR1 (12-26-2018), DebRedZR1 (12-31-2018), Repo Pilot (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
On the highway in the wet, during anything more than light rain, slow down and stay out of standing water.

There have been times, like the 2014 Corvette Caravan and my recent trip from Michigan to California, where I've had PS2s on the car.
What I said Hib - If you are driving somewhere where the temperature might be 50 or below or there is a chance of you encountering more than a light drizzle or where water may accumulate on the pavement (especially concrete) then you are asking for a tour of the countryside or unintentionally meeting a solid object of some kind.

Whether I'm driving 700,000 pounds worth of airplane or my ZR1 or my 300+ HP turbo FXR, I don't take those kind of chances with my skin or my equipment. If you are going out for a track day have your cups on a separate set of wheels. Remember we just had one of the best drivers on this forum depart the track and total his ZR because his tires weren't up to temperature...and they weren't even the cup2's nor was he going that fast.

I'm just just sayin I'm personally not going to risk my Irish *** or the loss of my ZR1 because I didn't want to spend 1500 bucks on tires.

Good luck and happy landings

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 12-26-2018 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2019 ZR1 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 07:03 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Hmmmmm depends on weather. I love the Cups, but if you plan to do a lot of driving on temps below 45 or rain no. I’ve drove them in the cold just not stomping on it Super Sports can get away from you in the cold and rain too so don’t be lured into a false sense of security.
Exactly!! Both will absolutely sucks below 50, and will be dangerous in rains,2 cups being a lil worse because of the semi slick style!!
The following users liked this post:
2019 ZR1 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
What I said Hib - If you are driving somewhere where the temperature might be 50 or below or there is a chance of you encountering more than a light drizzle or where water may accumulate on the pavement (especially concrete) then you are asking for a tour of the countryside or unintentionally meeting a solid object of some kind.

Whether I'm driving 700,000 pounds worth of airplane or my ZR1 or my 300+ HP turbo FXR, I don't take those kind of chances with my skin or my equipment. If you are going out for a track day have your cups on a separate set of wheels. Remember we just had one of the best drivers on this forum depart the track and total his ZR because his tires weren't up to temperature...and they weren't even the cup2's nor was he going that fast.
If he tried to "go fast" before the tires were up to temperature, they he screwed up. That's a pretty big mistake for one of the "best drivers" on this forum to make. Amongst the racers I know, the talented and experienced ones can tell, before they do a hot lap, whether or not their tires are up to temperature.

I'm just just sayin I'm personally not going to risk my Irish *** or the loss of my ZR1 because I didn't want to spend 1500 bucks on tires.

Good luck and happy landings
I'll leave the "landings" to you aviators.

Get notified of new replies

To What's everyone's thoughts on the Sport Cup 2 tires for every day driving??

Old 12-30-2018, 07:30 PM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
If he tried to "go fast" before the tires were up to temperature, they he screwed up. That's a pretty big mistake for one of the "best drivers" on this forum to make. Amongst the racers I know, the talented and experienced ones can tell, before they do a hot lap, whether or not their tires are up to temperature.
Wow. A bit harsh. I hope it never happens to you. Did you happen to watch the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta this year? It can happen to anyone.

Garcia admits to “most embarrassing mistake of my career”
Old 12-31-2018, 09:08 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by grandsport2017
Wow. A bit harsh. I hope it never happens to you. Did you happen to watch the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta this year? It can happen to anyone.

Ridiculous comment, it CAN happen to anyone. I lost two friends this year and several others have had incidents with their cars. Things happen. Don't forget the Detroit Grand Prix either ....................
Old 01-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by grandsport2017
Like I said above, those kinds of incidents on cold tires are driver errors. In that article, Garcia even admits he screwed up.

As for Mark Ruess wrecking that ZR-1 at Detroit, after-the-fact, he, also, admitted he screwed up. Of course, now that he's President of GM, I guess he can wreck as many ZR-1s as he wants, eh?

My points about running Cup tires on the street are: Know the risks. Understand the feel of the car. Don't accelerate aggressively if you know the road and the tires are cold. I've run Cups on my C6 ZO6 most of the time since I bought it in 2012 including a recently concluded run from my place in California to St. George Utah and back. In both Las Vegas and St. George, I departed in the early morning in 38-42-deg ambient. Didn't spin out because I wasn't driving like I was exiting the pits at Atlanta or exiting a hairpin turn on the street course at Belle Isle.

Yesterday I was out doing some test runs with some different cals I was putting in my ZO6's PCM. I needed to look at KR at high rpm. Because it was only about 62° outside, first gear was useless. The car wanted to spin the tires in second, too. So, I way-short-shifted to third and, at 1500-rpm squeezed on the power until I was WOT at about 3000-rpm. I could feel the rear wheels were right on the verge of spinning. Ran the engine all the way to 6800. Saw a bit of KR as I went through peak torque. To see that with a 62° ambient means I need to dial the spark back just a scosh.

Back in 2012, after we bought the car in Pennsylvania, we drove down to the Corvette Museum for a 2014 Caravan meeting. Headed for California, on the second day , headed west on 40, we drove though a rainstorm. The precipitation rate was "fairly heavy" and we had to slow to 40-45-mph to stop the hydroplaning–which was pretty easy to feel. Admittedly, during that wet drive the tires were virtually new. Once they wear a bit, I agree with what Bill Dearborn says in his post above.

As for ZR-1s on Cup 2s, you just gotta remember that car does not have a "weather mode" so you have to rely on the "standard" modes of TCS and SES "help" in wet weather. Bottom line: I'd be ok with Cup tires on a ZR-1 as long as I avoid driving in heavy rain or anytime there's snow/ice forecast. If I had to plan for that type of driving, I'd switch to PS2s and slow down.

In fact, here's my car back in mid-November 2018 at 11,000 feet on I-70 in Colorado. The west-bound exit of the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel is in the background and, yes, for this Caravan rerun trip, we had PS2s on the car.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 01-03-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's everyone's thoughts on the Sport Cup 2 tires for every day driving??