C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Differences washing ZR1 and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 04:48 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Amazing how some of us have made it through life without "decontaminating" our cars.
well then, using that logic then there is no need to wash your vehicle then is there.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

So you spend all this time writing down the differences and then don't post the pictures after the washes.....fail....lol
Old 12-24-2018, 05:19 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
So you spend all this time writing down the differences and then don't post the pictures after the washes.....fail....lol
Richard,

I suppose I could have posted about 30 pics of the actual techniques used during the washes. I thought that might be a little tedious though since this is a “differences” thread and not a “how-to” thread.

I’m happy to post pics of the “after” state of both cars. However that will just show two kick-*** apex predator Corvettes with tremendous shine and reflectivity. It really will not help though for discussing the differences encountered while washing, drying and detailing the two cars.

Would you you like me to write up a how-to thread with lots of pictures on proper washing techniques for these cars? Maybe a full length motion picture?
Old 12-24-2018, 05:29 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

well then, using that logic then there is no need to wash your vehicle then is there.
I wash my cars on a very regular basis followed by a once over with pink Adams Detail Spray, works fantastic. My cars look like new pretty much all of the time and I have never had to do any extensive decontaminating and don't see any need for all of that.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:54 PM
intensifi
Pro

I wash my cars on a very regular basis followed by a once over with pink Adams Detail Spray, works fantastic. My cars look like new pretty much all of the time and I have never had to do any extensive decontaminating and don't see any need for all of that.
After you next wash and detail spray, take a plastic sandwich bag and put your fingers in it. Lightly move your fingers over the surface of the hood. Let us know if you feel bumps while doing this. Same goes for the glass. If you feel bumps you have contamination.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:58 PM
MMD
Safety Car

You can wash your car 3 times very thoroughly but if you do not clay I guarantee there is still crude on your paint. I have done this. Clay properly and you will actually see particles the clay bar picks up. You can feel it in the clay when you kneed it. Also, a regular wash does not wash away tree sap. I have washed cars and afterward I can still feel the tree sap on the paint surface with my hand. If you do not get rid of the sap it will eventually harden and cause spots on your paint. Putting a wax coat over these contaniments do nothing but mask these defects. 99.9% of professional detailers use iron and mechanical decontanmenation. You think they are all wrong? How about opening your mind to learning something from the pros. Don't be so thick headed.
The following 2 users liked this post by MMD:
intensifi (12-24-2018), Rodbuster56 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 06:13 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by MMD

You can wash your car 3 times very thoroughly but if you do not clay I guarantee there is still crude on your paint. I have done this. Clay properly and you will actually see particles the clay bar picks up. You can feel it in the clay when you kneed it. Also, a regular wash does not wash away tree sap. I have washed cars and afterward I can still feel the tree sap on the paint surface with my hand. If you do not get rid of the sap it will eventually harden and cause spots on your paint. Putting a wax coat over these contaniments do nothing but mask these defects. 99.9% of professional detailers use iron and mechanical decontanmenation. You think they are all wrong? How about opening your mind to learning something from the pros. Don't be so thick headed.
I guess I'm not anywhere near the perfectionist that some of you guys are. My cars look absolutely fantastic with regular washing and detail spray. If they weren't looking showroom or better I might consider some of this "decontamination" business but absolutely no need for any of it as none of my cars are black. Quite honestly life is a little too short to worry about some microscopic crap in your clear coat.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:30 PM
MMD
Safety Car

I guess I'm not anywhere near the perfectionist that some of you guys are. My cars look absolutely fantastic with regular washing and detail spray. If they weren't looking showroom or better I might consider some of this "decontamination" business but absolutely no need for any of it as none of my cars are black. Quite honestly life is a little too short to worry about some microscopic crap in your clear coat.
OK, since you don't decontaminate then this is what's on your paint. If you keep your car long enough it will eventually degrade the paint. I promise you, you have this stuff beneath your wax right now. The clay shows the crud after a good wash The red streaks in the other pic is from iron particles in the air that imbed in the paint surface. Your car has this iron also. You can't wash it off. It comes from brake pads, yours and other vehicles on the road.

The following users liked this post:
intensifi (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 07:03 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

What is "paint decontamination"?
To fully understand paint decontamination - the next time you wash your car and you feel it is clean and as perfect as you can get it, take a plastic bag, put your hand in it, and gently run it across your paints surface. All those little bumps and scratching sound you hear are the contaminants everyone is mentioning. You'll be surprised what is left after a good washing with a quality soap and mitt.

Check out youtube for some informative videos.

Yes, it's an extra step for us perfectionists (two bucket method, grit guards, microfiber, etc). Yet, the results yield an insanely deeper, wetter, more glossy paint.
intensifi (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 07:26 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

You know what....everyone has their level of car upkeep. I encourage you all to do the "sandwich bag test". It's a very telltale exercise.

But what I find disheartening is that people who don't want to do the more extensive steps are just blowing off the ones who do it as a non-worthwhile venture.

If you don't want to go thru extensive steps....fine. But don't discount others who do.
The following 9 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
06nine (12-24-2018), B-Reiter (12-26-2018), D'ZR1 Messiah (12-25-2018), intensifi (12-24-2018), jimmyb (01-02-2019), Joe_Joe (12-27-2018), RGT (12-26-2018), Rodbuster56 (12-28-2018), tractman (12-28-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-24-2018, 07:39 PM
GrapemanZR1
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
You know what....everyone has their level of car upkeep. I encourage you all to do the "sandwich bag test". It's a very telltale exercise.

But what I find disheartening is that people who don't want to do the more extensive steps are just blowing off the ones who do it as a non-worthwhile venture.

If you don't want to go thru extensive steps....fine. But don't discount others who do.
Even more so. Making fun of those who do. I am not that hard core, but I applaud those who are! We have enough negativity in this world. No need to add to it here. Merry Christmas all!
The following 4 users liked this post by GrapemanZR1:
intensifi (12-24-2018), MMD (12-26-2018), Steve Garrett (12-25-2018), tractman (12-28-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Garret
Race Director

Originally Posted by intensifi

Richard,

I suppose I could have posted about 30 pics of the actual techniques used during the washes. I thought that might be a little tedious though since this is a “differences” thread and not a “how-to” thread.

I’m happy to post pics of the “after” state of both cars. However that will just show two kick-*** apex predator Corvettes with tremendous shine and reflectivity. It really will not help though for discussing the differences encountered while washing, drying and detailing the two cars.

Would you you like me to write up a how-to thread with lots of pictures on proper washing techniques for these cars? Maybe a full length motion picture?
I just thought one would like to show their work after such effort, but it seems like you would just prefer to tell us tell us how different if was to wash and dry cars...whatev....
Old 12-25-2018, 02:09 AM
intensifi
Pro

Originally Posted by Garret
I just thought one would like to show their work after such effort, but it seems like you would just prefer to tell us tell us how different if was to wash and dry cars...whatev....
And the name of this thread is ...
Old 12-25-2018, 02:26 AM
Garret
Race Director

Originally Posted by intensifi

And the name of this thread is ...
yep..whatever dude....
Old 12-25-2018, 08:53 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Been washing and waxing cars, boats, and motorcycles for close to 50 years with fabulous results, never knew that I had it all wrong. Too bad I can't go back and "decontaminate" them all. LOL!
Old 12-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Alright....we've sunk to a LOT of negativity here. Either we keep it on the "up and up" and get back on topic or I can just close the thread.

I'll also let you guys know that I'm getting quite a few Report Posts about all the negativity about a couple specific members in this thread. It's Christmas....again, no one is wrong here. But EVERYONE can still learn from others.....
The following 5 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
DebRedZR1 (12-25-2018), GrapemanZR1 (12-25-2018), intensifi (12-25-2018), MustOBeenYellow2015Z (12-29-2018), Repo Pilot (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 01:27 AM
DARTH VETTER
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by grapemanzr1
you hate these cars, they're ugly, everyone who buys one at msrp is dumb, and this poor guy who dares to share his passion for maintaining his car is a toad. What gives? Were you beaten as a child? No doubt, you're going to get a lump of coal tomorrow.
lmao

Last edited by DARTH VETTER; 12-26-2018 at 01:27 AM.
intensifi (12-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Differences washing ZR1 and Z06

Old 12-26-2018, 10:08 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

For those that would like to learn how to get the best surface look of your paint follow the advice offered by those on this thread for proper paint treatment. That includes clay barring the surface to decontaminate the paint surface first. You don't have to do this every time you polish the car (I use zaino). I am not a weekend waxer as such. I drive my vettes in the rain, occasional snow and ice and have even hit a gravel drive here and there. I have a sandblasted windshield on my track Z06 but I still like to clean it up correctly. I flood water from top to bottom. I use the correct mitt for the top portions of the car and another for the bottom panels. I use another for the wheels. I use a good car wash detergent. I use a bucket with grit barrier in bottom. If you take the time to do it you may as well do it correctly. At one time I had three high mileage black vehicles and they all looked great even with the sun shining directly on them. No brillo pad scratched paint look on any of them.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 12-26-2018 at 10:09 AM.
intensifi (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:54 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
For those that would like to learn how to get the best surface look of your paint follow the advice offered by those on this thread for proper paint treatment. That includes clay barring the surface to decontaminate the paint surface first. You don't have to do this every time you polish the car (I use zaino). I am not a weekend waxer as such. I drive my vettes in the rain, occasional snow and ice and have even hit a gravel drive here and there. I have a sandblasted windshield on my track Z06 but I still like to clean it up correctly. I flood water from top to bottom. I use the correct mitt for the top portions of the car and another for the bottom panels. I use another for the wheels. I use a good car wash detergent. I use a bucket with grit barrier in bottom. If you take the time to do it you may as well do it correctly. At one time I had three high mileage black vehicles and they all looked great even with the sun shining directly on them. No brillo pad scratched paint look on any of them.
Yeah, I think we get it at this point. You know more about washing a car than the rest of us. Good for you. I doubt if there are many of here who need to be told how to wash a car. One does NOT need a clay bar, ceramic coating or any one of the hundreds of products that are currently marketed in this arena.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:05 AM
MMD
Safety Car

The following 3 users liked this post by MMD:
intensifi (12-26-2018), ROBWILKER (01-14-2019), SouthernSon (12-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Differences washing ZR1 and Z06