C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Differences washing ZR1 and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:05 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by punky
Yeah, I think we get it at this point. You know more about washing a car than the rest of us. Good for you. I doubt if there are many of here who need to be told how to wash a car. One does NOT need a clay bar, ceramic coating or any one of the hundreds of products that are currently marketed in this arena.
No ONE needs your constant negative comments. Their cars, THEIR choice of what to use or not use/do
The following 3 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
MustOBeenYellow2015Z (12-29-2018), Repo Pilot (12-26-2018), Rodbuster56 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:17 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
No ONE needs your constant negative comments. Their cars, THEIR choice of what to use or not use/do
I know how to care for my cars. They look FANTASTIC and I don't do any of this extensive surface treatment. Is the gentleman who is preaching the clay bar etc. and telling me that I don't know what I am doing not negative?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:22 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

I know how to care for my cars. They look FANTASTIC and I don't do any of this extensive surface treatment. Is the gentleman who is preaching the clay bar etc. and telling me that I don't know what I am doing not negative?
That's fantastic your vehicles look fantastic. Every owner has a different preference, let's respect that and not take things so personal. Pretty sure the OP didn't mean for this to become a "how to/methods of detailing" debate.
The following 3 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
intensifi (12-26-2018), Joe_Joe (12-27-2018), Steve Garrett (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:41 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Yeah, I think we get it at this point. You know more about washing a car than the rest of us. Good for you. I doubt if there are many of here who need to be told how to wash a car. One does NOT need a clay bar, ceramic coating or any one of the hundreds of products that are currently marketed in this arena.
There is a difference between washing and detailing a car. I'm not an expert and I don't really detail my car, but sure can tell the difference.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:47 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Folks. Enough already!

I had a neighbor at my old house with exotics. I used to ask him if he wanted me to correct the paint on his cars. He said no way! They were perfect in his opinion.

Then he came over one day after having Lasik done. He asked me to correct the paint. He hated the swirls he could now see.

So allowing for potential vision issues, I suggest everyone try the plastic sandwich bag test. The plastic bag will let you feel the contamination you may not be able to see (not the swirls though) and it protects the surface and you from skin oil, dried mucus and fecal matter.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by intensifi; 12-26-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:54 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by intensifi
Folks. Enough already!

I had a neighbor at my old house with exotics. I used to ask him if he wanted me to correct the paint on his cars. He said no way! They were perfect in his opinion.

Then he came over one day after having Lasik done. He asked me to correct the paint. He hated the swirls he could now see.

So allowing for potential vision issues, I suggest everyone try the plastic sandwich bag test. The plastic bag will let you feel the contamination you may not be able to see (not the swirls though) and it protects the surface and you from skin oil, dried mucus and fecal matter.

Have a nice day.
Oh, OK, "enough already". Obviously that is in the event that the OCD squad has the last word. Plastic bag test? Indeed. Life is waaaaay to short for that stuff..
Old 12-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

punky, please post pictures of your car in direct sunlight. Maybe I can learn something from you. Also, please post pictures of your car close up. I'd love to see how your car looks.

Thanks in advance for posting pictures and close ups.....
The following 7 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
CorsoZ06 (12-26-2018), DebRedZR1 (12-26-2018), intensifi (12-26-2018), Repo Pilot (12-26-2018), rob62 (12-26-2018), Rodbuster56 (12-28-2018), USMC 0802 (12-26-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-26-2018, 07:20 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Sorry sold it a few months ago. I should have a few pics on my phone or other computer. It was Shark Grey and not a tough one to care for. Once a week or so with a good dose of detail spray and it was gorgeous. Anyone who washes regulary and uses Adams Detail Spray after each knows that it is hardly necessary to slave over a finish.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:28 PM
intensifi
Pro

Sorry sold it a few months ago. I should have a few pics on my phone or other computer. It was Shark Grey and not a tough one to care for. Once a week or so with a good dose of detail spray and it was gorgeous. Anyone who washes regulary and uses Adams Detail Spray after each knows that it is hardly necessary to slave over a finish.
So you don’t even own a Corvette?
Old 12-26-2018, 07:41 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

So you don’t even own a Corvette?
It isn't so much his lacking of a corvette that concerns me. just sayin'....
Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

You mean that you're a Troll on the CF??? Do you work at Adam's too? That explains it.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

So what do you drive now?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:54 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I washed and detailed the ‘16 Z06 and ‘19 ZR1 back-to-back today.

Differences noted:

1) ZR1 wheel faces are much easier to wash. Full stop. Way easier!
2) Can’t use mitt on wheel barrels on ZR1. Not even the rears. Had to use Micro fiber towel. The CCB rotors are just too big to get a mitt in there.
3) Carbon ceramic brakes are much cleaner. I did not have to rinse the wheel face mitt or barrel towel between wheels on ZR1. I had to rinse for each wheel on Z06 (Iron brakes).
4) No need to clean rust off rotors post wash on ZR1

5a) ZR1 front fender side vents are much easier to wash. Z06 has way more detailed areas in side vents.
5b) Same for front grill on ZR1. Much easier.

6) I reserve a mitt for upper and lower surfaces on Z06 (and Camaro). With all the carbon fiber down low, the ZR1 gets upper surface mitt on all areas.

7) Z06 gets small rocks lodged into gap between spoiler and rear deck. This is not an issue on ZR1. I use a dental pick to get them out of the Z06 gap.

8) New paint plant on ‘19s is nice. That said, ‘16 Z06 paint is not noticably different after decontamination and proper coating.

9) Drying the ZR1 is easier with my Stihl leaf blower (filter on intake). The surfaces are simpler and the carbon fiber is slicker than carbon flash paint on Z06.

The ZR1 is an easier car to wash. However for the money, the ZR1 should really come decontamined (iron partcles removed and clayed) and finally ceramic coated from the factory. Ceramic coating makes it so much easier to wash and dry a properly prepared surface. Right now the Z06 surface runs circles around the ZR1. In the next few days I will prep and ceramic coat the ZR1. This is probably a 6 hour job. After that I’m thinking the paint cleaning will be a push. ZR1 will win overall contest (and time) because of the wheels.

Other observations:

a) ZR1 needs carbon fiber mirrors, rear brake inlets and tail light bezels (Ben @ weaponX are you listening?).
b) Wondering why no factory spats on ZR1.
c) ZR1 needs mud flaps. Carbon Fiber? I see ACS sells them (non CF), but the price ...
d) Would like to see stripe kit for ZR1. Carbon flash stripes really finish the shark grey Z06. Watkins Glen grey ZR1 would be enhanced as well.
great conversation when trying to impress a lady on a first date. Panties will drop.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

You mean that you're a Troll on the CF??? Do you work at Adam's too? That explains it.
LMAO M-Doc...

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 12-26-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:18 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell

The following 4 users liked this post by MMD:
DebRedZR1 (12-27-2018), intensifi (12-27-2018), Rodbuster56 (12-28-2018), Steve Garrett (12-26-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 AM
intensifi
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
great conversation when trying to impress a lady on a first date. Panties will drop.
Really? That’s the best comment you can come up with? Try again.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Negative, sounds like your paint has not been protected and even improper use of any of that can cause swirling. Shark Grey and other Grey colors from manufacturer's hide swirling well.

Also, hopefully cars do not come coated from the factory, that would put many guys out of a job or out of the biggest money maker they have. I usually only do coatings nowadays.

Get notified of new replies

To Differences washing ZR1 and Z06

Old 12-27-2018, 08:25 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default No Washing

Well as I read through this thread I debated posting this because it will cause some controversy and maybe most of you won’t read it, because I don’t own a ZR1, just a C6 Z07, however I shudder when I think of all the folks washing their Corvettes with soap/cleaner and water. I have had a few debates with the Adams folks in the Detailing section because they are the “authority” and are giving out mis-information.

Water is the enemy of your Corvette and not necessary, of course that brings in another subject, that no Corvettes should be driven in the Winter, in the extreme cold or in the rain for that matter. A good waterless wash product is all that is necessary, put your hoses away, use them on your daily drivers. I agree with clay bar, paint correction via buffer, wet sanding, etc and of course polish and ceramic coatings. Water and all it’s variations of “soap” products is out! And just for a frame of reference, I have been detailing and showing cars and Corvettes since I was 16, and I am 64 now. I currently own a C5 ‘vert that has won 3 NCCC Concourse judged shows in the past 5 years and been a show winner in Vettes on the Rockies 3 years in a row. My C6 Z07 has won two best of shows in the same period, but I race it more than show it. And don’t let me get started about washing your engine bay, just don’t do it.

Anyway if anyone is interested I would be happy to discuss with you offline, just PM me and I will share some information and techniques with you...please just do not wash your Corvette.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:14 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I tend to jump in and out of Corvettes with regularity Steve. The Z06 that I sold was my 10th and all were super clean, very well maintained, garage kept, virtually indistinguishable from showroom new, regularly driven, but not obsessed over. Currently I have a 2017 ATS 3.6L AWD Coupe and a 2018 RX350. Both of these vehicles are a metallic tone white and very simple to maintain in beautiful condition with simple hand washing and detail spray after. I'm not going to bore anyone here with my technique as I think just about any guy already knows how to wash a car. To the fellows here who seem to take issue with someone who dares to voice an opinion about Corvettes but does not currently have one in his garage I can tell them I am currently in the process of acquiring my 11th Corvette which will be a C7, M7, Z06.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:36 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Really? That’s the best comment you can come up with? Try again.
I recited the “washing a zr1 versus z06” soliloquy Verbatim as you described above to a hooters waitress and she said she wants to meet you. Her headlights started perking up.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-27-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Differences washing ZR1 and Z06