C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Are driving shoes worth having?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:17 PM
LesR
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Are driving shoes worth having?

I知 a rookie lapping track and Autocross recreational enthusiast and not a candidate for rookie of the year! I知 R8C a ZR1 on May 4th.

Jenifer was able to register me for the Ron Fellows ZR1 school in mid-May on our drive back to Gig Harbor, Washington. The school confirmation recommends $135 Pilotti driving shoes. They do have a very cool Corvette logo on the side! Previously, I致e noticed some drivers at the Ridge Motorsport and the Aloha stadium autocross wearing driving shoes. Consider me doubtful they will allow me to drive $135 faster... Maybe I値l all a Novistretch mask over the Xpel PPF instead?

what do you think? What makes the shoes special and therefore worth having?

Les

Old 12-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

For the average guy who drives his car on the street they will look cool. I seriously doubt the average guy will get faster lap times or quarter mile times by wearing these shoes instead of nikes or reeboks. Id buy them just for the look. Just like a corvette t shirt, jacket, mug or wall clock.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-28-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:26 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

You only really need a flat bottomed comfortable shoe with a fairly rigid sole. No matter the brand, etc. That being said I致e got a set of Oakley driving shoes that I致e used for a couple of years for the advantages above.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:29 PM
RedRay
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a set of Puma sneakers; make great driving shoes and are much cheaper. You need to go up at least one size as they run small. Something like this https://us.puma.com/en/us/pd/drift-c...20Black-Silver. Wear my all the time to car shows or just out for a joy ride

The following 2 users liked this post by RedRay:
thebishman (12-29-2018), WICKEDFRC (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by RedRay
Get a set of Puma sneakers; make great driving shoes and are much cheaper. You need to go up at least one size as they run small. Something like this https://us.puma.com/en/us/pd/drift-c...20Black-Silver. Wear my all the time to car shows or just out for a joy ride
These are great, I have a pair of Puma Futurecats that I use when I am racing. If you have a larger foot (I wear a 12) driving the car and heel toeing can become difficult. Even just moving from gas to brake I found my regular tennis shoes would some times catch a pedal I did not intend. With a good driving shoe, this has never once happened. Just cruising around on the street, probably not necessary.

Last edited by fleming23; 12-28-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:09 PM
GrapemanZR1
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
These are great, I have a pair of Puma Futurecats that I use when I am racing. If you have a larger foot (I wear a 12) driving the car and heel toeing can become difficult. Even just moving from gas to brake I found my regular tennis shoes would some times catch a pedal I did not intend. With a good driving shoe, this has never once happened. Just cruising around on the street, probably not necessary.
I use Pumas as well. What you don't want is a wide sole (like a waffle-style running shoe). As mentioned above, sometimes you can catch a wrong peddle and that's no fun in the middle of downshifts. Pumas are very narrow and work great.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:25 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Simply put,Yes for track days.For street,no.
\db2
Old 12-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I stopped wearing driving shoes a couple of years ago and went back to a Nike Walking Shoe. Driving shoes have thin soles to provide a feel for the pedals but they are uncomfortable to wear if you spend long periods of time on your feet while at the track. With the C7 and active rev match I don't really feel the need to feel the pedals like is necessary to do heel/toe. Besides the Nike's are one hell of a lot more comfortable when walking around the paddock. I haven't had a problem with the tread of the shoe catching on the pedals or getting my foot on more than one pedal at a time.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
DebRedZR1 (12-29-2018), SouthernSon (06-23-2021), Varmit (12-31-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 05:43 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by LesR
I知 a rookie lapping track and Autocross recreational enthusiast and not a candidate for rookie of the year! I知 R8C a ZR1 on May 4th.

Jenifer was able to register me for the Ron Fellows ZR1 school in mid-May on our drive back to Gig Harbor, Washington. The school confirmation recommends $135 Pilotti driving shoes. They do have a very cool Corvette logo on the side! Previously, I致e noticed some drivers at the Ridge Motorsport and the Aloha stadium autocross wearing driving shoes. Consider me doubtful they will allow me to drive $135 faster... Maybe I値l all a Novistretch mask over the Xpel PPF instead?
Les
The thin sole allows you to feel the pedals better (especially the brake pedal), but your feet will tire standing in them all day. How did you get a TPW so far out?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I recall a discussion that, I believe Matt Farah had with Johnny Lieberman. One of them was all about their Pilotis until they showed up to an event with actual racing drivers, including Randy Pobst and Justin Bell, who were all wearing Converse All Stars.

Last edited by 4GS7; 12-28-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

i've got a big heavy size 12 and the cheapo summit drag racing shoes were cheaper than tennis shoes and very thn soles do indeed make for better pedal feel and I don't get my feet tangled as ez

plus they are high top which gives me better ankle support for clutch
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I'm also a fan of the Pumas and have been wearing these when I drive on track. They are basically the same as their driving shoes but with velcro because I'm too lazy to tie shoelaces several times a day.
Amazon Amazon

When I come off track I put on a set of slip on walking shoes until it's time to put my helmet and other shoes back on.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:49 AM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Some High speed events require driving shoes because of the the fire rating. Only reason I own a pair. Needed for over 200 MPH at the Texas Mile and ECTA if I remember correctly. When not required I wear my regular sneakers. Verify they are a recommendation and not required.
The following users liked this post:
SouthernSon (06-23-2021)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Scudz
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 192 Posts

I知 not a track driver but did take advantage of my discounted admittance to Ron Fellows last spring. I did not buy the driving shoes for my size 10-11 feet. I used some flat bottom tennis shoes. During some of the driving sessions, on a few occasions, my feet felt clumsy to me and had my right foot on the brake and gas pedal at the same time driving the automatic. At those instances, it felt like I was wearing work boots. Back then I wondered if the driving shoes would have made a difference and I think they would have. I could not justify buying them, but if I were to track my car, I would buy a pair based on my experience.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I roll race, standing Mile and 1/2 Mile and use the G-Force 236 Pro Series; it’s a 3/4 shoe, nice Velcro cover strap and very comfortable, light and reasonably priced.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Puma is a price leader.
Are they worth it?

If you have a manual, heel & toeing, perhaps.
On a long drive, either auto or manual, with the rounded heels for comfort, perhaps.
For pedal feel, either auto or manual, with thin flexible soles, perhaps.
For C4 ownership and the need for fire proof clothing, perhaps (CFOT joke).

For standing and walking...NO

All FWIW good luck in your decision.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Puma is a price leader.
Are they worth it?

If you have a manual, heel & toeing, perhaps.
On a long drive, either auto or manual, with the rounded heels for comfort, perhaps.
For pedal feel, either auto or manual, with thin flexible soles, perhaps.
For C4 ownership and the need for fire proof clothing, perhaps (CFOT joke).

For standing and walking...NO

All FWIW good luck in your decision.
In a nutshell!

Get notified of new replies

To Are driving shoes worth having?

Old 12-29-2018, 10:58 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

It will be a personal thing, like wearing driving gloves. As a long time racer, I wear both for performance events because I have gotten used to the feel of racing shoes and gloves. If you are looking to get some race shoes and aren't into Corvette logos, Racequip or G-Force racing shoes are less expensive and have worked well for me.

My son finds that the Pilotti's wear out very quickly, he goes thru a pair about every six months, provided by the race team.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

One option to genuine racing shoes is wrestling shoes, available at sporting goods stores. Maybe Sports Authority. A lot cheaper, but probably not fire proof.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:36 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LesR

Les

Driving shoes are narrower with rounder heels and a firm sole. Piloti used to make a decent shoe but went bankrupt but was resurrected a few years ago. Several track guys use Puma, some use Converse. You can Google Piloti and other brands suggested hear.

Quick Reply: Are driving shoes worth having?