C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Your ZR1 and the new California Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
They did not change the law. They changed the penalty. Why is this so difficult to understand? I don't even live near California, and I get it.
Who are you referring to? Not sure what your point is...I agree. Although changing the penalty IS changing the law, but I get your point.

I'll add the biggest "change" is in the enforcement of the law (along with the mandatory fine of course). Because they are choosing to put so much attention into enforcing this law, there will be several people that get citations (right or wrong, modified or loud stock exhaust that they then have to prove) that wouldn't have as the law was previously written and enforced...

Last edited by Tort; 01-11-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJackman
As long as your exhaust is stock you have nothing to worry about , even if it’s loud
Well, they still can write you a ticket believing you have modified exhaust and being too loud and then it's just all the hassle to prove your case in court!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Tort
Nope. They'll just give you a ticket and let you deal with it. Guilty until proven innocent and all... You're right though, it's absolutely ridiculous and will be a massive waste of a lot of peoples time.
Sounds like the IRS. They charge you, lock your bank accounts, assess you with a bunch of insane fines and interest and it is up to you to hire a lawyer that can prove your innocence.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Good 'ole Jalopnik.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:40 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Sounds like the IRS. They charge you, lock your bank accounts, assess you with a bunch of insane fines and interest and it is up to you to hire a lawyer that can prove your innocence.
IRS seized over 900k from a gun store in Ga where I lived. One morning, owner and employees go in, zero'd out bank accts. He hires attorney immediately, IRS says appears "structuring" was in place, yet no charges. Over a year goes by, over 150k in legal fees, still no charges, full audit reveals nothing from IRS...so far they have given back approximately half of what was taken. It's called Clyde Armory...owner is a decorated veteran and took it all the way to testifying before Congress. This is where things are...

People get stopped and pay fines, or plead guilty without any form of due diligence. I worked for PD for 3 years and I can confirm 110% that you can beat 9 out of 10 traffic citations, within the boundary of law. 3 out of 4 Police officers I knew, frankly didn't know the law other than basic guidelines. They learned how to be cops from the guys in the street doin it and winning for 20yrs. You profile the car and its occupants, pull over upon basis of a myriad of slippery laws (terry v ohio, phantom seat belt violations, vehicle matching description, etc) then build the case once you're at the window. Most don't take it to court, but officers I worked with made 4hrs mandatory overtime per court case, as long as they didn't work 1st shift. So, basically, everyone with less seniority/less salary, could boost their income dramatically by writing citations and encouraging the driver to request a hearing where they'd "drop it to a 'x' violation". People didn't even have the mindset to fight the ticket...just plead guilty and get off cheaper with a "break".

I've seen it from the inside...and it's dirty as hell...I'll confirm that for everyone.
The following 4 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
iw172 (01-12-2019), Palantirion (01-12-2019), RGT (01-20-2019), SacCityCorvette (01-21-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I will also point out one more thing, many may have missed in the video. He stated they were operating on a grant to police that section of highway...i.e. supplemental funds from a source who wants to make a political impact, statistical impact, etc...but also generate revenue.

In my area where I worked, the state would send out two state cops "on loan" to work 3 days in each township. Their specialty was DOT violations/commercial vehicle code. The purpose was they'd come in, show the township how much revenue they'd generate for the courts/local EMS/PD/etc, then the state would pay for a grant to train the officers in DOT to boost "combating dangerous commercial vehicles". I'll acknowledge, there are legit issues with some garbage truck maintenance, some small landscapers...things that create a danger, but the bigger picture is these companies simply pay the bill and go on their way. It's taxation of the local population that sidesteps legislative changes. Convicting real criminals costs money, making criminals out of the innocent pays the bills.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
c6txvette (01-18-2019), Palantirion (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 776 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Nice summary!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 PM
BlueDevlZ06
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

You guys DO know that cops are paid and taught how to LIE to motorists, right?

Didn't know that. 27 years as a Motor cop and supervisor and I never received any of that training. Thank god for body and cycle cams.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:57 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm so glad California is 3000 miles <<< that way.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 AM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Here is a thought

As long as you your car is legal sound wise, and if you don't have stock exhaust, then carry a DB meter in the car along with a copy of the noise regulation and just offer to show the LEO that the car is legal?

Who knows might just work....
Old 01-19-2019, 08:44 AM
tipsyhemi
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

first half of the podcast is some one knowledgeable explaining both the law, the application to date, and how it puts owners in a strange scenario.

also, the 95dba rating is at 3000-5000rpm and off of load, incredibly loud. the issue isn't the law, the issue is how police officers apply it.
The following users liked this post:
Palantirion (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Palantirion
You guys DO know that cops are paid and taught how to LIE to motorists, right? I've been written up for a moving violation that didn't exist, and promptly had it thrown out by trial by written declaration. I've also been pulled over and told specifically that I would not have been had it not been for his quota - which is illegal under CA law. And that got thrown out. And 100% of red light cameras are illegal under CA law, but still exist. So if you are one of the few that fight a ticket from one it will be immediately thrown out in court to preserve the revenue from the others that don't fight.

Historically exhaust volume has been legislated on a municipal, not state, level. So until someone posts the actual law I'll call it fake news. Most likely that vid was from around Malibu, which is particularly draconian about moving violations. That's not a CA issue, it's a $ issue.

And as an aside to all of you who bitch about the state you no longer live in. What are you doing to make it better? Oh, yeah, nothing. You gave up your vote. Some of us are staying to fight. And remember this, no matter where you run to...where CA goes so goes the nation sooner or later. And ugly truth, but a truth nonetheless. The most $ and the most electoral votes = the most power. See CARB as an example of this. Imagine how much better our country would be if there was more political balance within CA. That's impossible when the minority flees.
I must have missed the class about lying to motorist when I was in the academy. This kind of bullshit about teaching lying is disgusting as all hell

Last edited by Varmit; 01-19-2019 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Varmit:
BlueDevlZ06 (02-02-2019), dgerstel (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

You guys DO know that cops are paid and taught how to LIE to motorists, right? I've been written up for a moving violation that didn't exist, and promptly had it thrown out by trial by written declaration. I've also been pulled over and told specifically that I would not have been had it not been for his quota - which is illegal under CA law. And that got thrown out. And 100% of red light cameras are illegal under CA law, but still exist. So if you are one of the few that fight a ticket from one it will be immediately thrown out in court to preserve the revenue from the others that don't fight.

Historically exhaust volume has been legislated on a municipal, not state, level. So until someone posts the actual law I'll call it fake news. Most likely that vid was from around Malibu, which is particularly draconian about moving violations. That's not a CA issue, it's a $ issue.

And as an aside to all of you who bitch about the state you no longer live in. What are you doing to make it better? Oh, yeah, nothing. You gave up your vote. Some of us are staying to fight. And remember this, no matter where you run to...where CA goes so goes the nation sooner or later. And ugly truth, but a truth nonetheless. The most $ and the most electoral votes = the most power. See CARB as an example of this. Imagine how much better our country would be if there was more political balance within CA. That's impossible when the minority flees.
I suppose the factory exhaust will suffice for the large majority of us. This is just one of the freedoms we enjoy living in a different part of the country than Ca. AFA staying to make it better, I believe most the country has given up on Ca.. I don't think just one lifetime is enough to change the state of affairs there. It is simply too far gone.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
https://youtu.be/6YZ1SMsKhLc

first half of the podcast is some one knowledgeable explaining both the law, the application to date, and how it puts owners in a strange scenario.

also, the 95dba rating is at 3000-5000rpm and off of load, incredibly loud. the issue isn't the law, the issue is how police officers apply it.
- VERY useful and informative vid. Thank you so much for posting it. Now we have the specifics for fighting the insanity. As with most of the world's most damaging ideas it seems to have started with the best intentions.

Originally Posted by BlueDevlZ06
Didn't know that. 27 years as a Motor cop and supervisor and I never received any of that training. Thank god for body and cycle cams.
- Good to know things are different in NY than certain parts of CA. +1 to the usefulness of body cams!

Originally Posted by Varmit
I must have missed the class about lying to motorist when I was in the academy. This kind of bullshit about teaching lying is disgusting as all hell
- I agree completely. Police should be protectors of the public, not exploiters. And it pains me to know what some departments encourage. Then again...it's understandable as their budgets rely in large part on citation revenue. In CA citation quotas are illegal by state law, as are red light cameras. Both exist, I've been ticketed under both circumstances, and both were thrown out. But most civilians don't fight, so they produce revenue for the city/state. And cops' jobs are on the line it they don't "enforce" as they are told.

Thankfully there are good cops too.

Last edited by Palantirion; 01-19-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

I take exception to the claim cops are taught to lie. In response, I intend to hunt Corvettes for the remainder of my shift and cite for any and all violations.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patriot10:
BlueDevlZ06 (02-02-2019), dgerstel (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Thank you for the last part— I was bothering to answer the peanut gallery who are chiming in on a similar thread in a different forum. Ca has problems like any state but let’s put it in perspective. Not to down any particular state, but I lived two decades in the Northeast and I wouldn’t go back if possible. For example, as the Northeast enjoys a blistering snowstorm, I drove my C7Z yest in January with the targa top off in Northern California wearing a light hoodie until 5pm. When it’s a workday, I drive another convertible. So dealing with a fake ticket few and far between (had 1 total in five years that will be thrown out) and some strict exhaust laws are not really a burden to me.

For someone who actually lives in CA, I am contemplating going to ZR1 and I don’t worry for a second abt the new exhaust laws. Then again I don’t street race and my cars are stock.

Last edited by Parcival; 01-20-2019 at 08:37 AM.
dgerstel (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Very well said.

Get notified of new replies

To Your ZR1 and the new California Law

Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
https://youtu.be/6YZ1SMsKhLc

Hmm, a lot of different info out there. I watched a video that said the test would be at an idle and and 2500 rpm's. 20 inches away from the tail pipe and at a 45* angle. This makes more sense to me than a test at 5,000 rpm. I have to think most cars would fail at 5,000 rpm's.
SacCityCorvette (01-21-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Hmm, a lot of different info out there. I watched a video that said the test would be at an idle and and 2500 rpm's. 20 inches away from the tail pipe and at a 45* angle. This makes more sense to me than a test at 5,000 rpm. I have to think most cars would fail at 5,000 rpm's.
- My Z4 M Coupe has modified exhaust (custom Magnaflow) and it's volume level ranges like crazy - depending on rpm and load. At 2100 and 4200rpm (+/-100rpm) the dBD (note: dBD not dBA) spikes from like 75 to 96+...IF the engine is under even a light load. If it isn't under load its 15+/- lower. That's a HUGE difference. It just has to do with resonance (again, dBD, not dBA). But the car is VERY loud in those two instances to the ear....however it would legally mean nothing to the new law because they specify dBA which is a different frequency range (higher pitched) and in that regard my Z4 would pass easily. Even though any cop would probably pull me over and the car would give me hearing damage in the cockpit if I drove around holding at those specific rpm and load combinations. Sound is so easily perceived, yet wildly incomprehensible to the an untrained person, that this new law is simply ludicrous to enforce. And, as my now-ex-father-in-law used to say "If it can't be enforced it shouldn't be made."
Old 01-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

12 tickets baybee, And one lowered Vette impounded just for kicks.

Quick Reply: Your ZR1 and the new California Law