C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Your ZR1 and the new California Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 PM
tipsyhemi
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

so let me make it clear.

Thats FACTUALLY INACCURATE, the "test" and the guideline is actually an SAE process.

its spelled out here as per the law

2008-10-27

Measurement of Light Vehicle Stationary Exhaust System Sound Level Engine Speed Sweep Method J1492_200810

This SAE Recommended Practice establishes the test procedure, environment, and instrumentation to be used for measuring the exterior exhaust sound level for passenger cars, multipurpose vehicles, and light trucks under stationary conditions providing a continuous measure of exhaust system sound level over a range of engine speeds.
This document applies only to road vehicles equipped with an internal combustion engine.
The method is designed to meet the requirements of simplicity as far as they are consistent with reproducibility of results under the operating conditions of the vehicle.
It is within the scope of this document to measure the stationary A-weighted sound pressure level during:
  • measurements at the manufacturing stage
  • measurements at official testing stations
  • measurements at roadside testing
It does neither specify a method to check the exhaust sound pressure level when the engine is operated at realistic load nor a method to check the exhaust sound pressure levels against a general noise limit for categories of road vehicles. It provides the means for detecting exhaust system resonances with the potential to affect both exterior and interior sound quality.
This document incorporates certain provisions of ISO 5130:2007 for measuring the sound level of exhaust systems. (See Appendix A.)
This is the "referee" process thats been cited

Now, may a cop issue you a ticket? yes.

and from the way its been explained its basically a funneling point by issuing that ticket. Disgusting.
The following users liked this post:
Palantirion (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
You guys DO know that cops are paid and taught how to LIE to motorists, right? I've been written up for a moving violation that didn't exist, and promptly had it thrown out by trial by written declaration. I've also been pulled over and told specifically that I would not have been had it not been for his quota - which is illegal under CA law. And that got thrown out. And 100% of red light cameras are illegal under CA law, but still exist. So if you are one of the few that fight a ticket from one it will be immediately thrown out in court to preserve the revenue from the others that don't fight.

Historically exhaust volume has been legislated on a municipal, not state, level. So until someone posts the actual law I'll call it fake news. Most likely that vid was from around Malibu, which is particularly draconian about moving violations. That's not a CA issue, it's a $ issue.

And as an aside to all of you who bitch about the state you no longer live in. What are you doing to make it better? Oh, yeah, nothing. You gave up your vote. Some of us are staying to fight. And remember this, no matter where you run to...where CA goes so goes the nation sooner or later. And ugly truth, but a truth nonetheless. The most $ and the most electoral votes = the most power. See CARB as an example of this. Imagine how much better our country would be if there was more political balance within CA. That's impossible when the minority flees.
Income tax and the IRS are illegal too. That's what I heard. Must be so. I live in the second huge failure of an over-taxed lib haven state, Ill noise. It would be nice if CA and IL would secede from the union. Better yet what happened to becoming three separate states? That was CA's grab attempt to get four more senators in DC and more power to impose their will on the rest of us. For years certain Corvettes and other cars in general could not be sold in CA because of their over restrictive vehicle emission laws. This is still the case. Thankfully the entire rest of the country has not gone the way of the State of California and we are still free to enjoy our Corvettes whether stock or modified. CA may have the most $ as you say, it's needed because Cali is amongst the most expensive for cost of living, expensive real estate cost, highest property and sales taxes, expensive vehicle registration, expensive fuel and highest insurance cost. So people are foolish for leaving that state? Keep up the good fight there in CA. I feel I am foolish for staying in the commie state of IL but my wife says we love our kids and grandkids here too much. Maybe Crook County, I mean Cook County, will slide into Lake Michigan at the same time CA slides off into the Pacific? Liberty, freedom? Not so much.

By the way, "Learning to Lie to the Public and on the Witness Stand" is taught in the seventh week of the police academy. We also received periodic in service refresher courses on the subject during my thirty five year career as the police. NOT! Cops being taught to lie is a ridiculous assertion. A police officer's whole career and ability to effectively function is based upon his/ her credibility and truthfulness. We actually had a community based program, as a part of a national organization, called "Beat the Heat." We would encourage to local residents to bring their hot rods, sports cars, Corvettes, trucks, stock and modified, to drag race our police sponsred vehicles. The racing program helped to encourage people to enjoy their fast and loud vehicles in a forum that would not violate the traffic laws and posed no danger to the public at large. Overall the program was successful in fostering good public relations with the police and certainly reduced the number of traffic tickets issued. Not all cops are anti- modified/ sports vehicle hard heads. There are those of us who love Corvettes and other race vehicles.
NW-99SS (01-28-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:55 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I’ll not drive my ZR1 in California. It’s obviously not a sanctuary for Corvette enthusiasts. They may need a wall to keep people in soon.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 01-21-2019 at 10:55 PM.
ROBWILKER (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:48 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Tort
it's absolutely ridiculous and will be a massive waste of a lot of peoples time.
See: DMV...
Old 01-22-2019, 09:52 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 712 Likes on 369 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Being Canadian, I have no say on state law's.

From past experience (and already addressed in part), a province I used to live attempted to enforce a very similar law and fine scenario - where DB levels were taken by officers on the street and offence fines issued.

In every single one of those fines, the owner of the vehicle needed only to take the fine to court and point out the lack of proper DB testing method and the fine/ticket would be thrown out. As stated by others here, there is a certain procedure for accurately testing DB of a vehicle's exhaust, which includes no buildings within a certain proximity, no curbs, distance from exhaust tip(s), angle, calibration of device, etc (the list goes on). In my experience, the failed DB tests and issued tickets always failed to meet required criteria.

Within 2 months of attempted enforcement, the officers quit issuing fines as they failed to accurately measure the DB level in every single road-side stop they performed.

Edit: My first-hand experience with an officer attempting to issue a DB ticket for my exhaust came to an abrupt end when I mentioned it was a factory installed muffler on my car, and I would gladly show them the OEM stamp and part number should they want it.

Last edited by NW-99SS; 01-28-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:35 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
So CA police officers are now experts on automotive exhaust systems, what is stock and what may be aftermarket. What are the police going to do, put your car in the air on the side of an interstate highway and discover that you have an "X" pipe which any and every cop will know is not factory on each and every make, model, and year of car. Ridiculous.
No they are just saying the car has loud exhaust...And gives you a ticket... Done.... With the Officer..... Now, when you go to the State Inspector.. That's the guy that looks over every inch of the car and tells you to get rid of the X pipe or whatever is not stock..... You still pay the fine and return to him when the car is back to stock to get a pass to return the car to the road...

At first I was.. WTF this is a BS law.. I have classic hot rods that are piped and sound awesome ( which are exempt from the law), loud but awesome and the Z06 sings pretty damn good at max RPM in stock configuration.... Here is where I am for this law.... Those fart cans on imports are just stupid hollow echoing annoyances, Harley riders.. Their throttle blurps at a stop light and that rev when splitting lanes... those dumb *** Mustangs (some Camaros) with Borla extreme +2 canned out exhausts, where they sound like they are going 80 mph when accelerating from a stop sign at cruising speed.... These idiots have taken it too far.. I'm a "to each their own" kind of guy, but when you go to the extreme of idiocy and disturb everyone around you.. You need to pay to play I guess..

Quick Reply: Your ZR1 and the new California Law