C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
Time for an attorney. Just my opinion because you will continue to get a run around and it will drive you nuts. Again, I have seen this many times and it really pisses me off. If you need some help with getting an attorney message me and I will help you.
Thank you for your kind offer. I do appreciate your consideration and sentiment. I will follow the necessary procedures to receive some sort of disposition on the warranty claim. GM has replaced the front splitter without a problem. I was offered a full GM 72 mo.extended warranty as compensation (does not cover paint or panel defects) but I have declined because that does nothing to correct the issues. Legal cases and lawyers cost a lot of money, with no guarantee of prevailing. There could also be substantial financial jeopardy beyond individual legal expenses in the event a plaintiff loses. Very few people talk about the financial burden and risk as if lawyers and the legal system are the best course of action. I used to conduct legal investigations on behalf of GM and their lawyers and they are not afraid of spending a lot of money to defend a case, especially if they feel the loss of such a case would increase their exposure on the issue at hand. In my opinion it is best resolved at a level where the customer's financial and legal exposure are minimal. This does not preclude legal action in the future, if needed, particularly a class action or federal warranty case. GM could easily resolve these paint issues without the legal recourse. I do not presume to speak for SilveradoSS500 or many others having similar problems on their new C7s. Let's hope GM does not let this matter become a class action like the C7 Z06 A8 overheating litigation. Usually the lawyers reap the most benefit in those cases.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
Thank you for your kind offer. I do appreciate your consideration and sentiment. I will follow the necessary procedures to receive some sort of disposition on the warranty claim. GM has replaced the front splitter without a problem. I was offered a full GM 72 mo.extended warranty as compensation (does not cover paint or panel defects) but I have declined because that does nothing to correct the issues. Legal cases and lawyers cost a lot of money, with no guarantee of prevailing. There could also be substantial financial jeopardy beyond individual legal expenses in the event a plaintiff loses. Very few people talk about the financial burden and risk as if lawyers and the legal system are the best course of action. I used to conduct legal investigations on behalf of GM and their lawyers and they are not afraid of spending a lot of money to defend a case, especially if they feel the loss of such a case would increase their exposure on the issue at hand. In my opinion it is best resolved at a level where the customer's financial and legal exposure are minimal. This does not preclude legal action in the future, if needed, particularly a class action or federal warranty case. GM could easily resolve these paint issues without the legal recourse. I do not presume to speak for SilveradoSS500 or many others having similar problems on their new C7s. Let's hope GM does not let this matter become a class action like the C7 Z06 A8 overheating litigation. Usually the lawyers reap the most benefit in those cases.
If you get an attorney that doesn't get paid unless you win you don't have to worry about fees. I have went through a Lemon Law case with Chrysler and they bought my 16 Grand Cherokee SRT back. They attorney I used took the case and we won. Chrysler paid him and they bought my Jeep back. They attorney I used only does Lemon Law.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
If you get an attorney that doesn't get paid unless you win you don't have to worry about fees. I have went through a Lemon Law case with Chrysler and they bought my 16 Grand Cherokee SRT back. They attorney I used took the case and we won. Chrysler paid him and they bought my Jeep back. They attorney I used only does Lemon Law.
You reinforce the point I was making. Lawyers sign these type of cases based on an "hourly fee plus cost basis" and they usually request a substantial retainer upon signing the representation contract. I know of no such case where a lawyer would take a product defect or warranty case based entirely on a contingency fee basis. There is usually no cash award or settlement for an attorney to take a large percentage upon prevailing in the lawsuit. Since you won your case, Chrysler paid your legal expenses because they lost and the court ordered as such. What isn't mentioned in your post is what would of happened if you did not win your case. Who would have paid your attorney fees and expense costs then? I am at a disadvantage not being familiar with the details of your legal case. In my experience I know of no attorney who works without a chance of being paid by the end of the case. The only cases I know of where lawyers work soley on a contingency (percentage) basis would be for personal injury or large liability lawsuits asking for large actual and/ or punative monetary damages. I do not know how your personal case was contracted with your lawyer, but in most such cases I am aware of, a person would be responsible for their own attorney reatainer and fees if they lose their case. There is never a guarantee of winning a legal case and having the defendant pay the plaintiff's legal expenses. Hence my reference to individual financial legal jeopardy. There is also the jeopardy that the plaintiff (you) could be ordered to pay the defendant's (manufacturer) legal expenses if they prevail. A lemon law case is not always won especially when the manuafacturer argues the product was "commercially acceptable" or the plaintiff's case did not properly exhaust all alternative recourse and legal procedures prior to filing the Lemon Law Claim. Many such cases are dismissed for technical procedural matters based on defendant's pretrial motions to do so. A plaintiff has no realistic recourse at this point. The affected customer who loses such a legal case can't go back and pursue a warranty claim again. I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice. My only experience has been nine years as a legal investigator for GM, their insurance company and their law firms. I am now retired and have no current ties to GM or its agents other than pension. Two of my three current Corvettes, the Z06 and ZR1, were not purchased as GM employee vehicles. If they were, I would be barred from filing a Lemon Law claim and could only pursue warranty claims and arbitration for the manufacturer defects or mechanical problems during the warranty period. I should note that one of my Corvettes (427 Collector 1SC Convt) along with my three other current GM vehicles were purchased through the GM Employee program but none have exhibited any similar quality or production defect issues. Every individual should weigh their circumstance and determine their best individual recourse after relying upon and completely considering the information available to them.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:09 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
You reinforce the point I was making. Lawyers sign these type of cases based on an "hourly fee plus cost basis" and they usually request a substantial retainer upon signing the representation contract. I know of no such case where a lawyer would take a product defect or warranty case based entirely on a contingency fee basis. There is usually no cash award or settlement for an attorney to take a large percentage upon prevailing in the lawsuit. Since you won your case, Chrysler paid your legal expenses because they lost and the court ordered as such. What isn't mentioned in your post is what would of happened if you did not win your case. Who would have paid your attorney fees and expense costs then? I am at a disadvantage not being familiar with the details of your legal case. In my experience I know of no attorney who works without a chance of being paid by the end of the case. The only cases I know of where lawyers work soley on a contingency (percentage) basis would be for personal injury or large liability lawsuits asking for large actual and/ or punative monetary damages. I do not know how your personal case was contracted with your lawyer, but in most such cases I am aware of, a person would be responsible for their own attorney reatainer and fees if they lose their case. There is never a guarantee of winning a legal case and having the defendant pay the plaintiff's legal expenses. Hence my reference to individual financial legal jeopardy. There is also the jeopardy that the plaintiff (you) could be ordered to pay the defendant's (manufacturer) legal expenses if they prevail. A lemon law case is not always won especially when the manuafacturer argues the product was "commercially acceptable" or the plaintiff's case did not properly exhaust all alternative recourse and legal procedures prior to filing the Lemon Law Claim. Many such cases are dismissed for technical procedural matters based on defendant's pretrial motions to do so. A plaintiff has no realistic recourse at this point. The affected customer who loses such a legal case can't go back and pursue a warranty claim again. I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice. My only experience has been nine years as a legal investigator for GM, their insurance company and their law firms. I am now retired and have no current ties to GM or its agents other than pension. Two of my three current Corvettes, the Z06 and ZR1, were not purchased as GM employee vehicles. If they were, I would be barred from filing a Lemon Law claim and could only pursue warranty claims and arbitration for the manufacturer defects or mechanical problems during the warranty period. I should note that one of my Corvettes (427 Collector 1SC Convt) along with my three other current GM vehicles were purchased through the GM Employee program but none have exhibited any similar quality or production defect issues. Every individual should weigh their circumstance and determine their best individual recourse after relying upon and completely considering the information available to them.
Check out www.mylemon.com . I know it sounds like bullshit but I've used them and know 2 other people that have used them. All have been very happy with the outcome of their cases. Again these attorneys only do Lemon Law cases and they know what they are doing. I will say that they only handle cases in Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey. I'm sure if you look for someone in your state you can find a similar attorney.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

GM’s QC on paint and panel fit has gone to crap. The C5 was curvy and forgiving on small variances. With the sharp lines of the C7 it’s either right or it’s not. My 2014 has worse paint, gaps and panel defects than any of my C5s. However, I got us used for a good deal and track it a lot so I live with it. Supposedly the early C7 issues were related to a new lighter SMC formulation... which was changed yet again in 2016 (even lighter). I will say most new paint shop cars have better paint as they’re robot sanding all the panels and have new bell-head sprayers. I can walk the local dealer and find that 60-70% of the cars I would refuse delivery... sad. This is why a 911 costs what it does for mediocre performance... the quality and fit is there. As one poster said it makes me very leery of al the tech in the C8.

Oh.... and of all these black cars with mismatched hoods.... I’d rather the rest of the car match the hood! The supplier paint is much deeper and blacker. There’s a joke amongst painters that “black isn’t black”.... they have greys, blues, and brown tones.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Default The question of Lemon Law Litigation

Thank you very much for the advice. I will check out the website. I am sure many people feel the only available course of action left to them is litigation. I do not feel lawyers or legal action is bullshit. When things reach a certain point it is very appropriate. Sometimes the only thing left. There are many intricacies in the various state Lemon Laws. The criteria regarding time constraints, repair attempts, financial limitations, legal notice and warranty application all vary in each state juristiction. I have a reliable source of legal advice and I am in the process of going through the procedural steps necessary to exhaust the warranty claims at this point. Written notice has been given to GM via my delivering dealership to dispatch a field service engineer to actually view the problem and propose a repair/ replace solution for the remaining problems.One problem with the hoods are they are serial number tagged to the specific vehicle. Another hood cannot be retagged to match the brand new car. A factory repaint would be impossible because my ZR1 color has been discontinued at BG. A replacement hood on a new ZR1 would certainly diminiss the value of the "original" vehicle. If GM stonewalls, stalls or tries to run out the clock, I will not hesitate to pursue litigation. My personal opinion, based upon my experience, it is not to one's benefit to jump into legal limbo until it is necessary. When litigation is filed you build a wall that cannot be taken down. There will be no help from your dealership, the zone reps or corporate decision makers. When you file litigation you accept financial limitations, significant legal risk and must rely upon the competency of your lawyer and the failure of GM's lawyers and their almost limitless financial resources. Certain individual cases will be settled pre-litigation as "rumor" cases when GM legal eagles feels there are enough complaints about a product and they wish to stave off a class action or product liabiulity issue. Other cases will be settled pre-litgation as "nuisance" cases that will be settled for a monetary amount that is less than the "cost of defense" for paying lawyers and experts to defend a case. That was my job. To investigate for GM and their lawyers to gather evidence to mitigate damages and potential awards in potential and actual litigation. A good lawyer will advise you of the necessary steps to take before filing a lawsuit. Once your case is filed and the case is "dismissed with prejudice" on a pre-trial motion for not exhausting all legal prerequisites a plaintiff has no further recourse. GM's lawyers are very good at what they do and it is best to proceed with all due caution before embarking upon that one-way street.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:45 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Feel bad for you.. I would demand a new car done right... looks like they mixed some Wat Gln Gry into your fender paint. My VIN #574 WGG paint built 1st week in June exceeded my expectations. I haven’t found a flaw meticulously waxing the car more than a dozen times. You’d think BG would be getting even better with the fit and finish as time went by not the other way around.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 01-22-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

As per my discussion with a chevy body shop, hood of a zr1 cannot be repainted. There is a different process for painting hood and for that reason you cannot paint it if its already painted (this is what i m told).

Given the above statement, if the hood is paired with a VIN you are out of luck. I would not want a hood without a VIN. I would ask if you can get a hood with your VIN given your special circumstances if they say no then time for an attorney.

And for the record, 72 mo warranty for something like this is not appropriate. They should offer financial compensation for depreciated value.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:12 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
As per my discussion with a chevy body shop, hood of a zr1 cannot be repainted. There is a different process for painting hood and for that reason you cannot paint it if its already painted (this is what i m told).

Given the above statement, if the hood is paired with a VIN you are out of luck. I would not want a hood without a VIN. I would ask if you can get a hood with your VIN given your special circumstances if they say no then time for an attorney.

And for the record, 72 mo warranty for something like this is not appropriate. They should offer financial compensation for depreciated value.
I'm not understanding why a painted hood can't be painted again? Carbon fiber parts are painted all the time. Scuffing and repainting shouldn't be an issue. Maybe it has to do with the special clear coat over the exposed carbon. However, the two Carbon65s I looked at recently had a pretty ****-poor tape job where the paint transitioned to the exposed carbon in the hood scoop area. My point is these aren't being done by a robot... someone is taping off that line.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

My main gripe here isn't the defects... some rate of defect is acceptable. It's the fact that GM let the car out of the plant looking like that and then the #2 Corvette dealer in the world sold it looking like that. It's not a Cruze.
The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:37 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I'm not understanding why a painted hood can't be painted again? Carbon fiber parts are painted all the time. Scuffing and repainting shouldn't be an issue. Maybe it has to do with the special clear coat over the exposed carbon. However, the two Carbon65s I looked at recently had a pretty ****-poor tape job where the paint transitioned to the exposed carbon in the hood scoop area. My point is these aren't being done by a robot... someone is taping off that line.
I spoke to the body shop foreman and he explicitly said that full carbon fiber panels such as the hood cannot be paint repaired, cannot be strip painted, or painted over. The only way is to get a brand new hood. He also said those panels are not painted in house, they come painted.

This also means for those of us who have no issues with the hood, we need to be super careful maintaining our cars. Its not like any other car. These CF panels are all hand made and the costs are very high ($3500 for splitter, $1700 for side skirts, etc). I’m glad I went with xpel everywhere, gives me peace of mind.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:54 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
The General is working on this issue.Please let's stop with the speculations and let the matter be handled.

FACT: The hoods are painted at a separate facility
You created an ENTIRE "Official Problem List" sticky thread regarding the Z06 issues.... why should this stop if it is a legitimate issue? Where is the ZR1 issue sticky?

Last edited by fleming23; 01-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleming23
You created an ENTIRE "Official Problem List" sticky thread regarding the Z06 issues.... why should this stop if it is a legitimate issue? Where is the ZR1 issue sticky?
Probably because this issue isnt as widespread as the Z06 issues? I think this issue is limited to a specific color of cars and a specific subset of those colors.
DebRedZR1 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by fleming23
Two different things. The Z06 sticky was for LEGIT issues to help people, the post you are referring to is about people posting non factual things that have nothing to do with LEGIT ZR issues. If there are more issues that become known aside from the paint maybe we can get a sticky going.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by tool hoarder
my main gripe here isn't the defects... Some rate of defect is acceptable. It's the fact that gm let the car out of the plant looking like that and then the #2 corvette dealer in the world sold it looking like that. It's not a cruze.
100%
Old 01-22-2019, 05:10 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

I spoke to the body shop foreman and he explicitly said that full carbon fiber panels such as the hood cannot be paint repaired, cannot be strip painted, or painted over. The only way is to get a brand new hood. He also said those panels are not painted in house, they come painted.

This also means for those of us who have no issues with the hood, we need to be super careful maintaining our cars. Its not like any other car. These CF panels are all hand made and the costs are very high ($3500 for splitter, $1700 for side skirts, etc). I’m glad I went with xpel everywhere, gives me peace of mind.
Sorry that's BS. Been around auto-body my whole life. You can sand and repaint.
duanesZ06 (02-11-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

during my time as a painter at Performance collision I helped another BODYMAN PAINT CF parts for race cars, not show cars but race cars! They wanted you to sand down to the first coat of primer and seal and paint!

Get notified of new replies

To 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Old 01-23-2019, 07:28 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

You can repaint and repair carbon, I’ve had it done before. ANYWAYS...

A couple of things I haven’t mentioned yet, when you build a ZR1 online, there’s two suede interior options. Both are the same wording and no description change between the two. The picture does change though! I ordered the full suede interior and mine arrived in leather. Not sure if the dealer ordered it incorrectly but that was a massive bummer for me. I already made GM aware of this... 1. They need to fix that on the order process and have something differentiating the two options.

My leather dash ZR1 arrives, I see the paint issue, paint cracked on the wing mounts, wing and left carbon side skirt are all flawed up and I see this also, something sharp almost poking through the my incorrect ordered/built dash. Also look at my passenger airbag, this was bothering me big time during my first week of ownership.

Also, after my last oil change, we noticed my transmission is leaking. ����*♂️

BTW, GM never sent us anything, I just learned that they made my dealer “order” parts. So the past 2 weeks have been a waste.

Fun fact for the day, this car even went through AUDIT ��

GM needs to come up with a 150k ownership process and I will consider working for them, I truly care and will change all of this!!! I’ve never felt so unloved by a brand...

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 01-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
You can repaint and repair carbon, I’ve had it done before. ANYWAYS...

A couple of things I haven’t mentioned yet, when you build a ZR1 online, there’s two suede interior options. Both are the same wording and no description change between the two. The picture does change though! I ordered the full suede interior and mine arrived in leather. Not sure if the dealer ordered it incorrectly but that was a massive bummer for me. I already made GM aware of this... 1. They need to fix that on the order process and have something differentiating the two options.

My leather dash ZR1 arrives, I see the paint issue, paint cracked on the wing mounts, wing and left carbon side skirt look are all flawed up and I see this also, something sharp almost poking through the
my incorrect ordered/built dash. Also look at my passenger airbag, this was bothering me big time during my first week of ownership.

Also, after my last oil change, we noticed my transmission is leaking. 🤦🏻*♂️

BTW, GM never sent us anything, I just learned that they made my dealer “order” parts. So the past 2 weeks have been a waste.

Fun fact for the day, this car even went through AUDIT 😳

GM needs to come up with a 150k ownership process and I will consider working for them, I truly care and will change all of this!!! I’ve never felt so unloved by a brand...
You got a bad one... the passenger side airbag "ghost" is basically unavoidable. The hard debris on the driver side is a flaw. That dash should have been rejected by QC.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:34 PM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is appalling. There is no way GM is ready to compete at this price. I would be LIVID if I was the OP.

Quick Reply: 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s