C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Just saw your other post. Take it back! You'll never be happy!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Thank you for posting and I hope this works out to 100% of your satisfaction. Lesson learned to guys taking delivery soon. Inspect in daylight , eyes and hands, glasses on, wife, girlfriend, buddy doing the same. This is why I want to take the drive to pick up my car instead of having it shipped .
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Do I understand that you have had the car 2 months? If you could give us the last four digits of your VIN perhaps others that had vehicles made that same week may have some insight for you. Difficult to believe that the vehicle ever left the plant like that. It would seem more likely that someone down the line from the plant made a few 'corrections' to an accident before you took delivery. Of course, I assume you have chased this all the way back to GM to find out the history of this vehicle to see what may have gone wrong and by whom.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 AM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Bowling green has always had a bad report card when it comes to quality control, seems like some things never change, make them give you a new car.
This is why I'm worried about the C8 having so much technology.

This paint should've never left BG, and then the dealer should've never even tried to sell it.

What # is this one? was it a recent build or...?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:48 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

OP, If your ZR1 left Bowling Green in that condition, then who ever signed off on it needs to be gone. Period! There's no way it was even remotely inspected for quality if it came from the plant like that. NFW!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Bowling green has always had a bad report card when it comes to quality control, seems like some things never change, make them give you a new car.
I must have missed those news flashes. Please direct me.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I must have missed those news flashes. Please direct me.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lack-zr1s.html
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Do I understand that you have had the car 2 months? If you could give us the last four digits of your VIN perhaps others that had vehicles made that same week may have some insight for you. Difficult to believe that the vehicle ever left the plant like that. It would seem more likely that someone down the line from the plant made a few 'corrections' to an accident before you took delivery. Of course, I assume you have chased this all the way back to GM to find out the history of this vehicle to see what may have gone wrong and by whom.
I know of a few hood issues. In two months what have you done and where do things stand?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

There's got to be a backstory to this.....maybe some of the panels were repainted at the plant or dealership. Regardless, to those that go to the Bash should bring quality issues like these to Tadge and higher powers and hear their replies and answers.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 PM
samgauto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
There's got to be a backstory to this.....maybe some of the panels were repainted at the plant or dealership. Regardless, to those that go to the Bash should bring quality issues like these to Tadge and higher powers and hear their replies and answers.
I agree. I find it hard to believe that left BGA like that. I am wondering if, sometime between release of the car at the plant, and final delivery to the customer, that something was accidentally damaged and an area needed to be repainted and this was not disclosed to the owner. Years ago at my family dealership, I remember taking a Pontiac Fiero in trade that an owner had bought new. During trade in appraisal, I found numerous tight tape lines around moldings on the car as well as some small pieces of oversprayed masking tape. The owner was adamant that her car never had paint work as she was the only owner. After contacting the selling dealer where she bought the car new, it was leaned that the car was damaged accidentally by a falling chain on the car carrier and then immediately painted to correct. The first buyer was never informed of this fact when the car was sold to her.

Last edited by samgauto; 01-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I’ve done some poking...many parties are aware. There a few other black ones that have different colors like mine but they aren’t as bad as my car. This car was delivered like this and I was on the horn hours later about the paint, it’s not always noticeable but it’s there!

I’ve been having fun with the car, trying not to hate it. It’s just gotten to a point where I felt that I should share with our community as I’m a massive Corvette fan. I have a 2015 Z07 and 2004 LS7 C5 Z06...

Here’s the deal and my glass half full approach, more I think about it...I don’t believe BG is capable of producing an “amazing” paint job. I’m very **** about my cars and if I can be involved with the repainting process of the whole car, I bet I could get this thing looking better than any other black ZR1. CLEARLY this is not ideal but I’ve been thinking about it for the past 6 weeks or so...also traveling for work blah blah. Been busy! It was a customer delivery car so it’s also complicated to just return it...I looked into it. I’m having fun with it and I kindoff just make fun of the car. But it’s time I get proactive and figure this out, because it’s iust not right. My dealership does have a really nice brand new paint facility...which is local, I know cars and paint...it might not be the worst solution. I could have a thicker, nicer paint job. It’s not like I’m changing the color and this thing comes apart decently quick.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 PM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-chevro...***-1831345121

You’re not the only one with this problem. How do these cars pass a quality inspection?

I’m embarrassed for GM given the spin and the price point in this car.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Nymerez posts (in #20) that BWG has alwaya had a bad report card on quality so I ask him to please direct me to those sources and you post this one complaint from the forum?? Seriously?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Yeah, but it is easier just to post complaints here that don't involve actual details for the "rest of the story". Is it even remotely feasible that someone can incur such shoddy workmanship without going back to the plant or GM corporate for resolution? I think not.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

OP, I feel your pain and respect your approach to resolving your situation. I as well have a black ZTK Z which the paint and carbon components are spot on. I would recommend contacting BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice, during my engine build and upon NCM delivery . He is a stand up guy and confident he will set the appropriate direction for an acceptable resolution. All the best.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by 638HP
OP, I feel your pain and respect your approach to resolving your situation. I as well have a black ZTK Z which the paint and carbon components are spot on. I would recommend contacting BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice, during my engine build and upon NCM delivery . He is a stand up guy and confident he will set the appropriate direction for an acceptable resolution. All the best.
They won't do anything at the plant except tell you to open a warranty claim. Years ago they would help but it's a different story now and they will refer you to your dealer.

Last edited by BearZ06; 01-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:35 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by BearZ06
They won't do anything at the plant except tell you to open a warranty claim. Years ago they would help but it's a different story now and they will refer you to your dealer.
Who should open an RO. The hoods are painted at a different facility making Vin info is helpful. The General does need a better process to help people who need it.

Get notified of new replies

To 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
I’ve done some poking...many parties are aware. There a few other black ones that have different colors like mine but they aren’t as bad as my car. This car was delivered like this and I was on the horn hours later about the paint, it’s not always noticeable but it’s there!

I’ve been having fun with the car, trying not to hate it. It’s just gotten to a point where I felt that I should share with our community as I’m a massive Corvette fan. I have a 2015 Z07 and 2004 LS7 C5 Z06...

Here’s the deal and my glass half full approach, more I think about it...I don’t believe BG is capable of producing an “amazing” paint job. I’m very **** about my cars and if I can be involved with the repainting process of the whole car, I bet I could get this thing looking better than any other black ZR1. CLEARLY this is not ideal but I’ve been thinking about it for the past 6 weeks or so...also traveling for work blah blah. Been busy! It was a customer delivery car so it’s also complicated to just return it...I looked into it. I’m having fun with it and I kindoff just make fun of the car. But it’s time I get proactive and figure this out, because it’s iust not right. My dealership does have a really nice brand new paint facility...which is local, I know cars and paint...it might not be the worst solution. I could have a thicker, nicer paint job. It’s not like I’m changing the color and this thing comes apart decently quick.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback.
Sounds like you’re going to have some fun wet sanding and polishing your newly painted ZR1...and making it your baby. And I say this in a fully complimentary way.

Enjoy learning all the lines, curves, and textures of your ZR1.

When available, I’d love to see the “after” photos.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

WOW sorry to see and hear about this, that is just bad, I hope they do something for you.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

That is nuts. The hood and the top are black and the rest of the car is dark gray.

Quick Reply: 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s