C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Old 01-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

This is certainly not the owning experience we want you to have with your Corvette, SilveradoSS500, as you deserve the vehicle you dreamed about. Our team would like to look into this further and see how we can best assist. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com and in the subject “ATTN: Kate P”. Please include your VIN, full contact information, current mileage and dealer name as well. We will keep an eye out for your response.

Kate P.

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
Well, I noticed this within a few hours of taking delivery of my ZR1...I was offered at the dealership level to let them repaint the hood or whole car...........

When I was a kid, all I ever wanted was the baddest and fastest Corvette out there! Well, this is what a $142k got me... I’m honestly a lost of words...I’ve owned many many GM vehicles, and this is the worst quality vehicle I’ve honestly ever owned...it’s also the most expense car that I’ve ever purchased, it’s safe to say...this is my dream car.

Ive been biting my tongue for almost two months and of course I can show you photos of my car where it looks solid black but unfortunately that’s just not reality.

I would like to know how many other ZR1s have a different color hood, roof paint and rear spoiler (not wing).

I want to type for hours but I’ll just post the pictures. I lose sleep thinking about this...

NOTE: the over spray on the rear hatch and scratches on the passenger door from the vehicle delivery wrap, where someone or something leaned against the car and scratched the clear coat. There’s also a handful of carbon imperfections and there’s something sharp almost poking through my dash. It’s just a huge mess...she’s fast though! Ha

Bowling Green and GM need to learn from
this ZR1, they need to come pick it up, take it back to Bowling Green...have a team meeting and repaint my car. I bleed GM, I only plan on buying a C8,C9,C10...this isn’t how we are going to compete with the rest of the world. Your customer is your storyteller and this story SUCKS!

I can’t even take pics of my car at my home, every time I walk by it, this what I see.

My view when pumping gas at my local gas station at night

After a good wash, you can see the true dark grey/blue/black that my car truly is. Just embarrassing

The following 6 users liked this post by Chevy Cust Svc:
Darion (01-14-2019), DebRedZR1 (01-16-2019), duanesZ06 (02-10-2019), patron1992 (02-11-2019), RedDrgnZ06 (01-19-2019), ShagVette (01-14-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

If it's JUST the hood they could match it! DONT RESPRAY THE whole car. Hood should be fine to paint.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
This is certainly not the owning experience we want you to have with your Corvette, SilveradoSS500, as you deserve the vehicle you dreamed about. Our team would like to look into this further and see how we can best assist. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com and in the subject “ATTN: Kate P”. Please include your VIN, full contact information, current mileage and dealer name as well. We will keep an eye out for your response.

Kate P.
Thank you Kate, email sent!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

There was an earlier thread in the Z06 section specific to black cars with the carbon fiber hood insert. Through investigation, it turns out that the hoods opted with the carbon fiber hood inserts are actually painted at a different plant and then put together in Bowling Green. Same thing with the Carbon Flash aero trim. That's why the Z06 front splitter is a slightly different color than the Stage 3 side winglets. Both painted Carbon Flash, but slightly different shade.

Since all the ZR1s have the Carbon Fiber shaker hood cut out, I wonder if the same plant responsible for painting the carbon fiber hood insert hoods is painting the ZR1 hoods.

Last edited by MSG C5; 01-14-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:04 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

I remember this a few months back. The OP car seems to be much worse. I hope you get this resolved with your dream car.

Last edited by Ron'sGS; 01-15-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Tek Jedi
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue - a Black ZR1 that doesn’t match

I have a similar issue on my car. Took delivery in late August. Here is my hood and front panels in direct sunlight.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Honestly speaking this issue is far worse than the issues I have experienced. I dont know how you guys have been silent for weeks/months. I completely feel your pain and I hope you guys get some resolution.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Originally Posted by tek jedi
i have a similar issue on my car. Took delivery in late august. Here is my hood and front panels in direct sunlight.

o m g ... 😳😱🤦🏻*♂️

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 01-16-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

During a lengthy conversation I had yesterday with a reputable chevy body shop, I may have accidentally found out why this is happening with the hood.

the painted carbon fiber components has a different paint process and most likely are being painted separately even possibly by a different location.

Also any of the carbon fiber painted panel is toast once its damaged paint wise. There is no way to repaint them as you would any other panel.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

The General is working on this issue.Please let's stop with the speculations and let the matter be handled.

FACT: The hoods are painted at a separate facility
Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

Wow, not acceptable!!

-Josh
Old 01-19-2019, 02:39 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I never would have accepted the car that way!! Not trying to start trouble here but I have seen this before on other vehicles and most of the time the manufacturer will pay to get it "fixed" but it never looks the way it should. Most people are so excited when they are purchasing a vehicle that they figure what the hell it will be taken care of. I've been in the car business for 25 years and it almost always goes bad. I guess at this point let GM deal with it but if it isn't done to your satisfactory then look into the lemon law.. Sorry for the negative attitude it just really pisses me off that GM would release this car like this to a customer. I wish you the best of luck sir..

Last edited by 2019 ZR1; 01-20-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Thank you Kate, email sent!
Way to go, Kate and GM!
Bravo for making this right!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Originally Posted by Vernon

Way to go, Kate and GM!
Bravo for making this right!!!
Let’s not jump the gun yet...no one has really contacted me other than a short fluffy email. I’m told some parts are headed to my dealer but I plan to update everyone on my 150k ownership experience after I see what they sent me.

I do love driving my ZR1 around, not gonna lie...thanks again Deb for helping me out.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:39 AM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Let’s not jump the gun yet...no one has really contacted me other than a short fluffy email. I’m told some parts are headed to my dealer but I plan to update everyone on my 150k ownership experience after I see what they sent me.

I do love driving my ZR1 around, not gonna lie...thanks again Deb for helping me out.
Exactly!! Just a bullshit email that means nothing. I've seen this sooo many times.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Agreed , SilveradoSS500.

Many of us are long time, multiple generation Corvette owners and enthusiasts with shared passions and experiences - good and not so good - brought together through this forum.
As a multiple generation Corvette owner and enthusiast, my hope/expectation is that with GM aware/watching (Kate P) and through what seems to be the advocacy of Deb (way to go, Deb), your C7 ZR1 ownership experience will be corrected to bring you full satisfaction.
I’m cheerin’ for ya with hope!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:08 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Hoods painted in a different place? So! Then all the hoods wouldn't match. You would still have a standard no matter where they are painted. Does originality matter to OP? I have a 99 SS camaro that the hood and spoiler are a little off, painted by SLP I think when they converted the Z to an SS. Also thought some C6 had CF fenders, don't see why you can't paint CF twice as long as there is not too much millage. JMO

Get notified of new replies

To 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
Exactly!! Just a bullshit email that means nothing. I've seen this sooo many times.

Exactly. It is not time to get excited or to think GM is properly taking steps to actively recognize and FIX the problems. I do not want to bash or badmouth the brand or anyone else having their opinions on the forum. That is not the reason behind this posting. Until a person actually experiences these problems, like paint mismatch or body panel defects, you just do not know how having your dream car, the one that you just spent a lot of money for, is such a personal disappointment. A person's loyalty to the brand and individual model can be shaken. I buy these cars to enjoy them however I see fit. It is so difficult to find enjoyment when you constantly see these problems, worry about them and often must defend yourself about what you are doing about the problems. The several self-appointed experts that have their opinions regarding how they would handle the problems so much better than you and are far smarter and effective at resolving such problems, they are simply talking out of the wrong end. This makes their opinion(s) stink. If people legitimately want to help, thanks for your support Deb, then support the people that are having the problems. Simply saying you don't have these paint or body panel problems or that you have a friend who has a new Corvette who's car is perfect, we were stupid for taking delivery or why didn't we notice the problems at delivery, did we forget our glasses or forget to look at the car, this does nothing to actually help solve the problems. Just like a short email does nothing to actually resolve the problem. I spent an over an hour on the telephone speaking with someone who called me from GM development and engineering who said they were "concerned" about my ratings and comments I put on a post delivery customer satisfaction survey. At the end of the phone conversation the GM person said: " I cannot really do anything about the problems. I am sorry this happened, it should not be this way. I will pass this information on the engineering so they will know about the problems you have. You should continue working with your dealer and I hope your car gets fixed." That was the culmination of the caller's efforts. Just another "therapy session" "we are concerned" contact from GM meant to appease but offering no actual progress toward resolving the problems. My warranty claim R.O. remains open on my new ZR1 while it sits in winter storage, unable to move due to the cold weather (Cup 2 tires.) When my dealership service director contacted GM warranty personnel they responded as if the hood paint issues were not their problem because the hoods and all carbon fiber painted panels are painted at the supplier's facility. This does not make sense to me because the fenders and so many other CF parts would have paint mismatch problems just like the hoods. GM simply needs to step up, recognize and acknowledge the hood paint and panel problems and take the necessary steps to correct the problems under warranty provisions. I hope GM has not just moved on to the C8, leaving the C7 customers with the quality production issues to individually jump through the maze of warranty hoops, thinking we will remain silent and the problems will eventually go away. My overheating C7 Z06 A8 still has not fixed itself and that problem is another prominent engineering production flaw that GM refuses to acknowledge or repair. If GM does not respond in a meaningful way to the C7 quality issues then they can discount the C7 customers with these problems and their sphere of influence from consideration as future C8 customers.
The following users liked this post:
g.reed (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:14 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
Exactly. It is not time to get excited or to think GM is properly taking steps to actively recognize and FIX the problems. I do not want to bash or badmouth the brand or anyone else having their opinions on the forum. That is not the reason behind this posting. Until a person actually experiences these problems, like paint mismatch or body panel defects, you just do not know how having your dream car, the one that you just spent a lot of money for, is such a personal disappointment. A person's loyalty to the brand and individual model can be shaken. I buy these cars to enjoy them however I see fit. It is so difficult to find enjoyment when you constantly see these problems, worry about them and often must defend yourself about what you are doing about the problems. The several self-appointed experts that have their opinions regarding how they would handle the problems so much better than you and are far smarter and effective at resolving such problems, they are simply talking out of the wrong end. This makes their opinion(s) stink. If people legitimately want to help, thanks for your support Deb, then support the people that are having the problems. Simply saying you don't have these paint or body panel problems or that you have a friend who has a new Corvette who's car is perfect, we were stupid for taking delivery or why didn't we notice the problems at delivery, did we forget our glasses or forget to look at the car, this does nothing to actually help solve the problems. Just like a short email does nothing to actually resolve the problem. I spent an over an hour on the telephone speaking with someone who called me from GM development and engineering who said they were "concerned" about my ratings and comments I put on a post delivery customer satisfaction survey. At the end of the phone conversation the GM person said: " I cannot really do anything about the problems. I am sorry this happened, it should not be this way. I will pass this information on the engineering so they will know about the problems you have. You should continue working with your dealer and I hope your car gets fixed." That was the culmination of the caller's efforts. Just another "therapy session" "we are concerned" contact from GM meant to appease but offering no actual progress toward resolving the problems. My warranty claim R.O. remains open on my new ZR1 while it sits in winter storage, unable to move due to the cold weather (Cup 2 tires.) When my dealership service director contacted GM warranty personnel they responded as if the hood paint issues were not their problem because the hoods and all carbon fiber painted panels are painted at the supplier's facility. This does not make sense to me because the fenders and so many other CF parts would have paint mismatch problems just like the hoods. GM simply needs to step up, recognize and acknowledge the hood paint and panel problems and take the necessary steps to correct the problems under warranty provisions. I hope GM has not just moved on to the C8, leaving the C7 customers with the quality production issues to individually jump through the maze of warranty hoops, thinking we will remain silent and the problems will eventually go away. My overheating C7 Z06 A8 still has not fixed itself and that problem is another prominent engineering production flaw that GM refuses to acknowledge or repair. If GM does not respond in a meaningful way to the C7 quality issues then they can discount the C7 customers with these problems and their sphere of influence from consideration as future C8 customers.
Time for an attorney. Just my opinion because you will continue to get a run around and it will drive you nuts. Again, I have seen this many times and it really pisses me off. If you need some help with getting an attorney message me and I will help you.

Last edited by 2019 ZR1; 01-21-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:53 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by samgauto
I agree. I find it hard to believe that left BGA like that. I am wondering if, sometime between release of the car at the plant, and final delivery to the customer, that something was accidentally damaged and an area needed to be repainted and this was not disclosed to the owner. Years ago at my family dealership, I remember taking a Pontiac Fiero in trade that an owner had bought new. During trade in appraisal, I found numerous tight tape lines around moldings on the car as well as some small pieces of oversprayed masking tape. The owner was adamant that her car never had paint work as she was the only owner. After contacting the selling dealer where she bought the car new, it was leaned that the car was damaged accidentally by a falling chain on the car carrier and then immediately painted to correct. The first buyer was never informed of this fact when the car was sold to her.
This is just more rank speculation at best that has samgauto calling into question the credibility of the new car buyers who have these problems on their brand new vehicles. In my instant case, I personally spoke to the Jackie Cooper Transport driver as he left the BG lot with my ZR1 and he told me he would be at my local dealership at approximately noon the next day. Cooper Transport responded quite well to my inquiries after my vehicle sat for at least nine days on the lot after production on 08/13/2018. The driver arrived with my ZR1 at 12:45 P.M. 08/24/2018, less than 24 hours later, with the vehicle in the wrapper. I'll bet samgauto probably has a hard time believing this too based upon all his car selling experience and the prevailing bias that "buyers are liars" attitude in the business. My hood paint is mismatched metallic, obvious heavy spray coats and edge flow, dull "smear" like clear coat defects and small circular sander/ grinder marks beneath the color coat. There was also a scrape on the front splitter edge, a particulate defect in the paint on the roof halo and a "nickel" sized dent in the roof hatch panel adjacent to the window. This could not have all happened in the less than twenty-four hour transport period, especially with a repair attempt being the alleged cause of the paint problems. I know my situation does not apply in all other cases but for others to not believe that these cars leave BG and the QA check with obvious flaws, without any basis in fact, is speculative BS. Based on the known facts the quoted anecdotal situation of "taking in a used car" some time ago has no bearing whatsoever on the current production defects presented in the C7s. These paint problems have been present since the onset of production in 2013 and most new car dealers and customers were led to believe that the new $400 M BG paint shop would improve these problems. Now we are told many parts are not even painted by GM at the BG facility. This is no valid reason for the new C7 to make it through QA and leave BG with these issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s