C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by SublimeZ06
This is appalling. There is no way GM is ready to compete at this price. I would be LIVID if I was the OP.
???? The car is kicking A** , beating all those high priced cars at the track.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by SublimeZ06
This is appalling. There is no way GM is ready to compete at this price. I would be LIVID if I was the OP.
Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
He means fit/finish, overall quality, and owner service experience. I tend to agree with him. I'm fully accepting of defects... they happen. What I'm not accepting of is that this car left the plant.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:47 PM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct. I’m not talking about performance which I agree is excellent.

Last edited by SublimeZ06; 01-24-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Right on Deb ... While he has a point, maybe its time for the Sub to surface and get some fresh air.

The car is freaking amazing and somehow driving it takes some of the emotion out of the fit and finish issues. BTW - I've never purchased a new high-end performance car that did not have them. I've got a list on my ZR too and so far my selling dealer has been all over the factory in getting them resolved.

But, I do hope the General realizes their QA team needs some major retraining that do not include flavored tea, teddy bears, or touchy feely moments. Dealing with screw-ups like these do tend to **** you off even if they are ultimately "made right". Hello GM : Your customer should not be your final QA check.

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 01-24-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:55 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Hello GM : Your customer should not be your final QA check.
This... this is the problem. GM often takes the "wait and see" approach to see what customers complain about. It's cheaper to fix those that complain vs. make it right internally "Cost of Quality" as we call it in the PMI world. People work very hard to pay for these cars and they should not have to put up with this kind of thing. My $0.02.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:48 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
This... this is the problem. GM often takes the "wait and see" approach to see what customers complain about. It's cheaper to fix those that complain vs. make it right internally "Cost of Quality" as we call it in the PMI world. People work very hard to pay for these cars and they should not have to put up with this kind of thing. My $0.02.
In the long run high quality always pays (in happy repeat customers). It will cost $200 to repair a $0.02 problem after the fact.

Last edited by range96; 01-24-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

I recommend you guys all watch this video below. I hadnt seen it and I am amazed how much thought was put in to build their production facility with quality as the primary emphasis. There is no reason when they have such superior engine building process, they have a not so superior car building process. This video shows that GM cares, clearly a lot of investment has gone into this process. Maybe they need more time to apply similar measures elsewhere on their production line.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:11 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
I recommend you guys all watch this video below. I hadnt seen it and I am amazed how much thought was put in to build their production facility with quality as the primary emphasis. There is no reason when they have such superior engine building process, they have a not so superior car building process. This video shows that GM cares, clearly a lot of investment has gone into this process. Maybe they need more time to apply similar measures elsewhere on their production line.

https://youtu.be/bLtZNtvc1Aw
In general, they get the powertrains right.... it's panel fit and paint quality they suffer.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:39 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Pretty wild in the sun, it’s for sure not black. I’m thinking GM needs to send me a whole set of “black” panels. Like I’ve said before, if this post can help others and the quality of my next Corvette, then I’ll keep my glass semi full about my ZR1s true color. Imagine if I parked this car at a car show, sitting there in the sun... this what you would see! The hood is the correct color and car is a bad mixture of black.

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 01-27-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:07 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

If they were to offer you a new set of panels, get away from the nightmare of black.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:00 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Yeah that's almost like something happened with that batch of black. I'd want the rest of the car to match the hood.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Its not black its GMs "ebony".

My dad bought a brand new Black Camaro RS in 1988. The car had a dull finish - almost satin. After much negotiating they had to repaint the whole car on GMs dime to actually make it shiny. Unacceptable 30 years ago on a base level Camaro and even more so on their flagship.

GM wants to play in the six figure pool they have to offer six figure quality. In fact one could argue that they have to exceed their competitors with fit and finish to be taken seriously. Way too many quality issues with paint and fit and finish on the C7 generation - even after the $400 million dollar paint facility opened.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

I just noticed something.... i have one of those cheap security cameras in my garage that has a nightvision/infrared functionality. When the IR is on, i can see two shades of color easily on my car and my car is not black.

I guarantee you that if every owner used an IR light to look at their car, there will be a difference. This shows me that the paint the plant uses and the one used for the hook are completely different. Its just that in OP’s case problem is much worse.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
Pretty wild in the sun, it’s for sure not black. I’m thinking GM needs to send me a whole set of “black” panels. Like I’ve said before, if this post can help others and the quality of my next Corvette, then I’ll keep my glass semi full about my ZR1s true color. Imagine if I parked this car at a car show, sitting there in the sun... this what you would see! The hood is the correct color and car is a bad mixture of black.

I am just trying to cheer you up my friend....

This actually might not be so bad. Porsche’s new gt2rs and gt3rs have a weissach package option that is worth $37,000. One of the biggest things that pack has is carbon fiber front hood that is black. So you could always tell yourself you have a more unique zr1 that has a specially colored front hood to remind you its carbon fiber like WP porsches
Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

I just noticed something.... i have one of those cheap security cameras in my garage that has a nightvision/infrared functionality. When the IR is on, i can see two shades of color easily on my car and my car is not black.

I guarantee you that if every owner used an IR light to look at their car, there will be a difference. This shows me that the paint the plant uses and the one used for the hook are completely different. Its just that in OP’s case problem is much worse.

Interesting...I’ve compared my car to at least 4 other black ZR1s. Seems mine is the worst example of BGs quality control and efforts. You can see the paint strokes in your photo. How does yours look in the sun?

I am just trying to cheer you up my friend....

This actually might not be so bad. Porsche’s new gt2rs and gt3rs have a weissach package option that is worth $37,000. One of the biggest things that pack has is carbon fiber front hood that is black. So you could always tell yourself you have a more unique zr1 that has a specially colored front hood to remind you its carbon fiber like WP porsches
So, my cousin has a WP GT2 RS in black and my good buddy has a WP GT3 RS in black haha, I asked if they could have ordered the hood painted black and you can. But in this scenario, the paint would be thinner and at least be the same paint. Funny you brought that up! I tried to build a justification case against the WP RS package but it didn’t work out lol

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 01-28-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:45 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Obvious question here is WHY DID YOU TAKE DELIVERY?? I understand the wait and the excitement, and probably didn't notice it or did and then thought "maybe I'm just imagining things". But your biggest mistake was signing the paperwork and taking delivery of it.
The following users liked this post:
iw172 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:46 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Obvious question here is WHY DID YOU TAKE DELIVERY?? I understand the wait and the excitement, and probably didn't notice it or did and then thought "maybe I'm just imagining things". But your biggest mistake was signing the paperwork and taking delivery of it.
It looked normal at 5PM dusk, the flaws started showing up a few hours later. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s

Old 02-01-2019, 08:45 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

It looked normal at 5PM dusk, the flaws started showing up a few hours later. Thanks!
Any updates with getting a resolution?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Runnn
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a 2009 C6 Coupe GT1 in black and, mine had the same issue as yours. It is the black paint formula GM (pigmentation) uses and not an actual flaw. That is one of the many reasons why I don't like GM's Corvette black color offering... too much brown, IMO. I love black but will never buy black again. Having said that, my 2015 Chevy SS is black, and it is a different shade (has a little flake in it), but, then again, it was produced in Australia. I must say that the paint on it is pretty amazing! It is definitely more of a true black.

Last edited by Runnn; 02-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Any updates with getting a resolution?
There are 2 parts sitting at my dealership, they won’t open the boxes until I bring the car in. I’ll let you know what it looks like...I’m trying to be optimistic...I’ll try and get out there on Friday.

I’m at my buddies house and his ZR1 is just sitting in the corner... his is pretty clean, very opposite of my car. Hood still is a different color yellow...BUT I noticed the inside of his Hood is cleared and shiny. Mine is all matte and oversprayed. Same with my other buddies ZR1, which just arrived last week. If I wasn’t going to lose my ***, I would’ve sold the car already for an AMG GTR.

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 02-05-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 50 shades of what color? What color is my ZR1??? Calling all black ZR1s