C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Any available Canadian ZR1 allocations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 AM
herohaki
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

in Canada you basically have to get what the dealers order while still paying markup because you're fighting with other customers, only a small number of dealers across Canada can actually place a order that you can configure and most charge markup on those custom orders.

I called across basically all dealers across Canada last year for my ZR1, most Canadian dealers only get 1 or 2 ZR1s with the largest ones getting 4 for the whole production year and they're long gone. Basically if you want one of the last ones now before production ends, the only way is that you placed the deposit and configured the order before Fall 2018 and you're on top of the list when Canada gets the last few ZR1 allocations this year. Those orders are already submitted to GM and once Canadian allocations open GM will pick those up based on the remaining allocations given to the dealer who submitted those orders.

Or you can buy lightly used ones or already configured cars, I know one white coupe and blue convertible for sale... but not alot at this point. Canadians can also import one from the US, of course that would be more expensive, but if you really want one and have no other choice you can do that.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:00 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

if there are people in canada who need help on this, im sorry i did not volunteer sooner, but i know guys who do this for a living, everything is done legally. Brand new Usa cars can be taken to canada. PM me if you have questions. You will not be the first buyer, another buyer will buy the car down here, and then instantly resell it to you as a used car, that same day. Takes about 1 month for title to arrive from dealer. You can take custody of car in USA from day 1, and store it in a safe spot in your control, here in the usa, until title comes, or it can be driven across the boarder to canada from day 1, as a "visitor", and you hold it up there until the title comes.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 AM
herohaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
if there are people in canada who need help on this, im sorry i did not volunteer sooner, but i know guys who do this for a living, everything is done legally. Brand new Usa cars can be taken to canada. PM me if you have questions. You will not be the first buyer, another buyer will buy the car down here, and then instantly resell it to you as a used car, that same day. Takes about 1 month for title to arrive from dealer. You can take custody of car in USA from day 1, and store it in a safe spot in your control, here in the usa, until title comes, or it can be driven across the boarder to canada from day 1, as a "visitor", and you hold it up there until the title comes.
um what? don't know if im misunderstanding you but got confused by what you're saying. Why do I need to find a buyer in the US for a brand new car and buy it in the same day as used? Plus I have to wait that long for the title and I have to keep the car in the US or as a foreign vehicle in Canada, isn't that just making things more complicated? After getting the title I still have to do the paperwork for export & import so what you said sounds like adding an extra step. I don't get how it's a service unless they take care of export & import which is the most complex part and we can just buy the vehicle straight to Canada.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Thank you to both Mikec7z and herohaki.

There are options if I don’t get a Canadian allocation.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by herohaki
um what? don't know if im misunderstanding you but got confused by what you're saying. Why do I need to find a buyer in the US for a brand new car and buy it in the same day as used? Plus I have to wait that long for the title and I have to keep the car in the US or as a foreign vehicle in Canada, isn't that just making things more complicated? After getting the title I still have to do the paperwork for export & import so what you said sounds like adding an extra step. I don't get how it's a service unless they take care of export & import which is the most complex part and we can just buy the vehicle straight to Canada.
Because you cant walk into a USA dealer and buy a new car and register it in canada. The answer is NO from the dealer, which means NO CORVETTE.

So lets say you tell them that you want to register it in the united states and you dont have a usa SS# and you also have a canadian license, again, red flags go up. They wont sell to you. THe only thing I have seen that works is when people start a Trust in the USA and put the cars in the trust. That still requires you to have an address here in the states and usa auto insurance on that trust.

So lets say you have an address here in the states... is it in a 0% sales tax state? Theres only 3 or so out of 50.

Do you have a drivers license in the 0% sales tax state? No?

A LEGAL property to get a license in a 0% sales tax state? No?

Cool, then even IF you get a usa dealer to sell YOU a car, and register it at an address in the other 46-47ish states, then you will be paying USA state sales tax. Lets say your state is 7% tax rate (normal)...

on a 140,000 dollar car, that is over 10,000 dollars in usa state sales tax. Now you still have to take the car back to canada.

You also miss out on the vette loyalty money of 3000 dollars because you dont have a usa title or registered vette. So now you are at +13,000 dollars compared to where the guy I know could buy the car for you.

He saves 13 grand off the top, and 3 of it he keeps, the other 10 you keep..... or dont pay him... and have fun paying more doing it your way Just being honest and straight forward.

So you still have to pay canada import tax on the car, regardless, so it would stack on top of however and whatever you do to obtain the car in the usa.

Hopefully now you understand why is a "service which one has no problem paying for"

Last, if they google your name and see you are from canada and you are trying to put the car into a trust and buying from a 0% sales tax address, they probably still wont sell to you. Dealers have the right of refusal if they believe car will leave the country in the first 6 months.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-15-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:19 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,215 Posts

^^^
This is spot on. If you want a ZR1 bad enough you can get one, but it will cost you more. Dealers may even refuse to sell to "repeat" customers if they suspect the buyer is a "broker" for a Canadian (or other foreign country) buyer. They would jeopardize their agreement with GM by knowingly selling cars for export.

Last edited by range96; 04-15-2019 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:20 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Many dealers post and read here - you posting so often about wanting one that if an allocation pops up, can you see them rub their hands ?? $$$$ Cha-ching
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Because you cant walk into a USA dealer and buy a new car and register it in canada. The answer is NO from the dealer, which means NO CORVETTE.

So lets say you tell them that you want to register it in the united states and you dont have a usa SS# and you also have a canadian license, again, red flags go up. They wont sell to you. THe only thing I have seen that works is when people start a Trust in the USA and put the cars in the trust. That still requires you to have an address here in the states and usa auto insurance on that trust.

So lets say you have an address here in the states... is it in a 0% sales tax state? Theres only 3 or so out of 50.

Cool, then even IF you get a usa dealer to sell YOU a car, and register it at an address in the other 46-47ish states, then you will be paying USA state sales tax. Lets say your state is 7% tax rate (normal)...

on a 140,000 dollar car, that is over 10,000 dollars in usa state sales tax. Now you still have to take the car back to canada.

You also miss out on the vette loyalty money of 3000 dollars because you dont have a usa title or registered vette. So now you are at +13,000 dollars compared to where the guy I know could buy the car for you.

He saves 13 grand off the top, and 3 of it he keeps, the other 10 you keep..... or dont pay him... and have fun paying more doing it your way Just being honest and straight forward.

So you still have to pay canada import tax on the car, regardless, so it would stack on top of however and whatever you do to obtain the car in the usa.

Hopefully now you understand why is a "service which one has no problem paying for"

Last, if they google your name and see you are from canada and you are trying to put the car into a trust and buying from a 0% sales tax address, they probably still wont sell to you. Dealers have the right of refusal if they believe car will leave the country in the first 6 months.
Thanks again, Mikec7z.
I’ve inquired with different US dealers through CF and they each tell me that they unfortunately cannot sell to me as a Canadian purchaser. Therefore, purchasing new through a US dealer is not an option for me.
If the law abiding options I have available yield me a new Canadian C7 ZR1, wonderful. After 2.5 years, I’ll soon know.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

what i described is legal. GM dealerships may say its not, but car salesman are not lawyers.

If you want a usa car, you can have one using the process i explained above, its something you can tell a cop about as you are doing it... its not illegal here.

If you are worried about a stranger running away with your money, there is a way to prevent that, but dont want to release his trade secrets on an open forum. They way it works, the money is always in your control. My friend has done HUNDREDS of cars for people, his reputation is spotless.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-15-2019 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vernon (04-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-atlanta.html

That car can be taken to canada no problem once it built. You guys who want a car, get ahold of me so i can explain details. At least hear the details before you decide against it.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 PM
herohaki
Advanced

is this a new rule or probably dealer specific? cuz i've bought rare cars from US and imported them to canada before with no trouble. I've also contacted US dealers on ordering a ZR last year and they had no problems selling me an order, I specifically asked if there are limitations or if I had to reregister but they were able to work something out with just having insurance and transportation to whereever I'm taking the car, but in the end I got a Canadian allocation so it saved me the trouble. Also know a bunch of folks who buy cars from Canada when they were cheaper years back and bring it to the US. It is quite common to get cars from the other side of the border either its US or Canada especially if they're limited or rare cars. It's always that the purchase isn't the hard part but crossing the border is the hardest because you need to take care of filing the paperwork for export and import and get the vehicle inspected for local safety before registration.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 PM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-atlanta.html

That car can be taken to canada no problem once it built. You guys who want a car, get ahold of me so i can explain details. At least hear the details before you decide against it.
With the current exchange rate I cant see someone importing any car from the states unless it was a life and death situation (maybe im missing something )
Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by herohaki
is this a new rule or probably dealer specific? cuz i've bought rare cars from US and imported them to canada before with no trouble. I've also contacted US dealers on ordering a ZR last year and they had no problems selling me an order, I specifically asked if there are limitations or if I had to reregister but they were able to work something out with just having insurance and transportation to whereever I'm taking the car, but in the end I got a Canadian allocation so it saved me the trouble. Also know a bunch of folks who buy cars from Canada when they were cheaper years back and bring it to the US. It is quite common to get cars from the other side of the border either its US or Canada especially if they're limited or rare cars. It's always that the purchase isn't the hard part but crossing the border is the hardest because you need to take care of filing the paperwork for export and import and get the vehicle inspected for local safety before registration.
its manufacturer and model specific... its basically about the "rare" vehicles.

But since the manufacturers care about the rare cars, they then apply the same rule to all other cars as well out of consistency.

The manufacturers penalize dealers if its found that the dealer knew or had any red flags... for the rare cars. The non rare cars, the manufacturer does not penalize the dealer... which is why dealers will break the rules on simple cars...

if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by dee zed
With the current exchange rate I cant see someone importing any car from the states unless it was a life and death situation (maybe im missing something )
and that is why GM is not shipping them to canada, they lose their butts due to the declared sticker price in canada.

A zr1 is the price of a zr1 in the usa... if you want one, pay usa prices and get one. Your exchange rate does not matter when GM is not going to send anymore allocations to canada it seems.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-16-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:26 PM
herohaki
Advanced

its manufacturer and model specific... its basically about the "rare" vehicles.

But since the manufacturers care about the rare cars, they then apply the same rule to all other cars as well out of consistency.

The manufacturers penalize dealers if its found that the dealer knew or had any red flags... for the rare cars. The non rare cars, the manufacturer does not penalize the dealer... which is why dealers will break the rules on simple cars...

if that makes sense.
I know that, but I've had no problems buying the "rarer" cars and I know people who do them alot across the border, my point is the hard part is filing paperwork for export/import and not buying the car from the dealer, thus I don't see the need to find a person to buy a car for you down there when you can do it yourself with basically no problems, and most dealers don't really care as long as you paid full for the car and own the full title.

and that is why GM is not shipping them to canada, they lose their butts due to the declared sticker price in canada.

A zr1 is the price of a zr1 in the usa... if you want one, pay usa prices and get one. Your exchange rate does not matter when GM is not going to send anymore allocations to canada it seems.
Right now Canada is still getting allocations, even though not much and those allocations are already spoken for last year, GM does prioritize US orders, but they will send a few of the last ones to Canada to take care of their last orders before ZR1 stop production, as confirmed by GM Canada.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:46 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

a car can be bought and registered in usa first, sure. But a rare car bought brand new in usa and titled from moment 1 to canada?... no way. Not a zr1 unless you find a very dumb finance manager somewhere at some random chevy store.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-16-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:01 PM
herohaki
Advanced

thats not what I said and not how it works, no car either rare or not can have a title to Canada when bought... what I'm saying is Canadians can go down and buy a car, own the title and take it back, the issue lies crossing the border and not buying from the dealer, that's why finding someone else to buy it for you seems unnecessary and doesn't solve the real problem since you still have a US car and need to do the complicated border stuff yourself.

As to registration, most dealers don't require you to register at the same state because they sell out of state all the time, most just require you to have insurance when you get it on the truck for transportation, then you can decide to file for export right away and take it to the border or choose to register at a state and drive to Canada as a US car and export at a later date. I've known people who done both. Also tax can be claimed back if the car is not kept there in most states so that's not a problem, but the border taxes you as well.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

own and title it where upon the first purchase? at what address is the vehicle registered? in usa or in canada?

what you are implying is that the dealership is going to give you the MSO Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.... and you think you are going to take the car and the MSO to the boarder and export it to canada without paying usa state sales tax or state license plate registration... and GM stopped doing that about 5 years ago...

so im sorry, i dont think you are aware of how it works anymore.

you think just because they let you register outside of their state, means they will let you register in no state, and that is not true. They make you pick A STATE. Period. Car must be registered and titled in A STATE.

if you try to title it in canada, the answer is "take a hike", they wont even sell you the car.

if you title it in the usa first, then you have to HAVE AN ADDRESS in the usa, and that address will cause you to pay state sales tax based on that address. 7% sales tax on a 140 grand car is over 10 grand...

and now im simply repeating my post from above.

If you ask for the MSO, they will say "take a hike".

Go try it your way... let me know when you want to save 10 grand using my buddy instead of your way, once you realize dealers no longer are allowed to issue MSO to customers, the dealers must supervise and handle the USA TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF THE VEHICLE, they contact the DMV and fedex them the MSO... they will not give you the MSO... if you ask for it, they tell you to take a hike and are not allowed to sell you the car, GM's rules.

Go find out instead of argue here please as you pretend im the one who is clueless.

If you manage to get an MSO instead of a title to a new zr1 you purchase in the USA, take a picture for me of the MSO, the cars vin, and you standing with the car outside/away of the dealers lot, and I'll paypal you 50 bucks on the spot. They aren't allowed to give you MSO anymore. Period.

You must register the car in the usa... period.

only chance you have of pulling this off is a REALLY DUMB finanance manager and title clerk at a dealership, and if they do this... rest assured they lost their jobs because GM has made it a rule they will PULL THE DEALERS FRANCHISE if they are caught deliberately doing this,.... so i bet you they like their franchise and chevy logo on their store more than they like you or your money.

They will wait for someone from the USA to buy the car. You mean nothing to them, you are from canada... they lose their franchise or are fined and/or lose their jobs... the moment they hand you an MSO and you register the car in canada.

now go try to prove me wrong... goodluck.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-16-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any available Canadian ZR1 allocations?

Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 AM
herohaki
Advanced

jeez... we don't even use a thing like "title" in Canada, of course you have to own the car before you even attempt to export. Also I said tax can be claimed back, unless if you're incapable of reading, that doesn't mean you don't pay tax... you pay tax and it can be claimed back. I don't want to argue with you here but I've already stated my whole point of this conversation multiple times, the hard part is CROSSING the border not BUYING the vehicle. You are free to offer whatever service but I'm just asking it seems like theres no point having someone else buy the car for you when you can do it yourself, many Canadians can and have bought so many cars in the US and brought it back, same as US people in Canada. Unless your buddy or service you offer take care of crossing the border it's not really making the process easier. Also you're paying tax anyways... don't know how you even came up with not paying tax.

So you should try to get what people are trying to get at before you get all defensive and stuff. I don't need to prove anything to you or find out anything because I've done so for many of my cars and helped my friends too. If you want to file for export/import yourself the process is very long and annoying, that's why there are companies and some transportation companies that actually offer to take care of that process, it's the first time I've heard a service not to do the export/import but to buy the car for you, hence why I'm questioning. I no longer do stuff on my own so I don't care how it really works in the middle, my friend works at a luxury car dealership and I can pick whatever car I want in the US and he can get it right here in Canada for me I just need to go through some paperworks and can buy the car in Canada. Also not just talking about Chevy, we've done Mclaren, Lamborghini, Dodge, Porsche plus many more and even when I was doing stuff on my own, never had any problems.

I think thats enough talking, if anyone wants to find someone to buy their car and still have to do everything else on their own, by all means, but not something I think its necessary. I've been in the US a long time now and dealt with many dealerships, as long as you pay full for the car meaning you own the car, they don't care what you do to it afterwards, a friend of mine even brought it to Europe for several years and shipped it back, same answer with many many different brands. Meanwhile many luxury dealerships in US also sell directly to Canada and other places in the world and can offer import/export help, it's been easier to do especially rare and limited cars for clients nowadays because of more help being offered by dealerships and other companies, it's the matter if you have the time and money and really want to do it. Process more or less is the same...

Last edited by herohaki; 04-17-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:13 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

because you have still not stated where in the usa (which state) you will be registering the vehicle. Do you have an address in the USA that you own that you can prove you live at?

No?

Then you wont be registering a car in the usa.... which under GM's new rules, you wont be buying a zr1. Neat huh?

And you think you are going to get to steps 3 4 5 6 and keep writing me long paragraphs about 3 4 5 6... when the reality is, you wont even get past step 1, to step 2 if you dont have an address to register at in the states.... so your 3 4 5 6 that you keep bragging are the tough part that you are an expert on... you are going to soon find out you are by no means an expert on steps 1 or 2.

Do you have a USA address to register at or no? If yes, what state?

Very simple question. Ive now asked it 3 times.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 04-17-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:08 AM
herohaki
Advanced

dont know why you're asking me which state I live in... why do I need to state that? I already wrote I've been in the US a long time and surprise I need an address to stay there don't I...

The dealerships I talked to I specifically asked if there are limitations from the manufacturers and they told me no, as long as I own the car, I can do whatever... Also I'm not bragging to be anything just saying what I personally asked and went through during a long time of buying and keeping cars... US has ALOT more collectible cars than Canada so this is very common for Canadian collectors. I'm certainly not an expert in step 1 because I never ran into troubles not needing me doing any research or asking around... I've already got my ZR1 and helped my friend get two ZR1s from the US, while my other Canadian friend is waiting on his to be built... I'm merely saying there're other ways to get around to the ZR1 and having someone buy the car for you doesn't solve the real problem, what can a Canadian do with a US car without sorting out the steps after? There are companies and dealers who offer those solutions therefore its easier to just use them, unless you want to go through the trouble to do everything yourself.

It just struck me as strange because I didn't understand what you are actually trying to offer, then you got really defensive... but anyways no point in continuing I guess you have your ways and I have mine, as long as people can get their cars thats all that matters...

and if you really want to know what state I'm in CA and WA...

Quick Reply: Any available Canadian ZR1 allocations?