Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 PM
serpent
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss2z06 View Post
My front bumper is similar to the picture above. It's not perfect but frankly I didn't by the car because of its fit and finish. I'm perfectly fine with it as is.
This is GM's halo car, $120k MSRP, it should be near perfect.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1 View Post
While some are picking apart every lil thing, there are unfortunately many with issues. Let's hope those with legit things get satisfactory resolutions ASAP.
You are very fortunate to have not had to deal with anything.
I just got my car back from a shop in the Nashville area that xpelled the car and then ceramic coated it. This shop deals with many exotic foreign makes, also. Although mine looks great with fit and finish I was informed that some vettes do have legitimate issues. Not all problems can be attributed to the plant but rather at the dealerships. The NCM folks took good care of mine, evidently, for the R8C. The only thing I have discovered so far is a problem with the center egg crate grill engaging with the tabs on the splitter. It will slide onto them but not grab hold. I have no idea if this is a common problem or not. I hope that all with legitimate concerns have the problems addressed satisfactorily.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:49 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Lol at people saying youíre not buying the car for the fit and finish. No- for course not. Iím didnít buy my house for kitchen but it damn well better not be falling apart when I move in.

That wojld unacceptable on a base mode Kia. For $60Ė140k, the paint better not be cracking and the bumper better line up. How is this even a debate?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 PM
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
Lol at people saying youíre not buying the car for the fit and finish. No- for course not. Iím didnít buy my house for kitchen but it damn well better not be falling apart when I move in.

That wojld unacceptable on a base mode Kia. For $60Ė140k, the paint better not be cracking and the bumper better line up. How is this even a debate?
its not. There are just a few koolaid drinkers who cant be bothered to open the blinders. I think vast majority agrees with you. They just dont bother acknowledging it because quite honestly its depressing.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 PM
blackvetterzo6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer View Post
I have a few issues my self. The bumper does not align properly and there are 2 cracks above each head light.
I pointed them out on delivery but my sales advisor told me most of the vehicles have issues on those spots and better to leave them as it is than paint the whole front. It is what it is, doesnít bother me...
Thats absolutely crazy for what you paid. I would be irate.

Thats absoulutely horrible,are you kidding me about that not really bothering you, theres no way i would accept that ****.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 PM
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6 View Post
Thats absoulutely horrible,are you kidding me about that not really bothering you, theres no way i would accept that ****.
The tips of my front bumper (where it meets the fender and headlight) are the same way. There is nothing I can do about it. I can ask for a new bumper which will mean guaranteed 5 other things going wrong.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:42 PM
ROBWILKER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by punky I find it very hard to believe that some here have the scores of issues that they claim to have with a brand new Corvette. I've owned 10 Corvettes over the past 34 years and have never had a single issue of any kind with any of them and my first was an '84. The whiners and **** fist pounders who post about 10 or 15 major issues with a new Corvette are either crazy or just haters making it up.

Here we go again....the "I've owned 10 Corvettes." The perpetual shopper......... Just another---------->
Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 PM
aaslanmd
CF Member

Hi All,
Sorry to hear about this from so many ZR1 owners, especially when my TPW was this week + will take Museum delivery the 22nd; this is a very special model Vette...
I'm sure this is an issue with ALL Vettes (I've been the proud owner of a 1998 C5 I watched come down the assembly line) + a 2007 Z06 w/ 160K miles I'm selling with the arrival of the above; both had minor/major issues, as have all my vehicles over the last 45 years of driving both foreign + domestic cars + motorcycles);I don't follow the other Vette forums, but I can't help but notice (correct me if I'm wrong) that a disproportionate number of these issues are with ZTK/"big wing" cars?...
As always, appreciate the positive input from you all!
Your thoughts???
Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 AM
ROBWILKER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaslanmd View Post
Hi All,
Sorry to hear about this from so many ZR1 owners, especially when my TPW was this week + will take Museum delivery the 22nd; this is a very special model Vette...
I'm sure this is an issue with ALL Vettes (I've been the proud owner of a 1998 C5 I watched come down the assembly line) + a 2007 Z06 w/ 160K miles I'm selling with the arrival of the above; both had minor/major issues, as have all my vehicles over the last 45 years of driving both foreign + domestic cars + motorcycles);I don't follow the other Vette forums, but I can't help but notice (correct me if I'm wrong) that a disproportionate number of these issues are with ZTK/"big wing" cars?...
As always, appreciate the positive input from you all!
Your thoughts???
I am not certain they are mostly "ZTK" big wing cars with the panel and paint issues. To my knowledge there has been no actual accounting of the ZR1 vehicles with the problems. I am aware, per numerous forum postings and personal knowledge, that complaints of similar problems on the C7 go back to the 2013 calendar year (2014 Stingray) models. The problems have been documented for Z06 and GS models too. Although I do not feel these problems are more prevalent on Corvettes than with any other domestic manufacturer's models, it is important to the future of the Corvette model how GM chooses to resolve these issues. Obviously customer expectations were higher, GM standards should be and QA has dropped the ball letting some of these vehicles out of the plant. Chances are very good your Corvette will be built and delivered without a hitch. Two of the three late model Corvettes in my garage (C6 & C7s) have had no such problems at delivery. Even though they all have CF hoods, fenders splitters and spoilers only the ZR1 ZTK did have some problems. A lot depends how your dealership handles their responsibilities. As far as the naysayers and critical commentators who participate in this forum, they contribute no solutions or positive advice to help. As an experienced owner of numerous models for many years, you should continue to happily anticipate the delivery of this fantastic performing Corvette ZR1. Wishing you the best.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:45 AM
aaslanmd
CF Member

Hi Rob!
Thanks so much! I wish all members were as constructive + informative as you! Anything made by human hands will be potentially defective (as is anything in nature). Overall, I've been satisfied with my Vettes + hope this new one will bring as much fun + dependability as the other two. I didn't get the ZTK version: prefer a more low-key appearance (if that's possible w/ this car), easier access to the hatch + "softer" suspension. Much appreciate your response + wishing you the best as well!
The Following User Says Thank You to aaslanmd For This Useful Post:
ROBWILKER (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 10:47 AM
punky
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by UnhandledException View Post
The tips of my front bumper (where it meets the fender and headlight) are the same way. There is nothing I can do about it. I can ask for a new bumper which will mean guaranteed 5 other things going wrong.
Oh really? One should expect 5 new problems after the dealer fixes the original issue? You mentioned in an earlier post that you had a heated argument with a Service Manager over your "issues". I'll bet that the employees of any dealership you deal with cringe and want to run and hide when your name is mentioned. Why don't you sell the car to someone who is not mentally compromised and will enjoy the vehicle the way every other ZR1 owner who I know of does. A good Psychologist can guide you through the process of accepting the FACT that absolutely nothing in this world is or will ever be perfect.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM
rob62
CF Senior Member

someone needs to take their own psychologist advice. Or maybe yoga.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:37 AM
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by punky View Post
Oh really? One should expect 5 new problems after the dealer fixes the original issue? You mentioned in an earlier post that you had a heated argument with a Service Manager over your "issues". I'll bet that the employees of any dealership you deal with cringe and want to run and hide when your name is mentioned. Why don't you sell the car to someone who is not mentally compromised and will enjoy the vehicle the way every other ZR1 owner who I know of does. A good Psychologist can guide you through the process of accepting the FACT that absolutely nothing in this world is or will ever be perfect.
the only heated argument i had since day one was with the guy who stood in front of me and argued that GM does not make a corvette with a wing, that my car is modified, and that warranty doesnt cover tracked cars.

and for the record, i guarantee you that if you pull 10 front bumpers from the plant more than half will have this issue with the tips being a little too high. I think its how the zr1 bumper is.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 AM
punky
CF Senior Member

the only heated argument i had since day one was with the guy who stood in front of me and argued that GM does not make a corvette with a wing, that my car is modified, and that warranty doesnt cover tracked cars.

and for the record, i guarantee you that if you pull 10 front bumpers from the plant more than half will have this issue with the tips being a little too high. I think its how the zr1 bumper is.

Your problem is not your bumper. It's OCD and you are the text book presentation of it.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 AM
ROBWILKER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rob62 View Post
someone needs to take their own psychologist advice. Or maybe yoga.
That guy is way beyond advice or help of any kind. He tried yoga and he still can't get his head out of his butt. Just spews his filthy hate and vitriol in this forum in an attempt to make himself feel more important.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Racerdj
CF Senior Member

I'm sorry to read of your defects as mine is fantastic. My hope is you get yours corrected to your approval.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by punky View Post
Your problem is not your bumper. It's OCD and you are the text book presentation of it.
punky,

Almost every person who has come to visit me to see the car has pointed out misalignments in my panels without me saying anything. You are talking complete nonsense here.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Repo Pilot
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

punky,

Almost every person who has come to visit me to see the car has pointed out misalignments in my panels without me saying anything. You are talking complete nonsense here.
Just click the block "X-box"
Old 02-10-2019, 02:21 PM
blackvetterzo6
CF Senior Member

I mean seriously, dont they inspect the car before it leaves the plant,or is the guy in the parking lot lighting another joint, come on.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:22 PM
punky
CF Senior Member

punky,

You did not take a minute or two to look over a car that was costing you $150,000? You have just stated that all these imperfections and misalignments are glaring and outstanding to the point that everyone who looks at the vehicle can point them out. You didn't see any of them before you wrote a check or signed the papers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: