C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:52 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatman
Interesting thread as I just purchased a 2019 gmc 2500 Denali and didn’t notice the rear door for a day or two until the kids couldn’t get it shut without slamming it.

I bought a 2018 Chevy Suburban Premium a couple months ago and the doors are misaligned the same way. I noted this and a couple of other minor problems at delivery. I will be making a body shop appointment soon at the dealership to have this corrected. They have been building these things so long you think they would have the assembly procedure perfected by now.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
I bought a 2018 Chevy Suburban Premium a couple months ago and the doors are misaligned the same way. I noted this and a couple of other minor problems at delivery. I will be making a body shop appointment soon at the dealership to have this corrected. They have been building these things so long you think they would have the assembly procedure perfected by now.
You would think... GM assembly quality has gone down hill as they try to do everything faster and "better".
Old 02-25-2019, 02:57 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
You would think... GM assembly quality has gone down hill as they try to do everything faster and "better".
No way. Having owned 90s and 2000's GM products, it's not even close.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:16 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
No way. Having owned 90s and 2000's GM products, it's not even close.
My four C5s were all better than my C7 regarding panel alignment. My Canyon was a great little truck too. You can tell production engineers are focused on making them more simple to assemble i.e. snap together. After taking a part a C7 vs. any C5 it's easy to see. Nearly every operation involves a trim tool and "release the tab" which is code for "pull on it and hope it releases cleanly". The whole car is snapped together... it wears out every time you take it apart.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
My four C5s were all better than my C7 regarding panel alignment. My Canyon was a great little truck too. You can tell production engineers are focused on making them more simple to assemble i.e. snap together. After taking a part a C7 vs. any C5 it's easy to see. Nearly every operation involves a trim tool and "release the tab" which is code for "pull on it and hope it releases cleanly". The whole car is snapped together... it wears out every time you take it apart.
Those 4 C5's were rare indeed. My C5Z '03 looks as though every panel was molded by different companies. Seriously! No gap anywhere looks as though it mates. Sort of like taking a five pound hammer to a puzzle to make the incorrect pieces snap into place. By comparison, my '96 C4 looks as though the lines of the panels were scored out of a solid body, every gap uniform and purposeful; absolutely beautiful. My ZR1 lines up very well, too. Got no complaints here.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (02-26-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 03:35 PM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
I find it very hard to believe that some here have the scores of issues that they claim to have with a brand new Corvette. I've owned 10 Corvettes over the past 34 years and have never had a single issue of any kind with any of them and my first was an '84. The whiners and **** fist pounders who post about 10 or 15 major issues with a new Corvette are either crazy or just haters making it up.
Oh really? One should expect 5 new problems after the dealer fixes the original issue? You mentioned in an earlier post that you had a heated argument with a Service Manager over your "issues". I'll bet that the employees of any dealership you deal with cringe and want to run and hide when your name is mentioned. Why don't you sell the car to someone who is not mentally compromised and will enjoy the vehicle the way every other ZR1 owner who I know of does. A good Psychologist can guide you through the process of accepting the FACT that absolutely nothing in this world is or will ever be perfect.
Your "POS" ZR1 that the overwhelming majority of owners love and rave about is a street legal vehicle and NOT a race car. Possibly you should have had someone build you a purpose built track car. You whining **** nit pickers are expecting a perfect show car, grocery getter, and competition track monster all in one. Doesn't work that way in the real world.Sell the damn car if you dislike it that much.

You forgot to say "Let me sell my house and a kidney so that I can cover the depreciation hit you will take" before giving that condescending advice.

I don't understand how they let you write here attacking everyone.

Our C6 was a POS. Our '14 C7 is immaculate. We love that car, inside and outside. We'd have had no recourse if we got a car delivered that way and would be swearing day in, day out. Feel so sorry for the owners and I hope they somehow get these rectified.
The following users liked this post:
Boeing7571 (03-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1