C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Took delivery of my brand new Sebring Orange ZR1 two weeks ago from the Museum and after taking some time to drive and inspect the car, I have noticed several irregularities with the paint/panels.

I've read that some C7's had some issues with paint and fitment but I would expect better for a 150k car.

On the rear bumper of my car, about 5 inches left of the Corvette emblem, there is a noticeable 2 inch "dimple" or "crease" in the paint. I am unable to feel anything on the surface so I am thinking it may be a defect in the clearcoat or underlying paint. It's quite noticeable when looking at the rear from an angle in different lighting.

In addition, there appears to be a raised "pimple" in the paint by where the front bumper meets the hood and driver side fender panel.

Lastly, the rear quarter panels don't exactly line up 100% with the lower rocker panels where the doors are.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed any quirks with the paint and finish of their cars. I have read that the paint doesn't match on the black cars' various panels but haven't read anything about the orange cars. You would expect better finish since there is a premium charge on the orange paint.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Would it show up in pictures?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:48 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Originally Posted by range96
Would it show up in pictures?
I'll try to upload some pics tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Tmill
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

I have vin # 68 and the front nose of the car is off by about 1/2" from left to right and the rear quarters on both the driver and passenger side don't really line up very well, but the paint is flawless on the car.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Here's the \"pimple" in the paint I mentioned.

The following users liked this post:
aaslanmd (02-09-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

I am going to attempt to take a pic of the rear bumper paint defect tomorrow. It shows up much more clearly in daytime.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:51 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

That sucks. I have the same color car, I just sent that and my turbo s to Esoteric Detailing in Ohio, while I was pleased with the fit and finish of my ZR1, it was close to the turbo s, fit wise. Sent the cars for paint correction and complete wrap, please beyond belief, the ZR1 just glows. I hope you get your problems fixed and can enjoy your car like I do.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

My front bumper is similar to the picture above. It's not perfect but frankly I didn't by the car because of its fit and finish. I'm perfectly fine with it as is.
The following 2 users liked this post by ss2z06:
CaddyJimz06 (02-04-2019), ilkSurfer (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

I can't seem to get a picture that shows the dimple in the rear bumper. It only appears when viewing the car from certain angles and lighting. Camera flash and lighting doesn't show it. A flashlight shining on it doesn't pick it up either. It almost looks like uneven clearcoat or perhaps the paint underneath. Kind of drives me crazy because it almost looks like a dent or crease but I can't feel a thing when I move my hand or fingers across it.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

It looks like a visit to the dealership is in your immediate future.....
Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
It looks like a visit to the dealership is in your immediate future.....
Bought the car from a dealership in Kansas due to allocation but I live in El Paso, TX. Probably just take it to a Chevy dealership in town to get it checked.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:03 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

OP. I have the same "pimple" but on the pass side same spot.

if you push on it does it feel like something is on the underside and pressed right up against it?

I suspect mine is a bracket or bolt etc pushing up on the header.
My car is a 16 Z06 but it's gray and you only notice that pimple look from low angles. Opposite of yours with bright paint.

I was going to have it addressed but never did.
I'm still covered under b2b but I am hesitant to mess with it personally.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP. I have the same "pimple" but on the pass side same spot.

if you push on it does it feel like something is on the underside and pressed right up against it?

I suspect mine is a bracket or bolt etc pushing up on the header.
My car is a 16 Z06 but it's gray and you only notice that pimple look from low angles. Opposite of yours with bright paint.

I was going to have it addressed but never did.
I'm still covered under b2b but I am hesitant to mess with it personally.
Don't feel anything when I press on it. Just notice an ever so slight bump/elevation when I run my finger over it.

I guess there's no such thing as a "perfect" paint job from the factory. I am sure some cars have more imperfections than others. Just reading similar posts from the forum and it seems like a bunch of people have issues ranging from different panel shades to orange peel to paint rubbing off at gaps too close to each other.

I will probably have my mysterious rear bumper "dimple" checked at a Chevy dealership though when I bring my car in for the 500 mile oil change.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:42 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer
I have a few issues my self. The bumper does not align properly and there are 2 cracks above each head light.
I pointed them out on delivery but my sales advisor told me most of the vehicles have issues on those spots and better to leave them as it is than paint the whole front. It is what it is, doesn’t bother me...

Holy hell.. Yeah, no way that's acceptable, not on a $30k car, much less a $130k car. Hold the factory accountable - it's the only way to affect change.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:00 AM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer
I have a few issues my self. The bumper does not align properly and there are 2 cracks above each head light.
I pointed them out on delivery but my sales advisor told me most of the vehicles have issues on those spots and better to leave them as it is than paint the whole front. It is what it is, doesn’t bother me...

Thankfully mine arrived in perfect order #181 Im sorry that yours did not . How do they let it leave the factory this ? I say fire the crew and whoever signed off on the cars release .
Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Welcome to owning a $150k GM car. I have similar issues with my car. After spending weeks on arguing with the dealer I paid out of my pocket to correct the paint issues. I still need new parts for some other issues. I also need body panel realignment which i will tackle myself.

Car itself is amazing. Drive terrain, the actual engineering went into it is clearly world class. If you inspect the undercarriage, the engine, or anything mechanical, it is truly in another league. The suspension components, the cooling, the way aero is engineered.... they are all amazing. You really need to have an engineering background to appreciate the thought went into this car. So I applaud the people who built this car and in that regard I am so happy (and this is probably why i am not selling the car).

But the fit and finish is just truly embarrassing for $150k. This car does not have the interior or exterior panel fit and finish of a $40,000 BMW 3 series, period. I am not commenting on the “material quality” here but the workmenship. The labor is truly not anywhere near comparable. I have owned a 335i about a decade ago and its mind blowing how there can be such variety of panel gaps on this car.

I found massive gaps of interior panel components as well. For example open the passenger door and take a look at the side of the glove compartment/front dashboard connection. Mine has a 3/4” big triangle shape empty slot there! Or on the driver’s side front dash to air duct connection, the gap is about 1/4” and if you press on the dash, it just moves as if its not connected to anything. The subaru impreza I drove did not have this type of stuff neither is a Tesla Model S my friend has which him and I had extensively inspected when he took delivery.

All i can attribute this to is the laziness of assembly workers. Sorry, no disrespect here but we see other cars come out of the assembly line with perfect panel alignment. Perfect paint. The variety in “build quality” is attributeable to assembly workers not doing a good job. And if you watch youtube videos of corvette being built, you can see what I mean. If every car coming out was like this, it would be one thing but thats not the case is it. In this day and age, people who are lazy and not doing a good job do not deserve that job. Everyone thinks they are entitled to a job, they are not.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 02-05-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:52 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Those paint chips caused by panel rub can be fixed by a shop that does airbrushing.
ilkSurfer (02-05-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

My internal thoughts about my ZR1 when everyone askes me about, I just say it’s a fast POS... my car is pretty awful, massive list of imperfections AND my car went through audit!!! It’s time for a new factory and new hires. Just sickens me and GM doesn’t care, that’s the worst part.

I also smacked all 4 fender liners during my heat cycles on track? Like WTF, I barely loaded the suspension. This car is a joke...I don’t “love” my ZR1.

Sorry you’re having issues as well....GM needs to start secret shopping other manufacturers ownership experiences.

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 02-05-2019 at 08:46 AM.
bbison (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
My internal thoughts about my ZR1 when everyone askes me about, I just say it’s a fast POS... my car is pretty awful, massive list of imperfections AND my car went through audit!!! It’s time for a new factory and new hires. Just sickens me and GM doesn’t care, that’s the worst part.

I also smacked all 4 fender liners during my heat cycles on track? Like WTF, I barely loaded the suspension. This car is a joke...I don’t “love” my ZR1.

Sorry you’re having issues as well....GM needs to start secret shopping other manufacturers ownership experiences.
Your "POS" ZR1 that the overwhelming majority of owners love and rave about is a street legal vehicle and NOT a race car. Possibly you should have had someone build you a purpose built track car. You whining **** nit pickers are expecting a perfect show car, grocery getter, and competition track monster all in one. Doesn't work that way in the real world.Sell the damn car if you dislike it that much.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Default quality

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Welcome to owning a $150k GM car. I have similar issues with my car. After spending weeks on arguing with the dealer I paid out of my pocket to correct the paint issues. I still need new parts for some other issues. I also need body panel realignment which i will tackle myself.

Car itself is amazing. Drive terrain, the actual engineering went into it is clearly world class. If you inspect the undercarriage, the engine, or anything mechanical, it is truly in another league. The suspension components, the cooling, the way aero is engineered.... they are all amazing. You really need to have an engineering background to appreciate the thought went into this car. So I applaud the people who built this car and in that regard I am so happy (and this is probably why i am not selling the car).

But the fit and finish is just truly embarrassing for $150k. This car does not have the interior or exterior panel fit and finish of a $40,000 BMW 3 series, period. I am not commenting on the “material quality” here but the workmenship. The labor is truly not anywhere near comparable. I have owned a 335i about a decade ago and its mind blowing how there can be such variety of panel gaps on this car.

I found massive gaps of interior panel components as well. For example open the passenger door and take a look at the side of the glove compartment/front dashboard connection. Mine has a 3/4” big triangle shape empty slot there! Or on the driver’s side front dash to air duct connection, the gap is about 1/4” and if you press on the dash, it just moves as if its not connected to anything. The subaru impreza I drove did not have this type of stuff neither is a Tesla Model S my friend has which him and I had extensively inspected when he took delivery.

All i can attribute this to is the laziness of assembly workers. Sorry, no disrespect here but we see other cars come out of the assembly line with perfect panel alignment. Perfect paint. The variety in “build quality” is attributeable to assembly workers not doing a good job. And if you watch youtube videos of corvette being built, you can see what I mean. If every car coming out was like this, it would be one thing but thats not the case is it. In this day and age, people who are lazy and not doing a good job do not deserve that job. Everyone thinks they are entitled to a job, they are not.
I completely agree. I've toured the factory many times. It's unbelievable how lax the workers there are. Spoiled doesn't quite say it!

Quick Reply: Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1