C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Your "POS" ZR1 that the overwhelming majority of owners love and rave about is a street legal vehicle and NOT a race car. Possibly you should have had someone build you a purpose built track car. You whining **** nit pickers are expecting a perfect show car, grocery getter, and competition track monster all in one. Doesn't work that way in the real world.Sell the damn car if you dislike it that much.
I’m talking about MY car and there are many other ZR1s that have similar issues. I have a race car as well 😘
Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer
I have a few issues my self. The bumper does not align properly and there are 2 cracks above each head light.
I pointed them out on delivery but my sales advisor told me most of the vehicles have issues on those spots and better to leave them as it is than paint the whole front. It is what it is, doesn’t bother me...
Your Sales advisor needs a CLUE! The bumpers had the same issue on the C6's . It can be adjusted.. Both my C6s had it and my C7Z but not the C7ZR The cracks and other issues are UNACCEPTABLE!
Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP. I have the same "pimple" but on the pass side same spot.
if you push on it does it feel like something is on the underside and pressed right up against it?
I suspect mine is a bracket or bolt etc pushing up on the header.
My car is a 16 Z06 but it's gray and you only notice that pimple look from low angles. Opposite of yours with bright paint.
I was going to have it addressed but never did.
I'm still covered under b2b but I am hesitant to mess with it personally.
Mine has that on the passenger diffuser.. It's hard to see, but my Body guy noted it at Delivery. There was a broken harness which is common underneath. Still left a "crease" when repaired. I will look at getting it replaced when I get back to Michigan, the dealerships I've gone to in Florida are IDIOTS. Don't even start me on Chevy Customer service. The General needs to STEP it up. I am lucky I know people who really do care but for others who do not it's a joke.

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
My internal thoughts about my ZR1 when everyone askes me about, I just say it’s a fast POS... my car is pretty awful, massive list of imperfections AND my car went through audit!!! It’s time for a new factory and new hires. Just sickens me and GM doesn’t care, that’s the worst part.

I also smacked all 4 fender liners during my heat cycles on track? Like WTF, I barely loaded the suspension. This car is a joke...I don’t “love” my ZR1.

Sorry you’re having issues as well....GM needs to start secret shopping other manufacturers ownership experiences.
One complaint I hear over and over, you have this car that can run with the exotics but the service that comes with it at times is embarrassing
I have ZERO use for calling Chevy Customer service and expecting help.

The following users liked this post:
aaslanmd (02-09-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:59 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I find it very hard to believe that some here have the scores of issues that they claim to have with a brand new Corvette. I've owned 10 Corvettes over the past 34 years and have never had a single issue of any kind with any of them and my first was an '84. The whiners and **** fist pounders who post about 10 or 15 major issues with a new Corvette are either crazy or just haters making it up.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:10 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

I find it very hard to believe that some here have the scores of issues that they claim to have with a brand new Corvette. I've owned 10 Corvettes over the past 34 years and have never had a single issue of any kind with any of them and my first was an '84. The whiners and **** fist pounders who post about 10 or 15 major issues with a new Corvette are either crazy or just haters making it up.
While some are picking apart every lil thing, there are unfortunately many with issues. Let's hope those with legit things get satisfactory resolutions ASAP.
You are very fortunate to have not had to deal with anything.
The following users liked this post:
aaslanmd (02-09-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I have 3 Corvettes. The panel fit and paint on the C3 is average at best for any production car of its day. I would judge the Torch Red ‘10 GS to be very very good and the WGG ZR1 to be excellent.. I’ve been all over every square inch of these cars as I hand wash, wax and polish them myself often. No complaints here.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:29 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

The fact that quality is hit or miss proves the point that the issue is NOT the material quality OR engineering but rather the workmenship quality. I wholeheartedly believe some cars have no issues. They are probably put together by more experienced assembly workers. But then some cars are not that way. That shows me there is a variation in the quality of the assembly workers.

My car has quite obvious panel alignment issues. It also has quite obvious internal panel issues.

Then there are issues with these carbon fiber parts. I think the fact that they are hand made adds to the problem.

So when you compound the assembly line issues to the carbon fiber issues then you end up with a dozen issues on a brand new car.

The experience with the chevy dealerships has been quite absymal. As I said, the last dealer I visited flat out argued with me about my car being not stock and that there is no corvette with a wing. I had to spend 10 minutes to convince them which ended with an embarrassing moment.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Your "POS" ZR1 that the overwhelming majority of owners love and rave about is a street legal vehicle and NOT a race car. Possibly you should have had someone build you a purpose built track car. You whining **** nit pickers are expecting a perfect show car, grocery getter, and competition track monster all in one. Doesn't work that way in the real world.Sell the damn car if you dislike it that much.
Ugh, you haven't seen race cars up close have you?
If I'm buying a street car, I expect my paint to match, my fenders to line up and my paint not to crack. This is 2019- it's not hard to get body panels right. Literally, everyone else does it on cars that cost a fraction as much. It shouldn't be this hard.

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
The fact that quality is hit or miss proves the point that the issue is NOT the material quality OR engineering but rather the workmenship quality. I wholeheartedly believe some cars have no issues. They are probably put together by more experienced assembly workers. But then some cars are not that way. That shows me there is a variation in the quality of the assembly workers.

My car has quite obvious panel alignment issues. It also has quite obvious internal panel issues.

Then there are issues with these carbon fiber parts. I think the fact that they are hand made adds to the problem.

So when you compound the assembly line issues to the carbon fiber issues then you end up with a dozen issues on a brand new car.

The experience with the chevy dealerships has been quite absymal. As I said, the last dealer I visited flat out argued with me about my car being not stock and that there is no corvette with a wing. I had to spend 10 minutes to convince them which ended with an embarrassing moment.
Very likely, it is engineering. Manufacturing process/specs, allowances, quality and even design are all responsible. This isn't 1921 where they're hand making body panels. If bolts were missing/not tight or something, sure, but these aren't assembly issues.

My Grand Sport has body gaps in the rear that aren't acceptable. I tried to adjust it myself and it didn't get better. I touched a wall (barely) and had to get a new OEM bumper. It got a LOT better, but still had gaps. 6 months later, some jackass hit it in a parking lot. They took the bumper off, repainted it and it had the exact same body gaps. It's the parts and/or design causing it.

and it's not the hand made carbon parts people are complaining about for the most part. It's the bumper lining up to the quarter panels. The paint on my rear vent scoops is noticably different than the quarter panels. GM said it's just the different angle of the light. Me and my service advisor were baffled. It's yellower.

Last edited by village idiot; 02-05-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

What is it with you guys, did you not take one minute to look over your $150,000 car before you paid for it? Unmatched color, paint chipped, grossly misaligned body panels. You did not see any of that stuff?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 PM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What is it with you guys, did you not take one minute to look over your $150,000 car before you paid for it? Unmatched color, paint chipped, grossly misaligned body panels. You did not see any of that stuff?
It's not as easy as you make it sound given how the car was delivered. Some of the defects, like mine on the rear bumper, can only be seen in certain lighting.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:44 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06
It's not as easy as you make it sound given how the car was delivered. Some of the defects, like mine on the rear bumper, can only be seen in certain lighting.
I didn't see my car (granted not a ZR1) before it was delivered. IDK, I'm buying a new car. I don't need to see it in person. I expect that my pant isn't cracking.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:04 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

True, but wouldn't you have the opportunity to refuse acceptance of delivery? I can't remember the fine print on a new sales order. Dealer would predictably offer to repair it but then at least 50% of the time wouldn't be able to correct it 100%. Still should be able to refuse it, right? If GM got enough of this back, they will step up the quality checks at the factory. Not all of this issues are assembly problems; most of it would be supplier problems. If plastic body panels are not straight, square, or are over/under sized, no amount of adjustment can fix that. Final QC should include a check of these panel gaps and paint and pulled aside if one fails so defective panels can be pulled off and sent back. This would present headaches for GM and the suppliers but should motivate them to step it up if the buyers push back at the dealership level.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Anything u like
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a few issues my self. The bumper does not align properly and there are 2 cracks above each head light.
I pointed them out on delivery but my sales advisor told me most of the vehicles have issues on those spots and better to leave them as it is than paint the whole front. It is what it is, doesn’t bother me...

Dude, those cracks are COMPLETELY unacceptable. I feel your pain.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:16 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

I am not in pain. Love my ZR1. I could care less about those cracks.
Never thought of refuing delivery. This car is awesome.
The problem with this situation is people like you - no offense here. For every 1 person who makes an issue out of these problems, there are 3-4 like you who accept that these issues are part of owning a Corvette. To these people, car is a “bargain”, hence these problems are acceptable and hence the company selling them gets away with it.

Imagine a GT3 being delivered in this condition. Well actually I cant imagine a GT3 being delivered in this condition so I dont know how to complete that sentence
Old 02-07-2019, 06:16 PM
dee zed
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Anything u like
Dude, those cracks are COMPLETELY unacceptable. I feel your pain.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

And I do not believe you
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 AM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Punky Brewster needs a screw tightened
Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyJimz06

Here's the "pimple" in the paint I mentioned.

The quarter to rocker joint gap is somewhat common. You can adjust it by loosening all the quarter screws (4-5 under hatch, 3 in door jamb, one bolt under fender liner holding quarter to rocker. You have to hold it just right and tighten the lower door jamb screw first and then the bolt inside wheel well with liner out. After than you can do all the rest. These are composite panels and the torque specs are like 28 in/lbs... I do finger tight/snug with my torx driver, no ratchet handle. They don't do this at the plant... they set the quarters on and tighten and some end up like yours. On my 2014 I actually had to pull the passenger side quarter and take a dremel to a high spot on the underside of the panel stopping it from lining up.

I personally would have refused delivery. That's 100% not normal. If you follow C7s the 2014-2017s have issues with paint peeling where the bumpers meet the fenders, but it peels on the bumper side. That is a paint defect on the actual fender. Also the bumper to fender alignment inboard of the headlight is very poor.

Makes me sad to see this as I want to buy a new C8 and was hoping the plant's move to the skillet system and the new paint shop and fixed all this. They slowed the production rates down and moved to the skillets so the chassis was loaded while they were installing body panels to increase alignment accuracy... but I keep seeing 2019s with the same old issues.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 02-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Old 02-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I wonder if this is a function of ZR1 panel production not being fully sorted. Panel misalignment and paint flaws were seen regularly on old plant C7s in earlier MYs, but new Stingrays, Z06s, and GSs coming out of the new plant have been pretty good. I haven't heard complaints recently about paint and panel problems on the other new plant C7 models, but we used to hear it a lot.

My new plant car is essentially perfect with regard to paint quality and panel gaps.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:48 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

I had a number of issues with my blue ZR1 hood with paint color and metallic reflective mismatch, hood clear coat "smear or smudge- like" defects, small circular grinder or sander grooves benath the color coat, small impurity in halo paint and a nickel size ding in the hatch panel adjacent the window. Also, had scrape on front splitter driver side small "canard". The splitter was promptly replaced by GM. The dealer could not mitigate the remaining defects and I await a solution from GM. I have been unable to bring vehicle for repairs due to extreme cold temps and summer-only tires. Best of luck. I feel you will get your problems resolved.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:31 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

I hesitate to criiticize you, it's your car, if it really doesn't bother you but are you kidding? Some salesperson convinces you that you are better off accepting this obvious defect. Those are the type of problems that will become big problems over time. Little cracks become big cracks. When they do, you will be unable to rectify them because you accept them and you no longer have a warranty. Better yet, you can be accused of making the problem worse. It does happen. GM will stand behind these defects. I am not saying you are but some people go on to blame the manufacturere for shoddy work or failure to repair them when the owner is unwilling to take the necessary steps to repair them. You will get tired of people pointing out these problems to you especially on Chevrolet's halo car. Have GM fix it correctly. IMO

Quick Reply: Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1