Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

 
Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 PM
  #1  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 273
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1

Took delivery of my brand new Sebring Orange ZR1 two weeks ago from the Museum and after taking some time to drive and inspect the car, I have noticed several irregularities with the paint/panels.

I've read that some C7's had some issues with paint and fitment but I would expect better for a 150k car.

On the rear bumper of my car, about 5 inches left of the Corvette emblem, there is a noticeable 2 inch "dimple" or "crease" in the paint. I am unable to feel anything on the surface so I am thinking it may be a defect in the clearcoat or underlying paint. It's quite noticeable when looking at the rear from an angle in different lighting.

In addition, there appears to be a raised "pimple" in the paint by where the front bumper meets the hood and driver side fender panel.

Lastly, the rear quarter panels don't exactly line up 100% with the lower rocker panels where the doors are.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed any quirks with the paint and finish of their cars. I have read that the paint doesn't match on the black cars' various panels but haven't read anything about the orange cars. You would expect better finish since there is a premium charge on the orange paint.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:29 PM
  #2  
range96
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,174
Thanked 95 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Would it show up in pictures?
range96 is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 PM
  #3  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 273
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
Would it show up in pictures?
I'll try to upload some pics tomorrow.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:51 PM
  #4  
Tmill
CF Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 80
Thanked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I have vin # 68 and the front nose of the car is off by about 1/2" from left to right and the rear quarters on both the driver and passenger side don't really line up very well, but the paint is flawless on the car.
Tmill is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 PM
  #5  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 273
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default


Here's the \"pimple" in the paint I mentioned.


CaddyJimz06 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CaddyJimz06 For This Useful Post:
aaslanmd (02-09-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:37 PM
  #6  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 273
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I am going to attempt to take a pic of the rear bumper paint defect tomorrow. It shows up much more clearly in daytime.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 AM
  #7  
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Huntingdon Valley Pa
Posts: 18,678
Thanked 352 Times in 280 Posts
Default

That sucks. I have the same color car, I just sent that and my turbo s to Esoteric Detailing in Ohio, while I was pleased with the fit and finish of my ZR1, it was close to the turbo s, fit wise. Sent the cars for paint correction and complete wrap, please beyond belief, the ZR1 just glows. I hope you get your problems fixed and can enjoy your car like I do.
hcvone is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:48 PM
  #8  
ss2z06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 965
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Default

My front bumper is similar to the picture above. It's not perfect but frankly I didn't by the car because of its fit and finish. I'm perfectly fine with it as is.
ss2z06 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ss2z06 For This Useful Post:
CaddyJimz06 (02-04-2019), ilkSurfer (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 PM
  #9  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 273
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I can't seem to get a picture that shows the dimple in the rear bumper. It only appears when viewing the car from certain angles and lighting. Camera flash and lighting doesn't show it. A flashlight shining on it doesn't pick it up either. It almost looks like uneven clearcoat or perhaps the paint underneath. Kind of drives me crazy because it almost looks like a dent or crease but I can't feel a thing when I move my hand or fingers across it.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:44 PM
  #10  
Steven Bell
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Steven Bell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 16,759
Thanked 3,655 Times in 2,272 Posts
St. Jude Donor'15
Default

It looks like a visit to the dealership is in your immediate future.....
Steven Bell is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 PM
  #11  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 273
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steven Bell View Post
It looks like a visit to the dealership is in your immediate future.....
Bought the car from a dealership in Kansas due to allocation but I live in El Paso, TX. Probably just take it to a Chevy dealership in town to get it checked.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 PM
  #12  
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member
 
16/C7Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,156
Thanked 1,160 Times in 899 Posts
Default

OP. I have the same "pimple" but on the pass side same spot.

if you push on it does it feel like something is on the underside and pressed right up against it?

I suspect mine is a bracket or bolt etc pushing up on the header.
My car is a 16 Z06 but it's gray and you only notice that pimple look from low angles. Opposite of yours with bright paint.

I was going to have it addressed but never did.
I'm still covered under b2b but I am hesitant to mess with it personally.
16/C7Z is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 11:58 PM
  #13  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 273
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z View Post
OP. I have the same "pimple" but on the pass side same spot.

if you push on it does it feel like something is on the underside and pressed right up against it?

I suspect mine is a bracket or bolt etc pushing up on the header.
My car is a 16 Z06 but it's gray and you only notice that pimple look from low angles. Opposite of yours with bright paint.

I was going to have it addressed but never did.
I'm still covered under b2b but I am hesitant to mess with it personally.
Don't feel anything when I press on it. Just notice an ever so slight bump/elevation when I run my finger over it.

I guess there's no such thing as a "perfect" paint job from the factory. I am sure some cars have more imperfections than others. Just reading similar posts from the forum and it seems like a bunch of people have issues ranging from different panel shades to orange peel to paint rubbing off at gaps too close to each other.

I will probably have my mysterious rear bumper "dimple" checked at a Chevy dealership though when I bring my car in for the 500 mile oil change.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 02:42 AM
  #14  
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member
 
Dan_the_C5_Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta metro Ga.
Posts: 5,347
Thanked 318 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer View Post
I have a few issues my self. The bumper does not align properly and there are 2 cracks above each head light.
I pointed them out on delivery but my sales advisor told me most of the vehicles have issues on those spots and better to leave them as it is than paint the whole front. It is what it is, doesn’t bother me...





Holy hell.. Yeah, no way that's acceptable, not on a $30k car, much less a $130k car. Hold the factory accountable - it's the only way to affect change.
Dan_the_C5_Man is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 07:00 AM
  #15  
dee zed
CF Senior Member
 
dee zed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 139
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer View Post
I have a few issues my self. The bumper does not align properly and there are 2 cracks above each head light.
I pointed them out on delivery but my sales advisor told me most of the vehicles have issues on those spots and better to leave them as it is than paint the whole front. It is what it is, doesn’t bother me...





Thankfully mine arrived in perfect order #181 Im sorry that yours did not . How do they let it leave the factory this ? I say fire the crew and whoever signed off on the cars release .
dee zed is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 AM
  #16  
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 575
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Welcome to owning a $150k GM car. I have similar issues with my car. After spending weeks on arguing with the dealer I paid out of my pocket to correct the paint issues. I still need new parts for some other issues. I also need body panel realignment which i will tackle myself.

Car itself is amazing. Drive terrain, the actual engineering went into it is clearly world class. If you inspect the undercarriage, the engine, or anything mechanical, it is truly in another league. The suspension components, the cooling, the way aero is engineered.... they are all amazing. You really need to have an engineering background to appreciate the thought went into this car. So I applaud the people who built this car and in that regard I am so happy (and this is probably why i am not selling the car).

But the fit and finish is just truly embarrassing for $150k. This car does not have the interior or exterior panel fit and finish of a $40,000 BMW 3 series, period. I am not commenting on the “material quality” here but the workmenship. The labor is truly not anywhere near comparable. I have owned a 335i about a decade ago and its mind blowing how there can be such variety of panel gaps on this car.

I found massive gaps of interior panel components as well. For example open the passenger door and take a look at the side of the glove compartment/front dashboard connection. Mine has a 3/4” big triangle shape empty slot there! Or on the driver’s side front dash to air duct connection, the gap is about 1/4” and if you press on the dash, it just moves as if its not connected to anything. The subaru impreza I drove did not have this type of stuff neither is a Tesla Model S my friend has which him and I had extensively inspected when he took delivery.

All i can attribute this to is the laziness of assembly workers. Sorry, no disrespect here but we see other cars come out of the assembly line with perfect panel alignment. Perfect paint. The variety in “build quality” is attributeable to assembly workers not doing a good job. And if you watch youtube videos of corvette being built, you can see what I mean. If every car coming out was like this, it would be one thing but thats not the case is it. In this day and age, people who are lazy and not doing a good job do not deserve that job. Everyone thinks they are entitled to a job, they are not.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 02-05-2019 at 08:34 AM.
UnhandledException is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 AM
  #17  
robertbruce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
robertbruce's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Location: Morrill Nebraska
Posts: 3,409
Thanked 1,163 Times in 803 Posts
Default

Those paint chips caused by panel rub can be fixed by a shop that does airbrushing.
robertbruce is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to robertbruce For This Useful Post:
ilkSurfer (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:07 AM
  #18  
SilveradoSS500
CF Senior Member
 
SilveradoSS500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 650
Thanked 74 Times in 36 Posts
Default

My internal thoughts about my ZR1 when everyone askes me about, I just say it’s a fast POS... my car is pretty awful, massive list of imperfections AND my car went through audit!!! It’s time for a new factory and new hires. Just sickens me and GM doesn’t care, that’s the worst part.

I also smacked all 4 fender liners during my heat cycles on track? Like WTF, I barely loaded the suspension. This car is a joke...I don’t “love” my ZR1.

Sorry you’re having issues as well....GM needs to start secret shopping other manufacturers ownership experiences.

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 02-05-2019 at 09:46 AM.
SilveradoSS500 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SilveradoSS500 For This Useful Post:
bbison (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:19 AM
  #19  
punky
CF Senior Member
 
punky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Bonita Springs FL
Posts: 3,302
Thanked 261 Times in 174 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500 View Post
My internal thoughts about my ZR1 when everyone askes me about, I just say it’s a fast POS... my car is pretty awful, massive list of imperfections AND my car went through audit!!! It’s time for a new factory and new hires. Just sickens me and GM doesn’t care, that’s the worst part.

I also smacked all 4 fender liners during my heat cycles on track? Like WTF, I barely loaded the suspension. This car is a joke...I don’t “love” my ZR1.

Sorry you’re having issues as well....GM needs to start secret shopping other manufacturers ownership experiences.
Your "POS" ZR1 that the overwhelming majority of owners love and rave about is a street legal vehicle and NOT a race car. Possibly you should have had someone build you a purpose built track car. You whining **** nit pickers are expecting a perfect show car, grocery getter, and competition track monster all in one. Doesn't work that way in the real world.Sell the damn car if you dislike it that much.
punky is online now  
Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM
  #20  
Thomasmoto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Thomasmoto's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: GREER SC
Posts: 4,575
Thanked 284 Times in 240 Posts
Default quality

Originally Posted by UnhandledException View Post
Welcome to owning a $150k GM car. I have similar issues with my car. After spending weeks on arguing with the dealer I paid out of my pocket to correct the paint issues. I still need new parts for some other issues. I also need body panel realignment which i will tackle myself.

Car itself is amazing. Drive terrain, the actual engineering went into it is clearly world class. If you inspect the undercarriage, the engine, or anything mechanical, it is truly in another league. The suspension components, the cooling, the way aero is engineered.... they are all amazing. You really need to have an engineering background to appreciate the thought went into this car. So I applaud the people who built this car and in that regard I am so happy (and this is probably why i am not selling the car).

But the fit and finish is just truly embarrassing for $150k. This car does not have the interior or exterior panel fit and finish of a $40,000 BMW 3 series, period. I am not commenting on the “material quality” here but the workmenship. The labor is truly not anywhere near comparable. I have owned a 335i about a decade ago and its mind blowing how there can be such variety of panel gaps on this car.

I found massive gaps of interior panel components as well. For example open the passenger door and take a look at the side of the glove compartment/front dashboard connection. Mine has a 3/4” big triangle shape empty slot there! Or on the driver’s side front dash to air duct connection, the gap is about 1/4” and if you press on the dash, it just moves as if its not connected to anything. The subaru impreza I drove did not have this type of stuff neither is a Tesla Model S my friend has which him and I had extensively inspected when he took delivery.

All i can attribute this to is the laziness of assembly workers. Sorry, no disrespect here but we see other cars come out of the assembly line with perfect panel alignment. Perfect paint. The variety in “build quality” is attributeable to assembly workers not doing a good job. And if you watch youtube videos of corvette being built, you can see what I mean. If every car coming out was like this, it would be one thing but thats not the case is it. In this day and age, people who are lazy and not doing a good job do not deserve that job. Everyone thinks they are entitled to a job, they are not.
I completely agree. I've toured the factory many times. It's unbelievable how lax the workers there are. Spoiled doesn't quite say it!
Thomasmoto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory paint and panel defects on new ZR1


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: