C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Blower pulley swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Default Blower pulley swap

I'm looking at swapping the blower pulley on my zr1 and looked up the design of the blower to see if it is like the ls9/lsa. I see that it appears to be easier. (appears) It looks like I can unbolt the hub (4 bolts) and remove the hub/snout/pulley assembly. At that point I can just use my press to remove and install the new pulley. I realize appearances can be deceiving and am looking for some first hand experience. Is this as straight forward as it appears? I have access to gm dealerworld and that is where I looked up to see how it is all assembled. As a somewhat related side note is anyone familiar with which pulley weapon x installs in their 900 kit? I want to order the proper one but see different sizes (7%, 15%). I called but couldn't get a straight answer on it.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:13 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default $0.02

* My understanding is that at this point in time the stock computer cannot be reprogrammed/tuned.

* However the other C7 Corvettes from the factory (Stingray/Z06) are programed to add or subtract fuel/timing depending on conditions; adding up to or minus approx. 25% fuel as necessary to keep things in spec/safe which also entails the ECM adding or removing timing.

* From what I have read on the Z06 forum at least one person has gotten away with adding a 9% pulley on a stock tune Z06 with some bolt-ons. His results were a power increase and knock levels unchanged from the stock tune/setup. SO, "if" I were to change pulleys it would be the 7% (not the 15 which requires a tune on the Z06) and log/check that everything is OK as I gradually increased engine output till I was sure going from Zero to Hero on the throttle was not a problem.

PS: I would also consider adding a little 'Boostane' octane booster to the gas, maybe enough to increase the octane up to 95/96 or 'so' for a little extra margin or punch.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
* My understanding is that at this point in time the stock computer cannot be reprogrammed/tuned.

* However the other C7 Corvettes from the factory (Stingray/Z06) are programed to added or subtract fuel/timing depending on conditions; adding up to or minus approx. 25% fuel as necessary to keep things in spec/safe which also entails the ECM adding or removing timing.

* From what I have read on the Z06 forum at least one person has gotten away with adding a 9% pulley on a stock tune Z06 with some bolt-ons. His results were a power increase and knock levels unchanged from the stock tune. SO, "if" I were to change pulleys it would be the 7% (not the 15 which requires a tune on the Z06) and log/check that everything is OK as I gradually increased engine output till I was sure going from Zero to Hero on the throttle was not a problem.

PS: I would also consider adding a little 'Boostane' octane booster to the gas, maybe enough to increase the octane up to 95/96 or 'so' for a little extra margin or punch.
thank you. That’s definitely good information. I was planning to run a higher octane fuel to be safe. I know a few people here are running with pulleys (untuned since no option is available) and the car is able to handle it. Before diving in I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something on the labor portion of it. I’m hoping it’s as straight forward as it appears.

Get notified of new replies

To Blower pulley swap

Quick Reply: Blower pulley swap