Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Insurance options?

 
Old 02-21-2019, 06:16 PM
  #1  
Palantirion
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Palantirion's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: California
Posts: 533
Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
Default Insurance options?

I am currently adding my ZR1 to my AAA coverage. My annual premium for that car will be $1,705 and that's will multicar/house/garaged/alarm/good driver/etc.discounts virtually no miles being put on it (sub-5k), and no commuting. Along with my art cars I am considering finding a proper collector car carrier instead. I am now open to suggestions. I am in CA.
Palantirion is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 PM
  #2  
corvettewill
CF Senior Member
 
corvettewill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Pomona, California
Posts: 1,690
Thanked 224 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Try Geico,good rates, good service.
corvettewill is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 06:57 PM
  #3  
vetteb_96C
CF Senior Member
 
vetteb_96C's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: Michigan mi
Posts: 628
Thanked 140 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
I am currently adding my ZR1 to my AAA coverage. My annual premium for that car will be $1,705 and that's will multicar/house/garaged/alarm/good driver/etc.discounts virtually no miles being put on it (sub-5k), and no commuting. Along with my art cars I am considering finding a proper collector car carrier instead. I am now open to suggestions. I am in CA.
Thats good! I have all the discounts, perfect record/credit score and mine is $3600/yr in Michigan. Although I store it during the winter.

Try Hagerty, they were cheaper annually but wouldn't let me store it and remove the collision so it wouldn't work for me.

Last edited by vetteb_96C; 02-21-2019 at 06:58 PM.
vetteb_96C is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:06 PM
  #4  
Rinaldo Catria
CF Senior Member
 
Rinaldo Catria's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Thanked 243 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
I am currently adding my ZR1 to my AAA coverage. My annual premium for that car will be $1,705 and that's will multicar/house/garaged/alarm/good driver/etc.discounts virtually no miles being put on it (sub-5k), and no commuting. Along with my art cars I am considering finding a proper collector car carrier instead. I am now open to suggestions. I am in CA.
. That quote is actually resonable comparing it to similar situation in Michigan. I wonder if the ins co figures the car will be spending half of its time being CERTIFIED for emmission requirements in CA. .

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 02-21-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Rinaldo Catria is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 PM
  #5  
CaddyJimz06
CF Senior Member
 
CaddyJimz06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 279
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by corvettewill View Post
Try Geico,good rates, good service.
Geico for me is awesome. I am 32 living in El Paso, TX. I insured my brand new ZR1 along with my 04 Z06, my wife's new 2018 Prius, and my daily 2015 Spark, all for a total of $331 a month. My ZR1 is $119 a month for 100k/300k full coverage under Geico.
CaddyJimz06 is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 PM
  #6  
jamesw2066
CF Senior Member
 
jamesw2066's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Suffolk VA
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by corvettewill View Post
Try Geico,good rates, good service.
Geico was the most difficult company Iíve ever had to deal with when I had a claim. Almost had to get an attorney.
I have 8 vehicles and some commercial stuff with State Farm. ZR1 added 195.00 a month.
jamesw2066 is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:01 PM
  #7  
2019 ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
2019 ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA.
Posts: 2,346
Thanked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Default

WOW!!!! I have Erie 830 credit score with a good driving record and for the year mine is only $890. They set it up that I wouldn't be driving it for 3 months out of the year. I switched from Gieco 3 years ago when they tried to screw me when I added my 16 Z06. I can give you guys a piece of advice and tell you to check rates from several other companies every 5 years. You will be surprised how that will get you a better quote. I've been in the car business for 23 years and have learned a lot. Granted I'm from Pittsburgh PA. and I'm sure insurance is cheaper here than other areas but holy ****..
2019 ZR1 is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 10:48 PM
  #8  
YeloZ06
CF Senior Member
 
YeloZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Kailua Kona Hawaii
Posts: 379
Thanked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Default

The cost of the insurance does answer the full question . Since 2008 people are fooled by move to Geico and save $500. Thatís because the average person needs to save $500. The more important question is what are your coverage limits for the price. Cheap insurance is stupid. When you get into an accident you will get what you paid for. Iím not saying this to be an *** I believe Iím just stating facts.

I was smashed into in 2013 and got two herniated discs in my back, spent over a year in hell in more pain than Iím already in. The driver didnít have enough coverage to cover the costs for my medical bills let alone the $18,000 they had to put into my car.

This is called uninsured/underinsured coverage. The guy who hit me at a red light had crappy insurance and was underinsured. Iím a fee based financial planner and donít sell car insurance but am well versed in it.

I recommend for my clients to have $250,000/$500,000 coverage for liability and the same for uninsured/underinsured coverage. In Hawaii we also have a feature called stacking. When the guy went through the red light he not only hit the car I was driving but in theroy all my cars. Suddenly I had $250,000 times four total coverage. Stacking is cheap to add if itís offered in your state. Your zip code also effects the cost of coverage and other factors. Today I have seven cars including a new ZR1. They are all stacked.

Lastly, also recommend to clients to have a personal property policy (umbrella policy). This coverage protects you for an accident weather you caused it or someone else. They are very inexpensive. Work with a good agent and get several quotes. Remember, cheap is expensive!
YeloZ06 is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YeloZ06 For This Useful Post:
aaslanmd (03-04-2019), DebRedZR1 (02-22-2019), HooosierDaddy (02-22-2019), ROBWILKER (02-21-2019), Runnn (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 PM
  #9  
ROBWILKER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ROBWILKER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 298
Thanked 97 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
I am currently adding my ZR1 to my AAA coverage. My annual premium for that car will be $1,705 and that's will multicar/house/garaged/alarm/good driver/etc.discounts virtually no miles being put on it (sub-5k), and no commuting. Along with my art cars I am considering finding a proper collector car carrier instead. I am now open to suggestions. I am in CA.
Hagerty was the best by far for me on a 2019 ZR1, $140K agreed value policy with 250/500K limits and zero deductible. $1156.00 per year. No mileage restriction. $3700 per year for three late model Corvettes and two Camaros, ZL1s plus driver's club towing & road service on all houshold vehicles. All agreed value policy with same limits and zero deductibles. Grundy wanted over $12K annual with higher deductibles. I would definitely give Hagerty a chance to quote. The only restriction for Hagerty was that the car quoted could not be your daily driver.

Last edited by ROBWILKER; 02-22-2019 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Amt. correction
ROBWILKER is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 AM
  #10  
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Huntingdon Valley Pa
Posts: 18,721
Thanked 378 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Erie has been the best for us, ZR1 and turbo s Porsche, each both are under 1000 a year with 500,000/500,000/200,000 coverage, plus with Erie I have the option to drop the insurance for 3 months (Dec, Jan, Feb) and save even more

Last edited by hcvone; 02-22-2019 at 06:31 AM.
hcvone is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to hcvone For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 06:36 AM
  #11  
cartester
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 86
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
I am currently adding my ZR1 to my AAA coverage. My annual premium for that car will be $1,705 and that's will multicar/house/garaged/alarm/good driver/etc.discounts virtually no miles being put on it (sub-5k), and no commuting. Along with my art cars I am considering finding a proper collector car carrier instead. I am now open to suggestions. I am in CA.
Mine is $1580 annually for the ZR1 also with AAA and also with the same multicar/house/garaged/alarm/good driver/etc.discounts. $500K limit with $1000 deductible. I also have an umbrella policy with AAA. Difference could be age and location.
cartester is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 06:40 AM
  #12  
cartester
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 86
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria View Post
I wonder if the ins co figures the car will be spending half of its time being CERTIFIED for emmission requirements in CA. .
Well, I put a few hundred miles on the car more than I would have just for that damn smog cert. But it did sit waiting in the DMV parking lot for hours on end while I waited my turn inside.
cartester is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 AM
  #13  
SPDYC6
CF Member
 
SPDYC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2000
Location: O'Fallon IL
Posts: 98
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
I am currently adding my ZR1 to my AAA coverage. My annual premium for that car will be $1,705 and that's will multicar/house/garaged/alarm/good driver/etc.discounts virtually no miles being put on it (sub-5k), and no commuting. Along with my art cars I am considering finding a proper collector car carrier instead. I am now open to suggestions. I am in CA.
i would check with the corvette museum, I'm paying less than $1,000 in the St Louis area.
SPDYC6 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM
  #14  
DebRedZR1
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
DebRedZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: West MICH, and JAX, FLA
Posts: 17,471
Thanked 942 Times in 554 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C View Post
Thats good! I have all the discounts, perfect record/credit score and mine is $3600/yr in Michigan. Although I store it during the winter.

Try Hagerty, they were cheaper annually but wouldn't let me store it and remove the collision so it wouldn't work for me.
M, I have Auto owners in Michigan. I pay about half that. Run Standard Collision and 1000 deductibles.
DebRedZR1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DebRedZR1 For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 AM
  #15  
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member
 
HooosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,180
Thanked 80 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Buys $150,000 car (toy).... complains about $1700 insurance
HooosierDaddy is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 AM
  #16  
2019 ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
2019 ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA.
Posts: 2,346
Thanked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy View Post
Buys $150,000 car (toy).... complains about $1700 insurance
With me it's not about the money it's more about feeling like I'm getting screwed. I give my agent tons of customers so he gives me a good deal on my insurance. I do have 2 houses and 3 vehicles with him and also my business insurance with him.
2019 ZR1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 2019 ZR1 For This Useful Post:
hcvone (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM
  #17  
2019 ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
2019 ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA.
Posts: 2,346
Thanked 207 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YeloZ06 View Post
The cost of the insurance does answer the full question . Since 2008 people are fooled by move to Geico and save $500. Thatís because the average person needs to save $500. The more important question is what are your coverage limits for the price. Cheap insurance is stupid. When you get into an accident you will get what you paid for. Iím not saying this to be an *** I believe Iím just stating facts.

I was smashed into in 2013 and got two herniated discs in my back, spent over a year in hell in more pain than Iím already in. The driver didnít have enough coverage to cover the costs for my medical bills let alone the $18,000 they had to put into my car.

This is called uninsured/underinsured coverage. The guy who hit me at a red light had crappy insurance and was underinsured. Iím a fee based financial planner and donít sell car insurance but am well versed in it.

I recommend for my clients to have $250,000/$500,000 coverage for liability and the same for uninsured/underinsured coverage. In Hawaii we also have a feature called stacking. When the guy went through the red light he not only hit the car I was driving but in theroy all my cars. Suddenly I had $250,000 times four total coverage. Stacking is cheap to add if itís offered in your state. Your zip code also effects the cost of coverage and other factors. Today I have seven cars including a new ZR1. They are all stacked.

Lastly, also recommend to clients to have a personal property policy (umbrella policy). This coverage protects you for an accident weather you caused it or someone else. They are very inexpensive. Work with a good agent and get several quotes. Remember, cheap is expensive!
Trust me I know a little about this.. You have to do your homework when selecting an insurance company. Just because you pay more for a policy doesn't mean it's better insurance. I own 2 car lots and have worked with lots of insurance companies and can tell you more doesn't always mean better.
2019 ZR1 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 AM
  #18  
punky
CF Senior Member
 
punky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Bonita Springs FL
Posts: 3,410
Thanked 289 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1 View Post
With me it's not about the money it's more about feeling like I'm getting screwed. I give my agent tons of customers so he gives me a good deal on my insurance. I do have 2 houses and 3 vehicles with him and also my business insurance with him.
This is a very valid perspective. Anyone who has business experience knows that insurance companies are going to screw you financially as hard as they can and still keep your business. Your are not "in good hands" and none are "on your side" when dealing with any these outfits on a claim. You need to deal with them with eyes wide open.
punky is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to punky For This Useful Post:
2019 ZR1 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:56 AM
  #19  
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member
 
HooosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,180
Thanked 80 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1 View Post
With me it's not about the money it's more about feeling like I'm getting screwed. I give my agent tons of customers so he gives me a good deal on my insurance. I do have 2 houses and 3 vehicles with him and also my business insurance with him.
We all need to perform due diligence in these areas, and I agree that having the relationship with the agent is probably one of the best things you can do for insurance. Not only for rates, but when you really need them they will know how to work within their system to benefit you. The thing now is to by your insurance online and never see an agent, not the best way to protect yourself IMO.

I'm just amazed that someone with a frivolous purchase of a ZR1 is worried about 1700 annual insurance. I guarantee any collector policy will only benefit OP with agreed value, the rest of the coverage is not adequate for anyone with assets to protect. OP needs to find a good agent to work with!
HooosierDaddy is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 AM
  #20  
range96
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,229
Thanked 111 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by punky View Post
This is a very valid perspective. Anyone who has business experience knows that insurance companies are going to screw you financially as hard as they can and still keep your business. Your are not "in good hands" and none are "on your side" when dealing with any these outfits on a claim. You need to deal with them with eyes wide open.
Excellent advice!
range96 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: